Science!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

ZMan
Brandt

Re: Science!

Post by ZMan »

I missed the live stream, and haven't had a a chance to watch, but I think it's important for people like Nye to openly and publicly debate people like Ham. In fact, I'd love to see one of these "debates" pulled off monthly or quarterly. Let's open it up to scientists of all disciplines vs. fundies of all denominations.

Why? Well, we're all relatively certain that the debate isn't going to change the minds of anyone firmly in either camp. I'm not naive enough to think some bible-thumping Kansan housewife will have her epiphany and realize Jeebus was a mere mortal because Bill Nye says so. But I am ever hopeful that some kids of fundies, or folks on the fence will hear the arguments, and perhaps they will be swayed. Longshot? Probably. But well worth it despite the notion that this gives the bible-thumpers credibility. Giving them a platform doesn't give them credibility.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

22 messages from creationists to people who believe in* evolution.

*Cringe

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jerloma wrote:Image
I can answer this.

"Because you are too stupid to comprehend what evolution is."
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The sunset one kills me. She is as educated in science as a friggen caveman. The sun magically moves across the sky guided by the hand of G-d. What a stupid twat. I just want to punch that stupid grin off of her face. My 7 year old understands how the sun sets and why there is less light in the winter. Are people in other countries this stupid? This is a prime example of how religion can cause damage.

ETA: If I had photoshop skills, I'd put O'Reilly's head on one of the pics, and put his tides go in, tides go out. You can't explain that quote on a pad. Just because you don't know the explanation for something doesn't mean there isn't a rational explanation. And even if science can't answer a question today doesn't mean we can't find the answer in the future. Fuck, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but ignorance to this level, coupled with the smugness drives me apeshit. And idiots with this mentality are the ones who home school because they are afraid of their children being exposed to logic and reason because it may allow for them to realize the fallacies of their fairy tale.
Last edited by The Sybian on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

"How do you explain how your car starts in the morning if there is no God?"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have a feeling that monkey guy is just trolling.
And even if science can't answer a question today doesn't mean we can't find the answer in the future.
One of the audience submitted questions the other night was "If our brain is just matter, how do you explain consciousness"? You know what Ham's answer was of course but Nye's response was my favorite of the night. With complete confidence he just says "We don't know yet." Now of course the fundies would see that answer as a win but having the confidence to admit that you don't know something is really the foundation of all human progress.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:"How do you explain how your car starts in the morning if there is no God?"

Instead of going to a mechanic next time my car won't start, I'm calling in an exorcist. Clearly it is a demon causing the issue.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

“There ain’t no way that’s possible … To say that it all came about in 6,000 years is just nonsense and I think it’s time we come off of that stuff and say this isn’t possible.”
What did he claim he was leg-pressing? 1000 lbs?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

P.D.X. wrote:What did he claim he was leg-pressing? 1000 lbs?
You need a metaphysical deity to explain Pat's leg press.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:The sunset one kills me. She is as educated in science as a friggen caveman. The sun magically moves across the sky guided by the hand of G-d. What a stupid twat. I just want to punch that stupid grin off of her face. My 7 year old understands how the sun sets and why there is less light in the winter. Are people in other countries this stupid? This is a prime example of how religion can cause damage.

ETA: If I had photoshop skills, I'd put O'Reilly's head on one of the pics, and put his tides go in, tides go out. You can't explain that quote on a pad. Just because you don't know the explanation for something doesn't mean there isn't a rational explanation. And even if science can't answer a question today doesn't mean we can't find the answer in the future. Fuck, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but ignorance to this level, coupled with the smugness drives me apeshit. And idiots with this mentality are the ones who home school because they are afraid of their children being exposed to logic and reason because it may allow for them to realize the fallacies of their fairy tale.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Out of those 22 pictures/questions, this was the only half-intelligent one:

I suspect she doesn't really understand what she's asking and is only parroting a question someone else asked, but still.

Regardless of the answer, it's funny how detailed and fine the anti-science questions are getting now. As someone said, God is always found in the unknown, so he keeps getting smaller and smaller.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If we didn't evolve from apes, how do you explain that woman?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The answers! 22 Responses To Buzzfeed's 22 Messages From Creationists On Evolution And The Origin Of Life

And if you read “What mechanism has science discovered that evidences an increase of genetic information seen in any genetic mutation or evolutionary process?” carefully, you'll see that the question is hollow, meaningless. It looks like a question but it's at best asked by someone with a less than vague understanding of that which she attempts to speak. In short, there is a question in there but we have to do her work for her to get to it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:The answers! 22 Responses To Buzzfeed's 22 Messages From Creationists On Evolution And The Origin Of Life

