Jeeves Didn't Watch The Wire - Headed to Baltimore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Jeeves Didn't Watch The Wire - Headed to Baltimore

Post by The Sybian »

Considering a short family trip to Baltimore at the end of this week. What are some good places to take the kids? I stayed at the Inner Harbor for a wedding 15 years ago, and remember it being really nice. Probably going for 2 days.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am Considering a short family trip to Baltimore at the end of this week. What are some good places to take the kids? I stayed at the Inner Harbor for a wedding 15 years ago, and remember it being really nice. Probably going for 2 days.
How old are the kids now? Nat'l aquarium is the obvious first mention - but man is it pricey from my point of view. If it is a weekday, aim for later in the day to avoid the school buses and school trips. https://www.aqua.org/

If your kids are old enough, this place is great - http://www.thebmi.org/ (but you may enjoy it more). I think the American Visionary Arts museum can work for all ages and would posit that it is can't miss: http://www.avam.org/

The Maryland Science Center is supposed to be quite good (I've never been) but for elementary to upper elementary kids, worth it from what I hear:

https://www.mdsci.org/

The bonus is that the Nat'l Aquarium, Science Center, Visionary Art Museum, and Museum of Industry are all located around the inner harbor and walkable / boat shuttleable from a downtown hotel.

If you have any kids that are into trains, the B & O Railroad Museum is quite good - short drive to that from downtown hotel (like a few miles short drive):

http://www.borail.org/

The aforementioned harbor shuttles/water taxis will take you to places around the area including Ft. McHenry - https://baltimorewatertaxi.com/landing/fort-mchenry/ and https://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

Those same shuttles will take you over to Fells Point which has shopping and some really good restaurants.

If a movie is in order, there is a theater in Harbor East walkable from center city or a very short car ride - sells alcohol too: https://www.landmarktheatres.com/baltimore/harbor-east

Every day around noon (and probably in the evening but I notice the noon ones more from walking down at the Harbor over lunches) there are boats that cruise out from the inner harbor and around the watery area out to Key Bridge/near Chesapeake Bay I think. Here's a few:

http://cruisesonthebay.com/annapolis-an ... re-cruises

https://www.spiritcruises.com/baltimore

Depending on how cynical your kids are/their ages - I see kids and adults having more fun than I would guess on this dealie which leaves from Fells Point:

http://www.urbanpirates.com/baltaltimor ... rices.html

Will add more as I think of it. If the Orioles are in town when you are here, I think they are paying people to go...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We went for a night ~2 years ago and ate at Lobo in Fells Point. Very solid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, I'm the asshole that started reading this thread, getting excited for a meet-up, and realizing it was started in 2016.

How did I completely miss this thread when it came out??
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I enjoyed touring the USS Constitution on the Inner Harbor when I was there a handful of years ago.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am I enjoyed touring the USS Constitution on the Inner Harbor when I was there a handful of years ago.
Aye, dammit, forgot about those in my list above - Syb here is the link to that option:

http://www.historicships.org/index.html
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am So, I'm the asshole that started reading this thread, getting excited for a meet-up, and realizing it was started in 2016.

I don't know that you missed it as I don't think it came together.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Some families tend to find these fun - located right by National Aquarium:

https://baltimore.org/listings/attracti ... ores-inner
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am So, I'm the asshole that started reading this thread, getting excited for a meet-up, and realizing it was started in 2016.

What does the Baltimore crew think about a happy hour at the new Guinness facility? I've been a couple of times and especially with the weather turning (so outdoor space opens things up considerably), could certainly be a casual meet-up spot. (They have an IPA available, in case guys are worried about having to drink a stout or nothing at all. They actually have a bunch of varieties, most of which you can't find in the stores.)

