NBA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Basketball 2017/18

Post by Joe K »

Embiid suffering a completely fluky face injury is a total kick in the nuts for this diehard* Sixers fan because I was just starting to talk myself into them hosting Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals. (They still could get the 3-seed and things were starting to get very scary for the rest of the East when they blew out Minnesota and Denver in consecutive games.)

* (Since February 2017)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m very interested to see how teams play Simmons in playoffs. Less so now because their whole dynamic will be different.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 pm I’m very interested to see how teams play Simmons in playoffs. Less so now because their whole dynamic will be different.
It’s still *possible*, albeit improbable, that Embiid can return at or near the start of the playoffs. But it’s more likely that they’d have to win the first round without him, which is a tall task. Simmons is a fascinating player because he can’t shoot but masks that with great shot selection and really good rebounding, passing and defense. And any lineup with Simmons, Covington, Saric and Embiid is going to be bigger and more athletic than whoever they play. It’ll be really interesting next year with Fultz in the mix full-time. That dude is obviously rusty now but also clearly athletic as fuck. He had an incredible block on Trey Burke the other night where he got way above the rim.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

To expand on my point about Fultz, like most people I didn’t watch Washington play last year so I didn’t realize just how explosive an athlete he is. He’s not quite on the Westbrook or Wall level, but he’s definitely more athletic than Lonzo and most other PGs. Here are two examples from the last week:

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guess I'll find out first hand come playoffs but does dude still have yips?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 pm Guess I'll find out first hand come playoffs but does dude still have yips?
Doesn’t seem like it. I don’t think he’s attempted any 3s yet but he’s 3/4 from the line and has made a number of contested mid-range jumpers.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Kyrie out for year.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Tomorrow night’s Cavs at Sixers (both 48-30) is now the most important regular season game in that building’s history (since 1996-97).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm Tomorrow night’s Cavs at Sixers (both 48-30) is now the most important regular season game in that building’s history (since 1996-97).
For all the shit they got during The Process, I think this Sixers season is somehow flying under the radar. If Embiid makes a speedy recovery from his surgery, they have a non-zero chance of going to the Finals *this year.* (I still think Cleveland is the clear favorite but the Sixers have been playing insanely well since January.) The fact that they’ve gone from a 10-72 team to a 50-win team in just two seasons is remarkable.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

For the record, I gave them shit for The Process too. It was deplorable, and I am repulsed that they did it. I’m not convinced that this was the best route to get to where they are.

But if we can be happy for Astros fans, then maybe I’ll soften my stance.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The funny thing is, they completely fucked up atleast two of the picks and it still worked because its such a clear path to contention.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm For the record, I gave them shit for The Process too. It was deplorable, and I am repulsed that they did it. I’m not convinced that this was the best route to get to where they are.

It was absolutely the best way to get where they are now. Look at how long less “deplorable” teams like Sacramento, Orlando, Phoenix, New York, Detroit, Charlotte and the Lakers have been stuck in the wilderness.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pmKyrie out for year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm For the record, I gave them shit for The Process too. It was deplorable, and I am repulsed that they did it. I’m not convinced that this was the best route to get to where they are.

It was absolutely the best way to get where they are now. Look at how long less “deplorable” teams like Sacramento, Orlando, Phoenix, New York, Detroit, Charlotte and the Lakers have been stuck in the wilderness.
It is the only way you can do it with the way the NBA is currently structured. It also takes someone at GM who knows what he is doing. And Hinkie knew exactly what he was doing
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Very good at sucking and very not so good at drafting.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 pm Very good at sucking and very not so good at drafting.
Made some excellent trades and unheralded free agent signings too. Sold high on Carter-Williams when he was the reigning ROY, got a steal in the Saric trade, got a first rounder from the Kings just so they could dump Stauskas, and got Covington for absolutely nothing. And while Okafor is a huge bust, most thought he wouldn’t even fall to #3 overall. I still think Noel could be a useful, Clint Capela-like player on the right team. He just became expendable once the Sixers realized how great Embiid is.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you ever imagine the team with Porzingis?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm Do you ever imagine the team with Porzingis?
Not that this justifies the Okafor pick but you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who was saying at the time that Porzingis was a safer pick than Okafor. In fact, many media members killed the Knicks for taking Porzingis instead of Mudiay or Winslow (LOL). There were also reports that Porzingis’ agents were doing everything in their power to scare off Philly prior to that draft, including refusing any workouts. And if I had to pick between Porzingis and Embiid for a starting center, I’m taking Embiid.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, if we’re playing if the what if game, imagine if Hinkie was scared off by Embiid’s injury and took a “safe” pick like Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum or Marcus Smart — the three guys picked immediately after Embiid.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eh, I think you can make a pretty compelling case that Hinkie just autodrafted. Here's Ford's board a week before the draft: http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2014/insid ... ects-tiers

