College Football - September 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: College Football - September 2017

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:I think pretty much regardless of your feelings on Michigan,there's no way this isn't going to be awesome.

(Though I would say the same for about 15 or 20 different college programs. Still unfettered, unedited access to Harbaugh for a season is going to be a trip.)

I'm shocked that Harbaugh signed off on this.

Really? He's all about the attention and recruiting and this only feeds into that. It's produced by Big Ten Network in part, so while I'm sure they're going to seek to have full-access, it's not REALLY full access (it's basically going to be a college version of "All or Nothing" on Amazon which is produced by NFL Films and I'm assuming it's the same kind of "access".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, this shit falls firmly into Knock Me Over with a Feather territory.

There'll be some uncomfortable moments, some scenes that manufacture or play up some tension that gets resolved by episodes end.

I don't know how many of you watched Last Chance U on Netflix. If not, I highly recommend it. The reason that show is good is because a) the players are there because they are, for the most part, fuck-ups. They struggle keeping their shit together and they are under an immense amount of pressure to get their shit together... To extremely varied and mixed results.

The other reason is b) the head coach is a goddamn rage-o-holic who literally can't control his mouth and demeanor, even in S2 when he's fully aware of what a maniac he looks like after S1 aired. He makes a big deal about being a changed man, and proceeds to essentially lose his shit on the reg, to the point of pretty much letting his OC go late in the season.

=-=-=-=-=

Contrast that to Harbaugh, who has pretty much completely toned down his act on the sideline because the NCAA put in a rule this year that refs can give you a 15 yd flag the second you cross the white line OR do something they deem deserves it.

Not saying he won't get an unsporstmanlike this year, but there have been a solid half-a-dozen calls this year that he would've flipped his shit last year.

And, what Brian said. Netflix had leverage with that Juco. Amazon, just like with the NFL, doesn't really have that kind of leverage. MI/BTN will gladly mirror the other shows Amazon puts out, that don't really get too deep and likely allow for editorial control from MI/BTN.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Is Mendenhall running drastically different schemes than what London did? When you have changeover in offensive and defensive schemes in college, it becomes a lot of square peg/round hole until the new coach's recruits are in the system for a few years.

Did Mendenhall and his incoming staff have recruiting connections in the mid-Atlantic and Carolinas prior to coming to Virginia? Does Mendenhall run a specific offense or defense that appeals to recruits? If the answer is no to both of these, recruiting takes a significant step back because the coaches are basically starting from scratch.

Yes, he has (tried to) put in his spread offense. They had to mostly give up on that early last year and it looks like they still don't have it. London, of course, had no schemes, so anything would be new. I know it can take time, but then, you also see cases where new coaches put in spread offenses at smaller schools and immediately begin putting up big offensive numbers.

The one criticism of the hire at the time was the lack of local connections. If I remember, he only kept one or two former assistants. So yeah, they have build up that network, but you would think a high-powered spread offense would bring in some talent. It hasn't yet.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Is Mendenhall running drastically different schemes than what London did? When you have changeover in offensive and defensive schemes in college, it becomes a lot of square peg/round hole until the new coach's recruits are in the system for a few years.

Did Mendenhall and his incoming staff have recruiting connections in the mid-Atlantic and Carolinas prior to coming to Virginia? Does Mendenhall run a specific offense or defense that appeals to recruits? If the answer is no to both of these, recruiting takes a significant step back because the coaches are basically starting from scratch.

Yes, he has (tried to) put in his spread offense. They had to mostly give up on that early last year and it looks like they still don't have it. London, of course, had no schemes, so anything would be new. I know it can take time, but then, you also see cases where new coaches put in spread offenses at smaller schools and immediately begin putting up big offensive numbers.

The one criticism of the hire at the time was the lack of local connections. If I remember, he only kept one or two former assistants. So yeah, they have build up that network, but you would think a high-powered spread offense would bring in some talent. It hasn't yet.

Dealing with the same scenario in the same conference up here. At least Dino Babers and his staff are better recruiters than, frankly, probably any coaching staff ever here (previous coaches who posted good records were so long ago, Syracuse had an actual football brand and recruiting wasn't, in large part, a facilities arms race). Previous coaches who were never able to build things back up (and in some cases, made things worse) did things like change coordinators every offseason, so there is a constant cycle of teaching the kids who don't fit a new offense/recruiting to a new scheme.

It is a vicious cycle that doesn't end as long as guys keep getting canned quickly and not replaced by a guy who has the freedom to do his thing for more than five years. Canning a guy who has shown he is not going to get it done early is acceptable, but a replacement has to have something that makes him seem that he will get it done. Mendenhall's track record is his "something".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Previous coaches who were never able to build things back up (and in some cases, made things worse) did things like change coordinators every offseason, so there is a constant cycle of teaching the kids who don't fit a new offense/recruiting to a new scheme.

