Rick and Morty

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Rick and Morty

Post by sancarlos »

I've loved Rick and Morty ever since my daughter turned me on to it about a year ago. As most of you know, it's now in its third season. If you aren't watching it, then imho, you are really missing out.

Last Sunday's episode (#3) "Pickle Rick" was one of the strangest, but also one of the best. I was intrigued enough to go looking for reviews to compare my thoughts on the episode with those of others. Sure enough, I found a couple interesting ones, such as this one and this one.

Here's an interesting excerpt:
...But later, having finally survived the heroic escapades, Rick shows up to the therapy session, tired, beaten, and nearly dead. He's done so because this is the seeming right thing to do, but it's more that he's simply too tired to keep avoiding it and he wants the serum back (a mere band-aid for his current problem). Of course, Rick can't keep up his veil of complacency for long, and his disdain for therapy comes out. And it all manifests in what is perhaps the single most brilliant explanation of therapy I've ever seen from a piece of art (and please know that therapy has become something I've come to hold quite dear)...

Therapist: "Rick, why did you lie to your daughter?"

Rick: "So I wouldn't have to come here."

Therapist: "Why didn't you want to come here?"

Rick: "Because I don't respect therapy. Because I'm a scientist. Because I invent, transform, create, and destroy for a living. And when I don't like something about the world, I change it. And I don't think going to a rented office in a strip mall to listen to some agent of averageness explain which words mean which feelings has ever helped anyone do anything. I think it's helped a lot of people get comfortable and stop panicking, which is a state of mind we value in the animals we eat, but not something I want for myself. I'm not a cow. I'm a pickle - when I feel like it - So... you asked."

Therapist: "Rick. The only connection between your unquestionable intelligence and the sickness destroying your family, is that everyone in your family, you included, use intelligence to justify sickness. You seem to alternate between viewing your own mind as an unstoppable force and as an inescapable curse. And I think it's because the only truly unapproachable concept for you is that it is your mind within your control. You chose to come here, you chose to talk, to belittle my vocation, just as you chose to become a pickle. You are the master of your universe. And yet, you are dripping with rat's blood and feces. Your enormous mind literally vegetating by your own hand. I have no doubt that you would be bored senseless by therapy. The same way I'm bored when I brush my teeth and wipe my ass. Because the thing about repairing, maintaining, and cleaning is - it's NOT an adventure - There's no way to do it so wrong you might die. It's just... work. And the bottom line is some people are okay going to work and some people, well, some people would rather die. Each of us gets to choose."

The stunned silence that follows is the kind that exists only when a horrible-yet-potentially-freeing truth has been unveiled, but nothing is so devastating as the scene that follows. As they drive home, Rick and his daughter apologize with niceties, putting the band aids on their relationship, and ignoring the magnitude of what has actually happened. Her children, Morty and Summer, sit in the back, wide-eyed and terrified about the avoidance they see before them. They sheepishly ask, "Are we going to go back?" and say "I liked her," clearly desperate to go back to therapy, to the person who genuinely might be able to help them all. The want to do the work. But their adult models are too scared of doing the work and facing the truth, so they will recede into themselves. They don't even answer the kids' words. Instead, Grandpa Rick and their mother make plans to go to a bar and drink the truth away... cut to credits.

I literally shuddered...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Rick and Morty

Post by Johnnie »

My wireless network at home is "MrPoopyWiFi."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pickle Rick!

Yeah, it's a great show. It says something about how great TV is these days that the ability to tell powerful stories in a medium that some people think is intended only for children or the simple-minded that Rick and Morty and/or BoJack Horseman can be absolutely devastating emotionally at times.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Susan Sarandon was cast as the voice of therapist Dr. Wong (racist), and she marvelously delivered the spectacularly great dialog crafted by head writer Jessica Gao. That speech above was incredible, this show is so excellent.

I want a noob-noob t-shirt. I really liked Summer as queen of the mad max wasteland.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:Yeah, it's a great show. It says something about how great TV is these days that the ability to tell powerful stories in a medium that some people think is intended only for children or the simple-minded that Rick and Morty and/or BoJack Horseman can be absolutely devastating emotionally at times.

If The Simpson's did nothing else, I thought it killed off the "cartoons are just for kids" concept years ago.

As for emotionally devastating...

[img]15-year-old-clip-of-the-dog-from-Futurama.gif[/img]
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Based on this thread, and a lot of the comedians I follow on twitter getting all excited about it, have started working my way through Season 1. I am fully on-board. Just passed the episode where Morty and Rick come to a reality where they just died and bury themselves. So good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:Based on this thread, and a lot of the comedians I follow on twitter getting all excited about it, have started working my way through Season 1. I am fully on-board. Just passed the episode where Morty and Rick come to a reality where they just died and bury themselves. So good.

Probably listen to the same podcasts, but yes, I need to watch this based on many of my favorite comedians discussing it. Where can I find the first season?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Based on this thread, and a lot of the comedians I follow on twitter getting all excited about it, have started working my way through Season 1. I am fully on-board. Just passed the episode where Morty and Rick come to a reality where they just died and bury themselves. So good.

Probably listen to the same podcasts, but yes, I need to watch this based on many of my favorite comedians discussing it. Where can I find the first season?

