College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm in lovely Spokane, having taken my daughter on the college visit/tour to Gonzaga. She's going to apply, and I would guess she's get accepted. Then we'll see what happens.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:10 pm I'm in lovely Spokane, having taken my daughter on the college visit/tour to Gonzaga. She's going to apply, and I would guess she's get accepted. Then we'll see what happens.
I think what happens is she starts complaining about seeding for mid majors in the NCAA tournament because none of the power conference teams will play them.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:10 pm I'm in lovely Spokane, having taken my daughter on the college visit/tour to Gonzaga. She's going to apply, and I would guess she's get accepted. Then we'll see what happens.
I think what happens is she starts complaining about seeding for mid majors in the NCAA tournament because none of the power conference teams will play them.
One of the key parts of the tour was the explanation of the 'Tenting/Lining up for basketball tickets". Sounds like quite the ordeal.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I’m sitting outside the Admissions Office at Swarthmore right now while my son has an interview. It’s a really beautiful campus and interesting school.

We visited Dartmouth on Saturday and Brown yesterday. I was surprised by how much I liked Brown.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm The news that your kids are at 35 ACTs is making me hyperventilate. Q has come a long way since the dyslexia was diagnosed in 3rd grade but he’s not a great standardized test taker and even with tutoring I would be thrilled if he can just get to a 26-28. And places turning your kids down at 35s with great grades? Fuck.
So...this thread helped to make me and Jen decide to start Q on ACT tutoring this summer (before start of his junior year). The thought from Jen and I was to have him do the tutoring when he wasn't distracted by...classes (junior year the hardest at his HS). Wasn't sure if he would buy in and work at it given the summer and all, but...he did. And we wanted him to take the ACT early to maybe get it out of the way so he sat for in early September. He did qualify for accommodations, bfj and dave, which helped.

In any event, he just found out today that he pulled a 29. Brought tears to my eyes, I know how hard he worked at that. It's not the 30s but it is somewhere between 91st and 93rd percentile and that should be ample to give him a lot of options next year when his senior year hits. And it takes standardized test stress off his plate for this year and next.

The tutoring place raised his score by 6 points (he took a practice test when process started to establish a baseline). They could not have been better for him, individual tutor over 12 sessions. Would be glad to recommend the company. A lot of relief from me. He's super smart, but jumping through this particular hoop was a worry.
Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm I’m sitting outside the Admissions Office at Swarthmore right now while my son has an interview. It’s a really beautiful campus and interesting school.

We visited Dartmouth on Saturday and Brown yesterday. I was surprised by how much I liked Brown.
You can sing the Mamas & Papas line to yourself all day you are at Swarthmore.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm The news that your kids are at 35 ACTs is making me hyperventilate. Q has come a long way since the dyslexia was diagnosed in 3rd grade but he’s not a great standardized test taker and even with tutoring I would be thrilled if he can just get to a 26-28. And places turning your kids down at 35s with great grades? Fuck.
So...this thread helped to make me and Jen decide to start Q on ACT tutoring this summer (before start of his junior year). The thought from Jen and I was to have him do the tutoring when he wasn't distracted by...classes (junior year the hardest at his HS). Wasn't sure if he would buy in and work at it given the summer and all, but...he did. And we wanted him to take the ACT early to maybe get it out of the way so he sat for in early September. He did qualify for accommodations, bfj and dave, which helped.

In any event, he just found out today that he pulled a 29. Brought tears to my eyes, I know how hard he worked at that. It's not the 30s but it is somewhere between 91st and 93rd percentile and that should be ample to give him a lot of options next year when his senior year hits. And it takes standardized test stress off his plate for this year and next.

The tutoring place raised his score by 6 points (he took a practice test when process started to establish a baseline). They could not have been better for him, individual tutor over 12 sessions. Would be glad to recommend the company. A lot of relief from me. He's super smart, but jumping through this particular hoop was a worry.
That's awesome. Congrats to Q.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That’s great news, bengal! Congrats to Q and to you and your wife for being proactive.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm I’m sitting outside the Admissions Office at Swarthmore right now while my son has an interview. It’s a really beautiful campus and interesting school.

