Wither Colin Kaepernick

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Wither Colin Kaepernick

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:But I guess since this nothing is held sacred by people too blinded by money to give a shit, it's the perfect vehicle to expose these assholes in the first place.

The side-grossest part is that so many people who are mostly neutral see the owners stance of preserving their revenue to be a logically equal or greater concern relative to the players' rights or the social issues they're trying to address.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Can I be both completely sympathetic to McNair's choice of words as a figure-of-speech slip-up and suspicious that he secretly loved that he stumbled into it?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote:Can I be both completely sympathetic to McNair's choice of words as a figure-of-speech slip-up and suspicious that he secretly loved that he stumbled into it?

The judges will allow it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
One owner had complained that NBA commissioner Adam Silver got away with ordering players to stand because, unlike Goodell, he has a good relationship with the union.

Not saying Silver is a saint, but hey, it's almost like running your league in a way that doesn't make the players hate your fucking guts gives you more soft power.

and I think the players believe that he will work with them and give them another forum for social issues.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:Can I be both completely sympathetic to McNair's choice of words as a figure-of-speech slip-up and suspicious that he secretly loved that he stumbled into it?

I don't think so? People have run Google analytics and it seems to confirm this isn't some common secondary phrasing and he just happened to pick the one that looks bad. In the aftermath, you can see "asylums are like prisons" or whatever, but to be the genesis of the issue and the one who flipped the wording is a whole different story. (And I don't think there was intent, which might be worse.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:
One owner had complained that NBA commissioner Adam Silver got away with ordering players to stand because, unlike Goodell, he has a good relationship with the union.

Not saying Silver is a saint, but hey, it's almost like running your league in a way that doesn't make the players hate your fucking guts gives you more soft power.

and I think the players believe that he will work with them and give them another forum for social issues.

IT was also an on the books rule for the NBA already.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:

I don't think so? People have run Google analytics and it seems to confirm this isn't some common secondary phrasing and he just happened to pick the one that looks bad. In the aftermath, you can see "asylums are like prisons" or whatever, but to be the genesis of the issue and the one who flipped the wording is a whole different story. (And I don't think there was intent, which might be worse.)

Give the old white man the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was being innately sympathetic to people with mental health issues by not referring to them as prisoners. It's like robbing the bodega to pay Paul.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've already used "no use crying over spilled 40s" and "that's the way the fried chicken crumbles" in a different convo, btw. Sometimes you just misspeak and put a different word inside a common phrase and all these SJWs lose their minds. Participation trophies!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status ... 0394910725

DeAndre Hopkins missed practice today for a "personal day," and there are rumors he was actually protesting McNair.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Houston’s pitch to free agents can be — sure the owner is a racist but there’s no state income tax!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

(You know what, my point was probably somewhat valid, but since I can't make out whatever the fuck the army thing is I am gonna redact.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

What's Scully saying here.. That he won't watch another NFL game because of players protesting, or because the league unfurls a ridiculously large flag every.fucking.chance.it.can?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

30 second clip on Twitter!

And it features one of the most beloved Americans saying he won't watch another NFL game!

Surely it contains all pertinent context!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think we've learned in the past year that, if anything, more context will just end up making things worse. Everything is bad and everyone is bad.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

There's an air of McCarthy to all of this. Or maybe evangelical bible beating.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://twitter.com/timbaffoe/status/927189405600763906

Here's what Robinson wrote in his autobiography, about the anthem playing at his first World Series game:

There I was, the black grandson of a slave, the son of a black sharecropper, part of a historic occasion, a symbolic hero to my people. The air was sparkling. The sunlight was warm. The band struck up the national anthem. The flag billowed in the wind. It should have been a glorious moment for me as the stirring words of the national anthem poured from the stands. Perhaps, it was, but then again, perhaps, the anthem could be called the theme song for a drama called The Noble Experiment. Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first world series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey’s drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:I think we've learned in the past year that, if anything, more context will just end up making things worse. Everything is bad and everyone is bad.

Because "context" is subjective and is only used to deepen people's predispositions.

And I know that he's revered by a lot of people, but after all, Vin Scully is a 90 year old white guy. His take on this situation is as relevant as my dog's.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He is/was revered by me but I’ve just given up on thinking people are good.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:He is/was revered by me but I’ve just given up on thinking people are good.

Some people are good. My wife is great. My neighbour the Rabbi is a decent guy with a nice family. Actually, my brother and my friend Chris are super guys.

But something weird happens when a flag waves in front of people's eyes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal were talking about how with each shitty QB signing, Kaepernick's eventual settlement in his collusion lawsuit is getting bigger and bigger.

And just looked up Josh Johnson's stats. Hasn't been on a roster in 4 years. In 2012 he was on the BROWNS(!) roster for 1 game. The next year, he was on the Bengals roster for one game.

0-5 as a starter in Tampa between 2009-2011. 5 TDs, 10 INTS, 17 sacks in 177 dropbacks.

