MLS 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: MLS 2017

Post by mister d »

And then there's Villa who works his dick off weekly. No idea if its a matter of effort or what's left in the tank, but we've seen both ends of the spectrum. (And I guess the middle of the spectrum with Lampard who was pretty great when he played but rarely played.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:
mister d wrote:Pirlo doesn't really play anymore.

I remember seeing a goal last year where he was guarding the post and just watched the ball fly by him.

It sure seems a lot of these aging European players who come here simply don't give a fuck or come to MLS when they really have nothing left in the tank. Steven Gerrard leaps to mind right away.

Yeah, watch Pirlo "defend" Giovinco's first goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizzpQ5Afkw
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DC United apparently tried to get Rooney before he decided to stay in the EPL. So now they are talking to De Jong (cause that worked out well for the Galaxy) and maybe looking at Krisztian Nemeth (who is with Al-Gharafa of the Qatari League after time with Sporting KC).

Nothing moving the needle for a team that is floundering and needs some excitement besides a new stadium next year (which also means starting a ton of games away, so a bad start could be terrible for the gate). Oh and Bill Hamid's contract expires at the end of the year.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So now they are talking to De Jong (cause that worked out well for the Galaxy)

If MLS is even remotely concerned about it's young, skilled players, that goon should never get a contract again.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

wlu_lax6 wrote:DC United apparently tried to get Rooney before he decided to stay in the EPL. So now they are talking to De Jong (cause that worked out well for the Galaxy) and maybe looking at Krisztian Nemeth (who is with Al-Gharafa of the Qatari League after time with Sporting KC).

Nothing moving the needle for a team that is floundering and needs some excitement besides a new stadium next year (which also means starting a ton of games away, so a bad start could be terrible for the gate). Oh and Bill Hamid's contract expires at the end of the year.

But hey, Dan Snyder on the way!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

https://twitter.com/KatreaseS_freep/sta ... 5314668544

This probably makes Detroit getting one of the last two available expansion teams a dead nuts lock. (Sacto and Miami will likely get the first two of four...the last two were considered up in the air, but two billionaires who own NBA teams building a $1B soccer stadium/retail/housing complex in the largest market in the country without an MLS team where a NPSL team (equivalent to Single A in baseball, if that) regularly draws crowds of 6,000 people to a high school football stadium built during the Depression...well, need I go on? The pitch sells itself.

ETA:

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/stat ... 5960705026

Note: Twellman is still an ass though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wlu_lax6 wrote:DC United apparently tried to get Rooney before he decided to stay in the EPL. So now they are talking to De Jong (cause that worked out well for the Galaxy) and maybe looking at Krisztian Nemeth (who is with Al-Gharafa of the Qatari League after time with Sporting KC).

If Nemeth comes back to MLS he's coming to Kansas City.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Lots of MLS transaction action
DC United trades Lamar Neagle to Sounders for a 4th round pick
Looks like United is also trading Bobby Boswell to United (the Atlanta version). Boswell is third in MLS’s record books for regular season starts by field player (360) and tied for fifth in games played (365)
This makes room for Bolivian forward Bruno Miranda on loan from Universidad de Chile and Hungarian national team midfielder Zoltan Stieber (Kaiserslautern).
Gary Medel (2x World Cup player from Chile/Inter Milan) was being heavily recruited by DC but appears he wants another Champions League run with Besiktas (DC was offering 10M over 2 years)

Houston signed Swiss defender Philippe Senderos. He is a a three-time World Cup veteran with the Swiss. Played with Arsenal, Milan, Everton, Fulham, Valencia, Aston Villa, Grasshoppers, and Rangers.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DC also picking up Russell Canouse. Former US U-20 and Hoffeinheim member (loaned out)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This is a DC United deal that gets me excited. Arriola via a $3 Million transfer fee, some stuff to get his rights from the Galaxy, and $1 Million salary.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... 0ae66348dc
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That Rafa Marquez?

Yes, *that* Rafa Marquez.

https://twitter.com/USTreasury/status/8 ... 2446920704
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote:This is a DC United deal that gets me excited. Arriola via a $3 Million transfer fee, some stuff to get his rights from the Galaxy, and $1 Million salary.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... 0ae66348dc

They've said all along that they weren't going to spend money until shovels were in the ground on a new stadium. True to their word.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sabo wrote:That Rafa Marquez?

Yes, *that* Rafa Marquez.

https://twitter.com/USTreasury/status/8 ... 2446920704

Mas..
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So in sports or whatever the Rapids sacked Mastroeni.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote:So in sports or whatever the Rapids sacked Mastroeni.

and yet Ben Olsen is still employeed
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Check out the highlights from DC v. Colorado and you will see why Howard and Hamid are currently 2/3 of the USMNT goalie corp. DC's reshuffle included a new goalie this week (played in Columbus before going to Europe). I think that is DC's way of saying, we think Bill is going to Europe if his knees stay healthy this winter (Bill's contract is up at the end of the year).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

-Camera angle/position sucks at Yankee Stadium.

