Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: College Football - September 2017

Post by Pruitt »

Wow!

Even the highlights were stunning.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dammit. Fell asleep, woke up for the very end of WVU/VT and didn't even look at Twitter or check the score of the other game. Damn.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Wonder if last night is going to help Rosen dig out of the hole his mouth has already put him in.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Wonder if last night is going to help Rosen dig out of the hole his mouth has already put him in.

Last time I checked, Rosen has a big advantage over Kaepernick.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Wonder if last night is going to help Rosen dig out of the hole his mouth has already put him in.

Last time I checked, Rosen has a big advantage over Kaepernick.

Very true, sadly. Also, what Rosen said about being a student-athlete is indisputably correct. Here are his quotes:

Most of the attention paid to this Bleacher Report Q&A with UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen will focus on one line in particular, on the subject of academics in the world of college football. “Raise the SAT requirement at Alabama,” he says, “and see what kind of team they have.” What shouldn’t be overlooked, though, is what Rosen said just a few sentences before his line about Alabama: “Look, football and school don’t go together. They just don’t. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs.”

In 22 words, Rosen perfectly and frankly laid out the reality of the “student-athlete” label that the NCAA loves to slap on its players—namely, that it makes no sense. You can be a student, or you can be an athlete, but doing both requires an impossible amount of time, even for someone who loves school, as Rosen says he does. “Human beings don’t belong in school with our schedules,” Rosen said. “No one in their right mind should have a football player’s schedule and go to school."

Does anyone really think that a starting QB at UCLA is able to have a "normal" academic life? Or, for that matter, that what he said about Alabama is inaccurate?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I somehow missed this.

Kid tells it like it is, and he's not wrong.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Josh Rosen is a johnny-come-lately...

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote:Josh Rosen is a johnny-come-lately...

Cardale tweeted after the Rosen interview and told him to play school.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:Missouri might have some issues on defense this year.

Texas, too. How the hell did they get ranked #23?

That's a really good question. And MD is better than last year... They aint a top 25 team.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not often a team gives up 550 yards rushing and wins. September Butch Jones still has a horseshoe up his ass.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm not sure the last UCLA TD should have counted.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:I'm not sure the last UCLA TD should have counted.

Only have to have one foot down in college.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

SI.com has a good look at it, and it does look like he bobbled it as he was going down.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote:
Giff wrote:I'm not sure the last UCLA TD should have counted.

Only have to have one foot down in college.

You also have to have control of the ball when you have the one foot down and I don't think he did. I also wondered about the play before as it was a low throw and some Aggies thought it was incomplete. They never showed a replay that I recall seeing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Terps lose starting QB Tyrrell Pigrome to a torn ACL. He was 9 of 12 passes for 175 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran 11 times for 66 yards and another touchdown in 3q of work before the injury. Hill (true Freshmen) looked pretty good after his delay of game in taking over. They also have a UNC transfer (but hurt foot) and a former Air Force commit (who played Juco last year) on the depth chart.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This weird, somewhat disjointed but interesting to me essay popped up, could fit in a number of threads but this one was nearest the top. Dude talks about college football, our current socio/cultural/political deal, and floods, ties together some interesting threads. Not super profound but I liked it, hope you do too.

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS
WHAT’S LEFT IS WHAT’S PRACTICED
by Spencer Hall@edsbs Sep 1, 2017, 2:28pm EDT (everydayshouldbesatureay.com
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard wrote:This weird, somewhat disjointed but interesting to me essay popped up, could fit in a number of threads but this one was nearest the top. Dude talks about college football, our current socio/cultural/political deal, and floods, ties together some interesting threads. Not super profound but I liked it, hope you do too.

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS
WHAT’S LEFT IS WHAT’S PRACTICED
by Spencer Hall@edsbs Sep 1, 2017, 2:28pm EDT (everydayshouldbesatureay.com

Haven't read it, but I really like Spencer's work. He had a great piece about growing up poor a few years ago. He's also funny as hell on Shutdown Fullcast.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

FCS doing some work against the SEC today.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's Kansas which is barely a Power Five team but nice win for CMU today. That's 2-0 vs the Big 12 the last two years.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(And if you can figure out how CMU can be lucky to win at home against a horrible FCS team and then go dominate a Power Five team on the road, hit me up.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Serious congrats to UNH beating Georgia Southern too. That triple option is no joke.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Fuck Ohio state.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote:Fuck Ohio state.

baker mayfield is mid thrust
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It is so satisfying seeing Ohio State lose.

