MLS 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: MLS 2017

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Hamid and DC can't come to an agreement.

Interesting tidbits...
* twice they came to agreement only to have Hamid change his mind
* Not eligible for free agency (have to be 28 years old)
* Benched him to see what other options they have (but benched him when a German Scout was coming to take a look).
* His agent's company also represents a Blackpool goalie
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... af18619767
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

We'll take him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote:We'll take him.

I can't decide if DP/Transitional money is worth putting between the sticks. He is great, but if you have a budget to work with, I think you can get a really good goalie for less. I mean Robles is playing for $300K this year (but just signed an extension). Hamid is at $350 and now looking at the $700K range. Sean Johnson at $220K, $400K for Rimando, Blake is at $180K, Frei $250K, and Irwin is at $96K (because the big money player are on the field for Toronto). Guzan and Howard break the bank as DPs.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Are we sure they don't have him and Andre Blake confused? I got to see the latter on Wednesday and damn he's good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote:Are we sure they don't have him and Andre Blake confused? I got to see the latter on Wednesday and damn he's good.

Blake would be in England if it was not for Jamaica being so poor right now. Their FIFA ranking is too low for him to get through the work permit process.
https://www.brotherlygame.com/2017/9/18 ... to-england
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:I can't decide if DP/Transitional money is worth putting between the sticks.

I'm a "no" on that. The pool for serviceable-to-good keepers in the US will always be deep. TAM/DP money should be spent on field players (specifically good ball handlers, imo).
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

decisions, decisions... to renew or not...
2 year season ticket holder to NYRedbull...

NJ swampers -- i know it came up before? any interest in coming in with me on these? i have three seats..

if i go by results on the pitch.. no.. but i do like going to futbol.. plus i've made up some money by getting in early tix to usmnt and the barca games.. got to resale at a nifty profit.

1st world problems.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Unofficial reports that Nashville has been awarded a team. The MLSEC era is upon us.

EDIT: All that seems to be official is that their stadium deal has gotten the OK. The rest is either speculation or somebody with a really good source. Bad news for Cincy, though in my opinion the best move would be to bring them both in.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Altidore rated the worst ever Premier League striker - bit harsh, there's a few on the list a lot lot worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -20-1.html

Altidore looked big and strong, like anything could hit him and stick. He should have been a colossus, but he just wasn't.
Clumsy on the ball and wild in front of goal it was the worst of combinations to spearhead a struggling Sunderland side battling relegation.
He left for Toronto in January 2015, with a strike rate of one goal every 35 games that few Premier League strikers can hope to rival.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote:Altidore rated the worst ever Premier League striker - bit harsh, there's a few on the list a lot lot worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -20-1.html

Altidore looked big and strong, like anything could hit him and stick. He should have been a colossus, but he just wasn't.
Clumsy on the ball and wild in front of goal it was the worst of combinations to spearhead a struggling Sunderland side battling relegation.
He left for Toronto in January 2015, with a strike rate of one goal every 35 games that few Premier League strikers can hope to rival.

The fact that there are 19 players ranked below Soldado is amazing. That guy was hopeless.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Guess the MLS is now an all grown up pro league.
http://amp.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16/col ... rt-stadium
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Looking forward to seeing them build a 21,000 seater 30 minutes away from downtown Austin. That will be real progress.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:Looking forward to seeing them build a 21,000 seater 30 minutes away from downtown Austin. That will be real progress.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Where exactly in downtown Austin do they think they're going to build?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sunday is the last DC United game at RFK. They are doing a legends game at 1 before the match against Red Bulls. Participant in the legends game...Freddy Adu.

My connection to this game. I hacked the snot out of one of these participants in my last varsity high school game (State semifinal).

Dwayne De Rosario Luciano Emilio Alecko Eskandarian Marco Etcheverry
Christian Gómez John Harkes Dema Kovalenko Jaime Moreno
Ryan Nelsen Ben Olsen Clint Peay Troy Perkins
Santino Quaranta Thomas Rongen Robbie Russell Hristo Stoitchkov
Richie Williams Fred Geoff Aunger Freddy Adu
Mike Chabala Louis Crayton Lyle Yorks Devon McTavish
Eliseo Quintanilla Chris Rolfe Dave Sarachan Mark Simpson
Judah Cooks Micah Cooks Ryan Cordeiro Jordan Graye
Erik Imler Guy-Roland Kpene Antonio Otero Brandon Prideaux
Andrew Quinn Barry Rice Conor Shanosky Carey Talley
Joe Vide Jamil Walker A.J. Wood Ronald Cerritos
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:
Rex wrote:Looking forward to seeing them build a 21,000 seater 30 minutes away from downtown Austin. That will be real progress.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Where exactly in downtown Austin do they think they're going to build?

I read only spot was on the river? And immediately it was pointed out that if that was the spot, that it floods. A lot.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha ha ha good that'll toughen our boys up for their next trip to Trinidad ha ha ha!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:

I read only spot was on the river? And immediately it was pointed out that if that was the spot, that it floods. A lot.

