Hurricane Harvey

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by mister d »

Yeah, its hilarious to think that after the reelection I was convinced we'd bottomed out and GWB would be the dumbest president of my lifetime.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We need another Kanye moment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYjIF29H1u4/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Mike Myers reaction sealed the moment
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If anything though, Desus and Mero are doing a great job calling Osteen on his bullshit.

https://youtu.be/BNYW-4y9VxU

https://youtu.be/yiQMmb5LHEg
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The EPA Under People Who Don't Give A Shit

The EPA had put out a statement on Saturday saying that 11 of the Houston Superfund sites were still inaccessible because of floodwaters, but that agency personnel would be on the scene as soon as possible.

Follow
Julie Pace ✔ @jpaceDC
EPA says Superfund sites around Houston aren't accessible to its personnel. @AP got to 7 by boat, vehicle, on foot https://apnews.com/27796dd13b9549b0ac76aded58a15122
6:32 PM - Sep 2, 2017
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Crazy
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Holy shit the traffic, you guys. In case anyone still had any second thoughts about not evacuating the city, I'd suggest they come do my commute for the foreseeable future.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

and i'm still coming out next week!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

elflaco wrote:and i'm still coming out next week!

Don't go anywhere west.

Left at 5:55 this morning and my 22-mile commute took 90 minutes. Normally 45. Yesterday was 2 hours in, 75 minutes out. And going home I left an hour early which normally would be a 30-minute drive at that time. I'm letting my folks WFH if they want, and definitely leaving early if they come in.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A friend of mine is getting unreliable info from his mortgage company about disaster relief on his payments. They've set it up where he doesn't have to pay until 11/25, but isn't sure if a) he needs to stay up to date on insurance/taxes and b) if on 11/25, he owes the payments he missed or does he just pick up where he left off.

Any thoughts?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:A friend of mine is getting unreliable info from his mortgage company about disaster relief on his payments. They've set it up where he doesn't have to pay until 11/25, but isn't sure if a) he needs to stay up to date on insurance/taxes and b) if on 11/25, he owes the payments he missed or does he just pick up where he left off.

Any thoughts?

On the former, he should stay up to date on those...but I am guessing they are wrapped into his monthly mortgage payment as part of his escrow, right?

He needs to call his mortgage company and ask specifically if he should make payments to keep his escrow account with the balance needed to meet the minimum required to be in there for his tax and insurance draws. There are usually pretty clear requirements about how much needs to be in escrow at any given time. As for the second part, that should also be asked in a call.

Tell him to call. ASAP. Tell him to politely get name of whoever he talks to and have him write down everything. Is Texas a state where you need permission from other parties to record calls? If not, record that sucker. And if they automatically record on their end (via announcement) then he should definitely tape it too...

ETA: Texas is a one-party consent state. So if I were him I would tape the conversation.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:
Giff wrote:A friend of mine is getting unreliable info from his mortgage company about disaster relief on his payments. They've set it up where he doesn't have to pay until 11/25, but isn't sure if a) he needs to stay up to date on insurance/taxes and b) if on 11/25, he owes the payments he missed or does he just pick up where he left off.

Any thoughts?

On the former, he should stay up to date on those...but I am guessing they are wrapped into his monthly mortgage payment as part of his escrow, right?

He needs to call his mortgage company and ask specifically if he should make payments to keep his escrow account with the balance needed to meet the minimum required to be in there for his tax and insurance draws. There are usually pretty clear requirements about how much needs to be in escrow at any given time. As for the second part, that should also be asked in a call.

Tell him to call. ASAP. Tell him to politely get name of whoever he talks to and have him write down everything. Is Texas a state where you need permission from other parties to record calls? If not, record that sucker. And if they automatically record on their end (via announcement) then he should definitely tape it too...

ETA: Texas is a one-party consent state. So if I were him I would tape the conversation.

Really appreciate it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My very strong guess is a mortgage company can't impose a hold on insurance or taxes and this would only apply to principal + interest.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Taxes are usually paid only once a year - at the end of the year. And insurance is commonly twice. If he has an escrow, the mortgage company makes those payments and they just hold on to his monthly payments. I can't see how skipping two months would make that big of a difference (although he may have to make up the missing escrow payments).
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is probably where property tax differences comes into play pretty big. 2 months is a not insignificant amount.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Taxes are usually paid only once a year - at the end of the year. And insurance is commonly twice. If he has an escrow, the mortgage company makes those payments and they just hold on to his monthly payments. I can't see how skipping two months would make that big of a difference (although he may have to make up the missing escrow payments).

Not saying you're wrong because I have no idea how most places work but taxes are paid twice yearly in Michigan and quarterly in Nevada (the only two places I've lived).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Fair enough. Do those states have state property tax? I've only paid local, and I guess only in a few places. It has always been yearly for me.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Fair enough. Do those states have state property tax? I've only paid local, and I guess only in a few places. It has always been yearly for me.

In Nevada it's county property taxes. In Michigan if I remember right you pay the state but those payments include your county taxes (so guessing the escrow/mortgage company distributes to each appropriately?)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks for the help guys.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm We need another Kanye moment.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."