Ball of Confusion

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Ball of Confusion

Post by Pruitt »

My wife loves "The Good Wife" and I watch it with her on occasion. The soap opera elements leave me cold, but a well written show nonetheless.

But what has really caught my attention is its portrayal of how nasty and unjust the city's courts and legal processes are for the poor. Surely, it's an exaggeration?

No.

This story is horrifying - this should not be happening anywhere, let alone in the middle of a large city filled in a democracy.

I am shocked at what I read here.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... -thousands
The narcotics, vice and anti-gang units operating out of Homan Square, on Chicago’s west side, take arrestees to the nondescript warehouse from all over the city: police data obtained by the Guardian and mapped against the city grid show that 53% of disclosed arrestees come from more than 2.5 miles away from the warehouse. No contemporaneous public record of someone’s presence at Homan Square is known to exist.

Nor are any booking records generated at Homan Square, as confirmed by a sworn deposition of a police researcher in late September, further preventing relatives or attorneys from finding someone taken there.

“The reality is, no one knows where that person is at Homan Square,” said Craig Futterman, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School who studies policing. “They’re disappeared at that point.”

“Try finding a phone number for Homan to see if anyone’s there. You can’t, ever,” said Gaeger. “If you’re laboring under the assumption that your client’s at Homan, there really isn’t much you can do as a lawyer. You’re shut out. It’s guarded like a military installation.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I try not to pay close attention to what any politician says, but did Netanyahu really say the Holocaust happened because an Arab cleric convinced Hitler to do it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I try not to pay close attention to what any politician says, but did Netanyahu really say the Holocaust happened because an Arab cleric convinced Hitler to do it?
Yes, he did, repeating a myth that's been long debunked in an effort to further demonize Palestinians. It's a joke that Netanyahu gets invited to Congress to give speeches when his attempts to sabotage any reconciliation with Iran or Palestine are directly adverse to U.S. interests in the region.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:I try not to pay close attention to what any politician says, but did Netanyahu really say the Holocaust happened because an Arab cleric convinced Hitler to do it?
Yes, he did, repeating a myth that's been long debunked in an effort to further demonize Palestinians. It's a joke that Netanyahu gets invited to Congress to give speeches when his attempts to sabotage any reconciliation with Iran or Palestine are directly adverse to U.S. interests in the region.
Republicans get to speak in Congress, and they went many steps further than Bibi in sabotaging reconciliation with Iran, directly adverse to US interests. Fuck, they wrote a letter to the Iranian government declaring a Republican President would completely ignore the nuclear treaty.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"What to make of the fact that the Jewish state, of all places, has a Holocaust revisionist for a prime minister"

Yep, the headline - from "The Forward" a very reputable American Jewish publication - is sadly accurate.

http://forward.com/opinion/israel/32313 ... -and-matt/

Netanyahu is one of the scummiest politicians I have ever seen. A couple of days ago in a speech to the World Zionist Congress, he said this jaw dropper -
“Hitler didn’t want to exterminate the Jews at the time,” the prime minister said. “He wanted to expel the Jews. And Haj Amin al-Husseini went to Hitler and said: ‘If you expel them, they’ll all come here,’” meaning Palestine. Netanyahu continued: “’So what should I do with them?’ he asked. He said, ‘Burn them.’”
And CNN of course did its due diligence when reporting the story.
Numerous news accounts of the dustup simply report, like CNN’s Greg Botelho, that the facts can’t be nailed down. “There’s no video or audio, not even a transcript, that can definitively prove Netanyahu’s account of the conversation between Hitler and Husseini,” Botelho wrote.

Actually, there is a record — possibly two, in fact. Hitler’s translator, Paul Otto Schmidt, took notes at the meeting, and they’re readily available. (Find the English translation here or here.) Moreover, the mufti himself kept a diary. The common Internet version of what are said to be his notes from his Hitler powwow (here) tracks closely with Schmidt’s minutes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Two Governments in Venezuela
Venezuela’s ruling “Chavista” coalition has responded to the setback suffered in the December 6 parliamentary elections, when it lost its long-standing majority to the opposition Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD), by installing a parallel “communal parliament” that aims to exercise the same powers of the National Assembly under the Constitution.
This will not end well.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The country, once awash in oil money, is broke. Thanks to a decade and a half of communist economic policies. It is pretty spectacular they have not fallen into widespread violence or civil war, with the US/CIA engineered coup and the quick countercoup that restored Chavez in 2002. I was pleasantly surprised at the peaceful acceptance of the election results by the Maduro regime at the beginning of the month, but I just needed to wait a few more days I suppose. With or without the CIA mucking around, yeah this could be bad.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Republicans, under Paul Ryan, with what feels like a score of braying jackasses moaning about the deficit running for the White House, have proposed massive tax cuts with no way to pay for them.

Hypocrisy died in this country a long, long time ago.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote:Angry Protesters Ransack and Torch Saudi Embassy in Iran After Mass Execution

The Middle East is such a clusterfuck.
Nah, you're overreacting if you think Iranians attacking a foreign embassy will have massive geoplolitical implications.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Angry Protesters Ransack and Torch Saudi Embassy in Iran After Mass Execution

Nah, you're overreacting if you think Iranians attacking a foreign embassy will have massive geoplolitical implications.
Intentional or not, that's good shit.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:

Nah, you're overreacting if you think Iranians attacking a foreign embassy will have massive geopolitical implications.
Seeing Iranians attack Saudis makes me oddly happy (in a geopolitical sense).

