The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm I thought this was fake. It's not fake.
Of all the criticism and hatred thrown his way, this will be the thing that stings him the most.
Yep. I was just listening to Pod Save America, and they had Chrissy Teigen on. After numerous tweets savaging Trump, the Tweet that got her blocked was, "LOL, nobody like you." That's what did it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That looks EXTREMELY fake at the very end.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So interesting theory I saw forwarded in a discussion about the meddling Russian kids.

Hackers didn't want to actually change votes, rather alter/destroy registrations. Hillary wins, Trump calls for recount/inquiry, Russians destroy registration records and votes are cast for Democrats that far outnumber registrations.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26 pm
Ladies and gentlemen - this is what's happened to America! An entire New Yorker piece could be written on that 90 second clip.

Regarding the hair video - I saw it on the Guardian, so I'll buy its veracity.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I was sold on this article in its second paragraph:
The real problem is that rural Americans don’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because they don’t want to admit it is in large part because of the choices they’ve made and the horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe.
And, frankly, people don't have to be Christian to have the rest of the characteristics, but the community (and their news source of choice) rubs off on them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was outstanding.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I grew up thinking that Deliverance was pretty much a documentary.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm Trump's Dream Team...

The story about Porter is disturbing on so many levels. That the WH knew that Porter smacked around both of his wives, and did nothing about it horrifying.

And reading the stuff about how both women went to the Mormon leadership, and were told "This could hurt his career" is maddening.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watch the dildo answer the (awesome) follow-up question.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Textbook "How to deal with the media 101."

Control your narrative.

When I took a 3 day course on nuclear mishaps and the ensuing, necessary circus in how to get the affected area back to normal (called a National Defense Area), our instructor, a retired public affairs guy and eccentric, picked people in the class to interview. He wanted to see how one responds, verbally and non verbally, to the wildest questions being asked of you during a hectic time.

Now note, a nuclear mishap isn't Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It's anything from a semi truck crashing to maybe a plane crashing that was carrying nuclear material. Whatever goes outside the norm when transporting nuclear material that requires agencies to help, as an example. The greatest worry are alpha particles spreading, but your clothes stops that. You're nowhere near trouble as a regular person walking around away from the scene.

However, he'd test you in front of the class and would record and playback your answer.

You'd get questions like "Hello sir, I'm Joe Blow from The World National News and I overheard a pilot at the bar last night saying that they've set up an NDA because of all the chaos and destruction. Does NDA mean "nuclear death area" and how greatly are we screwed that this has happened?" It was said with a fair amount of flair.

Your job was to answer as Pence did in that video. Ignore the bait, control the narrative, and be calm. You do that and you disarm your interviewer.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

As an educated, liberal-ish coastal elite, that was my entire Shreveport experience in an article. Both on duty and off.

From going on a lunch date with a black girl friend of mine just after church got out and being stared at like I was a traitor to their culture, to going to a Christmas play that was financed by the local famous family (the Durons) where they made fun of cajuns and celebrated their wealth and whiteness, to going to work with people from different parts of rural America and just hearing them cry and whine about "lib'rul politicians hating the military" and so on, I'm getting flashbacks.

Great article.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 pm Textbook "How to deal with the media 101."

Control your narrative.

When I took a 3 day course on nuclear mishaps and the ensuing, necessary circus in how to get the affected area back to normal (called a National Defense Area), our instructor, a retired public affairs guy and eccentric, picked people in the class to interview. He wanted to see how one responds, verbally and non verbally, to the wildest questions being asked of you during a hectic time.

Now note, a nuclear mishap isn't Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It's anything from a semi truck crashing to maybe a plane crashing that was carrying nuclear material. Whatever goes outside the norm when transporting nuclear material that requires agencies to help, as an example. The greatest worry are alpha particles spreading, but your clothes stops that. You're nowhere near trouble as a regular person walking around away from the scene.

However, he'd test you in front of the class and would record and playback your answer.

You'd get questions like "Hello sir, I'm Joe Blow from The World National News and I overheard a pilot at the bar last night saying that they've set up an NDA because of all the chaos and destruction. Does NDA mean "nuclear death area" and how greatly are we screwed that this has happened?" It was said with a fair amount of flair.

Your job was to answer as Pence did in that video. Ignore the bait, control the narrative, and be calm. You do that and you disarm your interviewer.
As slimy as it is, Pence handled that beautifully. It helps to be a sociopath. He said absolutely nothing, gave no visual cues that gave away anything, and he said enough to get the line of questioning stopped. Perfect.

