NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by Shirley »

I haven't read any of the bigger articles yet. Can someone succinctly explain how this is an issue for the FBI? There are some huge, fundamental NCAA rules being violated here, but what's the federal issue?
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:I haven't read any of the bigger articles yet. Can someone succinctly explain how this is an issue for the FBI? There are some huge, fundamental NCAA rules being violated here, but what's the federal issue?

As a general matter the feds have pretty broad leeway to prosecute any type of interstate fraud. I haven't read any of the indictment, so I'm not sure what exactly the fraud theory is here, but I assume that these payments were disguised and not reported for tax purposes.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

As expected, pitino has gone full "no clue what happened"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:As expected, pitino has gone full "no clue what happened"

He's coached his last college basketball game. Like a chicken with its head chopped off it's just a question of how long it takes him to realize he's already dead.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe K wrote:
Shirley wrote:I haven't read any of the bigger articles yet. Can someone succinctly explain how this is an issue for the FBI? There are some huge, fundamental NCAA rules being violated here, but what's the federal issue?

As a general matter the feds have pretty broad leeway to prosecute any type of interstate fraud. I haven't read any of the indictment, so I'm not sure what exactly the fraud theory is here, but I assume that these payments were disguised and not reported for tax purposes.

Yeah, I think the fact that Adidas is central to the case moves it from "Coach did some things" to "Coach did some things in the name of international company."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

No official word yet on Pitino, but I hear it's coming in 10 seconds or so.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jurich (the AD) is gone after having a five-minute meeting with the university president. Boxes were being moved into a black Lexus at the Louisville basketball practice facility before Pitino had his own five-minute meeting with the president.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:No official word yet on Pitino, but I hear it's coming in 10 seconds or so.

Can I steal this for my 1,000th tweet?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:No official word yet on Pitino, but I hear it's coming in 10 seconds or so.

Looks like you already did, but yes.

Also, he just did actually get fired right after you tweeted, so people may miss the joke.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
A_B wrote:

Looks like you already did, but yes.

Also, he just did actually get fired right after you tweeted, so people may miss the joke.

Yeah I ... jumped the gun a bit.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/913064749910413312

Funny how a school will fire a guy for misdeeds, but there is always another school willing to whore itself out to get a proven winner.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:

Funny how a school will fire a guy for misdeeds, but there is always another school willing to whore itself out to get a proven winner.

It's mroe a joke about him lasting less than a minute, I think.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wish you'd let that stand.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The good anagram is back: Not Cream
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Is that Tom Crean's music?!?!?!

https://twitter.com/LisaKerneyESPN/stat ... 3513836547

#FireUpChips
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:

Somethingsomething sloppy seconds.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Currently buying stock in British Knights
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

+/- on this jumping tracks into football?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote:+/- on this jumping tracks into football?

Pretty unlikely. There are bagmen in football of course, but it's seldom if never related to shoe companies. So probably less of a paper trail, federal grounds for prosecution, etc.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:+/- on this jumping tracks into football?

Pretty unlikely. There are bagmen in football of course, but it's seldom if never related to shoe companies. So probably less of a paper trail, federal grounds for prosecution, etc.

Yeah. And basketball AAUs are ripe for the picking, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the most likely shakeout from this is that the NCAA will have to get rid of the "one and done" rule. It really just exacerbates these kind of shenanigans. If a kid wants to sign a shoe contract out of high school and play in the pros, let him. Let the kids who actually want to (or need to) go to college play in college.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:I think the most likely shakeout from this is that the NCAA will have to get rid of the "one and done" rule. It really just exacerbates these kind of shenanigans. If a kid wants to sign a shoe contract out of high school and play in the pros, let him. Let the kids who actually want to (or need to) go to college play in college.

You think the NBA is willing to support and promote the G-League enough to compete with college hoops for attention? The shoe companies still want A B to shell out for his UK swoosh gear and Plank's Baltiflage Terps stuff.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I mean, I'm buying UK gear no matter who is on the court/field. That's not really an issue. The issue is letting Marvin Bagley get paid and sign a shoe deal right away instead of wasting his time on a campus.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote:I mean, I'm buying UK gear no matter who is on the court/field. That's not really an issue. The issue is letting Marvin Bagley get paid and sign a shoe deal right away instead of wasting his time on a campus.

