The Fluuuuuuu

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

The Fluuuuuuu

Post by mister d »

This could probably go in confessions or whining too. I had no idea how bad the flu really was. Like I spent almost four decades under the impression the flu was a slightly worse version of a cold. Holy f'ing S, man, is that not true. I was in bed for something like 46 of the first 48 hours it hit me, I ate a small bowl of cereal and a little soup. This is Day 7 and its the first time I've felt good enough to get up at a reasonable time and not lay back down, although the appetite still isn't back to normal. Am I the only one so stupid/lucky to have zero idea that "flu" was code for a near mono experience?

(And yes, this is completely self-inflicted. I've only ever gotten the shot when the kids have been in the parents must range or if it otherwise came right to me. Pure laziness and me not respecting the flu. Won't happen again.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The Fluuuuuuu

Post by Pruitt »

Get better.

Last time I had the flu was during my single days back in the 20th century. It was crushing, a week on my back. Luckily I worked with a couple of women with strong maternal instincts and they sent care packages of soup and ginger ale to my house.

Only good part is that I lost some weight.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:This could probably go in confessions or whining too. I had no idea how bad the flu really was. Like I spent almost four decades under the impression the flu was a slightly worse version of a cold. Holy f'ing S, man, is that not true. I was in bed for something like 46 of the first 48 hours it hit me, I ate a small bowl of cereal and a little soup. This is Day 7 and its the first time I've felt good enough to get up at a reasonable time and not lay back down, although the appetite still isn't back to normal. Am I the only one so stupid/lucky to have zero idea that "flu" was code for a near mono experience?

(And yes, this is completely self-inflicted. I've only ever gotten the shot when the kids have been in the parents must range or if it otherwise came right to me. Pure laziness and me not respecting the flu. Won't happen again.)
Supposed to be really bad this year. I've heard of several people getting it despite getting the vaccine. Not sure if it is the flu or something else, but I know a lot of people with stomach virus issues the past week or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TuOQkN7e0
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Supposed to be really bad this year. I've heard of several people getting it despite getting the vaccine. Not sure if it is the flu or something else, but I know a lot of people with stomach virus issues the past week or two.
Both the GF and I had it the week of Thanksgiving. It was brutal. And yes, we both had the vaccine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wife has acquired it, she did get the vaccine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not the fluuuuuuu, but kid #2 got hit with a stomach bug last night. I love sitting around trying to determine if every little gurgle in your gut is the precursor to vomit-time or your head messing with you or just gas. Fun.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just have a cold now. Its not as bad as the flu.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:I just have a cold now. Its not as bad as the flu.

I've been reading The Stand. So "it's just a cold" scares the hell out of me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Whew, I thought the flu died
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Office mate has it. I just sprayed half a can of Lysol in my office and huffed the remainder, so I think I'll be OK.

He hasn't been at work since Tuesday, and just got feverish last night, so...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

4,000 people a week dying this flu season. Stay healthy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We're all vaxxed up and I'm a diligent if not obsessive handwasher, so fingers crossed. Though I can't remember if my coworker got the shot. I'll wait until he's recovered and I'm sure of any collateral damage here at work before I give him shit about that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My wife has it - confirmed via test yesterday. On an up note, the doctor said it isn't the strain that is killing people this year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am We're all vaxxed up and I'm a diligent if not obsessive handwasher, so fingers crossed. Though I can't remember if my coworker got the shot. I'll wait until he's recovered and I'm sure of any collateral damage here at work before I give him shit about that.
Vaccine don't mean shit this year. My wife had the flu, and I came down with the same symptoms about a week later. I didn't bother going to the doctor, but almost 4 weeks later, I'm still not feeling right. I've been trending in the right direction, so there doesn't seem to be much point in going to a doctor. Probably didn't help that I caught that stomach bug going around in the middle of it. I can't recall a season where so many people are getting sick. My daughter is the only kid on her team not to miss a tournament due to illness in the past month, and both kids said half their school has been sick.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm Vaccine don't mean shit this year.
Totally not true.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Youngest daughter just spent last week quarantined in the basement or her bedroom. The rest of us escaped unharmed. She had the B strand.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I suppose this is where I admit (with trepidation given how bad a year it's been) that I've never gotten a flu shot and don't think I've ever gotten the flu.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm I suppose this is where I admit (with trepidation given how bad a year it's been) that I've never gotten a flu shot and don't think I've ever gotten the flu.
Ditto.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

even if you get influenza despite getting vaccinated, i think it may mitigate the illness. I have no proof and my belief may be unfounded, but getting vaccinated is important, especially for elderly (me) or those at risk
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm Vaccine don't mean shit this year.
Totally not true.
What I meant is you can get the flu even if you got vaccinated, especially this year. Teh vaccine reduces your chances of getting the flu, and my understanding is the same as Avram, that if you do get the flu, the symptoms aren't as severe as they would have been without the vaccine. I don't know if the strain mutated, making the vaccine less effective, or if the particular strain powers through, or what.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:42 pm
brian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm I suppose this is where I admit (with trepidation given how bad a year it's been) that I've never gotten a flu shot and don't think I've ever gotten the flu.
Ditto.
+2
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Daughter had it and was out of school for a solid week and a half.

