U-17 World Cup (India)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

U-17 World Cup (India)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US Squad--Durkin is good but the starts on this team are Akinola, Sargent (just signed in Germany after crushing it at the U-20 world cup), and Tim Weah (son of FIFA player of the year George Weah)

Us opens with India in 2 weeks (october 6th). In a group with Colombia and Ghana too.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Penn.), Justin Garces (Atlanta United FC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (6): Sergiño Dest (Ajax; Almere-stad, Netherlands), Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Tyler Shaver (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Akil Watts (Portland Timbers, Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): George Acosta (North Carolina FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Soccer Club; Southlake, Texas), Chris Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (Unattached; Savannah, Ga.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey; Houston, Texas), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallon, Mo.), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Rosedale, N.Y.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: U-17 World Cup (India)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

USA v. India 10:30 FS 2 (and Mali v. Paraguay)

Ghana up 1-0 over Colombia, New Zealand and Turkey knotted at 1 in the middle of the the 2nd half
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

USA up 1 nil at the half on a pk goal by the recent Werdner signing
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And now the US has to play Ghana *again*? WTF?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tim Weah looks exceptionally talented, he was a lot of fun to watch. Akinola shows flashes of talent, but he looked really nervous, or just has terrible touch.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US lost 3 to 1 to Colombia to end group play. Finish 3rd in the group with 6 points. I have to believe nthat will get them into the next phase (but against 1 seed)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:US lost 3 to 1 to Colombia to end group play. Finish 3rd in the group with 6 points. I have to believe nthat will get them into the next phase (but against 1 seed)

They had clinched even before the game. Only determining opponent remains.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Um... Anyone else checking in on this?

Holy shit.

Someone seems to have completely shit the bed.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hopefully they're channelling the frustration from the senior team. Gonna almost certainly be some guys on this team playing for the men's team when the World Cup is in the U.S. in 2026.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:Hopefully they're channelling the frustration from the senior team. Gonna almost certainly be some guys on this team playing for the men's team when the World Cup is in the U.S. in 2026.

Hell, I want some of those guys playing with the senior team next year.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I love the generic fan noise that gets added to the FIFA official highlights of these games.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And holy shit. I hadn't watched them..

The finishing on all 5 was ridiculous.

The second goal by Weah was fucking unreal. Kid had a hat-trick. Sargent and Carleton with clinical finishes... Sargent's, in particular, was an impressive roofer from about 14 out.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sargent is having an amazing run. Great showing at the U-17 qualification, U-20 World Cup, and U-17 World Cup. Kid is clearly the youth player of the year. I am sure Werdner is going to be great for his development but wonder if he made a decision too soon. That being said Scott Gallagher Missouri seemed to treat his development well.

I hope Weah decides that he likes the USMNT program and does not opt for a switch.

Durkin seems to have been a big factor on the field. DC United can't get him time on the pitch (and they stink this year) but he put in almost 1000 minutes for Richmond Kickers.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Weah should be be realizing by now that there's a non-zero chance he's on the 2022 World Cup team so it might be in his best interest to stick with the U.S.

ETA: What's his other options? Liberia for sure, but anything else?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Can they cap tie Weah in friendlies? How soon can they get that done officially?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote:Can they cap tie Weah in friendlies? How soon can they get that done officially?

I don't think you're capped tied from friendlies. If not, the next World Cup qualifier is the earliest chance to cap tie him. So, next fall?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Can they cap tie Weah in friendlies? How soon can they get that done officially?

I don't think you're capped tied from friendlies. If not, the next World Cup qualifier is the earliest chance to cap tie him. So, next fall?

Yuck. The next qualifiers are not until '19 I think. Maybe there is a concacaf cup of some type that comes up before then that they can call him up to?

On a related note, I am going to be ripshit (on this board anyway, apologies ahead of time) if the 16-20 year olds who look like the future are not prominent among the call-ups going forward. Anyone basically over 26 should not see many of these camps in a perfect world at this point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:

Spring of 2020 would likely be absolutely earliest for '22 WCQs. I assume you can be cap-tied in continental championships though? Which if so would mean 2019 Gold Cup.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Friendlies don't cap tie, it has to be a qualifier or part of a competition like Gold Cup, Copa America or the like.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, 2019 Gold Cup is the next continental competition and next opportunity to cap tie anyone. That is also the summer for next Copa America and it is very likely the US will accept an invite to play in it.

Because, here's the thing... Because the US won the '17 Gold Cup, they are locked into (at minimum) a playoff to see who goes to the Confederations Cup in Qatar in 2021. You could make a case that the importance of getting that slot is vital, so you don't go to the Copa.

I hate that argument. So... It sucks we won't be in Russia, but the summer of 2019, in theory, could be a hell of a good time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's official, we get England on Saturday morning. PKs over Japan. Just going on highlights and stats, looks like England had the overall edge.

(Not an issue unless we go very deep, but Mali is a danger team if there ever was one. They just swarm forward with overwhelming and technical attacks. I'm too lazy to go get the real number, but I feel like they are scoring 4 or 5 goals a game.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Interesting matchup tomorrow morning on FS2
A few things
USA v. England with these teams have history. Lots of players on these teams matched up at U-15 friendlies (2-2 and 3-3 draws). Then again a 3-2 win for England a few months later when these teams moved to new U-17 cycle. And March 2016 they played to a 2-2 draw (US coming back from 2-0) at the Mondial Football de Montaigu Tournament in Le Poire Sur Vie, France.

However, US Soccer can continue to thank Dormund. Besides helping develop Pulisic...they help the US in this matchup.

US Soccer wrote:Midfielder Jadon Sancho scored three of England’s nine goals during the Group Stage, but will play no further part at the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup after club side Borussia Dortmund recalled him ahead of the Japan match. England created a number of chances in the game, but failed to score before ousting the Blue Samurai on penalty kicks.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That has to be a typo about how England beat Japan. Maybe a mistake in transmission from India.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Looks like they've hit a wall in the quarters again. England are really killing it in the youth tournaments--they are going to be absolutely insufferable by 2026.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Well, at least we lost to the eventual champs. England beat Spain 5-2 in the final.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

England's goalie spent 3 years in the Blackpool Academy