NBA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA Basketball 2017/18

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am
A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am But, but...he pushed off. Significantly. Not a true ankle breaker.
I can’t tell if you’re just trolling Giff or if this is another example of people going to great lengths to try to minimize Harden’s greatness. That was a dirty crossover, and Johnson didn’t lose his balance because of whatever light contact there was with Harden’s forearm. I’m curious about this year’s MVP vote totals because if traditional factors are considered, it should be unanimous. Harden is going to finish first in scoring and second in assists as the lone All-Star on a 65+ win team.

Serious. I think the stare down and draining the 3 was undeniably awesome, but I think the push had more to do with him falling than the crossover.

I didn't really go to great lengths; it was just a post in a forum I frequent. And I think he's been tremendous this season.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For what its worth, the dude had the perfect reaction once it happened. Didn't whine to the refs or scramble back to his feet like a doofus to get back in the play, just kinda took his time and accepted what happened.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am
Joe K wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am
A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am But, but...he pushed off. Significantly. Not a true ankle breaker.
I can’t tell if you’re just trolling Giff or if this is another example of people going to great lengths to try to minimize Harden’s greatness. That was a dirty crossover, and Johnson didn’t lose his balance because of whatever light contact there was with Harden’s forearm. I’m curious about this year’s MVP vote totals because if traditional factors are considered, it should be unanimous. Harden is going to finish first in scoring and second in assists as the lone All-Star on a 65+ win team.

Serious. I think the stare down and draining the 3 was undeniably awesome, but I think the push had more to do with him falling than the crossover.

I didn't really go to great lengths; it was just a post in a forum I frequent. And I think he's been tremendous this season.
I wasn’t referring to you specifically with the “great lengths” as much as the general fact that people still regularly harp on Harden’s defense when he’s been putting up historically incredible offensive production for years now. What he’s done the last two seasons with MDA is miles beyond Nash’s MVP seasons.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, you kinda did by saying "another example" but OK.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Make him back down, AB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

He may have pushed off but not significantly. Harden's right arm stays bent and does not extend (i slowed this to 1/4 speed on youtube to really look). I actually think it may be Harden driving hard to the left and stopping with a tiny nudge that caused Wesley to keep going. The footwork by Wesley let him down.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

OHHHHH...I see now what the issue here is. You guys must be watching a different clip.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fuck Jordan Clarkson.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I am very intrigued by all the mutual flirting going on between LeBron and the Sixers’ stars. I know it could just be because Simmons uses Rich Paul as his agent, but that would be an interesting destination for LeBron if he wants to beat the Warriors again.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I knew westbrook was a gunner, but....

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Finals preview in Toronto tonight.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am Finals preview in Toronto tonight.
defense let them down, derozean went off crazy strong, toronto shot the lights out, and Houston still came all the way back from down double digits on the road and almost pulled out a win. Im more excited and encouraged about this rockets team than any other in my adult lifetime. This team is fun to watch and insanely talented. Eric fucking Gordon comes off the bench...he would be starting for maybe 20 other teams. Apart from having to watch the giant albatross that is Ryan Anderson this team is the best unit in the NBA. no wasted space on the roster, Luc Mbah A Moute bringing defensive fire....I love this team
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:56 am
defense let them down, derozean went off crazy strong, toronto shot the lights out, and Houston still came all the way back from down double digits on the road and almost pulled out a win. Im more excited and encouraged about this rockets team than any other in my adult lifetime. This team is fun to watch and insanely talented. Eric fucking Gordon comes off the bench...he would be starting for maybe 20 other teams. Apart from having to watch the giant albatross that is Ryan Anderson this team is the best unit in the NBA. no wasted space on the roster, Luc Mbah A Moute bringing defensive fire....I love this team
There must be some awesome coaching going on, because other than Harden and Paul, that entire roster seems to consist of retreads - guys who have bounced around the league and have been on 4 or 5 teams.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 am
There must be some awesome coaching going on, because other than Harden and Paul, that entire roster seems to consist of retreads - guys who have bounced around the league and have been on 4 or 5 teams.
its kind of scary...remember those dantoni suns teams that would win 60 & shit the bed in the playoffs? they scored a lot too. what if he cant get it done
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