Would be cool to jump up there after work (I'm in Laurel, about 15-20 minutes away.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

thanks, TB! Tat just saved me a lot of hours of flipping through tourist sights and sorting through garbage.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did meet bfj for lunch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

Did meet bfj for lunch.
You did well - Bfj is the best of the local crew.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

Did meet bfj for lunch.
You did well - Bfj is the best of the local crew.
I read this last part as "Fuck Kranepool."
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pmI read this last part as "Fuck Kranepool."
#grind
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If you’re staying downtown go to Miss Shirley’s for breakfast. They are right across from the Inner Harbor. Abbey Burger Bistro is delicious for lunch or dinner. There is one in Federal Hill or one in Fells Point. I’m pretty sure the water taxi takes you close to the one in Fells Point. That’s where The Giffs and I dined. If you like Italian, Little Italy has some great restaurants. Family friendly places like Amiccis have some great food. That’s where Sabo and I went to eat. Please don’t bother with any of the chain spots at the Inner Harbor, there’s much better food a 10 minute ride in any direction.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm If you’re staying downtown go to Miss Shirley’s for breakfast. They are right across from the Inner Harbor. Abbey Burger Bistro is delicious for lunch or dinner. There is one in Federal Hill or one in Fells Point. I’m pretty sure the water taxi takes you close to the one in Fells Point. That’s where The Giffs and I dined. If you like Italian, Little Italy has some great restaurants. Family friendly places like Amiccis have some great food. That’s where Sabo and I went to eat. Please don’t bother with any of the chain spots at the Inner Harbor, there’s much better food a 10 minute ride in any direction.
I couldn't remember the name of where we ate but that place was fantastic.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm If you’re staying downtown go to Miss Shirley’s for breakfast. They are right across from the Inner Harbor. Abbey Burger Bistro is delicious for lunch or dinner. There is one in Federal Hill or one in Fells Point. I’m pretty sure the water taxi takes you close to the one in Fells Point. That’s where The Giffs and I dined. If you like Italian, Little Italy has some great restaurants. Family friendly places like Amiccis have some great food. That’s where Sabo and I went to eat. Please don’t bother with any of the chain spots at the Inner Harbor, there’s much better food a 10 minute ride in any direction.
Plus owned by the family of a friend of mine from high school. For that you can excuse the fact that Guy F liked it and did a Triple D there.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If you’re in Fells Point, I can also recommend Koopers Tavern or Slainte for lunch. Good food and owned by a HS classmate of mine.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:49 am If you’re in Fells Point, I can also recommend Koopers Tavern or Slainte for lunch. Good food and owned by a HS classmate of mine.
If you are in town on a Saturday - Slainte also has a good brunch and every tv is on the EPL game or games.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm
Plus owned by the family of a friend of mine from high school. For that you can excuse the fact that Guy F liked it and did a Triple D there.

Fierri may be a top class douchebag, but his picks are often very much on point.

Another prime example in the B'more area is Chaps pit bbq. That shit is fucking ON POINT. (Don't care that it's in the parking lot of a strip club, across the street from a 24-hour Adult Video Store.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We drove past that!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am We drove past that!
Next time stop!

(They have a location in Aberdeen, so if you're on 95 and looking for an awesome lunch/dinner during a road trip... They also just opened up one in Frederick, but not sure how many Swampers deal with I-70/I-270.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 am

Fierri may be a top class douchebag, but his picks are often very much on point.

Another prime example in the B'more area is Chaps pit bbq. That shit is fucking ON POINT. (Don't care that it's in the parking lot of a strip club, across the street from a 24-hour Adult Video Store.
Guy Fieri is a good dude.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 am

Bourdain loved that place.

I may have spent a few shekels at Gentleman’s Gold Club.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really don't have a beef with Guy Fieri these days beyond his own restaurants really sucking. But those are easy enough to avoid.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Chaps Pit Beef stand is like 2 miles from my house here in Canton. 'Snot bad at all.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am

What does the Baltimore crew think about a happy hour at the new Guinness facility? I've been a couple of times and especially with the weather turning (so outdoor space opens things up considerably), could certainly be a casual meet-up spot. (They have an IPA available, in case guys are worried about having to drink a stout or nothing at all. They actually have a bunch of varieties, most of which you can't find in the stores.)

