NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jim Calhoun up for the job at St. Joes....the D3 version in West Hartford.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

"The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that four college basketball coaches at Auburn and Oklahoma State University and had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:"The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that four college basketball coaches at Auburn and Oklahoma State University and had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company"

Coaches from USC and Arizona have also been arrested. And it sounds like Louisville (shocker!) and two other schools (located in Florida and South Carolina, so likely UF/FSU and Clemson/So. Car.) were also part of the scheme.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Auburn assistant Chuck Person, Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans, Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson and USC assistant Tony Bland.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:"The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that four college basketball coaches at Auburn and Oklahoma State University and had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company"

Coaches from USC and Arizona have also been arrested. And it sounds like Louisville (shocker!) and two other schools (located in Florida and South Carolina, so likely UF/FSU and Clemson/So. Car.) were also part of the scheme.

Maybe this will be what sinks Pitino.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Florida school is private, Miami seems to fit the description.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:

https://twitter.com/buzztulsa/status/912688751930900481
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:

https://twitter.com/buzztulsa/status/912688751930900481

Jeebus.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I want to see these head coaches say they didn't know this shit was going on with a straight face.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:I want to see these head coaches say they didn't know this shit was going on with a straight face.

I'm not sure Pitino's face is capable of expression these days so if anyone can pull it off he can.

(let the record show I don't hate Pitino the way most of UK's fanbase does. I appreciate what he did here, but I also realize he probably didn't start doing this shit when he got to Loserville (I still hate the school as much as any member of BBN), it just became more compelling for him to work in the gray because he wasn't at a true blue blood anymore)
Last edited by A_B on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:I want to see these head coaches say they didn't know this shit was going on with a straight face.

I'm not sure Pitino's face is capable of expression these days so if anyone can pull it off he can.

Brian: likes this post
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote:I'm not sure Pitino's face is capable of expression these days so if anyone can pull it off he can.

I can't wait for the tearful press conference where Rick again tells us about his brother-in-law who died on 9/11.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
A_B wrote:I'm not sure Pitino's face is capable of expression these days so if anyone can pull it off he can.

I can't wait for the tearful press conference where Rick again tells us about his brother-in-law who died on 9/11.

Pat Forde will be there to dry his tears.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He prematurely ejaculates.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Forde has already posted 13 Tweets about the story without once mentioning Louisville being implicated. He's really going to the mat for his drinking buddy Pitino.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Should probably just read the warrants or indictment but why is this a federal case instead of another NCAA issue?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote:Should probably just read the warrants or indictment but why is this a federal case instead of another NCAA issue?

Bribery/fraud and one assumes tax evasion at some point.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

NYC? Hard to imagine any of this was going on in NYC other than maybe the Adidas guy or something banking related.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Jeebus. Bet they werent expecting that this AM.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Joe K wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Forde has already posted 13 Tweets about the story without once mentioning Louisville being implicated. He's really going to the mat for his drinking buddy Pitino.

Mea culpa. Forde just posted a column saying Louisville should get the death penalty if the $100K payment is proven true.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pitino probably told him to say that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Honestly, hard to see how they DON'T get the death penalty at this point. If they don't, then what's the point of even having it on the books?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

To keep uppity smaller schools from trying to force their way into the picture?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

So coaches cant accept money to refer players to financial advisors? Sounds like something you know you shouldnt do but also sounds like something you wouldnt expect to be put in jail for doing. The complaint blathers on and on but thats the gist.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Similar deal with the other case. I mean you know you dont pay to have a kid go to school but somehow they have cheated the institution and government out of financial aid because of a false certification that they didnt violate NCAA rules? Government needs to find something better to do.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So much to digest - this is a good overview - these are probably just the first domino's to fall (Wetzel piece):

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-arm ... 24346.html

None of this is any surprise for anyone who follows the sport. Proving it, though, has always been nearly impossible … neither the NCAA nor investigative reporters have the resources of the FBI, nor the ability to provide the legal pressure that flips someone into a cooperating witness.

So now the lid is off the jar and where this ends is anyone’s guess.

Tuesday, college coaches were calling emergency staff meetings and coaches at all levels were consulting attorneys. This is an entirely different level than anyone has seen before, not a mostly toothless NCAA, but a motivated FBI and U.S. Attorney in New York looking to make a big media splash.

And splash they will. Even if there aren’t legal ramifications for everyone, the recruiting dirt that is about to get turned over will be unprecedented. The code of silence that has protected the sport and the NCAA’s system of “amateurism” is about to be cracked in a million pieces under FBI questioning, where a single lie is a felony.

The NCAA may be backed into a corner where it needs to blow up one of its signature revenue producers. And financial planners don’t just care about basketball. Football players make big money, too.

In basketball, nearly everyone has recruited Brad Augustine’s “1 Family Hoops” out of Florida, which is annually loaded with talent as one of Adidas’ signature programs. Nearly everyone knows powerful Adidas executive Jim Gatto, who was arrested, too. All of the indictments Tuesday stem mostly from the acts of one financial planner and one agent.

There are many more who operate the same way. Who knows when the heat shifts to them.

Big, bigger … biggest scandal ever.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote:Similar deal with the other case. I mean you know you dont pay to have a kid go to school but somehow they have cheated the institution and government out of financial aid because of a false certification that they didnt violate NCAA rules? Government needs to find something better to do.

Good press. Prosecutors love this stuff. Lance Armstrong, Spitzer, Balco, etc. If you are making a decision on what to spend time on you go for impact. Media = impact too.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

More:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... asketball/

Overview

Schools are not on the hook, according to United States Attorney Joon Kim. The assistants at USC, Arizona, Oklahoma State and Auburn are all implicated, but neither the schools themselves -- nor the head coaches at those schools -- have been levied with any allegations.

