NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I could not find a new thread. We are starting the 2nd games for lots of teams. Still in blowout land (unless you are a Maryland squeeking one out against American) but better games are coming (including those great Thanksgiving holiday tourneys in warm places). Tonight we have Georgetown v. Maryland. Hoyas are the favorite. 6:30 tip off is a strange time.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by A_B »

UK/Mich State and Duke/Kansas tonight as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

UConn is 0-2, having lost to traditional powerhouses Wagner and Northeastern, both at home.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Every year I say I'm going to take today off and every year I don't.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I missed the Purdue - Nova game last night. Saw tip off and Swanigan score the first bucket. Close game, anyone watch?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whites.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote:UConn is 0-2, having lost to traditional powerhouses Wagner and Northeastern, both at home.
If not for Shabazz Napier, Kevin Ollie would be coaching D3 ball somewhere in Bumblestan, Flyover Country.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

UVA was 8 seconds away from holding a team under 30 tonight.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I almost never go to a basketball game, but a Stanford-alum friend of mine just invited me to join him this weekend to see his alma mater play my alma mater, Colorado State. I'm just glad its basketball score, and not SAT scores.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Hoyas just gave the game to the Terps at the end. The officials were below average with lots of touch fouls (the T on Turgeon was crazy and an official baiting a coach).
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Exciting finish to the Kansas-Duke game. Big shot by Mason to end it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

duff wrote:Exciting finish to the Kansas-Duke game. Big shot by Mason to end it.
Yeah, those are two talented teams. Great guards on Kansas. Pretty damn good on Duke too. Crazy that Duke had three likely lottery picks in suits on the bench.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow. UVA has dismissed Austin Nichols from the program.

http://virginia.247sports.com/Bolt/Virg ... m-49072809

For those who don't know, he was a transfer from Memphis. He sat out all of last year and has played in only one game now for UVA. He was widely expected to be the leading scorer and have a huge year. At least one preseason list had him as an All-American.

That's a big decision by Tony Bennett.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:Wow. UVA has dismissed Austin Nichols from the program.

http://virginia.247sports.com/Bolt/Virg ... m-49072809

For those who don't know, he was a transfer from Memphis. He sat out all of last year and has played in only one game now for UVA. He was widely expected to be the leading scorer and have a huge year. At least one preseason list had him as an All-American.

That's a big decision by Tony Bennett.
The Reddit rumor mill is pointing to cocaine. UVA only suspended their starting lacrosse goalie for a year for his incident this summer
streaking the lawn wrote:According to a report in Ocean City Today, “...police noticed Barrett was cutting white powder using a credit card on the kitchen table. After entering the unit and asking Barrett about the white powder, police reported he first claimed it was Adderall before admitting it was cocaine.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

UVA just held their second consecutive team under 40 points. Yale scored 38 today after averaging over 90 in their first two games.

They host awful Grambling St on Tuesday. The TIgers may not get to 30.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Took the family to see Towson v. Maryland today. Strange game. Terps could not hit anything from the outside in the 1st half and the Tigers are big. In the first half Towson had Arnaud William Adala Moto (Transfer from Wake) playing point-forward. Maryland was down 11 at one point in the 2nd half but got hot from the 3 point arc. Melo had a quiet 27 points and Freshman Justin Jackson had 21 (glad the kid from Toronto decided not to go to UNLV). Towson will be a very good team in the CAA. The Terps are going to get killed on the boards this year if Dodd gets in foul trouble.

Also Towson's coach looks like he is playing defense every time the ball is down the court. Fun to watch him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I just witnessed a masterclass from the Breslin Center clock operator. Somehow 3.7 seconds at the time of a missed free throw/timeout melted into 0 seconds for FGCU to get a shot off in the resulting full court inbounds play. I'd describe it further, but....you just had to be there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Beating them by 21 no longer means that much to me.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote:They host awful Grambling St on Tuesday. The TIgers may not get to 30.
Grambling got hot late to get to 34. It was 49-9 at the half.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote:I just witnessed a masterclass from the Breslin Center clock operator. Somehow 3.7 seconds at the time of a missed free throw/timeout melted into 0 seconds for FGCU to get a shot off in the resulting full court inbounds play. I'd describe it further, but....you just had to be there.

This got a write-up on Deadspin. Just the last 2.4 seconds was enough to see how egregious that was.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This U.K. Team can score a bunch in a hurry. Interested to see what gives when they play an elite defensive team.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:This U.K. Team can score a bunch in a hurry. Interested to see what gives when they play an elite defensive team.
They were better today but I'm worried about UK's lack of outside shooting apart from Monk. If he struggles against a good team I'm just not sure who else can hit outside shots.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Good early season tester from a surprising MI team. Playing 4=0 So Carolina coming in with the same record.

They handily beat an SMU team that ran them off the floor last year. All of a sudden MI has 3 or 4 bigs, where they had very little going on in the 4-5 spots last year.

Not many folks thought this team looked all that promising coming into the season. They are starting to raise some eyebrows. A win in Columbia is going to really get some attention. (from those paying attention to teams in the 20-40 range, to be clear.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:This U.K. Team can score a bunch in a hurry. Interested to see what gives when they play an elite defensive team.
They were better today but I'm worried about UK's lack of outside shooting apart from Monk. If he struggles against a good team I'm just not sure who else can hit outside shots.

