Premier League 2017/2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Premier League 2017/2018

Post by A_B »

arsene’s problem? Being same managerial generation as SAF. Sorry but true. Also I’m an asshole.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:45 pm arsene’s problem? Being same managerial generation as SAF. Sorry but true. Also I’m an asshole.
Ferguson was incomparable. Like Belichick.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Mourinho out!

I said it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 pm Mourinho out!

I said it.
I’m with you.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Square Rob wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 am

I said it.
I’m with you.
Part of Mourinho's genius lies in finding just the right place to land in order to maximize the appearance of "genius."

True, he has pushed championship teams to greater heights, but it could be argued that he hasn't built anything from scratch. Until taking over Man U, he has never accepted a job with a team that finished lower than 4th (and that was Chelsea the first time).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I said it.
I’m with you.

I rarely carved time out to watch man u this year. If I was free and they were on I would watch, but it generally is not enjoyable.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm It is insane - no other sport comes close in terms of turnover.

I've mentioned on a number of times the group of managers who will probably manage every weak Premier League team (Pullis, Bruce, Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes, Hodgson, Warnock, Lambert)... so when a team gets a good or great manager (Ferguson, Wenger, Pocchetino) you can see why they want to hold on to him.

Chelsea though, that team makes no sense. Can the team really be laundering that much money that it doesn't care about paying three or more expensive managers at the same time?
You summed it up. Roman Abramovich (Chelsea's Billionaire Russian crime lord/oligarch) is much more involved in making these decisions than at most clubs, and especially compared to American sports. In the US and at many Euro soccer clubs, there are GMs or a board that make decisions. Roman is a guy who was buddies with Putin, and handed a formerly government-owned oil empire Putin stole from the Russian people. He doesn't give a fuck about money (he owns the world's most expensive yacht!), so he is happy to grossly overspend on every player he wants. If he doesn't like a manager, they are gone. Chelsea doesn't run on sports or business based decisions, it's all on the whim of a new money playboy thug who demands results, but doesn't put in the work to make informed decisions for the club.
Maybe that WAS true, but in my four years of watching, Chelsea has been outbid nearly every time they went for a big name on the transfer market. They don't spend like they did. The biggest signing in the last three offseasons? Probably Alvaro Morata, who I'm guessing half of you had never heard of. (Kante was the best signing, but he was surprisingly cheap.) Chelsea probably has two would-start-on-any-team-in-the-world players - Hazard and Kante. Maybe four if you include Courtois and Azpiliqueta. It's a very good squad, but not one that should obviously dominate the Premier League.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am

I said it.
I’m with you.

I rarely carved time out to watch man u this year. If I was free and they were on I would watch, but it generally is not enjoyable.
Somewhat similar to my Lightning, (but much worse) Man U became horribly dreadful to watch around Thanksgiving or so. Jose hasn't made one player better, and I'd argue he's made many of them worse. His "mind games" don't work, and his tactics are negative. The board seem to be afraid of upsetting him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The new Spurs stadium looks awesome.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:58 pm The new Spurs stadium looks awesome.
Does it ever. "The Wall" is fantastic looking.

Hoping to get out there for a game next season.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:58 pm The new Spurs stadium looks awesome.
Does it ever. "The Wall" is fantastic looking.

Hoping to get out there for a game next season.
White men loving a wall. Figures.