Jeeves Didn't Watch The Wire - Headed to Baltimore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Jeeves Didn't Watch The Wire - Headed to Baltimore

Post by Giff »

Looks like I'll be in Baltimore at the beginning of May for a conference. What's the must dos or sees?

BFJ, earlier in June the bar was set really really really high by Jerloma, so giving you ample time to prepare.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Jeeves Didn't Watch The Wire - Headed to Baltimore

Post by EnochRoot »

Maxs on Broadway for your craft beer and sports consumption..Plus being on Broadway in Fells Point makes for ample people watching.

There's a great market of food, beer and wine vendors up in Mount Vernon (Mt Vernon Market Place), too.

Canton is where I live/hang, though I can be talked into visiting my old haunts in Fells Point...

I avoid Federal Hill like the plague, except when there's a band worth seeing at The 8 x 10..
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Camden Yards is pretty cool but maybe avoid the upper deck because I remember that being terrifyingly steep. Your best beer, by a margin unless something has changed in the last ~8 months is Double Duckpin by Union Craft.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jeeves didn't watch the wire, it was always burnin' since the worlds been turnin. Jeeves didn't watch the wire, no he didn't light it but he tried to fight it.

I've got nothing to add. Enjoy your trip.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Camden Yards is pretty cool but maybe avoid the upper deck because I remember that being terrifyingly steep. Your best beer, by a margin unless something has changed in the last ~8 months is Double Duckpin by Union Craft.
Yeah, hoping to time it to catch a game there and in DC.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote:Camden Yards is pretty cool but maybe avoid the upper deck because I remember that being terrifyingly steep. Your best beer, by a margin unless something has changed in the last ~8 months is Double Duckpin by Union Craft.
Best bet is to buy the cheapest tickets and then spend the afternoon/evening in SRO just inside Eutaw Street. You get to navigate the bar overlooking CF, peruse Eutaw, and of course, have a smoke on the ass other end of the stadium in the smoking section. Plus, a pre-game at Pickles, of course.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Skip DC if you're just going for a game unless you're a stadium collector.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you like a summer sour...there Old Pro is fantastic. If you decide to go to the Union Craft Tasting Room let me know. One of the founders is a high school friend. Full Tilt also makes some solid beers.

If you decide to hit a Nats game...give me a heads up
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you have a car...consider a trip to Annapolis and if you have a car and are stadium collecting...Abeerdeen Ironbirds is a fun minor league experience (also could go with the Frederick Keys or Bowie Baysoxs).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Renting a car definitely. Will probably end up there longer than the conference since I've never spent any time in that part of the country aside from an 8th grade trip to DC.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Philadelphia isn't that far away and better than DC.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How close to meet with you Jersey assholes?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I lived like 20 minutes walking from Syb for two years and we never synced up sooo ...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'll second wlu_lax's recommendation. Annapolis is very cool.

Almost all of my time in Baltimore is spent in the Inner Harbor because that's where our offices are located. I haven't had a chance to do much sightseeing down there, but I did enjoy touring the USS Constitution. There's also an old WWII-era submarine you can tour, but I haven't been to that specific one. I understand the aquarium is really awesome, but every time I've wanted to go there's been a massive line to get in.

I wholeheartedly recommend meeting up with BFJ and going to dinner in Little Italy.

Oh, and avoid Nattie Boh's, unless you like completely shit beer.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:Renting a car definitely. Will probably end up there longer than the conference since I've never spent any time in that part of the country aside from an 8th grade trip to DC.
You may not need a car. If you fly into BWI you can get downtown very easily. Water Taxi runs from Harbor to Fells Point and getting to DC from Baltimore is way easier on the MARC train than driving. If you decide to go to Philly, Amtrak is probably easier and more cost efficient.

If you hit Annapolis it is worth walking around the Academy and going to the museum on the campus (they have these kiosks that show great US Naval battles in history....could have watched those much longer).
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:Looks like I'll be in Baltimore at the beginning of May for a conference. What's the must dos or sees?

BFJ, earlier in June the bar was set really really really high by Jerloma, so giving you ample time to prepare.
Sounds like a challenge. Let me know the dates and maybe we can get the Baltimore contingent of the Swamp out for a ball game. Last time we did that, there was that El Derecho thing. I live out in the county, but I would love to meet up and grab dinner/beers/whatever. I haven't added a name to my "Swampers I've Met" list in a long time.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote:Maxs on Broadway for your craft beer and sports consumption..Plus being on Broadway in Fells Point makes for ample people watching.

There's a great market of food, beer and wine vendors up in Mount Vernon (Mt Vernon Market Place), too.

Canton is where I live/hang, though I can be talked into visiting my old haunts in Fells Point...