And if you read “What mechanism has science discovered that evidences an increase of genetic information seen in any genetic mutation or evolutionary process?” carefully, you'll see that the question is hollow, meaningless. It looks like a question but it's at best asked by someone with a less than vague understanding of that which she attempts to speak. In short, there is a question in there but we have to do her work for her to get to it.
Yeah, I think I know what she meant. Or at least what the original asker meant. I'm sure she's very unsure about what she's really trying to ask. "Extra" credit for using "evidences" as a verb in an effort to sound smarter.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Oh - and I LOVE how these morons always smugly ask about "the second law of thermodynamics" as if they have ANY idea what they are talking about. They just know it sounds smart - which of course is perfectly ironic for a person trying to prove that science is wrong.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:Oh - and I LOVE how these morons always smugly ask about "the second law of thermodynamics" as if they have ANY idea what they are talking about. They just know it sounds smart - which of course is perfectly ironic for a person trying to prove that science is wrong.
Nye got asked that one at the "debate." He had to explain as if he were talking to 2nd graders. "Imagine that you have a cake..."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Shirley wrote:Oh - and I LOVE how these morons always smugly ask about "the second law of thermodynamics" as if they have ANY idea what they are talking about. They just know it sounds smart - which of course is perfectly ironic for a person trying to prove that science is wrong.
The direct simplicity of the "sunsets" question is stellar (hah!).

5. “How do you explain a sunset if their [sic] is no God?”

The Earth rotates on its axis, making it so the sun appears to move through the sky. Once every 24 hours, the center of the solar disc will appear to move below the western horizon. That is a sunset.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:The answers! 22 Responses To Buzzfeed's 22 Messages From Creationists On Evolution And The Origin Of Life

Not really, from my reading of the question. Simply, the mechanism of increased genetic information is, 'arithmetic'. Specifically, addition.

I suspect, Scottie, you forgot to think like a moron. Something I am well-practiced.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Bingo.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:Bingo.

That guy looks a lot like my Brother in Law. Really thought it was him for a second.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:Bingo.

SEGUE!!! 2...3...4...I only read one book but it's a good book don't ya know!!!

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Facebook page devoted to questions for Creationists. Some good ones here.

Never heard this one: Animals will look like whatever their parents looked at while mating? If that were true, I'd look like my Uncle's couch.

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

…and I'd look like the back seat of a Ford

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:…and I'd look like the back seat of a Ford
Didn't think the Model T had a backseat.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Asshole. (It was a Model A)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:Asshole. (It was a Model A)
Well...they come in any color as long as it's black, so I guess you kinda do....
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

"Now that Bill isn't here, let's discuss how wrong he was when he intellectually kicked my ass all over the stage."

Funny thing, I was watching a Bourdain No Reservations episode yesterday in which he visits the Citadel of Erbil, a town which alone is older than the Earth and the universe itself (in Ham years).
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:Facebook page devoted to questions for Creationists. Some good ones here.

Never heard this one: Animals will look like whatever their parents looked at while mating? If that were true, I'd look like my Uncle's couch.

Just saw this... there's a picture of cows fucking in (what I presume is) a children's religious book?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Took me a few clicks, Bronto, but I think I found it!

http://www.awkwardmomentsbible.com/answersingenetics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tracked back through this thread and saw neither of these. Not sure if there were any other letters sent in between those dates, however.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:Image
Creation Museum gets enough donations to build ark park after evolution debate with Bill Nye

In case anyone had any doubt as to the reason for that "debate".

"If he builds that ark, it's my strong opinion, it's bad for the commonwealth of Kentucky and bad for scientists based in Kentucky and bad for the US," Nye said. "And I'm not joking, bad for the world."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That seems like hyperbole. Any parents taking their kids to that park already had every intention of brainwashing them anyway.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

At first glance it may seem hyperbolic, sure. I don't have the full quote, just what Sun cited. I'd imagine Nye is somewhat pissed off and/or disgusted, if only at himself, for participating in what turned out to be merely a fundraiser for an absurdity. Thing is, he's right. Building gigantic arks based on destructive fairy tales and passing it off as (what?) a replica of Spacemonster Tony's fucked up plans doesn't just make America look idiotic, it casts a shadow over the frail intelligence of the entire world.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:At first glance it may seem hyperbolic, sure. I don't have the full quote, just what Sun cited. I'd imagine Nye is somewhat pissed off and/or disgusted, if only at himself, for participating in what turned out to be merely a fundraiser for an absurdity. Thing is, he's right. Building gigantic arks based on destructive fairy tales and passing it off as (what?) a replica of Spacemonster Tony's fucked up plans doesn't just make America look idiotic, it casts a shadow over the frail intelligence of the entire world.

I refuse to believe that Nye is too stupid to realize that Answers in Genesis wouldn't use the event as a fundraiser. The whole thing was pointless for Nye, except for getting more exposure to himself and probably a handsome payday.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:I refuse to believe that Nye is too stupid to realize that Answers in Genesis wouldn't use the event as a fundraiser. The whole thing was pointless for Nye, except for getting more exposure to himself and probably a handsome payday.
He doesn't really need the exposure. Unlike Ham. Nye seems like one of those "don't say anything about someone unless you have something nice to say" sort of guys. That he is expressing his disgust with the Sneezeus Begat Velociraptors Society means they really got under his skin. That whole debatedebacle surely reinforced his dedication to a life of science and pleasantly (for us) unleashed his contempt for deliberate idiocy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sneezeus Begat Velociraptors Society
That put you in serious consideration for my 3rd round SwampCrash draft pick, despite your poor showing in the combine.