-Jay Heaps is a handsome dude
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

- Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Interesting Guardian take on Atlanta

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... attendance
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sounders win on a "Handball in the box" penalty (off of a corner kick scramble) in the 93rd minute. Brutal way to lose a game for Minnesota.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

MLS is doing a whole bunch of things well right now. However, every once in a while they do something that makes you think maybe they should remember what it was like in 96, 97, 98, etc. You know when they were branding teams terribly, trying to engage families instead of soccer fans, and folding teams. I don't get the fascination with the flames after the home team scores (Yeah I am talking about Seattle). Feels forced.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2013/07 ... s-i-desire
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Baloney wrote:Interesting Guardian take on Atlanta

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... attendance

It's interesting to read the outside perspective. I think that there are more conventional explanations for what's been going on. The execution has just been outstanding on every front, from marketing and outreach to roster construction to how they've taken over the already strong youth development infrastructure. The stadium is generating a ton of excitement (and seeing it firsthand this weekend, it is a damn cathedral). It helped that the local economy and demographic trends played right into what they were trying to do, and it also helped that the Braves chose this moment in time to peace out to the suburbs, where they are out of sight/out of mind to the exact demo MLS is looking for.

I think Arthur Blank and his people are laying down the template for the conversion of football fans to soccer, which may well be a survival issue for people in the helmet football business. At the new stadium, there will be very little about the soccer gameday experience that will be different from football except that the 300 level will be curtained off for most games. And that United fans will get to eat Chik-fil-A, I guess. Rather than play to the base, they are marketing the team like it is an NFL or major college football team, and so far people are responding well to that.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So this is not a great look.

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/900070712022626305

I'll ask the obvious question: what's going to happen when the Yankees are in the World Series? NYCFC has a home game on 10/22 and then surely some home playoff games right after that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, pretty pathetic. Honestly might have been a better look for NYCFC to just let Houston have it as another home game.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The could pretend like it's a strategic move the same way the Sounders do when they have to play at their "B" 'stadium.'
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bigger question is why don't they have some kind of contingency in place for this. It had to have occurred to them that it's possible?

Also, why Hartford? Both Rutgers and Army are both off that weekend and either stadium would have to be a much better option than fucking Hartford (I'm guessing those were both explored and were vetoed by each school though.)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Army probably has too many rules for it to work, and being from New York, the club probably forgot that Rutgers exists.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dimensions an issue? No idea beyond "this destroys 2.5 seasons of jokes about RBNJ and #newjerseyisred". Hoping attendance is shit so they don't get any ideas about a permanent location.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Timmy Howard is not helping Colorado get better results. Not blaming him for this goal or any other, but that team is not winning.

Also DC United is the first team in MLS history to get back-to-back wins with 1-0 score lines and both goals were credited to Own Goal (The one against Colorado was ridiculous back pass, at least last night v. Atlanta was a redirection no a strong header from a DC player..that would have gone in had it not bounced off the defenders head and hand of a 2nd defender).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Saw that one last night. Sooooooo hot.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Timmy Howard is not helping Colorado get better results.

Pretty fair to question the judgement of dumping a load of money on a goalkeeper to the the face/star of your team. If your outfield sucks, he's going to suck, and there's nothing that he can do about it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Deloitte pro/rel report is here!

Link: http://files.constantcontact.com/5a361a ... 3590030000

I've read some of the report and all of the tl/dr on Reddit. It makes a lot of obvious statements, but there is one idea I found interesting, which is to give a small permanent interest in the league to founding clubs as a means to soften the blow of being relegated. Apparently this has been put in practice by England's rugby league. It seems like fair compensation to people who invested in a closed league, even though it kind of sucks that Bob Kraft would be the main beneficiary.

(And FYI, this report was commissioned by the people who recently made that crazy TV offer to MLS that was conditioned on pro/rel, so there was no mystery what the conclusions would be.)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Swamp has skewed so far left that this commie shit is allowed in a post?

Man, imagine how much cooler the 20th century of baseball may have been had we followed this convention. Just not the American way I suppose, whatever the fuck that is, but pro/reg is arguably several steps closer to the free market benchmark/utopian goal/whatever than our cartel system of sports (pure theoretical speculation off the top, on my part).

Good read, thanks man.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bronto, tell me about Erik Palmer-Brown.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jordan Morris done for the season (and USMNT quals).
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not a bad view of 7-0 last night:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jay Heaps out as Revs head coach. Looks like he is being replaced by former Wichita Wings, Denver Thunder, Las Vegas Dust Devil Tom Soehn (yeah he was DC United's coach from 07-09 and interim with the Whitecaps in 11-12).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Red Bulls v. Sporting KC for the US Open Cup on the Deuce tonight
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Zusi
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.