Mother Fucking Nazis and the presidents who ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ them

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Mother Fucking Nazis and the presidents who ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ them

Post by mister d »

Given that their history is pretty much impossible to google, do american antifas have any history of being violent aggressors?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:Given that their history is pretty much impossible to google, do american antifas have any history of being violent aggressors?

They have a tendency to turn most "peaceful" protests into riots. They also really like to break stuff and they think wanton destruction will get their point across. Like whenever a Bush would come to Portland the riot police would mobilize and downtown stores would do anything they could to keep their windows from getting smashed (I guess also when Trump got elected). In a weird way I think having an actual (or more viable) threat in the Trumpkins actually gives them something legitimate to focus their energy on.

Here's a good article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ft/534192/
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This is all about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. There are extremists on both sides that (for better or worse) feel marginalized. Not because of darker skinned people taking their jobs (though there are those on the right that successfully convince those of this), but rather: there's simply too much money in the hands of the few.

Look to the shrinking middle class for your answers.

Trump's just a useful idiot to rise from all this shit.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I have mixed feelings on antifa. On the one hand, they are probably a bit of a liability politically as their actions likely increase fears of a dangerous and unstable left in this country. But on the other hand, I give them credit for pushing back on white supremacists' attempts to dominate social spaces. A number of planned white supremacist rallies have been canceled in the wake of Charlottesville. I doubt that would have happened if liberals just stayed home and ate cake, to use Tina Fey's parlance.

I also think it's a little disingenuous for mainstream Democrats to suggest that Trump is an existential threat to the Republic, or has even committed treason, but then get mad at antifa for responding too aggressively. If Trump really is such a threat, then the "both sides are extreme" position doesn't fly with me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Someone needs to do something about this ... but not you guys."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Well if this guy says the Confederate Flag doesn't symbolize racism, who are we to disagree?

https://twitter.com/Yoojin_Cho/status/9 ... er-coon%2F

For J-Lo and others who can't play the video, he compares Confederate flags and statutes to signs for "Martin Luther Coon" that offend him, but he has the decency to leave the MLC signs. FFS.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Freeze it at 0:19 and you can see the face of a guy who realizes he never gets to use the preface "I'm not racist but ..." again. Poor fella.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was like "Wait, did he just say..."

Yes, yes he did. Fuck that guy. I'm glad he's mad. Poor baby.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Another way to counter nazi rallies...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ayer-rally
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:I was like "Wait, did he just say..."

Yes, yes he did. Fuck that guy. I'm glad he's mad. Poor baby.

Fat fuck's arteries are about to explode. Good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt's a fat shamer based on that and the Huckabee thing.

Not a good look on you, dude.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:Pruitt's a fat shamer based on that and the Huckabee thing.

Not a good look on you, dude.

I'll cop to this one, but the Huckabee line was a face joke, not a weight one.

I just looked at that guy and got so pissed off...

I'll stick to insulting the words, not the body. Truly sorry if I offended.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So now they have to clean up the other piles of shit.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote:So now they have to clean up the other piles of shit.

That never really happened either. They had the protest area cordoned off, so dogs (and people) couldn't get there. Made a good story, tho.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So this came across my feed yesterday. The Robert E. Lee Memorial Church has voted to change its name to Grace Episcopal Church. This is a church where Robert E. Lee led services while president of Washington College (now Washington & Lee University). I walked by this church nearly every day of my college career. It sits maybe 50 yards from W&L's President's house (where the Lees lived has a great porch where wheelchair-bound Mrs. Lee used to talk to students) and Traveler's stables still stand (now the house's garage). On the other side is the pretty new Hillel house, the Asian house (houses faculty and classrooms for that department) and across the street from the international students house, and language immersion houses).

Looks like it created some pretty big infighting in the congregation but was pushing for a name change more than 2 years ago.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/c ... d662c.html

While the school has stated that it is not changing its name, I am wondering how long before that changes.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

...our great statues/heritage!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote:https://twitter.com/MiraVylash/status/916095440273182725

Those have to be bots. Wolfenstein has been a thing since we were kids. To think that had any leanings into the political realm is absurd.

And if those were real humans with real reactions they deserve to be disemboweled.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:
rass wrote:https://twitter.com/MiraVylash/status/916095440273182725

Those have to be bots. Wolfenstein has been a thing since we were kids. To think that had any leanings into the political realm is absurd.

And if those were real humans with real reactions they deserve to be disemboweled.

Twitter bots are run by real humans.