You have got to be kidding me here. This signing alone should get Kaepernick a couple hundred thousand dollars when that suit hits court.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

FWIW, from what I understand, had the Browns not fucked up the McCarron trade, the bengals were going to sign Kaep.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sounds like something that the Bengals/NFL want people to think more than a real possibility.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that’ll be obvious once Dalton(?) gets hurt this week and Doug Peterson has to quit coaching the eagles to sign as their backup.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gunpowder wrote:Sounds like something that the Bengals/NFL want people to think more than a real possibility.

So...mike brown is a lot of things, but toady for the shield isn’t one of them. Frankly, given the reactionary fan base kaep ending up in cincy is a terrible landing spot for him. That said, Brown was a huge advocate for them drafting kaep the year he came out but was over-ruled by Lewis and Gruden and they took dalton.

All of that is to say, it isn’t completely implausible.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

after the loss to the colts ive kinda switched positions. when watson went down i wanted them to sign kaep, but at 3-5 the season is lost, he wont be our starter when watson is back next year, and since we have zero shot at being a playoff team all he csn do is make the texans a shitstorm of controversy and get us a couple of wins that make our third round pick be in a worse spot. there just isnt a benefit to an 8 game rental of kaep for houston at this point.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote:after the loss to the colts ive kinda switched positions. when watson went down i wanted them to sign kaep, but at 3-5 the season is lost, he wont be our starter when watson is back next year, and since we have zero shot at being a playoff team all he csn do is make the texans a shitstorm of controversy and get us a couple of wins that make our third round pick be in a worse spot. there just isnt a benefit to an 8 game rental of kaep for houston at this point.

You don't think he wouldn't be a good backup to Watson going forward? Seems like he might be a perfect backup in fact.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

TT2.0 wrote:after the loss to the colts ive kinda switched positions. when watson went down i wanted them to sign kaep, but at 3-5 the season is lost, he wont be our starter when watson is back next year, and since we have zero shot at being a playoff team all he csn do is make the texans a shitstorm of controversy and get us a couple of wins that make our third round pick be in a worse spot. there just isnt a benefit to an 8 game rental of kaep for houston at this point.

So you want to tank for the Browns and end up picking 68th instead of 77th?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Also, the controversy will last for about 2 days, after which literally millions of people who otherwise wouldn't watch the Texans will tune in to watch him succeed OR to watch him fail. Just like a Tebow start back in 2012. The Mike Vick controversy lasted about 38 minutes in Philadelphia.

Your team might be interesting and still might make the playoffs. If Mariota gets hurt, that team is done. The other team to beat employs Blake Bortles. I get the logic of tanking when you have "no change", but not when you're tanking for a 3rd rounder. The reward isn't worth it.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Gunpowder wrote:

So you want to tank for the Browns and end up picking 68th instead of 77th?

since its our only pick...kinda. also he might be a good backup but if he gets on the field for us i kinda think the spell is broken and some team gives him a shot to compete for a starting job. we are in the cellar with the colts. we basically have to go 6-2 to h
ave an outside shot at a division title..and we still have toplay the rams steelers cardinals ravens titans and jags. tanking for the browns doesnt matter, they could have the top nine first round picks and they would still fuck it off.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm laughing so goddamn hard at this ...

https://twitter.com/nbc4i/status/931605656284536833
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Same, because of this line in the article:

As of Tuesday, McCoy has said the Pledge of Allegiance on social media for 677 consecutive days.

Dude is in the sunken place like David Clarke, Stacey Dash...Etc.

Also, I'm sure you guys saw this, but if not:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbb--HOH3Rh/

JJ Watt was the immediate counter to it because of his crowd sourced hurricane relief efforts.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Can I get some thoughts on this because I kind of think it's bullshit.

My elder child (sophomore) takes a knee for the pledge of allegiance every morning. Well, she just sits in her chair and doesn't say words. She thinks loyalty oaths are fascist and doesn't like having to acknowledge a deity she doesn't think exists. Her reasons don't matter though...it's her choice and she understands people are not going to like it.

Anyway, each homeroom has a TV where they play the announcements and then proceed to do the pledge, the national anthem, and a moment of silence ( I know). Here's the thing though, before they hit you with all this 'Murica, they play this clip from South Park but excluding the first sentence about the Afghani kid. That feels like they're almost shaming the kids that don't partake, doesn't it?

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, that's some bullshit. If I were your daughter I would include an exaggerated wanking motion while that's playing in addition to decision to sit at her desk.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Using a South Park clip to shepherd kids into doing what they're told seems on par with Republican politicians playing Neil Young or whoever at rallies.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Public or Private? That is a crock of shit. She should get up and walk out of the room every morning and come back when forced patriotism time is over.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Public. The town high school. A sub actually tried to giver her detention the other day but she told her she couldn't do that and the sub said to her "We'll see what I can do." I'll fucking cut these people.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God