That sums up the Mike London era. He recruited well, but they constantly change coordinators and schemes and frankly, he wasn't nearly good enough to make that work. The team was always horribly unprepared and sloppy.

I thought if Mendenhall just got everyone on the same page and stopped with the delay of game penalties at critical moments, improvement would be easy. By all accounts, things are run much better now, but I'm just not seeing clear improvement on the field.

I still think he can get it done. I was thinking/hoping he'd be our football Tony Bennett, but maybe that was a bit too optimistic.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Previous coaches who were never able to build things back up (and in some cases, made things worse) did things like change coordinators every offseason, so there is a constant cycle of teaching the kids who don't fit a new offense/recruiting to a new scheme.

That sums up the Mike London era. He recruited well, but they constantly change coordinators and schemes and frankly, he wasn't nearly good enough to make that work. The team was always horribly unprepared and sloppy.

I thought if Mendenhall just got everyone on the same page and stopped with the delay of game penalties at critical moments, improvement would be easy. By all accounts, things are run much better now, but I'm just not seeing clear improvement on the field.

I still think he can get it done. I was thinking/hoping he'd be our football Tony Bennett, but maybe that was a bit too optimistic.

Syracuse looked awesome blowing out an overmatched FCS opponent in first game, then lost to Middle Tennessee (a bowl team from C-USA) last week and now a significant segment of the fan base is freaking out, especially because the offense (Babers' calling card) looked terrible and they are tired of being a lousy program.

The thing is it just takes time and there is almost no way to get a quick fix in football. Too many players are needed and they all need to be in lockstep for improvements. Just feels like turnarounds should come faster because to seems like they do in other sports (a team goes worst to first in their division in NFL every year or an addition of one or two players flips the fortunes of a basketball team), but they're near impossible in highest levels of college football.

Patience is a motherfucker.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think a lot of Syracuse fans (and frankly some media people who should know better) are selling Middle Tennessee short. That's a good team and could very well end up in the CUSA title game. A mid-tier (for now) ACC team losing to possibly the best team in CUSA by a TD is not a tragedy or a really horrible loss. Another reason I like Syracuse by a couple of TDs this weekend.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

CMU announced a game against LSU in September 2021 and I could not be more excited. Maybe the most psyched I've ever been for a CMU road game.

ETA: I don't think there's too many teams they could play that I would be more psyched about. Maybe Texas or Texas A&M. Maybe UCLA just to see them play in the Rose Bowl.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:CMU announced a game against LSU in September 2021 and I could not be more excited. Maybe the most psyched I've ever been for a CMU road game.

ETA: I don't think there's too many teams they could play that I would be more psyched about. Maybe Texas or Texas A&M. Maybe UCLA just to see them play in the Rose Bowl.

I don't enjoy watching my team play an SEC powerhouse. Colorado State is a 29.5 point underdog in Alabama this weekend. Ack. (Give the points.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean just the experience of a legendary stadium/program. Would welcome a game against Alabama as well.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:I mean just the experience of a legendary stadium/program. Would welcome a game against Alabama as well.

Yeah I get that. Since CSU won't be viewed as any threat, I would probably be treated well and get to soak up a fun experience if I was there. (And maybe look up Bobby P.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

From what I've read over the years, non-SEC fans are treated pretty well at most venues. I mean, obvious caveat about being an asshole visiting fan and all that.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote:From what I've read over the years, non-SEC fans are treated pretty well at most venues. I mean, obvious caveat about being an asshole visiting fan and all that.

Mulligan and I have been to Tennessee twice for Ohio-Tennessee games, and we were treated great both times. Our trip to Lexington for the Ohio-UK a couple of years ago was similarly outstanding, especially the pregame tailgating with AB and friends.

The worst we've ever been treated by away fans was Ohio State. I'm not joking.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:The worst we've ever been treated by away fans was Ohio State. I'm not joking.

I think you could poll 50 different fanbases and the answer would be the same.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, I'd think a non-SEC team visiting an SEC venue would be an amazing time, unless you won. The postgame walk to the car might be quite hairy after an upset, especially in Death Valley.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sabo wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:From what I've read over the years, non-SEC fans are treated pretty well at most venues. I mean, obvious caveat about being an asshole visiting fan and all that.

Mulligan and I have been to Tennessee twice for Ohio-Tennessee games, and we were treated great both times. Our trip to Lexington for the Ohio-UK a couple of years ago was similarly outstanding, especially the pregame tailgating with AB and friends.

The worst we've ever been treated by away fans was Ohio State. I'm not joking.

I know I'm extremely biased, but I have heard this from so many people, and it's not MI people I'm talking about (because, of course that's a nightmare.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yeah, I know I'm not revealing national secrets by saying Ohio State fans are assholes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:CMU announced a game against LSU in September 2021 and I could not be more excited. Maybe the most psyched I've ever been for a CMU road game.