The men involved: Financial advisers, former NBA agents, Adidas representatives and assistant coaches

The corruption: The aforementioned money men linked up with assistants to funnel players to schools with specific ties to shoe companies. Cash was exchanged when money managers and advisers (among others) wound up "secretly funneling cash to the families of high school recruits," Kim said Tuesday afternoon. Sometimes that money was delivered in cloaked ways, like through a youth grassroots basketball program.

There are three separate, official complaints tied to the two schemes. The first scheme was to get assistant coaches to lure players to specific college programs. The second scheme was to get money to the families of those players. The goal was for the player to have an allegiance to the shoe company (Adidas) after he left college.

It all started with a cooperating witness. How did the FBI manage to get involved in the shrouded world of college recruiting?An unidentified financial advisor, who was charged in 2016 by the SEC with fraud, became cooperating witness after those charges were filed. The witness informed the FBI, as means of cooperation, that he could bring light to fraud and corruption in the world of college recruiting because said witness had been party to it in the past.

The bribes: The alleged payments ranged from $13,000 to $100,000, according to Kim.

Two undercover agents were used in this process. There were hundreds of conversations covertly recorded. The FBI is not working in the dark; it has coaches accepting bribe money in person from undercover agents and has on tape those coaches speaking on being party to the illegal schemes.

The NCAA was not notified of the investigation. The FBI revealed during its press conference on Tuesday that the NCAA was unaware of the investigation until Tuesday morning.

There is no timetable for this case. It is ongoing, and the fallout is very much to be determined. It could be many months, even more than a year, before everything is resolved.

The case could expand - massively: There is also an element of having another shoe drop here. Because those who have been charged could be given an option to reduce their potential sentences or legal punishments, names of others who have cheated could be named.

I call everyone's attention to the last part that I bolded. The assistants arrested have ZERO reason not flip on everyone they know at this point. This ain't the mob (well, maybe except for Pitino), if they can implicate others to reduce their probable sentences, they will.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Does the NCAA want to stop this embarrassment? Maybe time to seriously look at paying athletes. Some form of it anyway. Everything that is now uncovered we all know has been going on. But the Feds being involved and indicting angle shines a light on it that is new in terms of details etc.

As for why the Feds involved, that kind of money is changing hands, under the table, all it took was one person getting squeezed to expose it. In hindsight, surprised it took this long...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

tennbengal wrote:The assistants arrested have ZERO reason not flip on everyone they know at this point. This ain't the mob (well, maybe except for Pitino), if they can implicate others to reduce their probable sentences, they will.

How could they not flip? My second thought, after my disgust that no head coaches were named, was exactly this; they'll get named soon enough.

tennbengal wrote:In hindsight, surprised it took this long...

This has long amazed me. Long like decades.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

howard wrote:
tennbengal wrote:The assistants arrested have ZERO reason not flip on everyone they know at this point. This ain't the mob (well, maybe except for Pitino), if they can implicate others to reduce their probable sentences, they will.

How could they not flip? My second thought, after my disgust that no head coaches were named, was exactly this; they'll get named soon enough.

tennbengal wrote:In hindsight, surprised it took this long...

This has long amazed me. Long like decades.

They're gonna sing like they are in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Oh the singing they will do. Literally, they have no reason to stay quiet. They will never work in college basketball again - NCAA will at the very minimum give them all lifetime coaching bans. What do they have to protect at that point? Singing is coming. All the singing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rumors circulating that UL may be planning a news conference. Not sure how plugged in those sources are.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Going to join the chorus - I can't believe it took this long for someone like this financial adviser to get snared.

This has been the worst kept secret... Well, maybe throw in CFB, though the incentive and payment system is different.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote:
Joe K wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Mea culpa. Forde just posted a column saying Louisville should get the death penalty if the $100K payment is proven true.

Scorned lover.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I don't know how many of you dabble in team-specific message boards, but the amateur sleuthing can be enjoyable. Some of the people at a Syracuse board are parsing the documents and drawing links to players Boeheim was unable to get commitments from based on where they ended up going. Even one of the local beat writers has tweeted everything but a name in connecting Point A to Point B with a player who committed to Arizona.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I don't know how many of you dabble in team-specific message boards, but the amateur sleuthing can be enjoyable. Some of the people at a Syracuse board are parsing the documents and drawing links to players Boeheim was unable to get commitments from based on where they ended up going. Even one of the local beat writers has tweeted everything but a name in connecting Point A to Point B with a player who committed to Arizona.

Yeah, I feel really confident that Beilien and MI are running one of the cleaner programs in the country. After the Fab 5 fiasco, the administration pretty much said that any coach coming in better run it clean or they'll be out on their ear in a nanosecond. School doesn't need a good basketball program. Shit, when I was lived there in the 80s, LOTS of people didn't care for the football program, too. Just not the culture there. (I'm talking specifically about the school administration and faculty. Pretty well-documented history of tension over academics vs. athletics in Ann Arbor.)

But, you know... It's so fucking pervasive... You just can't be sure until this thing washes out.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Doesn't the IRS carry the big hammer here? The mere whisper of an attack on a tax exemption would pretty much end this discussion. Schools would line up to abandon big time athletic programs.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

NCAA President Mark Emmert called the nature of the charges "deeply disturbing" in a statement released later Tuesday.
"We have no tolerance whatsoever for this alleged behavior," Emmert said. "Coaches hold a unique position of trust with student-athletes and their families and these bribery allegations, if true, suggest an extraordinary and despicable breach of that trust. We learned of these charges this morning and of course will support the ongoing criminal federal investigation."

This fucking guy. We have failed so miserably in our oversight that the politicians have had to step in and handle our regulatory responsibilities.