Hulu is only place I know of that streams past seasons.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:

Check out Daily Motion as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

The gf and I watched via Kodi. It's in HD too. But it's stealing. Soooo...up to you and your morals.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
brian wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

The gf and I watched via Kodi. It's in HD too. But it's stealing. Soooo...up to you and your morals.

My morals were affected by the Cease and Desist letters NBC and Verizon sent me.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote: Where can I find the first season?
My DVR. But you never cross the river to visit me. Oh I guess the river crosses both ways, and it's been a while since I've come west. Health is improving, I will soon.)

It can't be too difficult to copy from my cable-company owned DVR to a computer hard drive but I haven't taken the time to figure it out, should do that soon.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:Where can I find the first season?

$20 on Canadian iTunes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am watching on Hulu.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote:My morals were affected by the Cease and Desist letters NBC and Verizon sent me.

Holy shit. Seriously? You're like the third person to ever tell me they we caught. And this goes back to like 2005. One was a power user downloading and seeding every damn thing under the sun. The other was my buddy that downloaded something obscure but had a tracker. Kodi is streaming. I have my vpn on when using.

But I can totally understand being shook by big business coming after you.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:

I think you can do YouTube if you are willing to sit through multiple videos to make up an episode.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:My morals were affected by the Cease and Desist letters NBC and Verizon sent me.

Holy shit. Seriously? You're like the third person to ever tell me they we caught. And this goes back to like 2005. One was a power user downloading and seeding every damn thing under the sun. The other was my buddy that downloaded something obscure but had a tracker. Kodi is streaming. I have my vpn on when using.

But I can totally understand being shook by big business coming after you.

Eh, I wasn't actually scared off. It was around the time they passed the law cracking down on pirating. Then with streaming Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, and my parents HBO password, I haven't even thought about pirating anything. The letter was kind of funny, and came 8 months after I downloaded torrentz of 2 episodes of 30 Rock. NBC sent it to Verizon with my FiOS information, and Verizon forwarded it to me. It was just a letter saying "we know what you did, don't do it again." Verizon may have threatened to slow my connection if I continued.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

tennbengal wrote:Just passed the episode where Morty and Rick come to a reality where they just died and bury themselves. So good.

Soundtrack to Morty's existential angst - Mazzy Star "Look On Down From The Bridge"

(youtube clip from the episode, spoiler, so again, you're welcome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVXkM_YxMg

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

howard wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Just passed the episode where Morty and Rick come to a reality where they just died and bury themselves. So good.

Soundtrack to Morty's existential angst - Mazzy Star "Look On Down From The Bridge"

(youtube clip from the episode, spoiler, so again, you're welcome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVXkM_YxMg

So goddamn good. Watched the entire episode again last night.

Also, this from a few episodes later:

[+] spoiler
Morty: On one of our adventures, Rick and I basically destroyed the whole world, so we bailed on that reality and we came to this one, because in this one, the world wasn't destroyed and in this one, we were dead. So we came here, a- a- and we buried ourselves and we took their place. And every morning, Summer, I eat breakfast twenty yards away from my own rotting corpse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Of fucking course there's a mandatory rent-a-crowd for a fucking general happening at 1pm. Of fucking course.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was able to get to the Rickmobile at Meow Wolf in Santa Fe. It was ok. Long line to buy shwag though.

Also this channel has 24/7 streaming. One with all episodes, one with new:

https://youtu.be/fElHU1db36Y
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched it yesterday. Laughed very, very hard. Added H3 as a podcast to listen to. It was posted today.

That was just 5 minutes of a 5 and a half hour podcast...

https://youtu.be/jnwzb6DkCLM
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That may be the ultimate first world problem.

Also, I think that someone who gets a massive tattoo of characters from their favourite TV show is not really thinking about their life a decade down the road.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That comment is an insult to people with developmental issues.

(Not being P.C., I just think that a mentally retarded person would have more sense than to do something like that)

Let's just say that people are complete idiots.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just had to Google what an incel is. I didn't realize there was a worse term than 'neckbeard' for someone who is "involuntarily celibate."

Anyhoo, the Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind deck building card game is pretty fun.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You really have been out of country. You didn’t see anything about that incel terrorist attack in Toronto three or so weeks ago?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I remember seeing there was someone who drove a van through a crowded area and killed people, but I didn't read into the motive. Figured it was someone with a sick mind, politically motivated..etc. So I didn't delve.

But now I'm reading an article about it.

WTF? Not getting laid leads to terrorism? What timeline is this? Or sounds like a Black Mirror episode.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Attention: AB

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve never even seen the show but a friend explained it to me and it seemed fitting.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 am I've loved Rick and Morty ever since my daughter turned me on to it about a year ago. As most of you know, it's now in its third season. If you aren't watching it, then imho, you are really missing out.
Will have to check it out. I'd not heard of this show, and came into this thread thinking it was about these fellows:

ETA: Must say, the wife and I both love that show, even despite the wild speculation, and the fact that most likely nothing is there...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 am
sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 am I've loved Rick and Morty ever since my daughter turned me on to it about a year ago. As most of you know, it's now in its third season. If you aren't watching it, then imho, you are really missing out.
Will have to check it out.
Here's the original pilot, if you want to familiarize with the show.

RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm
ImaginaryMan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 am
Will have to check it out.
Here's the original pilot, if you want to familiarize with the show.

Thanks! I wonder, do any Canadian Swampers know which channel carries it?