NCAA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

NCAA Basketball 2017/18

Post by A_B »

Why not start a new thread?

Put all your Pitino warm takes here.

And also, Lavar pulls Lamelo from school. Gonna homeschool him for two years before "college" which he likely won't be eligible for anyway.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball 2017/18

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Why not start a new thread?

And also, Lavar pulls Lamelo from school. Gonna homeschool him for two years before "college" which he likely won't be eligible for anyway.

What's his play there then? Europe for a year I assume?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:Why not start a new thread?

What's his play there then? Europe for a year I assume?

Article I saw said intent is still to go to UCLA. Lavar already was unhappy with the new coach (Notre Dame/Arizona hoops alum). I wonder if Lamelo's status as an amateur was at risk anyway. Could also be that Lavar was actually concerned with his son getting distracted/targeted (trouble makers, girls, teachers trying to make a point, etc). However, this feels way more Marinovich.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That whole shoe thing is gonna make eligibility hard. Because he's got it because of his role as a basketball player/public figure. Kinda like how the NCAA has been shutting down youtube accounts for players who were monetizing based on what the NCAA said was in part because of their popularity as a "student-athlete."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think Lavar pulled him because the new coach wasn't terribly interested in being the de facto assistant coach to the star player's asshole father. So, he pushed back a bit and Lavar threw a tantrum, like he always does.

Next is going to be Lavar pulling LiAngelo from UCLA because he's not going to play that much.

Then, LaMelo will probably have little choice but to try to play pro in Europe or somewhere for a year after graduation, because no college coach is going to want to put up with that bullshit for one year of a 150-pound ball hog point guard with a messiah complex.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

UNC gets 5 star Nassir Little. Helped that a few of the other schools got in a bit of trouble in the last few weeks.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote:UNC gets 5 star Nassir Little. Helped that a few of the other schools got in a bit of trouble in the last few weeks.

UNC will just make sure he gets A's in all of his classes.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm super excited about Missouri basketball this year. Goddamn they looked young on Sunday, but they also had flashes of looking really, really good. They were by far at their worst when Michael Porter tried to take the game over. That's a good sign.

And Sunday's game felt like I had traveled back in time six years. It truly felt like an NCAA tournament game or a conference tournament final vs. a simple exhibition game where teams get seven fouls.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Is there a shoplifting in China thread?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:Is there a shoplifting in China thread?

Yeah, but someone put it in last season's thread.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That makes no sense!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:That makes no sense!

It was wlu_lax.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the year a 16 seed finally beats a 1 seed. If you look at the odds and probabilities it probably should have happened once or twice by now.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Texas A&M v. WV is a top 25 matchup tomorrow. Any other good ones. Duke going Friday/Saturday against Elon and Utah Valley does not get met excited. I could see George Mason giving Louisville a hard time.

Also happy with the Terps signing day. Wiggins (4 star), Jalen Smith (5 star), and Eric Ayala (4 star) puts the terps at #6 recruiting class in the nation according to some. Missed on a MD high schooler, Devin Dotson (Kansas). However, they are still in play for 5 star center Moses Brown (Maryland, UCLA, Florida State and either Duke or Kentucky) who almost committed when he did his official visit. Also 5 star Keldon Johnson has Maryland, Kentucky, Texas and NC State (apparently Kentucky is slight favorite of Maryland).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the year a 16 seed finally beats a 1 seed. If you look at the odds and probabilities it probably should have happened once or twice by now.

I think that with the increased use of advanced metrics like Pomeroy Rankings, the committee has generally gotten better at seeding low-major teams, which makes the 16-1 upset less likely. It still could, and probably should, happen at some point but it's probably a longer shot than it's even been.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote:
brian wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the year a 16 seed finally beats a 1 seed. If you look at the odds and probabilities it probably should have happened once or twice by now.

I think that with the increased use of advanced metrics like Pomeroy Rankings, the committee has generally gotten better at seeding low-major teams, which makes the 16-1 upset less likely. It still could, and probably should, happen at some point but it's probably a longer shot than it's even been.

That's true, but this is more sorcery than science and I don't mean that in a sarcastic or snarky way. Part of my rationale is also that we haven't had a good 16 vs. 1 scare in a long time so there are some potential 1 seeds that might have their guard down a bit. Also, I think the play-in game might help rather than hinder a potentially underseeded #16 team by giving them a chance to work out some of their butterflies against a lesser opponent (I think this accounts for the fact that there are possibly more 8/9 vs. #1 upsets historically than there should have been (depending on which metrics/stats you look at).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looked up the data and 8/9 seeds beating #1 seeds aren't as common as I thought (about 13.6 percent of the time). I had thought it was closer to 20 percent. 13.6 percent seems about right for what would be about the 30th to 40th "best" team in the country beating a top four team.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Has to be a huge difference between the overall #1 seed and the #3/4 overall seeds vs 8/9 matchups. You can almost see those coming if a weak #1 seed gets a tough 8/9 matchup.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bol Bol picks Oregon over Kentucy. Yes Manute's kid.

