NBA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA Basketball 2017/18

Post by A_B »

Portland anywhere from 3-5
Utah 3-7
Spurs 4-8
OKC 4-8
NO 4-8
Den 5-7
MIN 5-8
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That’s pretty
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Very nice tank job by the Warriors tonight. Takes the Jazz and Thunder off the list of their potential first-round opponents. I think those are probably their two least desired opponents of the group in the mix for 3-8.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This Andre Ingram story is fantastic. Guy has played 11 years in the D/G League, waiting for his chance. He played his first game, as a 32-year-old rookie, for the Lakers last night and scored 19. And this guy majored in physics in college and works on the side as a math tutor!

Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

See! Let HS kids go straight to the D league! There's a real shot!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am See! Let HS kids go straight to the D league! There's a real shot!
I'm ignorant on the subject, but is there a good reason why the NBA couldn't be more like the NHL or MLB, and draft young kids, then hold their rights for a couple years while/if they play college ball?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am See! Let HS kids go straight to the D league! There's a real shot!
I'm ignorant on the subject, but is there a good reason why the NBA couldn't be more like the NHL or MLB, and draft young kids, then hold their rights for a couple years while/if they play college ball?
The main reason seems to be that the NBA is generally better off letting the kids go and build name recognition for a year or more in the NCAA than if they just went straight into the D league. Someone (Joe K, maybe) made an excellent point that if Marvin Bagley went straight to the D league, he would have been learning how to defend NBA defenses instead of lighting up the highlight reel for 6 months and building his brand. Same for the other guys that will likely be picked high in the draft.

Basically, how many outside of the absolute stud high school baseball players/NHL players will the average fan have heard of if they go straight to the D league?

AS to the holding the rights thing, I don't have a good answer to be honest. I guess the NBA would prefer to see which ones actually pan out?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm
The main reason seems to be that the NBA is generally better off letting the kids go and build name recognition for a year or more in the NCAA than if they just went straight into the D league. Someone (Joe K, maybe) made an excellent point that if Marvin Bagley went straight to the D league, he would have been learning how to defend NBA defenses instead of lighting up the highlight reel for 6 months and building his brand. Same for the other guys that will likely be picked high in the draft.

Basically, how many outside of the absolute stud high school baseball players/NHL players will the average fan have heard of if they go straight to the D league?

AS to the holding the rights thing, I don't have a good answer to be honest. I guess the NBA would prefer to see which ones actually pan out?
I think you misunderstand my question. I'm not asking why they can't go to the pros immediately. I'm asking why they can't be drafted and remain in college, with their rights held for some determined amount of time.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I touched on that a bit with the last sentence, but I admit it's not a very good answer. It may be infrastructure, though that is becoming less of an issue. I imagine if they did what you suggest, there would be a fair amount of the guys just go ahead and go to the "minors" for a signing bonus.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

SC, that's exactly what I think they should do. They'd have to tweak some rules, but it could work. As long as a guy stays in college, he should be able to be signed to an NBA team. Hell, it worked OK for Larry Bird (not sure if he signed, but he was drafted by the Celtics before his senior year). Sure, it might upset some college coaches who worry that the players won't listen to them if they are more concerned about doing things their NBA team wants, but that's not something I'm worried about. Some coaches won't like it, but most will learn to deal. And in the grand scheme of things, it's not really that many players.

I also think guys should be able to sign agents, declare for the draft, get drafted, etc. and still play college ball, whether they sign with teams or not.

Hell, I even think guys who go pro should be able to come back and finish their eligibility later, if they didn't use their four years. I think it's fair to tie them to the last school they attended before turning pro, but why not allow 28-year-olds in college basketball, just like you get in regular college classrooms?

The NCAA needs to realize that if they don't address this stuff, college sports as a high-level option for elite athletes will go away. There's no reason why college sports need to serve as minor leagues for pro sports (they don't anywhere else in the world), and it will eventually stop if they don't do something about it.

Paying players is part of this as well, but I'd be willing to delay that for now and start with freeing up the rules that prevent guys from being pro and a college athlete at the same time. Maybe if they do that, the pay thing will work itself out. The only problem there is that the money would all be external, and again, players and agents might eventually decide that they don't need colleges at all.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

From the NBA’s perspective I think there’s some value in seeing guys play against NCAA (or G-League) competition for a year before drafting them. Although players are scouted extensively before they even go to college, there have been some guys who just haven’t been as good as advertised once they play against better competition than high school/AAU. (Because I follow Kentucky more closely than any other NCAA teams, the Harrison twins and Labissiere come to mind.) But there will always be draft misses and I don’t see any big downside to mirroring the NHL/MLB approach.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:00 pm From the NBA’s perspective I think there’s some value in seeing guys play against NCAA (or G-League) competition for a year before drafting them. Although players are scouted extensively before they even go to college, there have been some guys who just haven’t been as good as advertised once they play against better competition than high school/AAU. (Because I follow Kentucky more closely than any other NCAA teams, the Harrison twins and Labissiere come to mind.) But there will always be draft misses and I don’t see any big downside to mirroring the NHL/MLB approach.
As I understand it, the NHL lets the teams keep they player's rights until he finishes college eligibility, at which time he becomes a free agent if he hasn't signed. The player can be signed and go pro during any offseason in his college career if both the pro team and the player wanted that to occur. So, they draft potential, even if it isn't realized yet. Lots of projecting involved, especially in the lower rounds. Much different in MLB, where they only keep the rights for a year, after which the player goes back into the draft pool again. So, more important to draft players who are expected to actually sign a contract immediately. I can see the pluses and minuses of each system, as it might apply to the NBA.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So cavs decided playing pacers was fine. Ok. I’m intrigued but playoffs bring out full lebron

(Also philly won so it didn’t matter don’t mean to diminish them.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 pm So cavs decided playing pacers was fine. Ok. I’m intrigued but playoffs bring out full lebron

(Also philly won so it didn’t matter don’t mean to diminish them.
The Sixers blitzed the Bucks right from the start tonight, which may have led the Cavs to give the starters a breather.

