Education

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Education

Post by Shirley »

I figured there would be enough stories about our kids' schools (or our own) for its own thread.

I got an email today from my sons' school's (temporary) head of school.

Subject: A Day WIthout A Woman

First paragraph:
I know that many of you are in discernment about ways to express support and solidarity with women in our community and in the world on March 8. And so many of you have communicated a desire to have that expression manifested in a way that reflects a deep valuing of all that women contribute to the CFS community and to the world. The conversations I have had with staff, students, and families over the last several days have heartened me as a woman and have given me, along with others on the staff, the opportunity wrestle with how we might approach March 8 on our campus.
It goes on like that. Eventually I realized that the point was to say that the school would be open, there'd be enough staff there, and it is OK if students or parents want to skip out. At no point did the email ever explain what the hell the day was, other than the subject line. Instead, it just kept talking about the special significance of March 8. I had to Google it to find out what the hell she was talking about.

I was in discernment over the whole thing.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Education

Post by sancarlos »

I can't discern why she would use that word, there.
Last edited by sancarlos on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:I figured there would be enough stories about our kids' schools (or our own) for its own thread.

I got an email today from my sons' school's (temporary) head of school.

Subject: A Day WIthout A Woman

First paragraph:
I know that many of you are in discernment about ways to express support and solidarity with women in our community and in the world on March 8. And so many of you have communicated a desire to have that expression manifested in a way that reflects a deep valuing of all that women contribute to the CFS community and to the world. The conversations I have had with staff, students, and families over the last several days have heartened me as a woman and have given me, along with others on the staff, the opportunity wrestle with how we might approach March 8 on our campus.
It goes on like that. Eventually I realized that the point was to say that the school would be open, there'd be enough staff there, and it is OK if students or parents want to skip out. At no point did the email ever explain what the hell the day was, other than the subject line. Instead, it just kept talking about the special significance of March 8. I had to Google it to find out what the hell she was talking about.

I was in discernment over the whole thing.
How old is your son?

I think that if this is being done at a high school, than that's cool. But younger than that, I dunno...

(Not being done at my daughter's high school)

ETA - just noticed the word "discernment." That is stunning. Was he unsure of what the word meant - in which case, especially as an educator, you shouldn't use it - or did his auto-correct do it and he was too lazy to check?

Either way, NOT very impressive. I would dock marks if one of my students did that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The head of school (elementary through high school) is a she. Her creative use of "discernment" was the funniest part, but don't sleep on the second sentence. Read that word salad! Thank god this woman is only running things for one year.

Again, at no point does the email ever explain that March 8 is "A Day Without A Woman," or explain what that even means. It's like I joined in the middle of a conversation.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A Day Without A Woman? You probably thought you ventured over to the Swamp by accident.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:A Day Without A Woman? You probably thought you ventured over to the Swamp by accident.
We should change the description for the Swamp that day.

"Everyday Is A Day Without Women In The Swamp"

(No offense, Moreta.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Does that mean I can tell my wife to stay out of the house all day on the 8th (has to take the kid with her)? If so, they need this day without women to be on a Saturday.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Have you not seen Deadpool? I question your discernment. I know about International Women's Day because of that movie.

If only it coincided with March 14!

I love the pretentiousness of "a day without a woman." All the jokes and Bill Burr rants immediately flood in.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Based on title, I thought this thread was about Betsy DeVos getting a new job.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Main story on ESPN homepage right now: How did the Lakers get here? The inside story of the Buss drama with unflattering picture of Jeanie Buss, written by Ramona Shelburne.

Why this isn't on ESPNW, I have no idea. Happy International Women's Day, everyone!

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone here have any experience with or knowledge about inclusion classrooms? Found out that's what Q's 1st grade classroom is. No issues with the concept (and, based on two kids who aren't in there, its not being used as a behavioral room), just want to know if there's anything parents should expect or be aware of.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Depends on the severity of the inclusion children. My wife always has two or three kids identified with an IEP and one or two that are not identified, also with an IEP. She has only had a couple kids in her close to 20 years in the classroom that were removed from the classroom and put into a more specialized setting. Those were cases were because of self violent behavior and uncontrollable outbursts. And the parents fought hard to not have them moved, but she along with previous teachers had kept very detailed notes of behavior. Plus the recommendation of the school psychologist helped.

There really shouldn't be any issue for Q.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I believe our oldest was in an inclusion classroom in second grade. Our main concern was that the class as a whole would fall behind in the curriculum (as compared to the other second grade classes) but it didn't end up being an issue.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Anyone here have any experience with or knowledge about inclusion classrooms? Found out that's what Q's 1st grade classroom is. No issues with the concept (and, based on two kids who aren't in there, its not being used as a behavioral room), just want to know if there's anything parents should expect or be aware of.

As the parent of a child who is included, the benefits to the child with special needs are fantastic. Social skills, language, behavior, etc. all improved when my son was included with neuro-typical peers in his school. He stepped up to interact and make friends and those friends reached out to him when he struggled. It is only the parents who have the issue with inclusion, the kids don't care at all.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So far (short window) so good with the parents too here. Don't think anyone in the class really knows or cares.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

From an email I just got from our our new head of school:
As I near completion of my first year at CFS, I want to share highlights and discernments from this year, as well as thoughts and ideas about next year with the school community.
Note, this is a different woman than the one who butchered "discernment" last year. Am I missing something?

dis·cern·ment
dəˈsərnmənt
noun
noun: discernment
1. the ability to judge well.
"an astonishing lack of discernment"
2. (in Christian contexts) perception in the absence of judgment with a view to obtaining spiritual direction and understanding.
"without providing for a time of healing and discernment, there will be no hope of living through this present moment without a shattering of our common life"
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So it means this one read last year's recap and copied some pieces?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

"Hey, I learned a new word!"
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What the fuck?

I missed this thread the first go around.

That this is two separate makes it a stunner. You can't will the definition of a word into being what you want.

I am pleased to befuddle the findings of our annual review of best practices.

Hey, actually, I might get behind this whole discernment thing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I feel some discernment over our decision to pay money to have my son educated at this school. Luckily he only has one year left. We discerned our younger soon to a new high school this year.
Totally Kafkaesque