NBA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: NBA Basketball 2017/18

Post by Rex »

Kyrie Irving will have fresh legs as he comes off of surgery rehab, and has something to prove. I bet he and LeBron together would present a formidable challenge to the Warriors.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm Kyrie Irving will have fresh legs as he comes off of surgery rehab, and has something to prove. I bet he and LeBron together would present a formidable challenge to the Warriors.
Kyrie saw that movie once before and didn't like it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pmthe only team that has given the Durant Warriors any challenge whatsoever.
Houston / GSW is a bigger sample size for sure, but the Celtics and Warriors split the season series with a point differential of one point.
I'd also put a significant weight on the fact that, at some point, the Warriors cared about winning because they played the Rockets in the postseason. Obviously, haven't seen them play Boston in postseason, but no one takes nights off like the Warriors.

do you think houston loses both game 6 & 7 with chris paul?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pmthe only team that has given the Durant Warriors any challenge whatsoever.
Houston / GSW is a bigger sample size for sure, but the Celtics and Warriors split the season series with a point differential of one point.
I'd also put a significant weight on the fact that, at some point, the Warriors cared about winning because they played the Rockets in the postseason. Obviously, haven't seen them play Boston in postseason, but no one takes nights off like the Warriors.

The world's worst answer is the truthful one: I don't know. I do know this, though: Golden State would have certainly played hard in both elimination games and had already shown they could beat Houston while missing only Iguodala.

Houston had won three of the five games in the series to that point, but two of the wins were by a total of seven points. Despite being down 3-2, Golden State had still outscored the Rockets by 25 points... but won one game by 41. Everything's a small sample size in head-to-head.

I have no axe to grind with the Rockets. I want D'Antoni to get a ring because I don't think he will make the Basketball Hall of Fame without one, even as a contributor, even though a large portion of how the game is played now is due to the style of game his Suns played.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

The world's worst answer is the truthful one: I don't know. I do know this, though: Golden State would have certainly played hard in both elimination games and had already shown they could beat Houston while missing only Iguodala.

Houston had won three of the five games in the series to that point, but two of the wins were by a total of seven points. Despite being down 3-2, Golden State had still outscored the Rockets by 25 points... but won one game by 41. Everything's a small sample size in head-to-head.

I have no axe to grind with the Rockets. I want D'Antoni to get a ring because I don't think he will make the Basketball Hall of Fame without one, even as a contributor, even though a large portion of how the game is played now is due to the style of game his Suns played.
i just hate the "turn it on" or they cared arguement because that means either they didnt care for three of the first five or they did and still couldnt get it done. it doesnt matter, apparently ariza is leaving to go to golden state and they also apparently want anthony davis? the nba doesnt want a houston finals unless we somehow get lebron so what does it matter. just give durant five more rings and call me in 2023
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 amdo you think houston loses both game 6 & 7 with chris paul?

i just hate the "turn it on" or they cared arguement because that means either they didnt care for three of the first five or they did and still couldnt get it done. it doesnt matter, apparently ariza is leaving to go to golden state and they also apparently want anthony davis? the nba doesnt want a houston finals unless we somehow get lebron so what does it matter. just give durant five more rings and call me in 2023
Well, I'll also point out that Houston had problems in that they always had at least one player on the floor who was not a serious offensive threat and the Warriors could often adjust their lineup to limit Capela's usefulness/encourage D'Antoni to remove him. P.J. Tucker played over his head on offense (48% on threes), but Ariza, Green, and Mbah a Moute (who played so sparingly because he is only a defensive player) are guys opposing coaches want to take threes. I love how D'Antoni empowers his players, but when Gerald Green is throwing up 28-foot threes above the wing as soon as he touches the ball and all four of those players could be run off corner threes, giving them the role of ball handler and playmaker, it gives me pause. You can only survive so many mistakes against Golden State. Turnovers and bad shots by players doing things outside their preferred skill set make the Warriors flourish.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 amdo you think houston loses both game 6 & 7 with chris paul?

Well, I'll also point out that Houston had problems in that they always had at least one player on the floor who was not a serious offensive threat and the Warriors could often adjust their lineup to limit Capela's usefulness/encourage D'Antoni to remove him. P.J. Tucker played over his head on offense (48% on threes), but Ariza, Green, and Mbah a Moute (who played so sparingly because he is only a defensive player) are guys opposing coaches want to take threes. I love how D'Antoni empowers his players, but when Gerald Green is throwing up 28-foot threes above the wing as soon as he touches the ball and all four of those players could be run off corner threes, giving them the role of ball handler and playmaker, it gives me pause. You can only survive so many mistakes against Golden State. Turnovers and bad shots by players doing things outside their preferred skill set make the Warriors flourish.
i will listen and discuss any of those points except for gerald green. for as much as he loves houston and plays his heart out every minute he can shoot thirty bad threes a game and i wont care. realistically ariza is gone, joe johnson is gone, i pray to all dietys ryan anderson somehow gets gone, but if we kept harden paul capella gordon and gerald green id be happy
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m with DSafe on this one. I think the Warriors clearly could have won Games 6 and 7 even if Paul were healthy. But at the same time, their late game offensive execution was terrible in Games 4 and 5, and gave me flashbacks to Game 7 of the 2016 Finals, when they went ice cold late. Might Paul’s presence have been enough to make at least one of those games go down to the wire and put some pressure on? Of course. But part of what’s so maddening about Durant joining the Warriors is that they have such a massive margin for error that they don’t even have to play high pressure situations anymore. It would’ve been very interesting to see them in a tight fourth quarter, while facing elimination, but we haven’t seen that yet and may not for years to come.