Like being a kid and seeing The Sheikh attack Waldo von Eric.

But I really worry about how this will impact life in Croatia.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A bunch of armed white people are executing their privilege in Oregon.

This Twitter account is a fun journey into psychosis of individuals who don't understand reality:

https://twitter.com/rolandsmartin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So is the hashtag #OregonUnderAttack. #OregonUnderAttack: People slam lack of govt action after Bundy’s militia takeover in Oregon
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

#yallqaeda and #yeehawd made me laugh...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Didn't Jerloma post a "Y'all Qaeda" pic when that ridiculous Hobby Lobby/Chik-Fil-A girl decided to hold a bible with her AR-15 in front of an American flag? I remember reading that on here and everyone getting a good laugh at the name.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would like to bet $1 million that if it was ISIS and not a bunch of white hillbillies occupying federal land that right-wingers would be calling for air strikes and the Navy SEALs to take that shit back.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:I would like to bet $1 million that if it was ISIS and not a bunch of white hillbillies occupying federal land that right-wingers would be calling for air strikes and the Navy SEALs to take that shit back.
I'll bet $10 million dollars that if it was a group from "Black Lives Matter" they'd be calling for nuclear missiles.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

brian wrote:I would like to bet $1 million that if it was ISIS and not a bunch of white hillbillies occupying federal land that right-wingers would be calling for air strikes and the Navy SEALs to take that shit back.

I'd bet a mil that ISIS wouldn't take over a bird watchers' welcome center and call it an achievement. I think while it's technically true to call this a "federal building", it's also hyperbolic in this context. They're not occupying the Supreme Court.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Didn't Jerloma post a "Y'all Qaeda" pic when that ridiculous Hobby Lobby/Chik-Fil-A girl decided to hold a bible with her AR-15 in front of an American flag? I remember reading that on here and everyone getting a good laugh at the name.
My only Reddit comment was a response to a comment on that pic.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The other hysterical hashtag: #YokelHaram

It's so fun posting shit on my Facebook page for the TOP fundies to go nuts for.

I'm now a Senator from Obamaland!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:The other hysterical hashtag: #YokelHaram

It's so fun posting shit on my Facebook page for the TOP fundies to go nuts for.

I'm now a Senator from Obamaland!
I'm actually looking forward to reading the comments of your updates tonight.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seems like the Super-Geniuses didn't bring enough food to their stand off...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Seems like the Super-Geniuses didn't bring enough food to their stand off...
From The Guardian:
Bundy has repeatedly said the group is prepared for the long-haul. However during a tour of the site on earlier in the day, the Guardian was shown a food storage room that did not look like it could sustain a dozen men for more than a few weeks.

It included a cardboard box of apples and oranges, a few dozen pots of instant ramen, 24 cans of chicken noodle soup, a similar number of cans of sweetcorn, peas, beans and chili, and 20 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

There were also three sacks of potatoes, one bag of flour, another of rolled oats, boxes of raisins, a single bag of pretzels and one granola bar.

It's winter. Best move for the authorities would be to cut off the entrance to the reserve and let these freedom fighters turn to cannibalism, or surrender so they could look for the nearest Golden corral.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd say send in some tanks and the National Guard to kill all these idiots but I'd be worried some birds might get killed.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just turn off the power (its cold in them thar hills!), and shut down the nearest cell phone power and these guys will be begging for food, heat, and media access is 3 hours.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Just turn off the power (its cold in them thar hills!), and shut down the nearest cell phone power and these guys will be begging for food, heat, and media access is 3 hours.
DiS should be running things!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man, America must have been so wonderful before there were any rules.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Just turn off the power (its cold in them thar hills!), and shut down the nearest cell phone power and these guys will be begging for food, heat, and media access is 3 hours.
DiS should be running things!
No thanks. I don't even like running meetings at work.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Is it true that the government is illegally trying to force the Hammonds out of their land?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Is it true that the government is illegally trying to force the Hammonds out of their land?
No. And in fact they get tremendous grazing rates from the gov't compared to private landholders. Their issue with "their" land is they claim it, with no real right. At least that's what I understood.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You mean like they stopped paying taxes on it?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:You mean like they stopped paying taxes on it?
No, they're claiming federal land as their own. You can graze livestock on federal lands for a fee (and like AB said an incredibly cheap one in their case relative to what you or I might be expected to pay), but at the end of the day it's still government land.

In the case of the Bundy assholes in Nevada, it's similar though they're opposed to paying any fees for grazing their cattle on government land because they don't recognize the right of the federal government to own land.

In a nutshell that's what it comes down to -- these idiots are so far off the reservation they don't think the federal government has any right to own land.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:You mean like they stopped paying taxes on it?

Yes, in a way because it isn't a tax but a fee for use. Or maybe that was the land in nevada they have. Maybe I have the two mixed up, but the main crux seems to be that they say the land was theirs and they shouldn't have to pay to use it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Got it. Thanks.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Maybe I have the two mixed up, but the main crux seems to be that they say the land was theirs and they shouldn't have to pay to use it.
That and they should be able to "manage" it anyway they want, including starting brush fires that will magically respect property lines.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So they lit the fire on their land and it spread into the federal land?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, I think. Something like 139 acres of federal land. This is a good write up of everything:
http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/easte ... ars-prison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, this Reddit thread really had some people that get into significant details. That top comment is something.