Mulder and Willis need to be adequate. Anything from mulder is jouse money.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:

One thing I do find very encouraging about this year's Kentucky team is that they are playing at a much faster tempo than previous Calipari teams at Kentucky. Other than the 2009-10 team that had Wall and Bledsoe, every Calipari team has played at a moderate to slow pace, which has always bothered me. When you are deeper and more athletic than your opponents, which Kentucky typically is, it's clearly advantageous to play a high-tempo game with more possessions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:

One thing I do find very encouraging about this year's Kentucky team is that they are playing at a much faster tempo than previous Calipari teams at Kentucky. Other than the 2009-10 team that had Wall and Bledsoe, every Calipari team has played at a moderate to slow pace, which has always bothered me. When you are deeper and more athletic than your opponents, which Kentucky typically is, it's clearly advantageous to play a high-tempo game with more possessions.
I'd agree but I don't think he had the ball handling personnel to push like this before. Fox, Briscoe, Monk and to a lesser extent Hawkins (as part of the second unit) can get the ball downcourt in a hurry. Andrew Harrison for two years being the lead guard couldn't do that for sure. Knight didn't have a running mate.

I'm loving the long outlet passes, too. Team needs to get better at closing out shooters, but I like the direction they are heading.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:

I'd agree but I don't think he had the ball handling personnel to push like this before. Fox, Briscoe, Monk and to a lesser extent Hawkins (as part of the second unit) can get the ball downcourt in a hurry. Andrew Harrison for two years being the lead guard couldn't do that for sure. Knight didn't have a running mate.

I'm loving the long outlet passes, too. Team needs to get better at closing out shooters, but I like the direction they are heading.
Andrew Harrison was a clearly flawed player who can't shoot but his one big advantage over opposing point guards was size and athleticism. So I think he could have been more effective in a transition game than in a halfcourt setting. Even the 2012 NCAA Champions played at a slow pace overall. But on the occasions where they got up-tempo, they looked unbeatable. For example, they blew Kansas off the court in the first half of the title game, but then Cal put the brakes on at halftime because they had a big lead. I don't think Kansas ever got it down below 6 or 8 in the second half, but that game could've been a 30-point blowout had Kentucky kept running for two halves.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well. Andrew was also pretty slow. And nowhere near the finisher that Briscoe and the others are this year. I think he was a good player, but I think he ranks near bottom of the list of UK point guards in the Calipari era - which admittedly doesn't make him a slouch.

And the 2012 team played slower because they didn't have a real backup point guard. I know we aren't arguing, but you're kinda proving my point.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Actually playing your future lottery picks is so passe.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So apparently the Ivy League players are a bit smarter than their out of conference oppontents.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... bles-clock
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

ACC-B1G is underway. Tied at 1-1 after the first night.

Some good ones tonight. Badgers-Cuse and Terps-Pitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just want to throw it out there because it might not last that a Chippewa is leading the nation in scoring. Marcus Keene, a transfer from Youngstown State, at 30.4 PPG.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Isiah Thomas celebrates the IU win over Carolina last night:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I don't follow the Summit League real closely. But just saw that the head coach of the Ft. Wayne Mastodons ( Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne) is a Washington & Lee Grad who overlapped with me 2 years. Having a very good year with a win against Indiana and a 9 point loss to Arkansas. 6-2 overall. I remember watching him play (one of my friends on the lacrosse team also played hoops).

Also IPFW is the only NCAA college to use an extinct organism as its mascot.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Terps v. Oklahoma St last night was a great thriller. Common theme for the terps. Get behind by 10+ with about 12 to play. Trouble on the boards and inconsistent shooting. Fight back and hold on to win by 1 or so because nobody can guard Cowan or Trimble off the dribble going to the hoop.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Another big game for the nation's leading scorer.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched Duke tonight. The freshman Jayson Tatum was pretty awesome. As good as advertised, even though he looked a bit out of shape. What's scary is that he's supposed to be only the second best freshman on that team. Of course, we may never see Harry Giles play. I'm not sure Duke needs him.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:I watched Duke tonight. The freshman Jayson Tatum was pretty awesome. As good as advertised, even though he looked a bit out of shape. What's scary is that he's supposed to be only the second best freshman on that team. Of course, we may never see Harry Giles play. I'm not sure Duke needs him.
I heard about Tatum as soon as I moved to St. Louis, because he was a huge HS star here. He threw St. Louis University a bone and made them a "finalist" for his college choice, along with Duke and Kentucky, which was probably just a nod to his hometown and to Larry Hughes, who played for SLU and is Tatum's godfather.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:Another big game for the nation's leading scorer.

CMU was pretty good last year, if I remember correctly. Are they the team to beat in the MAC West?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
brian wrote:Another big game for the nation's leading scorer.

CMU was pretty good last year, if I remember correctly. Are they the team to beat in the MAC West?
No one really knows. The MAC West sucks so they might be. For what it's worth they were picked sixth out of six in the preseason coaches poll, but I thought that was pretty ridiculous myself. They lost three seniors last year, but had a lot of really good younger players. But no one knew Keene would be this good.