I tried to get my college friend long weekend this year to be in New Orleans in order to go to Syracuse-LSU next weekend. Failed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, consider betting the over in the Syracuse-CMU game. (CMU just this year installed a hurry-up spread offense so despite hanging 45 on Kansas, oddsmakers may not have caught up on the fact there might be 200 plays run in this game.)

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/statu ... r-syracuse
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, a(nother) 4+ hour game. Great.....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Somehow Rick Pitino looks worse in a football jersey than any man I've ever seen.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I should have complained about UVA earlier. They exploded against UConn today. Yeah, UConn's bad, but still. UVA gained over 600 yards and the QB set a school record with 455 yards. Pretty amazing turn around after a pretty anemic offense the first two games.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Missouri might want to fire its acting defensive coordinator as well.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Glad I eventually turned off Triple-D and watched the end of the UT/UF game.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Though Hawaiian food-truck owner is a new life goal.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Colorado State covered the spread against Alabama. Yay! (Alabama 41, CSU 23).

Lies, damn lies and statistics: First downs: Alabama 24. Colorado State 24.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:So, Colorado State covered the spread against Alabama. Yay! (Alabama 41, CSU 23).

Lies, damn lies and statistics: First downs: Alabama 24. Colorado State 24.

Just to tack on to the Colorado theme.

UNC / CU was a pretty good game. It was a lot closer than the final score would indicate (41-21) with CU putting out of reach really late. Few missed plays by UNC that would have made it a bit tighter.

CU is going to get murdered by UW next week.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

So Sabo told me that bronto wrote that. I guess I should put that in the learn something new everyday thread!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mulligan wrote:So Sabo told me that bronto wrote that. I guess I should put that in the learn something new everyday thread!

Yeah, he's kind of a big deal.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:Though Hawaiian food-truck owner is a new life goal.

Yup.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I went to the PSU game a few years ago in Alabama. Nicest group of people I've ever seen. I had trouble buying my own drink when we went out at night. Students offered to buy us drinks and let us in the front of lines. One even drove us back to our room after his shift ended and we had trouble finding a cab.

On the other hand... Pitt fans were miserable last year. They are closely followed by Rutgers and Maryland. Luckily these three fan bases don't travel at all. OSU and Michigan aren't too bad, but I've only interacted with their fans that travel to away games.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I find that surprising to hear about MD fans. I guess it's probably specific to thinking there's a rivalry with PSU. I wore MI gear to the last game in College Park and didn't hear a peep all game.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I think your right about the MD fans. The same may be true for Rutgers. I was at an FSU/MD game 15 years or so ago and they didn't seem to really care about the game at all.

I do think some of this gets escalated because one team sees it as a rivalry game and the other team does not. The MD basketball fans are great. Probably because PSU doesn't take it very seriously and MD doesn't see PSU as any real competition. This is a bit off-topic, but I was at the PSU/MD men's soccer game on sunday. MD is tough. I'm not sure how the college men hold up for an entire season. The games are so physical and you never see fouls called. It really must wear the players down...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

testuser2 wrote:I went to the PSU game a few years ago in Alabama. Nicest group of people I've ever seen. I had trouble buying my own drink when we went out at night. Students offered to buy us drinks and let us in the front of lines. One even drove us back to our room after his shift ended and we had trouble finding a cab.

Neighborhood watch.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

testuser2 wrote:I think your right about the MD fans. The same may be true for Rutgers. I was at an FSU/MD game 15 years or so ago and they didn't seem to really care about the game at all.

I do think some of this gets escalated because one team sees it as a rivalry game and the other team does not. The MD basketball fans are great. Probably because PSU doesn't take it very seriously and MD doesn't see PSU as any real competition. This is a bit off-topic, but I was at the PSU/MD men's soccer game on sunday. MD is tough. I'm not sure how the college men hold up for an entire season. The games are so physical and you never see fouls called. It really must wear the players down...

Yeah, MD plays a really physical style. And I agree with you and it's actually another thing that (I think) hurts US soccer on a lot of levels (high school games turn into rugby... and that goes for the girls, too...)

The game is meant to be physical, but the American game takes it to an almost unwatchable level at times.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm not sure UK is getting the kind of respect two wins over half-decent -- if struggling -- teams, should get, but it's fair to question how good they really are at this point. I don't really care about the power rankings as much as a lot of people as it's just a bullshit way to generate debate.

I do know if they manage to beat Florida at home on Saturday it's not unreasonable to start wondering if they're a contender in the SEC East. Their second-half schedule is a lot softer than the first half, so even going 5-3 through the first 8 games could set them up for a run at the division title if they can stay healthy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Feels good, don't it!
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

mister d wrote:Neighborhood watch.

I'll take your word on that. You seem to speak from experience.