Would be cool to jump up there after work (I'm in Laurel, about 15-20 minutes away.)
Didn’t mean to ignore. At the moment, after work is a rough time w Max these days, so it’s hard to say. I’m in, autism permitting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 am Baltimore's Computers Under Attack

This is insanity.
On an up note - no water bills. At some point, that will end.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heading back to Baltimore for a couple nights over the kids' spring break. Anything new since 2016? Breweries? Best neighborhood to stay if the plan is to park and walk the whole time? Things to do with kids that aren't the aquarium?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:07 am Heading back to Baltimore for a couple nights over the kids' spring break. Anything new since 2016? Breweries? Best neighborhood to stay if the plan is to park and walk the whole time? Things to do with kids that aren't the aquarium?
Is their spring break late enough that MLB has begun? Good tickets are available at the Yards...

Did you make it to the B & O Train Museum last time? Worth it, in my opinion - for any ages - http://www.borail.org/

How old are the kids now? Old enough to rent bikes? If so and the weather is good - the NCR Trail north of town is a great place for a ride with bike rental place that is open on weekends - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/mary ... -ncr-trail

The Visionary Arts Museum remains a top recommendation from me - for any ages - http://www.avam.org/

If you have never been to Annapolis - that is an easy day trip - about 25 minutes from downtown with a great area of shops around the harbor and some really fun and affordable boat excursions and a ton of history - all walkable once you park -

https://www.visitannapolis.org/discover ... KAQAvD_BwE

If you have never been to Hampden (the Roger Waters neighborhood) - it is good place to poke your noses for an hour or so - lots of vintage shops and fun stores to look through with kids (I recommend Junque) - and then go to Paper Moon Diner near there for...well, you have to see their decor.

https://baltimore.org/neighborhoods/hampden

http://papermoondiner24.com/

More as I think of it...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2nd for Paper Moon. That is over by Johns Hopkins and the Baltimore Arts Museum (which is pretty good and interesting mix of stuff).

The Walter Art Gallery has a decent collection of knight armor and kid programming.

Still a big fan of Union Craft for brewery (yes my buddy is a founder). They have a new setup and a bit more kid friendly than they used to be but no kids after 6PM. They have had some issues. Here is the big list of good Baltimore breweries (but many are not close). https://www.thrillist.com/drink/washing ... -breweries

May want to see if the live steamers are running at Leakin Park (http://calslivesteam.org/). Neat experience.

Duck Pin bowling is a good one too. Stoneleigh Duck Pin Bowling is in Towson but not hard to get to from the City.

May not be your thing but the local colleges likely have lacrosse and other sporting events. Similarly the Baltimore Blast may have a playoff game (indoor soccer).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey locals ... are there crab rolls in Baltimore the same as like lobster rolls in New England? Not crab cakes or sushi, just like crab meat and mayo/butter on a hot dog roll.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 am Hey locals ... are there crab rolls in Baltimore the same as like lobster rolls in New England? Not crab cakes or sushi, just like crab meat and mayo/butter on a hot dog roll.
Not exactly, but the closest might be a soft shell crab sandwich.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:16 pm
mister d wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 am Hey locals ... are there crab rolls in Baltimore the same as like lobster rolls in New England? Not crab cakes or sushi, just like crab meat and mayo/butter on a hot dog roll.
A lobster roll doesn’t look like a deep fried lobster hanging out of a sandwich. My wife loves these things. I’m not a fan.

Crab salad isn’t really a popular thing. I think we just bake it in patties and call them crab cakes.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 am
If you have never been to Hampden (the Roger Waters neighborhood) - it is good place to poke your noses for an hour or so - lots of vintage shops and fun stores to look through with kids (I recommend Junque) - and then go to Paper Moon Diner near there for...well, you have to see their decor.
He means John Waters.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That too. Yes. John waters .
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am

Didn’t mean to ignore. At the moment, after work is a rough time w Max these days, so it’s hard to say. I’m in, autism permitting.

Bringing the idea of a Guinness gathering up again. Right off of 95!!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:51 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:16 pm
A lobster roll doesn’t look like a deep fried lobster hanging out of a sandwich. My wife loves these things. I’m not a fan.

Crab salad isn’t really a popular thing. I think we just bake it in patties and call them crab cakes.
No I agree there really isn't a 1:1 match. Except maybe a good jumbo lump crab cake that has way more crab than 'cake' (breadcrumbs or crackers really).

I was really just looking for a crab that avoids the trappings of being buried in Old Bay.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's the weird part. Usually when you showcase something you do it in a minimalist way but I can't seem to find anything thats just crab.