ESPN 8: The Ocho

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: ESPN 8: The Ocho

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:29 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am Okay so someone just sent me a reference to Ba-Taoshi..WTF

Gadzooks!
Reminded me of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Which come to think of it, how is that model of show not making a comeback in times of covid where TV production is hard & streaming channels just looking for content.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't get the strategy of having the dude on top of the pole. Clearly you don't lose when he's pulled down - it's only when the pole is tilted too far one way. So, having him up there just makes the pole more unstable.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:46 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am Okay so someone just sent me a reference to Ba-Taoshi..WTF

Gadzooks!
Reminded me of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Which come to think of it, how is that model of show not making a comeback in times of covid where TV production is hard & streaming channels just looking for content.
MXE usually streams on Twitch once a month or so. Love having it on and just listening to the commentary.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:07 pm I don't get the strategy of having the dude on top of the pole. Clearly you don't lose when he's pulled down - it's only when the pole is tilted too far one way. So, having him up there just makes the pole more unstable.
Yep.
“wiki” wrote:A team loses when their pole is tilted to a 30° angle. A referee will indicate this using a flag, then declare the winner.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:07 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Gadzooks!
MXE usually streams on Twitch once a month or so. Love having it on and just listening to the commentary.
Right you are, Ken.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Full contact no pad league

This seems like a terrible idea. But maybe not as it means folks tackle like rugby. However how does this get insurance. Can't get a field without insurance.

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just macho tough guys doing macho tough guy shit. Nothing to see there except the non-changing brains of future CTE patients.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm Full contact no pad league

This seems like a terrible idea. But maybe not as it means folks tackle like rugby. However how does this get insurance. Can't get a field without insurance.

I'd love to see injury statistics compared to a similar level league with full pads. Granted that's a compilation of hard hits, but those are some big boys and they aren't holding up on their hits. Gotta be crazy to play in a league like that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We played full contact football for the Turkey Bowl for about 6 years (high school and into college).

That all ended after two guys did their ACL and another got a broken nose. Hella stupid.

Switched to two-hand touch and last a few more years after that.

I do have to say... It's pretty fucking exhilarating knowing you could theoretically get blown up at any given moment.

That said, it helped that we were all good friends, so there was no intentional bullshit going on.

=-=--==

As a kid, I got dragged to a tackle football game at a park when I was 12. My friend group was mix of white and black kids, but this game was with a bunch of guys outside our little unit and it turned out to be me being the only white kid. To say I was a target is disrespectful to bullseyes.

They'd run or throw at me almost every play, and when I'd try to tackle, these motherfuckers were throwing stiff arms. I had braces at the time. I'm spitting blood.

That lasted 3 back and forth series until I just said fuck it. I caught a lot of shit walking away, I just turned around and shrugged. "This shit isn't football and you guys know it." Not like I won the moment, but they stopped heckling me for a minute.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

"This shit isn't football and you guys know it. I'm supposed to be the only one that gets to touch the ball with my hands!"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm We played full contact football for the Turkey Bowl for about 6 years (high school and into college).

That all ended after two guys did their ACL and another got a broken nose. Hella stupid.

Switched to two-hand touch and last a few more years after that.

I do have to say... It's pretty fucking exhilarating knowing you could theoretically get blown up at any given moment.

That said, it helped that we were all good friends, so there was no intentional bullshit going on.

=-=--==

As a kid, I got dragged to a tackle football game at a park when I was 12. My friend group was mix of white and black kids, but this game was with a bunch of guys outside our little unit and it turned out to be me being the only white kid. To say I was a target is disrespectful to bullseyes.

They'd run or throw at me almost every play, and when I'd try to tackle, these motherfuckers were throwing stiff arms. I had braces at the time. I'm spitting blood.

That lasted 3 back and forth series until I just said fuck it. I caught a lot of shit walking away, I just turned around and shrugged. "This shit isn't football and you guys know it." Not like I won the moment, but they stopped heckling me for a minute.
We used to play every weekend from the time I was 13 or so all the way through high school and into college. No one ever got seriously injured...guess we were lucky. Although there was always the one kid who would end up crying or claiming he was hurt on every play. We could get some of the local visiting college kids to play sometimes...there was no better feeling than having one of those guys hit you as hard as they could and still bounce back up like nothing happened.

That being said I can't fathom playing today. It's amazing how invincible you feel when you're young.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, when I was in junior high, we played backyard tackle football all the time with the neighbor kids. Nobody ever got hurt too bad.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

"This shit isn't football and you guys know it. I'm supposed to be the only one that gets to touch the ball with my hands!"
Right!?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm Full contact no pad league

I thought the theory behind no pads/helmets was that you couldn't tackle as hard or lead with your head, so it might actually be safer. Well, those dudes are hitting just as hard as regular football, as far as I can tell. And some of those dudes are huge. I can't image there aren't a lot of serious injuries happening in those games.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So we have a league where nobody goes anyway (the "pro team" in DC played a game on a grass field near the playgrounds near my house that is used for u6 soccer weekends) is changing the name away from the one thing that makes it understandable and relevant.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... jk-rowling
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I must’ve missed this thread earlier when we we’re talking about playing tackle. We played tackle practically every weekend in high school. There were some injuries (a compound fracture here, some ankle sprains, including me, there). I don’t remember anyone getting head injuries though.