TT2.0 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 am
its kind of scary...remember those dantoni suns teams that would win 60 & shit the bed in the playoffs? they scored a lot too. what if he cant get it done
The notion the MDA Suns teams flamed out in the postseason is overblown. The 2005 team lost to a very strong Spurs team (after Joe Johnson got hurt), Amare was hurt in 2006 and they still made the West Finals playing Boris Diaw at Center, and the 2007 team could have possibly beaten the Spurs if not for the Game 5 suspensions that resulted from the Suns players coming off the bench in response to the Spurs' chippy play. With better injury and suspension luck, those teams could have easily won a title.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

don't forget Clint Capela
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 pm
I also would hardly call Anderson a “giant albatross” considering the desirability of true stretch-4s in today’s NBA. Having at least 4/5 guys on the court be 3-point threats is the goal for modern offenses and he definitely facilitates that for Houston.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:28 pm
I also would hardly call Anderson a “giant albatross” considering the desirability of true stretch-4s in today’s NBA. Having at least 4/5 guys on the court be 3-point threats is the goal for modern offenses and he definitely facilitates that for Houston.
counting Joe Johnson, they have eight players averaging 35% or better on threes while shooting three or more per game

and the best shooter in that group? Ryan Anderson
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oklahoma is going to get housed in their first game even if it is a 12/12 game. Book it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah but the Lakers are a good 12 seed, man.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Villanova gets a bye into the Sweet 16.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Weird. I think the Atlanta Hawks are better than them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can do this all night.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Joe K wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:28 pm
let me rephrase. he looks and runs like a giant ugly gawking bird to me and I hate watching him play ball because it looks off to me. I didnt mean he was a bad player or sholter, just that I hate his face
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe the Warriors are going to be vulnerable. Klay Thompson has a fractured thumb, and like Steph Curry and Draymond Green and David West, will be out for tonight's game.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shooting hand or no?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm Shooting hand or no?
yes
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hmm. I was on ringer today and missed that. Well. Thumb is potentially only marginally important depending on stroke.

ETA: of course catching He ball would be thumb dependent
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Unsubstantiated rumors that Kyrie's done for the season
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am Unsubstantiated rumors that Kyrie's done for the season
Oh man. That would be a killer. It's his bad knee that's been acting up, though.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am Unsubstantiated rumors that Kyrie's done for the season
This definitely adds some more credibility to the rumor that he would have elected for knee surgery if the Cavs didn’t trade him. Not the worst idea for the C’s to shut him down. It would obviously suck to miss out on a reasonable shot to win the East, but they should really be primed for contention next year if they have a healthy Hayward and Irving. If Irving is significantly hobbled it’s hard to imagine them making a serious run this year, especially with Toronto playing so well and Houston and (healthy) Golden State being juggernauts.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You don't need to start a sympathy thread for me I swear, but here's a partial list of everyone who didn't play in their team's most recent game:

Kyrie Irving
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Gordon Hayward
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara
Charlie McAvoy
David Backes
Rick Nash
Julian Edelman
Donta Hightower
Marcus Cannon
Martellus Bennett
99% of Malcolm Butler

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 am You don't need to start a sympathy thread for me I swear, but here's a partial list of everyone who didn't play in their team's most recent game:

Kyrie Irving
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Gordon Hayward
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara
Charlie McAvoy
David Backes
Rick Nash
Julian Edelman
Donta Hightower
Marcus Cannon
Martellus Bennett
99% of Malcolm Butler
Rest assured that everyone feels sorry for Boston sports fans. Really. Well, sorta. Well, ok. I was just kidding...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 am You don't need to start a sympathy thread for me I swear, but here's a partial list of everyone who didn't play in their team's most recent game:

... ...
... ...
... ...
... Ha...
... ...
... ...ha...
...ha... ...
... ...
... ...h
...a... ...
... H...
...a... ...
... ...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What't the deal with Nash? Hopefully not a concussion, he has a history and he seems to be a guy who will come back too early and then just float around the outside versus getting back to 100%.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Zeke Upshaw, the G League player in Grand Rapids who collapsed during a game Saturday, has died.

Adding story.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Awful. I watched the clip in there. You don't see him fall, but he's just lying face-down on the court, motionless. I don't think I've ever seen that. From all appearances, it looks like he was already dead. Man.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Reggie Lewis?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:19 pm Reggie Lewis?
Was that on camera?
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:00 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:19 pm Reggie Lewis?
Was that on camera?
Collapsed during a playoff game against Charlotte, but the one where he died was at practice later that summer