The issue with this one is that apparently a lot of folks coming out of it were getting pneumonia.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm Daughter had it and was out of school for a solid week and a half.

The issue with this one is that apparently a lot of folks coming out of it were getting pneumonia.
I read that the flu doesn't kill you, it weakens your immune system so you come down with something else that kills you.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm
duff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Ditto.
+2
Me four! I think I had the flu in 1st grade. Only sick days in my school career. I might have gotten it again about 10-15 years ago. That's it for me. I just don't sick too much. My wife and kids do, but I don't (other than a runny nose and sore throat here and there).
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Do you ever come within talking distance of your wife and kids because you may have carried the virus and passed it on to them.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I get all the reasons why you're supposed to get vaccinated and then every year I almost do it and then ultimately don't. Though my situation is a lot different than a lot of people. I don't have kids, I don't work in an office and don't have any pre-existing conditions that the flu could exacerbate. So I'm rolling the dice a little, but I'm doing it with my own body and no one else's for the most part.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:35 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm Daughter had it and was out of school for a solid week and a half.

I read that the flu doesn't kill you, it weakens your immune system so you come down with something else that kills you.
40 years ago I took care of a 50 year old man who got influenza A, he contracted a Staph Pneumonia and died in 48 hours. He had been in good health.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm I get all the reasons why you're supposed to get vaccinated and then every year I almost do it and then ultimately don't. Though my situation is a lot different than a lot of people. I don't have kids, I don't work in an office and don't have any pre-existing conditions that the flu could exacerbate. So I'm rolling the dice a little, but I'm doing it with my own body and no one else's for the most part.
This is my thing. Thought I suppose Meg works in an office and transitive property of you know how it goes.

I'll be honest, I've gotten the flu shot in years past and it makes me feel like dogshit for 2-3 days. It's a selfish choice. I try to recycle more.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I hear they’re calling it Captain Trips on the west coast.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm I hear they’re calling it Captain Trips on the west coast.
"Like"
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Avram wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:06 pm even if you get influenza despite getting vaccinated, i think it may mitigate the illness. I have no proof and my belief may be unfounded, but getting vaccinated is important, especially for elderly (me) or those at risk
I've read this many times. Doctors and nurses are quoted regularly saying you should get the flu shot because you are much better off with it than without it. If you get the flu, you'll recover faster for having received the shot.

Personally I get a flu shot every year and so does my wife and daughter. Your mileage will vary, but I can't even remember the last time any of us got the flu. And, I can't understand the logic of you people who don't get the flu shot. Especially if your employer provides it gratis.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

My stepson has a weakened immune system, due to his other illness and medications. Because of that, I've religiously gotten the shot since that shit started. Both the wife and I got the b strain right before Christmas. I'd gone to work for two days not knowing I had the flu, and only felt crappy for about 12 hours. Point being, the shot really seemed to mitigate our illness even thought we still caught it. It's been really bad in our area, with multiple deaths. They even closed schools for a spell. Hospital had beds in hallways because they ran out of room.

I understand not getting a shot. Didn't myself for a long time, and probably wouldn't of the kid was out of the house. That said, I'm also a believer in it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 pm
I understand not getting a shot. Didn't myself for a long time, and probably wouldn't of the kid was out of the house. That said, I'm also a believer in it.
This is me. Never got it until I had kids. They were required to get flu shots to go to day care, and my wife pushed it. My father used to chastise me for not doing it, as he was severely ill with the flu once.

I thought I was starting to feel better. Just shot hoops with my son for 20 minutes, and I feel like I'm dying. I am so desperate to get back to the gym, but I can't do it. How long does this shit last? My wife had more severe symptoms, but seemed to kick it faster.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This is close enough.

So there is a measles outbreak in the greater NYC area. Someone was infected, came back to the US on a flight from Israel, and now at least 17 people have tested positive. Much of it is centered in a local Orthodox Jewish community. After watching a report on the news this morning, my wife commented that they're keeping an eye on it at work (local heath department) because they have a sizable Orthodox population in the towns they cover, and that the rate of vaccination there is relatively low.

My 10 year old who had been brushing her teeth through this whole exchange stopped and shouted "THANKS JEWS!!!".
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 am This is close enough.

So there is a measles outbreak in the greater NYC area. Someone was infected, came back to the US on a flight from Israel, and now at least 17 people have tested positive. Much of it is centered in a local Orthodox Jewish community. After watching a report on the news this morning, my wife commented that they're keeping an eye on it at work (local heath department) because they have a sizable Orthodox population in the towns they cover, and that the rate of vaccination there is relatively low.

My 10 year old who had been brushing her teeth through this whole exchange stopped and shouted "THANKS JEWS!!!".
That's an age where you really have to question if she's been reading the swamp in secret to make that joke.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 am
rass wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 am This is close enough.

That's an age where you really have to question if she's been reading the swamp in secret to make that joke.
Or repeating something her father constantly says...

[removes Rass' family from my party invite list]
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Chicken Pox Outbreak In North Carolina

Guess where in that state the outbreak occurred...
[+] spoiler
Hipster Asheville - at a Waldorf School
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Get in line now for Calamine All Mine DIPA

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am Get in line now for Calamine All Mine DIPA
That is awesome!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am
Ryan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am Get in line now for Calamine All Mine DIPA
That is awesome!
Seriously.
-Pruitt