Don’t get this reference at all. Off to the googles!
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Wha? I feel like that song is part of my DNA.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Cass was gonna go to Swarthmore, then bounced! Off to LA eventually, where McGwinn and McGuire, couldn't get much higher, though they tried...
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Cass was gonna go to Swarthmore, then bounced! Off to LA eventually, where McQuin and McGuire, couldn't get much higher, though they tried...
Yet she still managed to put on the Freshman 15.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That’s gonna be used against you at a future Senate confirmation hearing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That’s outstanding! Way to go Q!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great hustle by your son TB.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Temple and Drexel are both really nice schools. He really likes Temple, but it will be a reach for him and I may not be able to afford it anyway. I think his list is:

Towson
Temple
Drexel
Salisbury

But that could change next week if we go on more School visits. Is it wrong if I push for Philly schools so I can meet some Philly Swampers?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:34 pm Temple and Drexel are both really nice schools. He really likes Temple, but it will be a reach for him and I may not be able to afford it anyway. I think his list is:

Towson
Temple
Drexel
Salisbury

But that could change next week if we go on more School visits. Is it wrong if I push for Philly schools so I can meet some Philly Swampers?
Man education has changed when you can’t even send the little Jew to Temple.

tip your waitresses
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is Temple more expensive than Drexel?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

From my experience it’s all about the financial award you can get. BU offered a great deal for us. It was almost same as her living on campus at uk.

Now. Granted it doesn’t cost 600 for my wife and younger daughter to get downtown Lexington in November for a visit...

(On the vasectomy weekend no less)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

What AB said. Temple would be more of a reach for my son so they could be less likely to offer much in the way of financial aid if he gets accepted.

Drexel is a school that may offer better financial packages to get him to come to their school.

Or they could all tell him to fuck off and he goes to CCBC (Community College of Baltimore County).
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:34 pm Temple and Drexel are both really nice schools. He really likes Temple, but it will be a reach for him and I may not be able to afford it anyway. I think his list is:

Towson
Temple
Drexel
Salisbury

A friend/colleague has his oldest at Salisbury, and his son is thriving there, for what it's worth. Really positive experience, his kid is about to enter his senior year. Just got back from six week internship in New Zealand, working a job in AV/TV production, I think.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I spent last weekend with my daughter down in LA, looking at schools. We toured Chapman on Friday and Redlands on Saturday. I was super impressed with both, but she liked Chapman more. I think that Redlands is too small (about 2400 students), and is way out on the edges of the sprawl (its out past San Bernadino) for her liking.

We toured the Dodge film school at Chapman, and wow...very impressive. She's not looking at going into film school, but she's interested in Business/Marketing, so she's thinking about doing a business major, and then minoring (Chapman requires students to do a minor in something) in Film/entertainment PR and Marketing. She also really liked the area around Chapman (Orange County) and the weather. She also admitted to me that she is looking to get as far away from her Mom as possible.

She's applying to a bunch of schools...Chapman, Redlands, Northwestern (her reach school...she doesn't want to go there, but that's where her Mom went), Fordham (no idea where that one came from), UW, Santa Clara, and Gonzaga. (she's already been accepted into WSU as her safety school). I think its going to come down to either Gonzaga or Chapman, but if she gets into this one highly competitive business program at UW, she will likely go there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Exciting times Dave. One of these days we'll need to get together on one of my trips to UW. Slammed this time already though.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jack was accepted to Towson University. He’s very happy and so is my wallet.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:46 pm Jack was accepted to Towson University. He’s very happy and so is my wallet.
A win win!

Congrats!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nice!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

America East 4 lyfe
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Awesome!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:46 pm Jack was accepted to Towson University. He’s very happy and so is my wallet.
Awesome BFJ! Congrats!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congratulations!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nice
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Congrats BFJ! And to your boy as well of course.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Now he has choices. He was accepted to Salisbury University also.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I hear their steak is nice.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 pm I hear their steak is nice.
Take that to the Red Meat thread!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:28 pm
Now he has choices. He was accepted to Salisbury University also.
Double well done, Bfj. Congrats to Jack!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Good lacrosse schools (historically). Congrats!
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I basically missed the college visit process with my oldest six years ago, so am excited to get to do some visits with Q - he’s on back half of his junior year in HS. On a long weekend trip to Wooster, Kenyon, and Denison through Ohio. Mostly confirming how much nicer i could have had it years ago instead of Earlham. Also, confirming that Q, if he gets into any of those, is gonna definitely need some sort of package. The full sticker price nowadays really is insane.