Quad City River Bandit Fan and Davenport tax payers wrote:Right like that will ever happen

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bill Hamid won't resign with DC United. Looks like he is taking his talents to Midtjylland
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Guess the MLS is now an all grown up pro league.

Well at least they didn't do this in the shittiest way possible.

https://twitter.com/columbusbiz1st/stat ... 5581860865

Note that the announcement came shortly after the season ticket renewal deadline.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Cover Art for the Giveaway at RFK on Sunday

Alecko spitting Red Bull
the Racoon
Armadillo Trophy
Lassiter (he is the dog)
famous supports are in the poster
Shawn Kuykendall (DC player who passed away from cancer)
WaPos Soccer Insider
Pele holding Fredy Adu
The Pope wearing a DC United Kit
Robert Kennedy
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Stoked to be heading to PDX tomorrow for the final season match vs. Vancouver. First place in the West and Cascadia Cup on the line.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So if today was any indication, games on US soil are going to be pretty uncomfortable for Bradley & Jozy for a while
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dax McCarty Derby for a first round playoff match up tonight on FS1 (right now)
Late night we have Wondo v. the Caps.

tomorrow we have Houston v. the Wiz and Atlanta v. Soon to be Austin.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Guess the MLS is now an all grown up pro league.

Guardians take

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -texas-mls
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

winner of SKC-Houston hosts its second round home game at 9 p.m. on Halloween. good job MLS!

it'll be Houston. SKC has lost in the knockout round on the road in every season since it won the title in 2013.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ptsd
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That was a helluva game between Atlanta and Columbus.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kinda stupid why no home and home?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HaulCitgo wrote:Kinda stupid why no home and home?

because the playoffs already stretch into December as is
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

My kids r still playing so don't mean much to me.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Home and home starts the next round.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brontoburglar wrote:winner of SKC-Houston hosts its second round home game at 9 p.m. on Halloween. good job MLS!

it'll be Houston. SKC has lost in the knockout round on the road in every season since it won the title in 2013.

Probably some truth to the criticism of Vermes that his tactics push his players to hard throughout the season and fatigue catches them come playoffs.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

P.D.X. wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:winner of SKC-Houston hosts its second round home game at 9 p.m. on Halloween. good job MLS!

Probably some truth to the criticism of Vermes that his tactics push his players to hard throughout the season and fatigue catches them come playoffs.

this was also the first year of the "we're revamping training so we're fresh in the middle of the season and not at the beginning."

worked out well! they were first with five games left in the season and then got two points from those final five games and fell to fifth. all while becoming impotent in front of goal.

going hard for the US Open Cup probably hurt as well.

I'm the first to say that when you're bitching about seven-straight playoff appearances or whatever it is, you're a spoiled fan. but there's no other way to classify what happened this fall as anything but a collapse. this was the best team in MLS for a good stretch and they just crapped themselves.

it's fascinating how much of a pass SKC gets in Kansas City because it's soccer. if this was MLB/NFL, there would be hot-take artists going after PV and saying that he needs to be fired and there needs to be wholesale changes. instead, there will be relative silence.

there's also the whole Dom Dwyer thing. selling Dwyer made business sense and it didn't impact the team in the months after the sale as the team's tactics and style of play had moved away from Dwyer's style. but as the team was bad in front of goal over the past six weeks it's fair to wonder if Dwyer creates a goal or two that the other front players don't.

oh, and ticket prices for 2018 went up ~10%. my pair of season tickets is now $1440
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This is like the golden age of Houston sports, huh?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sabo wrote:That was a helluva game between Atlanta and Columbus.

Man, that was just so cool. One of the best sports things I have ever attended. The impromptu light show in extra time took it to a new level. I'll really never forget it.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/923720781699452929
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:This is like the golden age of Houston sports, huh?

Giff, buddy, by now you have to know how this works.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/stat ... 0825111552
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brontoburglar wrote:it's fascinating how much of a pass SKC gets in Kansas City because it's soccer. if this was MLB/NFL, there would be hot-take artists going after PV and saying that he needs to be fired and there needs to be wholesale changes. instead, there will be relative silence.

And the supporters?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

P.D.X. wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:it's fascinating how much of a pass SKC gets in Kansas City because it's soccer. if this was MLB/NFL, there would be hot-take artists going after PV and saying that he needs to be fired and there needs to be wholesale changes. instead, there will be relative silence.

And the supporters?

I haven't had a chance to search anything out -- but what I've seen on Twitter hasn't been takey. I kind of wonder if SKC is still in the goodwill phase for taking a floundering franchise and making it viable.

(there are people -- many media -- in Kansas City convinced PV should be the next USMNT manager)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Theory that niche sports have smarter fans on average? The "best" Yankees fans I know were ambivalent about Girardi's firing but the takes from below were wacky.