I avoid Federal Hill like the plague, except when there's a band worth seeing at The 8 x 10..
Abbey Burger Bistro in Fell's Point is delicious. Huge beer selection. Amazing burgers.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:Maxs on Broadway for your craft beer and sports consumption..Plus being on Broadway in Fells Point makes for ample people watching.

Abbey Burger Bistro in Fell's Point is delicious. Huge beer selection. Amazing burgers.
They're one of the new kids in town (Fells, anyway), right? Haven't been yet. I've heard good things though.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote:
Giff wrote:Looks like I'll be in Baltimore at the beginning of May for a conference. What's the must dos or sees?

Sounds like a challenge. Let me know the dates and maybe we can get the Baltimore contingent of the Swamp out for a ball game. Last time we did that, there was that El Derecho thing. I live out in the county, but I would love to meet up and grab dinner/beers/whatever. I haven't added a name to my "Swampers I've Met" list in a long time.
1st-3rd are the conference dates. Trying to decide whether to come the weekend before or stay until the next weekend.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:
bfj wrote:

1st-3rd are the conference dates. Trying to decide whether to come the weekend before or stay until the next weekend.
Do you know where the conference is? Are you downtown?

O's are in Boston during that time span, but the Nats are home vs. AZ. O's come home vs. CHW on that Friday. They are away the weekend before the conference.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'd be down regardless, unless my wife has me yanked out of town for Memorial Day weekend on some junket.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote:
Giff wrote:
bfj wrote:

Do you know where the conference is? Are you downtown?

O's are in Boston during that time span, but the Nats are home vs. AZ. O's come home vs. CHW on that Friday. They are away the weekend before the conference.
It's at Johns Hopkins.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Glad to meet up. Plus, it's Baltimore - we are currently at 310 homicides for 2016 - or 1 for every 2000 residents ,so I will feel duty bound to make sure giff is ok.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote:
bfj wrote:

They're one of the new kids in town (Fells, anyway), right? Haven't been yet. I've heard good things though.
Crab Tater Tots are good. Very very good.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I actually just started watching The Wire yesterday. I've never watched it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BFJ, et al.

I'm in Inner Harbor April 3 - 5 then in DC proper (edit: til) the Sunday after. First for a conference, then shit with the fam. Would love to grab a beer with one or all of ya gents.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote:BFJ, et al.

I'm in Inner Harbor April 3 - 5 then in DC proper the Sunday after. First for a conference, then shit with the fam. Would love to grab a beer with one or all of ya gents.
If you can make it work in DC I will be around
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:BFJ, et al.

I'm in Inner Harbor April 3 - 5 then in DC proper the Sunday after. First for a conference, then shit with the fam. Would love to grab a beer with one or all of ya gents.
If you can make it work in DC I will be around
Right on, need some time to sample the local refreshment.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:How close to meet with you Jersey assholes?
About 3.5 hours straight up I-95, get off at Exit 14, we will meet you there.
mister d wrote:I lived like 20 minutes walking from Syb for two years and we never synced up sooo ...
I walked past your house every week while my son was at swim lessons. We kept looking in your windows, but you weren't home.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:How close to meet with you Jersey assholes?
About 3.5 hours straight up I-95, get off at Exit 14, we will meet you there.
mister d wrote:I lived like 20 minutes walking from Syb for two years and we never synced up sooo ...
I walked past your house every week while my son was at swim lessons. We kept looking in your windows, but you weren't home.
His wife, on the other hand ...
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Arriving 5/1 and leaving late 5/5. Who wants to meet up?

bfj, I'm going to need some medicine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:Arriving 5/1 and leaving late 5/5. Who wants to meet up?

Prank call prank call!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

How late 5/5? Only day that week Orioles are in town is Friday the 5th - 7:00 game.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I guess I took a christmas break here or something and missed Creepy Syb.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:

How late 5/5? Only day that week Orioles are in town is Friday the 5th - 7:00 game.
Pretty late but not late enough. We have to be back for a birthday party Saturday morning. That's a bummer.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

80 hours or so!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Is it you and your wife?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you are looking for restaurant options near Hopkins (Homewood Campus). You are walkable to Hampden. Some good restaurants in an interesting part of town. Charmery has very good ice cream.

http://baltimore.org/article/best-places-eat-hampden

I mean any part of town that does this for the holiday season is alright
http://baltimore.org/photo-tour/miracle-34th-street
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote:Is it you and your wife?

Awwww yeah. Make your move, bfj!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote:
bfj wrote:Is it you and your wife?

Awwww yeah. Make your move, bfj!
What's the sexiest animal in the world? The brown chicken brown cow.

And yes. She's going for a conference at Johns Hopkins and I'm taking advantage of free hotel/food for a few days.

Appreciate it wlu_lax6!!