NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by brian »

If it was mutual would have happened in April. The timing is really curious. The list of targets by tOSU was hysterically ridiculous (it included Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan if that gives you any ideas). Almost makes you wonder if they really legitimately think they can get one of those guys and wanted to wait until their teams were eliminated from NBA playoffs.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Thad Matta out by mutual agreement
Holy shit. That's insane. There has to be more to that story.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Some stuff from the updated ESPN article:
"I felt comfortable after the season when I sat down with Thad that we had a plan. [But] recruiting is a major part of it, and we weren't winning the recruiting battles," (tOSU AD Gene) Smith said. "As we started talking about it Friday, the flow of the conversation took me to the realization as I said to him, 'This might be the time to make a leadership change,' and he agreed."

One source told ESPN that Matta wanted to keep coaching. At a news conference Monday, Matta said "never say never" to the possibility of him returning to the sideline.

Matta mentioned "trying to get healthy" as one reason for leaving the job. He has battled health issues for much of his time in Columbus, including emergency back surgery in 2007. He wears a brace on his right foot due to nerve damage.
Some scuttlebutt is that Matta's back problems (there are some days he cannot get out of bed) is keeping him from recruiting hard and subsequently losing out on some battles there.

Also of note is that tOSU is also paying for the three remaining seasons on Matta's contract, which makes me lean toward "firing" over "mutual decision".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So either they "transition" this year with an assistant or some mid-major is about to get their season royally fucked, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:So either they "transition" this year with an assistant or some mid-major is about to get their season royally fucked, right?
If recruiting is legitimately the concern I don't see how they can go with an assistant. That'll kick the can down the road on their recruiting to the 2019 class basically. They'll be fucked for the rest of the decade.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

mister d wrote:So either they "transition" this year with an assistant or some mid-major is about to get their season royally fucked, right?
The other option is NBA guys (Hoiberg, Stevens, Kurt Rambis...)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Dave Dickerson, the associate head coach, was a head coach at Tulane for five years between nine years at Maryland and seven at tOSU. Chris Jent, who has bounced between benches at tOSU and the NBA/NBDL, and Greg Paulus are the other assistants.

In other words, they have a couple candidates on staff for the interim move, Dickerson if they want to do the "national search", as promised, or Jent if they want to give the former player a shot at the long-term spot.

Just seems like a shitty time to try to bring in a permanent guy with summer recruiting coming up and already being so far behind.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting discussion of Gene Smith's process.
...Typically, athletic directors wait things out. They privately know one more subpar season will be the last for their coach, then they let their coach go 6-12 in the league before doing what they basically already knew they were going to do a year earlier. They delay the inevitable. But Smith decided to fast-forward the process. He must've known, deep down, that one more bad season would force him to make a coaching change -- at which point he looked at Ohio State's roster, after a double-digit scorer quit and a Class of 2018 priority decommitted while the staff missed on multiple high-level recruiting targets that could've theoretically helped next season, and concluded, probably accurately, that there was no way for the Buckeyes to avoid that bad season.
So why wait?
If you've already decided three straight years without an NCAA Tournament appearance was going to be the end for Matta, and there's no reason to think Ohio State will make the NCAA Tournament next year, Smith concluded ... why wait and cause your next coach to miss out on the Class of 2018? ...
LINK
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's all well and good, but that decision would have been just as reasonable to make in mid-April and would have made the process of hiring a new coach a lot easier for tOSU.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:That's all well and good, but that decision would have been just as reasonable to make in mid-April and would have made the process of hiring a new coach a lot easier for tOSU.
Perhaps back in April, Smith thought recruiting would go better for Matta? I'm not defending him. It's awfully unusual timing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay, not Thad Matta type news but Billy Hahn retires. I like that they call Bob Huggins "Huggy bear"
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-wvu ... hn-retires
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hahn can get fucked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:Hahn can get fucked.
From the article:
Hahn began his career in Charleston, assisted at Davidson, Rhode Island and Ohio University, but really earned his stripes as an assistant at Maryland and WVU. He was also a head coach at La Salle from 2001 to 2004. He served as a WVU assistant coach from 2007-11 and as assistant to the head coach since 2011.
Hmmm... I wonder why his head coaching career lasted only 3 seasons and why it took 3 more years for him to get a job anywhere? The article makes him seem like such a gregarious guy ("Huggy Bear"!) so he must've been focusing on charity work or something!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He sure seems to have kept quiet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:That's all well and good, but that decision would have been just as reasonable to make in mid-April and would have made the process of hiring a new coach a lot easier for tOSU.

I missed this thread somehow, but the thing is... If you were watching this program closely, they have had DISASTROUS recruiting over the last 4 or 5 years. They are going into next season having lost out on a bunch of JUCO and graduate transfers... unless something happens soon, looking at their roster they have two centers and two guards. The recruiting has been down right horrible.

