MLS 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: MLS 2017

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Theory that niche sports have smarter fans on average? The "best" Yankees fans I know were ambivalent about Girardi's firing but the takes from below were wacky.

could be possible, but soccer also has some wacko fans as we all know. perhaps in MLS it's tamped down

I was just on the SBN blog reading the comments and they were fairly benign. A lot of agreement that the team needs to find another goal scorer or two and a creative player along with some youth. And SKC found a lot of youth before this year too. A lot of key new players are under 26.

With the USMNT guys (Besler/Zusi/Feilhaber) all between 31-33 next year, 2018 is probably the last hurrah. and it'll probably end on the road in the playoffs again.

I too will be between 31-33 next year. I will go cry now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not sure I understand the problem. SKC is good every year and they win trophies, what is wrong with that? Is it because they are boring?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote:Not sure I understand the problem. SKC is good every year and they win trophies, what is wrong with that? Is it because they are boring?

I wouldn't say it's a problem or even call them boring. I'd say "frustrating." They can play really entertaining soccer but the story has been the same ever since they won the title -- the finishing is sub-par at best. They can do everything but provide a great final ball and put something on frame (or not right down the goalie's throat).

Again, it's the spoiled fan thing. Complaining about the playoff streak is kinda dumb. But it's necessary and even important to wonder how a team hits such a wall at the end of the season. It's happened before but this year was really pronounced. And it's also a bit frustrating I think to see a core of Besler/Zusi/Sinovic/Feilhaber/Espinoza(when not in England)/Dwyer win a title in 2013 when they're all in their 20s and have nothing but one and done road losses to show for it after.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote:They can play really entertaining soccer but the story has been the same ever since they won the title -- the finishing is sub-par at best. They can do everything but provide a great final ball and put something on frame (or not right down the goalie's throat).

Isn't that the complaint of every fan of a good team? Finishing is hard. I'd love to see stats on whether certain teams really are especially good at "finishing". (I have to see, it certainly seemed like Alan Shearer really was good at that back in the day, but I wonder how valid that is.) Otherwise it sounds to me like baseball fans complaining at a lack of clutch hits.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You can compare actual goals to expected goals, as tracked by folks like these:

http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/team-xg-2017/

If you equate "finishing" to actual goals minus expected goals, Atlanta was the best finishing team in MLS while SKC was the second worst. Both scored 0 goals in 120 minutes last night. You can't predict soccer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Isn't that the complaint of every fan of a good team? Finishing is hard.

Maybe not every good team, Steve.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote:You can compare actual goals to expected goals, as tracked by folks like these:

http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/team-xg-2017/

If you equate "finishing" to actual goals minus expected goals, Atlanta was the best finishing team in MLS while SKC was the second worst. Both scored 0 goals in 120 minutes last night. You can't predict soccer.

Kansas City also led the league with 56% possession. That + horrible finishing = frustration.

(And the scoreless through 90 games last night followed nine goals the previous night)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote:
Giff wrote:This is like the golden age of Houston sports, huh?

Giff, buddy, by now you have to know how this works.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/stat ... 0825111552

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/924094606245007360
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Bradley and Jozy should get a warm reception tonight from all the Costa Ricans at Red Bull Arena
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I do, too. And having the real playoffs start in mid-November might give the league more flexibility to start later or add more rest days.

Of course, a simpler solution to the issue of ties, and of top teams not getting enough of a break, is to give the higher seed the tiebreaker, as they do in Mexico and some other Western Hemisphere leagues.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Me too. I think that it could end up being very unique and even iconic for the league. And a lot easier to explain to newcomers (from recent experience, explaining the current playoff format is an absolute chore).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

I do, too. And having the real playoffs start in mid-November might give the league more flexibility to start later or add more rest days.

Of course, a simpler solution to the issue of ties, and of top teams not getting enough of a break, is to give the higher seed the tiebreaker, as they do in Mexico and some other Western Hemisphere leagues.

Like this idea.

By the way, there might have been 10,000 people in the stands in New York last night. Do they not draw well?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

Like this idea.

By the way, there might have been 10,000 people in the stands in New York last night. Do they not draw well?

I haven't paid close attention for a few years, but as of a few years ago, it was not uncommon for playoff games in MLS to not draw as well. Teams do a lot of work for group sales etc. throughout the season to bolster attendance for regular season games. It's harder to do that for playoff games.

So some places can have big and even huge crowds, like Atlanta did. Real Salt Lake generally did well selling playoff tickets. But in a lot of places attendance wasn't that great for playoffs, especially midweek games.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That and the schedule gets weird since they're competing with pointy-ball.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Olympic qualifier Sean Johnson rearing its head at the wrong time
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Premier league is kinda the only league that matters.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shut the fuck up, Rex.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

WHEN WILL THIS FRANCHISE EVER CATCH A PLAYOFF BREAK???????
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:WHEN WILL THIS FRANCHISE EVER CATCH A PLAYOFF BREAK???????

Yeah I mean no success is the 3 years of existence is probably too much to handle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(What if that were an RBNJ joke?)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:(What if that were an RBNJ joke?)

It would not have come from you and it would have included a picture of Tony Meola in New York New Jersey Metrostars gear pulling a ball out of the goal after getting scored on.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Surface level joke. I've learned enough to know (1) they hate being from NJ and (2) they've gone like two decades without any sort of title.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Surface level joke. I've learned enough to know (1) they hate being from NJ and (2) they've gone like two decades without any sort of title.

But they did have "Robles Saves and so does Jesus" signs all over the stadium.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well looks like Houston is going with the backup goalie for leg 2.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good on MLS.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Houston Chron had a bit more of the details. Appears he may have headbutt his girlfriend. (Insert Zidanne Joke or joke about actually not making contact and then having girlfriend roll on floor for 5 minutes before popping up to score game winner).

But in all seriousness MLS handled this one quickly and was clear on their approach. I think they have had a handful of issues in the past and have been consistent in their handling. It also seems like they collaborate with the Players Union on these issues.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ford Family joins in on MLS to Detroit. Means Ford Field could get more dates (like ATL United) instead of the 23K stadium at the Jail site.
http://sbisoccer.com/2017/11/ford-famil ... d-as-venue
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Have the Fords ever been involved in an MLS bid or shown any interest in soccer? That would be my first question.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That was completely gross from Toronto, but a compelling game nonetheless. Now we could really use an early goal from NYC here.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

like that
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Going out on a limb and saying “next goal is massive”.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Last year that’s it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This could be 6-0 easier than its 2-0.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote:That was completely gross from Toronto, but a compelling game nonetheless. Now we could really use an early goal from NYC here.

Tense but shitty game.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:Fuck.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote:That was completely gross from Toronto, but a compelling game nonetheless. Now we could really use an early goal from NYC here.

I watch about an hour of MLS every year at this point. Just so happened that 45 of those allotted minutes included the Red Bulls TFC game... What the ever loving fuck was that about last night. Altidore should've been out of the game before half time, so I guess he figured he'd get his bitch on in the tunnel and clear that off his to do list. And Giavinco's yellow was just stupid. Calm the fuck down. You are trying to salt away a game at home, why are you lighting a fire under the opposition.

I mean, it was compelling, but in a "what the fuck is wrong with these guys?" kind of way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Given that match and how Pirlo came on to wave goodbye and fire a few passes into the lower deck, is it realistic to say that maybe the big names (including Viera) don't really care all that much about a title?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, everyone seemed to care a bit TOO much in the game I watched. Like, how about being a fucking professional? And that really went all the way to the coaches, who apparently got into it at HT, as well.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.