Sure and Marvin can get his Nike dough and play in Souix Falls, Canton, and Deleware or be the big man on campus at UK. Actually this is less about guys like Bagley but more about the really good high school kids who will not start be a 6th man in year 1 (The Alex Len, Melo Trimble, etc). Schools will still bend over backward to get AB to cheer for them.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess I see what you're saying, but maybe you need to pick someone other than AB for this particular hypothetical!

BBN!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The NCAA doesn't have a one-and-done rule, the NBA does. Its unenforceable from the NCAA side.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
A_B wrote:I mean, I'm buying UK gear no matter who is on the court/field. That's not really an issue. The issue is letting Marvin Bagley get paid and sign a shoe deal right away instead of wasting his time on a campus.

Sure and Marvin can get his Nike dough and play in Souix Falls, Canton, and Deleware or be the big man on campus at UK. Actually this is less about guys like Bagley but more about the really good high school kids who will not start be a 6th man in year 1 (The Alex Len, Melo Trimble, etc). Schools will still bend over backward to get AB to cheer for them.

AB would like that. But Bagley's at Duke.

BTW, while I like exposing these cheats in college hoops, I still can't shake the idea that this is a ridiculous target for federal prosecutors. The actual money amounts here are pretty damn small. And the only clearly illegal thing I can see is the tax evasion of gifts over $10K, which really doesn't seem like a big deal. Yes, I know that technically bribery of someone who works at a school getting federal funds is illegal, but come the fuck on. Louisville isn't exactly a government agency.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

BTW, while I like exposing these cheats in college hoops, I still can't shake the idea that this is a ridiculous target for federal prosecutors. The actual money amounts here are pretty damn small. And the only clearly illegal thing I can see is the tax evasion of gifts over $10K, which really doesn't seem like a big deal. Yes, I know that technically bribery of someone who works at a school getting federal funds is illegal, but come the fuck on. Louisville isn't exactly a government agency.

I don't know if domestic bribery laws are interpreted similarly, but I do know that the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which prohibits bribery of foreign government officials, does apply to bribes paid to employees of public universities in other countries. So if an employee of a US public company bribed an official at a foreign public university to get a contract selling something to that university, it is considered bribery of a foreign government official.

With that bit of legal technicality aside, I think you raise valid points about prosecutorial priorities. But if there's one thing federal prosecutors like, it's a high profile case that will get a ton of media attention. This investigation started when Preet Bharara was still the U.S. Attorney for that district, and Bharara loved getting positive media attention. (I'm fairly convinced he's going to run for Governor or U.S. Senator at some point.) There's a reason why Bharara is the only recent U.S. Attorney that more than a handful of non-lawyers have heard of.*

*As an aside, another example of this is Bharara playing up the fact that he was "fired" by Trump, and even suggesting it was Russia-related, when in fact Trump asked every Obama-appointed U.S. Attorney to resign, which is not an uncommon practice historically.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

Bagley ? We don't need no stinking bAgley!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

via timgod and the old style 140 twitter

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The lack of a period after the "I" drives me insane.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

So Pitino is coach #2. Nike just got served papers...look out Kentucky.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/report-nike ... -escalates

Just in case you want more details...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:http://usatodayhss.com/2017/report-nike-eybl-employees-subpoenaed-by-fbi-as-amateur-basketball-scandal-escalates

Just in case you want more details...

Oh my God! Is that?! Could it be?!

THAT'S JOHN CALIPARI'S MUSIC!!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So 3 UCLA players get arrested in China for shoplifting from Louie V including LiAngelo Ball. China usually holds folks for a month before charges and give strict sentences. Obviously the consulate is involved.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Such a profoundly stupid thing for those kids to do. I mean, first of all, shoplifting anywhere is dumb. Doing it in China is super dumb. Doing it in China when you are 6'5" black guys is legendarily dumb.
Totally Kafkaesque