Of course, the lack of memory could be the result of ME sustaining a head injury then…
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Knob tossing festival cancelled..too popular

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... newsletter
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:49 am Knocked out and was wondering
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... e-england/
Netflix had a show a few years ago about weird sports.

The cheese rolling episode is nuts... https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81034679
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am

Thank you, I knew I saw a cheese rolling competition on Netflix. So weird, I went back to watching a 3 year old docu-series on sporting events called Home Game last week, and my neighbor brought it up last weekend. I was talking about cheese rolling and he told me the episode didn't exist and I didn't know where I saw it. Seen about half of them, Calcio Storico was fascinating, brutally violent field days style game in Florence dating back to 1530 where people are born into the color teams based on the neighborhood in which they were born. Also really enjoyed the Kok Boru episode about a Kyrgyz sport similar to polo, but played with a dead goat as the ball.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:47 am

Thank you, I knew I saw a cheese rolling competition on Netflix. So weird, I went back to watching a 3 year old docu-series on sporting events called Home Game last week, and my neighbor brought it up last weekend. I was talking about cheese rolling and he told me the episode didn't exist and I didn't know where I saw it. Seen about half of them, Calcio Storico was fascinating, brutally violent field days style game in Florence dating back to 1530 where people are born into the color teams based on the neighborhood in which they were born. Also really enjoyed the Kok Boru episode about a Kyrgyz sport similar to polo, but played with a dead goat as the ball.
In 1984, I saw the Calcio Storico in person.

It's the weirdest thing you can imagine - hundreds of Florence's rich and powerful dressed up in 16th Century garb marching through the city. Bands, statues, a bull... and it all ends up in a piazza that is covered in dirt and surrounded by 5,000 temporary seats as the tough guys from one neighbourhood pummel the tough guys from another neighbourhood. We saw an enraged guy jump from the stands onto the field where he attacked one of the players. The guy next to me claimed that it was one of the city counsellors.

Holy shit is it crazy.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:41 pm

It's the weirdest thing you can imagine - hundreds of Florence's rich and powerful dressed up in 16th Century garb marching through the city. Bands, statues, a bull... and it all ends up in a piazza that is covered in dirt and surrounded by 5,000 temporary seats as the tough guys from one neighbourhood pummel the tough guys from another neighbourhood. We saw an enraged guy jump from the stands onto the field where he attacked one of the players. The guy next to me claimed that it was one of the city counsellors.

Holy shit is it crazy.
Wow, that had to be incredible to watch live. Or horrifying. The level of violence in horrifying.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

More wild than horrifying.

A lot of wrestling moves like headlocks and punches. Guys would start grappling and would be brawling on the ground as the play was going on around them.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Holy shit is it crazy.
Wow, that had to be incredible to watch live. Or horrifying. The level of violence in horrifying.
The wife and I watched that a bit back. It was fascinating. And strange.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:21 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Holy shit is it crazy.
The wife and I watched that a bit back. It was fascinating. And strange.
I kept alternating between thinking this even is so stupid and the rate of injuries is insane, how does this continue, to thinking how amazing it is this event continues on, relatively unchanged, for 500 years! As long as there are people willing to participate, let the game go on. When they showed the actual game footage, it wasn't as bad as I expected. While there are no rules in the violence category, the players respect their opponents. Nobody seemed to be looking to intentionally injure anyone. And the moment where the black guy broke the older (40 yo) guys ribs, he said he knew the guy was hurt and immediately stopped. It's much less dangerous that once a front man goes to ground, they have to stay down until a goal a scored. I was expecting guys to triple team an injured guy on the ground to make sure he stays down for the rest of the match. Guys who were down seemed to kind of chill, laying on each other watching the game.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This reminds me of Battle of the Oranges in Ivrea Italy. There was a NY Times article/sunday reads podcast a few weeks ago about it.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/c ... vrea-italy

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/326-the- ... 113662661/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Chad Ochocinco isn’t bad at cornhole
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Of all the random sports they put on The Ocho, cornhole is the easiest one for the layperson to master.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Assuming one's partner is amenable.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:03 pm Of all the random sports they put on The Ocho, cornhole is the easiest one for the layperson to master.
Tell that to TO
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:40 am Competitive Boat Docking
Never been so happy for the word "boat".
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:14 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:40 am Competitive Boat Docking
Never been so happy for the word "boat".
?