Okafor was the same, but what makes that one extra dumb is in his goodbye novel he talks about how he knew the NBA was going to a running, 3 point style. The tank was smart, accumulating assets was smart, but I think there's a little too much credit given for compiling a team that would have been compiled anyway if you just took the equivalent of CSS's list.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Looking like Tyronn Lue is the problem.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm Looking like Tyronn Lue is the problem.
LeBron is probably going to steal this game late, because that's what he does, but I think Lue is not a good coach. The Cavs have been consistently bad defensively under Lue and he never seems to figure out his rotations. Lue announcing that Jeff Green will start the rest of the way is a puzzling move, when the Nance and Love front-court combo has been dominant for the Cavs.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, I'm thisclose to starting a standalone Ben Simmons thread that no one will read. I feel like the Simmons hype train slowed down with LSU's disappointing year followed by the foot injury. But my god has he had a great rookie year. The all-around stats are obviously great but his impact on winning is even more impressive. Even LeBron had trouble translating his talent into wins doting his first two seasons but Simmons has had an incredible impact on the Sixers becoming a legit playoff threat.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm Also, I'm thisclose to starting a standalone Ben Simmons thread that no one will read. I feel like the Simmons hype train slowed down with LSU's disappointing year followed by the foot injury. But my god has he had a great rookie year. The all-around stats are obviously great but his impact on winning is even more impressive. Even LeBron had trouble translating his talent into wins doting his first two seasons but Simmons has had an incredible impact on the Sixers becoming a legit playoff threat.
this game has been so fun
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Cmon. Close this one out. I need to raise the cat.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Covington fucking sucks.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

RAISE THE CAT!!!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm Also, I'm thisclose to starting a standalone Ben Simmons thread that no one will read. I feel like the Simmons hype train slowed down with LSU's disappointing year followed by the foot injury. But my god has he had a great rookie year. The all-around stats are obviously great but his impact on winning is even more impressive. Even LeBron had trouble translating his talent into wins doting his first two seasons but Simmons has had an incredible impact on the Sixers becoming a legit playoff threat.
Fun game for sure. Simmons will be unstoppable if he could develop an 18 foot jump shot. Not even a three. Just stretch it.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Fun game for sure. Simmons will be unstoppable if he could develop an 18 foot jump shot. Not even a three. Just stretch it.
Simmons is already a star even without a jump shot. Give him a jumper and we’re talking top-10 player of all-time type upside.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:46 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Simmons is already a star even without a jump shot. Give him a jumper and we’re talking top-10 player of all-time type upside.
True. Unless people just start hacking the shit out of him which I think will be a playoff ploy.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I would read a Ben Simmons thread.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 am I would read a Ben Simmons thread.
This is quite impressive:

I really thought that Embiid’s face injury would kill their chances at a #3 seed and/or a deep playoff run. And it still may. Philly likely needs to win their last 3 to hold on to the #3 seed and even if Embiid only misses 1 or 2 playoff games, that could cost them their first-round series. But the way Simmons has stepped up in Embiid’s absence has really been something. And really that’s been a continuation of season-long improvement. Early on, they consistently struggled with Embiid off the court, even if Simmons played with other starters. But that’s really turned around the last few months, which has taken the team to another level. The Sixers are now 34-11(!) since late December and I believe they have a top-3 point differential and net efficiency over that time for the entire NBA. That’s a big enough sample size that they have to be considered contenders in the East—perhaps even #2 behind the Cavs.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm sure he'll get better but it took Jason Kidd about 15 years to find a jumper. I'm just a sixer hater right now though. Celtics sixers will play a lot of good games over the next few seasons if embiid stays healthy. Maybe even this year? Cs would have to turn that into a street fight which would bode well for a future rivelry.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I remember another over-sized guard who stepped up when his center got hurt...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Magic won an NCAA title so I'll wait and see.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I didn't get to see much of Magic before his HIV diagnosis, but I do think Simmons is the closest thing to LeBron to have entered the league since. LeBron is a much better shooter than Simmons is now, but he also didn't crack 35% for his 3PT% until his second season in Miami. (Simmons' TS% this season is actually pretty close to where LeBron's was in his early-20s.) And Simmons is averaging more combined rebounds and assists this year than LeBron did in any of his seasons before 2016-17. One really smart thing the Sixers coaches have done, which Cleveland and Miami never did with LeBron, is just making Simmons the starting PG, rather than labeling him a SF and starting someone else at PG. That allows the Sixers to have a big size advantage over their opponents. Other than JJ Redick, everyone in their starting five is at least 6'9".
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I saw Magic from his State days the through his pre-HIV prime. I’ve never been tempted to think someone could compare to him at PG until now.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Play-in game in the west between T-wolves and Nuggets. Pretty crazy that it worked out that way.

And it looks like the 3-8 seeds are still somewhat fluid in the west.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Very fun. And aside from Houston and a half-healthy Golden State, I wouldn't consider any first round matchup a sure thing at this point.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 am Very fun. And aside from Houston and a half-healthy Golden State, I wouldn't consider any first round matchup a sure thing at this point.
Even half-heathy Golden State can’t love some of its potential first-round matchups. Assuming Curry will miss the entire first round, which Kerr had previously stated, a matchup with Minnesota or OKC could be tricky.