Wapo Sports Bog wrote:“During my official visit — it was on a recent weekend — we got to go into a room someone said was known as the Phil Knight room,” Bol wrote. “It was this special room where they showcase all the new Oregon gear Nike is working on. What I saw in there blew me away. Shoes lined up on chairs. Custom Oregon colorway Jordans. Like 13 different jersey combinations. Nike stuff that hasn’t come out yet. Those Jordan 4 Oregon retros that LeBron was wearing recently — they had those in there. Rare ones. I was going crazy in there, man. For a kid obsessed with shoes, that was like heaven.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

In related kid of big men.
George Muresan, Sophmore at Georgetown, as a 2 trillion, 1 trillion, and DNP in 3 games this year.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I love this week.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kinda sad to see the Great Alaska Shootout come to an end but not sure why. Just was a tournament that always seemed to have some incredible fields when I was a kid. Would be awesome (though incredibly unlikely) to see CMU win it in its final year.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Kinda sad to see the Great Alaska Shootout come to an end but not sure why. Just was a tournament that always seemed to have some incredible fields when I was a kid. Would be awesome (though incredibly unlikely) to see CMU win it in its final year.

That and Maui were the first ones I remember, so it's probably just nostalgia.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If not for the Great Alaska Shootout, Glen Rice would have never fucked Sarah Palin. #neverforget
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I want to die
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dammit. I hate that for the kid.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Dammit. I hate that for the kid.

jinxed himself by going to a school that is so cruel when it comes to sports

in all seriousness, it's so brutal for him. there's been just one mention that he landed hard on his back at practice. other than that, silence on that front. if for a crazy reason it comes out that he got hurt in the MU-KU charity game... egads.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’ve gone to two Terps games this season. Great arena and a team that has two great freshmen this year. Bruno Fernandez and Darrell Morsell are quite fun to watch. This is a deep team that can run out a pretty good small and big lineup.

Granted, I saw them play MD-Eastern Shore and Bucknell. They trailed the Bison by 15 at half and came back to win by 2.

The last Terps game I went to, Steve Francis was the leading scorer.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote:I’ve gone to two Terps games this season. Great arena and a team that has two great freshmen this year. Bruno Fernandez and Darrell Morsell are quite fun to watch. This is a deep team that can run out a pretty good small and big lineup.

Granted, I saw them play MD-Eastern Shore and Bucknell. They trailed the Bison by 15 at half and came back to win by 2.

I can't imagine what the Arena was like at half time for the Bucknell game because at my house I was banging my head against the wall. Sure Bucknell was draining 3s, but that is how mid majors beat power conference teams. You have to know that is coming.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
bfj wrote:I’ve gone to two Terps games this season. Great arena and a team that has two great freshmen this year. Bruno Fernandez and Darrell Morsell are quite fun to watch. This is a deep team that can run out a pretty good small and big lineup.

I can't imagine what the Arena was like at half time for the Bucknell game because at my house I was banging my head against the wall. Sure Bucknell was draining 3s, but that is how mid majors beat power conference teams. You have to know that is coming.

It was quiet, but you had to figure Bucknell wasn’t going to shoot 70% from 3 point land in the second half. I think they were 1-11 in the 2nd half from there. Made for an exciting and loud crowd as they came back to win. They are offering buy 1 get 1 for most home games against weaker opponents in December. I will probably see at least one more game. My older son had a blast!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote:
A_B wrote:Dammit. I hate that for the kid.

jinxed himself by going to a school that is so cruel when it comes to sports

in all seriousness, it's so brutal for him. there's been just one mention that he landed hard on his back at practice. other than that, silence on that front. if for a crazy reason it comes out that he got hurt in the MU-KU charity game... egads.

This probably means Luka Doncic is now the heavy favorite to go #1 overall, but I don't think Porter will slide that far.

He could also end up in a really nice situation if LeBron stays in Cleveland and he falls to where their Nets pick lands, or if the Lakers pick conveys to Philly. But obviously this really sucks for Mizzou.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Every now and then, Virginia just crushes the soul out of some poor team. They did that yesterday to Vanderbilt. The final score of 68-42 was extremely kind to Vandy, as UVA really let up the last 8 minutes or so. At one point, the lead hit 38 points - and consider that margin in the context of the total number of points scored. UVA scored 43 in the first half and Vandy finished the game with 42.

Tony Bennett is still a really good coach, and despite being ignored by the human polls (the computers love UVA), Virginia is still really good.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bagley is a monster.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is my favorite game in some time.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status ... 3163779072
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

an interesting TIL from the broadcast of that game: Play continues until a team is reduced to one player. At that point, the team has to forfeit, unless the referee believes that either team can still win (for example, when the opponent is Boston College)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

How does a team with one player inbound the ball? I guess they have to try the old throw it off a guy’s back trick every time.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hey, Great Alaska Shootout champs! I’ll take it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Shirley wrote:How does a team with one player inbound the ball? I guess they have to try the old throw it off a guy’s back trick every time.

I guess there isn't much value to guarding the inbound guy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Terps v. Cuse has been a fun game to start ACC -B1G challenge