Edit: Actually, there are autonomous ones too, but most are run by people. They use scripts to get messages out to lots of accounts.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Trolls, Bots...potato, tomato.

Basically people/automations who are utilized to see the word "nazi" in any context and create a visceral reaction which triggers regular folks to have a visceral reaction which creates confusion.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, that seems to apply to white supremacists in general. Whenever I see a picture of Bannon, I'm thinking "Really? You're the supreme race?"
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Stolen from Twitter:

Steve Bannon: The Davos class is dead
Wendy's Cashier: I asked if you want to add a Frosty
Bannon: This goes back to Rene Guenon and his model of the west
Wendy's Cashier: Huh?
Bannon: (A group of blood vessels break on his face)
Wendy's Cashier: Why are you wearing seven shirts?
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Standing ovation from me to my former city of residence. Well done, Memphis:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/n ... 960707001/

The city of Memphis sold two public parks containing Confederate monuments to a nonprofit Wednesday in a massive, months-in-the-planning operation to take the statues down overnight.

The City Council unanimously approved the sale of Health Science Park, home of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, and its easement on Fourth Bluff Park, home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, for $1,000 each to Memphis Greenspace Inc. Fourth Bluff, or Memphis Park, is owned by a group called The Overton Heirs.

The sale — which is almost certain to result in a lawsuit from statue supporters — allows Greenspace to legally do what the city of Memphis cannot: Remove the statues from their visible perches in the parks, Chief Legal Officer Bruce McMullen said. He said they would be stored in an undisclosed location for security reasons.

They did that maneuver because the State had passed legislation forbidding the city from taking the statues down itself. But apparently hadn't thought the city would sell the parks where the statues were located...

(side note, one of the Shelby County Commissioners mentioned in the article is in a fantasy football league I am still active in)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Feel like it went really under-reported that the Stoneman HS shooter had some very clear white supremacist views and now another (apparent/possible) white supremacist is apparently sending mail bombs in Austin.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am Seems like an Onion story, but no...
Weird statement at the end:

"“You have a guy like Jakiw Palij, who participated in the slaughter of thousands of people, who is stuck in the U.S. because no one else is willing to take him? Are we that deeply out of sync with the rest of the world in terms of pursuing individuals who participated in genocide?”"

It seems to me that the other countries are PERCECTLY in sync and don't want him there, either. Possession being 9/10ths of the law I suppose. You have him already, we aren't taking him off your hands.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm

"“You have a guy like Jakiw Palij, who participated in the slaughter of thousands of people, who is stuck in the U.S. because no one else is willing to take him? Are we that deeply out of sync with the rest of the world in terms of pursuing individuals who participated in genocide?”"

It seems to me that the other countries are PERCECTLY in sync and don't want him there, either. Possession being 9/10ths of the law I suppose. You have him already, we aren't taking him off your hands.
I agree and I agree with the incongruity, but this administration has no problem sending a person brought to this country as a 2-year-old to some random country that was the last jumping off point before their family arrived in the United States even if it wasn't their actual homeland, but can't be bothered to send a Nazi somewhere, anywhere at the same time.

ICE sends people literally to random Central American countries if they don't know where they're from. So send this guy to Israel and let them deal with him. I'm sure they'd have some ideas on making sure he's nice and comfortable there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That would be most excellent.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:10 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm

I agree and I agree with the incongruity, but this administration has no problem sending a person brought to this country as a 2-year-old to some random country that was the last jumping off point before their family arrived in the United States even if it wasn't their actual homeland, but can't be bothered to send a Nazi somewhere, anywhere at the same time.

ICE sends people literally to random Central American countries if they don't know where they're from. So send this guy to Israel and let them deal with him. I'm sure they'd have some ideas on making sure he's nice and comfortable there.
Do you have examples of the bolded part? Unless the random Central American countries are agreeing to take these deportees for some reason, ICE can't deport them. The problem with this Palij guy, is that he must have renounced his prior citizenship when he naturalized as a US citizen. When they revoked his US citizenship for falsifying his documents, he is now not a citizen of any country, so Germany or Poland or wherever he was from does not consider him a citizen. The DACA people are still citizens of their birth country, even if they left as an infant and never returned, so those countries have to accept the deportees.