Also, have you ever seen a punt on 4th and goal from the 7 yard line on the opposite side of the field?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY2DLsBHI9G/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Amazing! A loss of 88 yards on the play.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wish it had been like 2nd and 7 from the 8 so we would have gotten to see 2nd and 95.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think pretty much regardless of your feelings on Michigan,there's no way this isn't going to be awesome.

(Though I would say the same for about 15 or 20 different college programs. Still unfettered, unedited access to Harbaugh for a season is going to be a trip.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks for sharing that. I'm obviously pumped to see that...

If this had been suggested during the Dave Brandon/Brady Hoke era... Nightmare.

But at this point, I have supreme confidence in this being a highly entertaining and informative look at this high-function program.

The turnaround from just 3 years ago is, quite frankly, stunning. Even for someone like me that had confidence Harbaugh would turn things around. From where this program was (not just players, but the overall functionality of the thing) to now is whipsaw quick.

My insider guy says that the confidence, even after a shaky O performance, is through the roof with these guys. That could come crashing down with another wobbly outing against AF and their hybrid option nonsense... But I have a feeling AF's undersize D is going to allow Wilton to get some mojo back this weekend.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia got waxed by Indiana on Saturday. The 34-17 score is actually kind to UVA. And Indiana's not that good.

I really thought Bronco Mendenhall was going to be a savior of the program. He had the track record at BYU, and he seems to say and do the right things. But the team really doesn't look much better than it did in the late Mike London years. And the recruiting seems to be worse.

I don't get it. It's just weird sometimes how a coach can be so successful at one school and not at all at another.

I know it's only game 2 of year 2. I'm not ready to run the guy out or anything. But, how long until we see some improvement?
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:Virginia got waxed by Indiana on Saturday. The 34-17 score is actually kind to UVA. And Indiana's not that good.

I really thought Bronco Mendenhall was going to be a savior of the program. He had the track record at BYU, and he seems to say and do the right things. But the team really doesn't look much better than it did in the late Mike London years. And the recruiting seems to be worse.

I don't get it. It's just weird sometimes how a coach can be so successful at one school and not at all at another.

I know it's only game 2 of year 2. I'm not ready to run the guy out or anything. But, how long until we see some improvement?

Well, recruiting for BYU is probably not much like recruiting for any other school.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'd love to read the responses, but not enough to search out that board.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:I'd love to read the responses, but not enough to search out that board.

EDSBS did and apparently it was basically a lot of "your an idiot", which is also delightful in its own way.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote:Virginia got waxed by Indiana on Saturday. The 34-17 score is actually kind to UVA. And Indiana's not that good.

Indiana is actually sneaky good. They're not a bad team at all. They hung in with OSU for most of three quarters. They have given MI fits over the last 4 years or so. They are very erratic, but when their QB is on and their defense starts buzzing, they are a tough out.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is Mendenhall running drastically different schemes than what London did? When you have changeover in offensive and defensive schemes in college, it becomes a lot of square peg/round hole until the new coach's recruits are in the system for a few years.

Did Mendenhall and his incoming staff have recruiting connections in the mid-Atlantic and Carolinas prior to coming to Virginia? Does Mendenhall run a specific offense or defense that appeals to recruits? If the answer is no to both of these, recruiting takes a significant step back because the coaches are basically starting from scratch.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote:I think pretty much regardless of your feelings on Michigan,there's no way this isn't going to be awesome.

(Though I would say the same for about 15 or 20 different college programs. Still unfettered, unedited access to Harbaugh for a season is going to be a trip.)

Don't really care either way about Michigan, but what I can't wait for is to relive the UF/UM game...

related:

I think we'll find this was a case of sabotage, not storm damage. It's too perfect.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote:I think we'll find this was a case of sabotage, not storm damage. It's too perfect.

I thought the same thing, but I have no idea how. Especially in the middle of a storm.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:I think pretty much regardless of your feelings on Michigan,there's no way this isn't going to be awesome.

I'm shocked that Harbaugh signed off on this.