NCAA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball 2017/18

Post by Rex »

btw, love the charm of the early mid-major tournaments before the big boys start up. Wisconsin-Maryland is shaping up to be a close one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 pm btw, love the charm of the early mid-major tournaments before the big boys start up. Wisconsin-Maryland is shaping up to be a close one.
[smile]
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 pm btw, love the charm of the early mid-major tournaments before the big boys start up. Wisconsin-Maryland is shaping up to be a close one.
Heh. Quality.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is the one year an SEC fan could get away with that jape.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well, Sean Miller going full Pitino. Now that he's done that, he better not be lying.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So now that the Terps are going to the NIT (maybe) I was trying to figure out time off (long layoff here)...and stumbled across the fact that the NIT will be using different rules.

The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Those are listed in order of insanely dumb to whatever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI just went something like 3 for 20 from 3 and eked out an OT win. Robinson hit all 3 of them. They were HORRIBLE from the line.

This win also included Mo Wagner and Abdul-Rakman fouling out with 9 and 6 minutes respectively. (those are their two top scorers and leaders).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just learned the SEC Tournament is going to be in Saint Louis for some reason. How dumb. SEC trying to out-Big Ten the Big Ten.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:01 pm I just learned the SEC Tournament is going to be in Saint Louis for some reason. How dumb. SEC trying to out-Big Ten the Big Ten.

You gotta placate those Mizzou fans.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm Those are listed in order of insanely dumb to whatever.
I love the four quarters for foul purposes and hopefully speed up play
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:01 pm I just learned the SEC Tournament is going to be in Saint Louis for some reason. How dumb. SEC trying to out-Big Ten the Big Ten.
Jim Delaney is a fucking fuck.

Next year, let's have them in Denver you fucktwit. Close to Iowa, right?

Fucking moron.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia beat Louisville tonight on the craziest ending. Louisville led all night, by as much at 13 in the second half, but UVA clawed back to tie it with about two minutes left. Two critical turnovers though led to Louisville being up 4 with just about 5 seconds left. UVA pushed it up the floor and threw up a desperation three - foul! A really dumb foul with 0.9 left.

If they'd just let him shoot, worst case, they win by 1 (the clock would have expired while the ball was in the air.

So UVA hits the first two and intentionally misses the third, hoping for a miracle tip-in. Whistle. UVA in the lane too soon. Louisville's ball with 0.9 left, still up 2.

Game over, right? All they need to do is throw it in anywhere, ideally down at the other end. As soon as anyone touches it - even UVA, the game's pretty much over. But Deng Adel forgot that it was a deadball inbounds, and not after a made basket, and tried to run the baseline. Traveling call.

Now, UVA had the ball under Louisville's basket. Still down 2 with 0.9. They got it in to De'Andre Hunter who banked in a three off the glass. 5 points in the last 0.9 to win by 1.

Incredible.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm

You gotta placate those Mizzou fans.
Most Missouri fans/alums except for the ones from Saint Louis hate Saint Louis. At least in that one sense the B1G tourney in NYC makes some sense.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Jim Delaney is a fucking fuck.

Next year, let's have them in Denver you fucktwit. Close to Iowa, right?

Fucking moron.
I'd be perfectly fine with that
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, to bring you up to speed if you aren't completely up-to-date on Colorado State Rams men's basketball, Larry Eustachy resigned recently, after his latest investigation for rampant douchebaggery. Now, CSU has an interim coach and a search ongoing for a full-time replacement.

Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post has weighed in, loudly advocating that Colorado State become the first D-1 men's team to hire a woman as head coach - Becky Hammon, who was a star guard for the Rams, followed by a stellar all-star career in the WNBA, followed by her hire by Gregg Popovich to her current role as assistant coach of the San Antonio Spurs. To my knowledge, she hasn't applied for the job, but Kiszla wants the school to go after her, and I think that hiring her would be awesome.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

She's definitely qualified for the job. Paul really prepared her well.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am So, to bring you up to speed if you aren't completely up-to-date on Colorado State Rams men's basketball, Larry Eustachy resigned recently, after his latest investigation for rampant douchebaggery. Now, CSU has an interim coach and a search ongoing for a full-time replacement.

Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post has weighed in, loudly advocating that Colorado State become the first D-1 men's team to hire a woman as head coach - Becky Hammon, who was a star guard for the Rams, followed by a stellar all-star career in the NBA, followed by her hire by Paul Popovich to her current role as assistant coach of the San Antonio Spurs. To my knowledge, she hasn't applied for the job, but Kiszla wants the school to go after her, and I think that hiring her would be awesome.
Pretty impressive she played in the NBA at an All-Star level. And then good ole Paul hiring her to help the Spurs.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:49 am Pretty impressive she played in the NBA at an All-Star level. And then good ole Paul hiring her to help the Spurs.
I'm blaming auto-correct for taking out the W in WNBA.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Paul is incredibly forward thinking.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 am Paul is incredibly forward thinking.
I think she was a guard.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 pm Virginia beat Louisville tonight on the craziest ending. Louisville led all night, by as much at 13 in the second half, but UVA clawed back to tie it with about two minutes left. Two critical turnovers though led to Louisville being up 4 with just about 5 seconds left. UVA pushed it up the floor and threw up a desperation three - foul! A really dumb foul with 0.9 left.

If they'd just let him shoot, worst case, they win by 1 (the clock would have expired while the ball was in the air.

So UVA hits the first two and intentionally misses the third, hoping for a miracle tip-in. Whistle. UVA in the lane too soon. Louisville's ball with 0.9 left, still up 2.

Game over, right? All they need to do is throw it in anywhere, ideally down at the other end. As soon as anyone touches it - even UVA, the game's pretty much over. But Deng Adel forgot that it was a deadball inbounds, and not after a made basket, and tried to run the baseline. Traveling call.

Now, UVA had the ball under Louisville's basket. Still down 2 with 0.9. They got it in to De'Andre Hunter who banked in a three off the glass. 5 points in the last 0.9 to win by 1.

Incredible.
I was just coming here to see if you posted about this. Just saw the highlights on Deadspin. That shit was bonkers.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

btw, Paul Popovich was an infielder for the Cubs back in the day.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 pm Virginia beat Louisville tonight on the craziest ending. Louisville led all night, by as much at 13 in the second half, but UVA clawed back to tie it with about two minutes left. Two critical turnovers though led to Louisville being up 4 with just about 5 seconds left. UVA pushed it up the floor and threw up a desperation three - foul! A really dumb foul with 0.9 left.

Incredible.
I was just coming here to see if you posted about this. Just saw the highlights on Deadspin. That shit was bonkers.
Well I now have a hope that we will see this instead of the Miracle Minute (Duke over Maryland) when talking about epic comebacks.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 amWell I now have a hope that we will see this instead of the Miracle Minute (Duke over Maryland) when talking about epic comebacks.
I wouldn't count on it.

BTW, UVA won a game at Wake two years ago on a very similar banked three from nearly the same spot. In that one, they scored 9 points in the last 20 or so seconds to win.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:43 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 amWell I now have a hope that we will see this instead of the Miracle Minute (Duke over Maryland) when talking about epic comebacks.
I wouldn't count on it.

BTW, UVA won a game at Wake two years ago on a very similar banked three from nearly the same spot. In that one, they scored 9 points in the last 20 or so seconds to win.
They beat Wake at Louisville?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 pm Game over, right? All they need to do is throw it in anywhere, ideally down at the other end. As soon as anyone touches it - even UVA, the game's pretty much over. But Deng Adel forgot that it was a deadball inbounds, and not after a made basket, and tried to run the baseline. Traveling call.
So I wonder if the official said anything to the kid inbounding the ball. From folks I know who ref hoops I think the best practice is to remind the player in situations like this right before they hand them the ball. Also the coaches should have reminded the kid too.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

In that situation, you would be better off hitting the inbound defender in the nuts, or just giving the ball to him. Who is going to have the wherewithal to score in .9 seconds if you do that?

The play is so ridiculous that it has taken all attention away from the fact that they also fouled a 3-point shooter when they were up 4! Every coach in America yells at his players not to foul there.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am So, to bring you up to speed if you aren't completely up-to-date on Colorado State Rams men's basketball, Larry Eustachy resigned recently, after his latest investigation for rampant douchebaggery. Now, CSU has an interim coach and a search ongoing for a full-time replacement.

Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post has weighed in, loudly advocating that Colorado State become the first D-1 men's team to hire a woman as head coach - Becky Hammon, who was a star guard for the Rams, followed by a stellar all-star career in the WNBA, followed by her hire by Gregg Popovich to her current role as assistant coach of the San Antonio Spurs. To my knowledge, she hasn't applied for the job, but Kiszla wants the school to go after her, and I think that hiring her would be awesome.
Sometimes, media folks don't seem to think about how recruiting plays into college coaching.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Worse than the B1G tournament being in New York is having to listen to Michael Rapaport during what seems like every commercial break.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI got absolutely blasted in Lincoln a few weeks back, so today’s result is somewhat telling. When MI is just decent on 3s, they are a very VERY scary team.

I think they are off most non-B1G watching fans radar. They are going to be someone’s second round match-up nightmare. Tough D, extremely few TOs and at times deadly from behind the arc. Oh, and fairly deep.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm MI got absolutely blasted in Lincoln a few weeks back, so today’s result is somewhat telling. When MI is just decent on 3s, they are a very VERY scary team.

I think they are off most non-B1G watching fans radar. They are going to be someone’s second round match-up nightmare. Tough D, extremely few TOs and at times deadly from behind the arc. Oh, and fairly deep.
I mean, another win and they've got a good shot at a 3 seed. I wouldn't call that a second round match up nightmare. They'll likely be the higher seed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Sometimes, media folks don't seem to think about how recruiting plays into college coaching.
I was thinking about that, too. Meaning how much are recruits (and their parents) going to be down with the idea of going to play for a female coach. Sexism is a real thing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm MI got absolutely blasted in Lincoln a few weeks back, so today’s result is somewhat telling. When MI is just decent on 3s, they are a very VERY scary team.

I mean, another win and they've got a good shot at a 3 seed. I wouldn't call that a second round match up nightmare. They'll likely be the higher seed.
A_Bsolutely* I just think that unless you are really paying attention, this team is sneaking up on a lot of people. This is actually very similar to what happened last year, where they had the Willow Run incident, went down to DC to rip off 4 in a row and win the tournament. This after surging at the end of the regular season behind a group that seemed to finally find comfort with Beilein's system.

Kind of weird how it is playing out again.

* - T-shirts!!!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:08 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 pm Game over, right? All they need to do is throw it in anywhere, ideally down at the other end. As soon as anyone touches it - even UVA, the game's pretty much over. But Deng Adel forgot that it was a deadball inbounds, and not after a made basket, and tried to run the baseline. Traveling call.
So I wonder if the official said anything to the kid inbounding the ball. From folks I know who ref hoops I think the best practice is to remind the player in situations like this right before they hand them the ball. Also the coaches should have reminded the kid too.
I read a few game reports that said the ref did remind him. I'm pretty sure that's standard practice. At the very least, I'm pretty sure there's a hand signal they give. If it's a spot inbounds, they point down to it. If they can run the baseline, the ref waves his hand to indicate it. Even without that, there's no way a college junior playing D1 ball wouldn't know the rule. He just messed up under pressure.

And yeah, the foul when up 3 was equally stupid. I don't think he was trying to foul, but there was no reason to even challenge the shot.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I was thinking about that, too. Meaning how much are recruits (and their parents) going to be down with the idea of going to play for a female coach. Sexism is a real thing.
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of sexism as a driving factor (although I'm certain it would play a role). I lurk on a Syracuse board and one guy had been beating the drum for Matt Patricia to be the Syracuse football coach for years (it only stopped when he got the Lions' job). My instant response is that he had two years in a job where he could recruit for a lower level school and that ended in 2000. Even though he could say "RINGZ" based on his time with the Patriots, he would enter a college head coaching job with zero recruiting connections/experience.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI beats Sparty to make it to back-to-back B1G tournament finals. Gnarly D, decent 3 point shooting, above average at the stripe.

Just an incredibly difficult team to guard, as almost every player can hit outside shots and drive.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Some seven seed is in for a tough matchup!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Bwah!

I will say this, for all my kvetching about this being in NYC... MI alumni in NYC is no joke. Sounded like Crisler at times today.