I know this is written by and posted on a biased UM source, but it's a pretty good overview of Thad's recent woes: http://mgoblog.com/content/what-happene ... basketball

The bottom line is that even with highly ranked recruiting classes, since the 2011 team, most of the recruits just haven't panned out. And the writing on the wall started to show up in 2015, got worse in 2016 and 2017 -- unless they MASSIVELY outperform, they are looking at being bottom 2 or 3 in the B!G. They didn't make the NCAA in 15 and missed the NIT this season.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They should throw all of their money at Jay Wright.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's all true, Nonlinear. But it doesn't explain firing him in June, after the carousel has wound down. I'm guessing the AD told him he had to do some stuff, his body wouldn't let him, so he got canned unceremoniously, for one part to help with the 18 recruiting class more than anything this year(which i think Brian said).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote:That's all true, Nonlinear. But it doesn't explain firing him in June, after the carousel has wound down. I'm guessing the AD told him he had to do some stuff, his body wouldn't let him, so he got canned unceremoniously, for one part to help with the 18 recruiting class more than anything this year(which i think Brian said).

Yeah, absolutely bizarre timing. I was responding to what looked like some folks who seemed surprised he was let go.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like maybe going above mid-major and gunning for McDermott at Creighton.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Sounds like maybe going above mid-major and gunning for McDermott at Creighton.
Probably as good as they can get short of an NBA coach. Solid.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've seen rumors about Buzz Williams of Virginia Tech. That would be a great hire if they could pull that off.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

B1G-ACC Challenge matchups set
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Duke at Indiana
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Miami at Minnesota
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at North Carolina
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
Florida State at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Wisconsin at Virginia
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest

Pitt is left out
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Holtman agrees to replace Matta. Sucks for Butler.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Next time someone mentions the "epidemic" of transfers ...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh shit...I think Louisville just had their 2013 title stripped.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:Oh shit...I think Louisville just had their 2013 title stripped.

I believe Louisville has 45 days to identify which players were given improper benefits during that time and must vacate any wins they participated in. So if at least 1 player on the 2013 title team was involved, it'll get vacated. Hilarious that the biggest Calipari hater in the national media, Pat Forde, will instead see his co-author and drinking buddy Pitino get a title stripped.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell have been implicated as being there. So that should seal the deal on that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Vacating titles and games won is entirely dumb. The NCAA is dumb.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:Vacating titles and games won is entirely dumb. The NCAA is dumb.

I generally agree with you but I don't mind seeing louisville geting pegged down!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Vacating titles and games won is entirely dumb. The NCAA is dumb.

I generally agree with you but I don't mind seeing louisville geting pegged down!
I mean, fuck the NCAA. It happened. We all saw it happen. The games were played. Etc. Making that a part of the punishment is fucking stupid.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, Pitino intimates that the NCAA gave Jimmy V cancer.

"“I’ll finish up with this story. I once saw Jimmy Valvano, and this was way before he got sick and I recommended him for a pro job and he was coaching some tough times at NC State. I saw him later on when he was just getting sick and I said, ‘Jim, how do you feel?’ And he said, ‘You know, the NCAA investigation broke down my immune system.’ And I always thought about that and I asked Bobby if that was true, did I remember it the right way and he said yes. And believe it or not, it can tear you apart, inside and out.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:Also, Pitino intimates that the NCAA gave Jimmy V cancer.

"“I’ll finish up with this story. I once saw Jimmy Valvano, and this was way before he got sick and I recommended him for a pro job and he was coaching some tough times at NC State. I saw him later on when he was just getting sick and I said, ‘Jim, how do you feel?’ And he said, ‘You know, the NCAA investigation broke down my immune system.’ And I always thought about that and I asked Bobby if that was true, did I remember it the right way and he said yes. And believe it or not, it can tear you apart, inside and out.”
Pitino's victim complex is truly something. I thought he had some cojones when he tried to use 9/11 as an excuse for the Karen Sypher scandal, and then said that everyone should mourn Ted Kennedy's death instead of talking about that scandal, but this is even better. I would guess that 99% of NCAA coaches would have been fired by their universities in 15 seconds or less if one of their assistants set up a brothel for players and recruits. That's pretty much the definition of "lack of institutional control." And yet this guy acts like a martyr over getting a 5-game suspension.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K wrote:Pitino...comple.Ted...in 15 seconds or less...That's pretty much the definition of "lack of...control."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
Joe K wrote:Pitino...comple.Ted...in 15 seconds or less...That's pretty much the definition of "lack of...control."

That's a little too perfect.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:... tit...s and ...A... is dumb.

I generally agree with you but I don't mind seeing ...u... geting pegged ...ow...!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So sad, that Dr. Pitino will soon be dead from the cancer.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

howard wrote:So sad, that Dr. Pitino will soon be dead from the cancer.
Hopefully, he'll be buried in his white suit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote:
A_B wrote:

I mean, fuck the NCAA. It happened. We all saw it happen. The games were played. Etc. Making that a part of the punishment is fucking stupid.
In those bubbles and pockets where people attach way too much of their personal identity and happiness to a sportsball team... Taking down the banners and vacating the titles is a big deal.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe a doctor has already diagnosed that, and he throws out the Jimmy V. story so he can blame them twice.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Hopefully, he'll be buried in his white suit.