There are a lot of situations where ICE can't deport people, and they are held indefinitely in ICE Detention Centers. 60 Minutes did an amazing piece on this 10+ years ago, and I saw it when I visited an ICE Detention Center. Those cases were different, because the people were here on green cards, and committed crimes, but their country of origin no longer exists. So for example, you'd have a Yugoslavian citizen with a permanent residency (green card) convicted of petty theft. Instead of getting 6 months in jail, they would try to deport, but his country no longer exists. Serbia or Croatia or whichever region he was from does not have to recognize him as a citizen, so instead, he gets a life sentence in an ICE Detention Center for a minor crime. Palij did not commit a crime that we can prosecute in the US, so we can't process him through the criminal system. I'm not sure if there is some way ICE could prepare him for deportation and indefinitely detain him since he can't be deported. It's a shitty situation, but the article completely fails to explain the situation. ICE has no recourse to deport Palij.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nothing I can remember a link to, but the gist is similar to what you describe in that someone has been here for 20 years and they're from Guatemala or maybe El Salvador or maybe somewhere else and eventually migrated here and the rest of their family is gone or scatters when ICE shows up so they have to more or less pick a dot on the map to send them back to. So the word "random" on my part is a bit of hyperbole but essentially accurate.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 pm Nothing I can remember a link to, but the gist is similar to what you describe in that someone has been here for 20 years and they're from Guatemala or maybe El Salvador or maybe somewhere else and eventually migrated here and the rest of their family is gone or scatters when ICE shows up so they have to more or less pick a dot on the map to send them back to. So the word "random" on my part is a bit of hyperbole but essentially accurate.
If by pick a dot, you mean dump that off at an airport in their country of citizenship, then yes. ICE deports people all the time who have lived in the US since they were young children, and they don't speak the language or know anyone in their country of citizenship. I really can't fathom the reality of what these people do. Does Guatemala have a program to help lifelong American residents who were born in Guatemala and thrown back as adults? I tend to doubt it.

One of the reasons I left Customs was because my office took on more tasks that previously fell under INS. One task was to determine whether "paroled" resident aliens could return to the US, or if they should have a deportation hearing. The criminal justice system royally fucks resident aliens, because shitty defense attorneys don't understand the immigration law consequences to resident aliens. They often don't realize their client isn't a citizen. So a guy gets a DWI, or possession of marijuana for the smallest amount, or whatever minor offense, and the defense attorney will tell them to plead out and pay a $100 fine rather than risking jail time. They listen, and think they are good to go. Then they go on vacation out of the US, and when they return, they get flagged at the border because they have a criminal conviction, and legally can't return. [They are paroled into the country pending a determination, so in legal terms, they aren't readmitted to the US, but they are free to live their lives as if nothing happened].

Looking through their files was heartbreaking. You'd have a 50 year old guy who entered the US as a refugee, fleeing a genocide or something as 5 year old. Then you'd see he pled guilty to possession or disorderly conduct for getting into a fight when he was 18. 32 years later, an Immigration inspector flags him at the airport, and he has to live in terror of being deported to a country he can't remember being in, with no contacts, no knowledge of the language... Of the 100s I reviewed, a handful were like, yeah, this POS needs to get deported. The overwhelming majority were trifling BS, and the people were living productive lives. Over 90% of the files I had to refer for hearings, because they met the standard that they should not be allowed back into the country. I never found out what happened to any of them, but I was perversely relieved to learn that 50% of the people issued hearings fail to appear, and the punishment for not appearing is a rescheduled hearing. I was told that possession of marijuana and old convictions were almost always ignored, and the Judges granted permission to return, but I never knew for sure.

This is why I am terrified hearing Sessions is issuing quotas for immigration judges to deport people. It's fucking bullshit.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm Standing ovation from me to my former city of residence. Well done, Memphis:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/n ... 960707001/
The city of Memphis sold two public parks containing Confederate monuments to a nonprofit Wednesday in a massive, months-in-the-planning operation to take the statues down overnight.

The City Council unanimously approved the sale of Health Science Park, home of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, and its easement on Fourth Bluff Park, home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, for $1,000 each to Memphis Greenspace Inc. Fourth Bluff, or Memphis Park, is owned by a group called The Overton Heirs.

The sale — which is almost certain to result in a lawsuit from statue supporters — allows Greenspace to legally do what the city of Memphis cannot: Remove the statues from their visible perches in the parks, Chief Legal Officer Bruce McMullen said. He said they would be stored in an undisclosed location for security reasons.
They did that maneuver because the State had passed legislation forbidding the city from taking the statues down itself. But apparently hadn't thought the city would sell the parks where the statues were located...

(side note, one of the Shelby County Commissioners mentioned in the article is in a fantasy football league I am still active in)

Fuck Tennessee.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

People who organized Charlottesville last year get approval for another rally on the anniversary of Heather Heyer's death in...wait for it...right in front of the White House.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A good day to avoid downtown D.C.