Also, Fultz had a triple double. What a fitting end to an incredible regular season. I doubt Embiid is back before Game 3, but other than his injury I love the draw they have now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I love shit like that...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Russians?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I had an almost irrational hatred of Colangelo when he was in Toronto. Struck me as being a pompous empty suit.

If this story is true, it is beyond bananas.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well shit. My stupid joke aside that is nucking futs. Holy shit he torpedoed getting lebron with that Shit. It’s cleveland or LA. (I’m not down with the Houston noise)

ETA: this is just how bad old people are at social media, right? Thought he was being sly and just tripped over okafors dick.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Using burner accounts to rip players and coaches? Durant to the Sixers confirmed!!!

Joke aside, ownership will fire him by the end of the week. With the amount of money they have invested in Embiid, the Tweets about him alone are a fireable offense. And man, does Adam Silver have egg on his face for forcing out Hinkie for that buffoon.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Not good for Colangelo. I doubt he’ll still have a job by the time the Draft rolls around. Hinkie getting rehired, signing LeBron and winning titles there would be the best possible outcome here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I looooooove the half-serious speculation Hinkie could be behind the original investigation.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't follow the NBA much, but this story is AMAZING!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Looks like it may be his wife that had the accounts...or that he used her number.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:48 am Looks like it may be his wife that had the accounts...or that he used her number.
Even if Colangelo did not know about the accounts, or his wife’s posts, which seems very unlikely, they still need to fire him. Players will understandably assume she was echoing his opinions and you just can’t have it out there that the team’s GM has bashed its superstar player, top prospect and the best friend of its biggest free agency target. The stuff with Okafor’s medical issues will also make players throughout the league distrustful.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 am
A_B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:48 am Looks like it may be his wife that had the accounts...or that he used her number.
Even if Colangelo did not know about the accounts, or his wife’s posts, which seems very unlikely, they still need to fire him. Players will understandably assume she was echoing his opinions and you just can’t have it out there that the team’s GM has bashed its superstar player, top prospect and the best friend of its biggest free agency target. The stuff with Okafor’s medical issues will also make players throughout the league distrustful.
Agree completely.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Bring back Hinkie! (Actually, hire David Griffin and hope he has sway with LeBron.)

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

76ers fans: "Thanks, Bill Simmons."

Also 76ers fans:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I enjoyed the report that Jerry Colangelo was basically threatening to blackmail the Sixers if they fired his son.
More than one person who spoke to PhillyVoice on the condition of anonymity suggested Jerry Colangelo tried to intervene on Bryan's behalf, threatening to interfere with club relationships around the league. The Sixers, aware of Colangelo's influence around the league and his connection to numerous agents and power brokers after decades of work in basketball, opted to move forward carefully in what team sources described as a chaotic, uncertain environment.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't see how older Colangelo can continue there either, whether or not that threat is true.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Since the Finals are basically over, stories like this are happening:

LeBron’s Terrifyingly Plausible Path to Boston

It's fun to think about, but c'mon.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Assuming LeBron leaves, I think Houston has to be the choice. It makes by far the most sense from a basketball perspective as they are the only team that has given the Durant Warriors any challenge whatsoever. He’s also best friends with Chris Paul so there’s an obvious appeal on a personal level. Finally, from a business standpoint, it could be a coup for Nike. LeBron going to Houston could have a similar impact on diluting the star power of Adidas’ top guy (Harden) as Durant going to the Warriors did on weakening Under Armour’s top guy (Curry).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

LeBron going to Boston might be worth it if only for the 100x increase in the number of hot takes that Bird was actually better than LeBron.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pmthe only team that has given the Durant Warriors any challenge whatsoever.
Houston / GSW is a bigger sample size for sure, but the Celtics and Warriors split the season series with a point differential of one point.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pmthe only team that has given the Durant Warriors any challenge whatsoever.
Houston / GSW is a bigger sample size for sure, but the Celtics and Warriors split the season series with a point differential of one point.
I'd also put a significant weight on the fact that, at some point, the Warriors cared about winning because they played the Rockets in the postseason. Obviously, haven't seen them play Boston in postseason, but no one takes nights off like the Warriors.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm
I'd also put a significant weight on the fact that, at some point, the Warriors cared about winning because they played the Rockets in the postseason. Obviously, haven't seen them play Boston in postseason, but no one takes nights off like the Warriors.
Boston has played them tough the last few years, so while I agree the Warriors do like to do a little sleepwalking, I'd argue they probably don't do this everytime they the Celtics. The Kings or Nets sure...
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Boston has played them tough the last few years, so while I agree the Warriors do like to do a little sleepwalking, I'd argue they probably don't do this everytime they the Celtics. The Kings or Nets sure...
But but... the regular season!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, I would hope.