What Pence probably wanted to say is, "it's called plausible deniability. When this shitshow of an Administration goes down in flames, I don't want to know anything that is happening. That way, I become President instead of an inmate."
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Diplomacy As Practiced by 9 Year Olds

Pence refuses to stand for Korean team's stadium entrance or shake hands with North Korea's representatives.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 pm Diplomacy As Practiced by 9 Year Olds

Pence refuses to stand for Korean team's stadium entrance or shake hands with North Korea's representatives.
I thought refusing to stand for a patriotic display during a sporting event was unacceptable! It's almost like the opposition to Kaepernick and Co. had nothing at all to do with their methods and was all about their support for disempowered minorities.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 pm Diplomacy As Practiced by 9 Year Olds

I thought refusing to stand for a patriotic display during a sporting event was unacceptable! It's almost like the opposition to Kaepernick and Co. had nothing at all to do with their methods and was all about their support for disempowered minorities.
South Korea is a pretty strong and important ally. How dare this piece of shit not stand for THEIR athletes at an event of huge significance for the South Koreans.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why are those people even at the Olympics? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing they are supposed to be against?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm Why are those people even at the Olympics? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing they are supposed to be against?
Like he and his wife were flown halfway around the world to make a point by sitting there like an angry teenager.

I mean, he did it earlier this year at a Colts game.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm
Rex wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm Why are those people even at the Olympics? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing they are supposed to be against?
Like he and his wife were flown halfway around the world to make a point by sitting there like an angry teenager.

I mean, he did it earlier this year at a Colts game.
Add in the fact of bringing the dead kid's dad.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So now this cunt is tweeting about "mere allegations" and "due process". I don't know if I'm more angry that he thinks news of a battered woman is time to remind people that a tiny percentage of allegations are false (which is minimal compared the number of real incidents that go unreported), or that this cunt still holds that the Central Park Five assaulted that woman even after DNA evidence exonerated them.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hmmmm, who is that nominated as Head of the Office of National Drug control Poiicy a Congressman who (from the CBC):
along with the major drug distributors in the U.S., prevailed upon the DEA and the Justice Department to agree to an industry-friendly law that undermined efforts to restrict the flow of pain pills that have led to tens of thousands of deaths.
?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There is a maddening story I just listened to on a podcast called Reveal on this opioid stuff. Basically, the guy that was shutting down all of the flooding of pills into certain areas at DoJ was told to chill out. He doubled down, he got shit-canned. And this happened in Obama's DoJ, by the way.

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/too-many-pills/
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah 60 MInutes did two stories on that. Maddening.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm Yeah 60 MInutes did two stories on that. Maddening.
If I'm remembering, I think it was a collaboration with WaPo, 60 mins and the group that puts out the podcast.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Hmmmm, who is that nominated as Head of the Office of National Drug control Poiicy a Congressman who (from the CBC):
along with the major drug distributors in the U.S., prevailed upon the DEA and the Justice Department to agree to an industry-friendly law that undermined efforts to restrict the flow of pain pills that have led to tens of thousands of deaths.
?

And thanks to drug companies flooding the markets with pills, he didn't need to resort to heroin and die in vein.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This opioid stuff just guts me. My younger brother died six years ago, not least of which because of his abuse of Oxycontin.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Many years ago when I was in private practice (Internam Medicine) drug reps came around pushing Fentanyl patches for chronic back pain. I couldn't believe it. Who in their right mind would propose highly addictive and powerful narcotics for chronic pain for a non fatal illness. It made a lot of sense for a cancer patients. I told them to get out of my office. The Oxycontin bullshit came later.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God almighty San Carlos, that is terrible. Very sorry to hear that.

And Avram's comment reminded me that when my wife had surgery 8 years ago or so, she was given a prescription for Oxycontin. I got it filled for her, it was like 40 pills. She took a couple of doses and then threw them out. She didn't like the visits from her father (who had been dead for 12 years at that point) when she was on the pill.

Luckily she is as far from an addictive personality as you'll ever meet. But to give out such a large prescription - and this was done at a highly respected hospital (and obviously, non-profit up here). How deep are their tentacles?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 pm God almighty San Carlos, that is terrible. Very sorry to hear that.

And Avram's comment reminded me that when my wife had surgery 8 years ago or so, she was given a prescription for Oxycontin. I got it filled for her, it was like 40 pills. She took a couple of doses and then threw them out. She didn't like the visits from her father (who had been dead for 12 years at that point) when she was on the pill.

Luckily she is as far from an addictive personality as you'll ever meet. But to give out such a large prescription - and this was done at a highly respected hospital (and obviously, non-profit up here). How deep are their tentacles?
Hopefully things are changing, but when I had shoulder surgeries and wisdom teeth out, they gave me ridiculous amounts of oxycodone. For the wisdom teeth, they gave me 30 pills and a refill, I used 2 and saved the rest for recreational/self-treating yet to be diagnosed depression. Can't even remember how much they gave me for my shoulder surgeries, but the pain was bearable if I kept the sling on and was careful. Fuck, even if I moved wrong, the pain was bad for 5 seconds, then lingered. It's ridiculous that Drs give out pain meds so freely, unless you have severe, unbearable pain, they should make us suck it up. Pain serves a necessary purpose, and we would probably heal better and faster if we momentarily suffered from moving a freshly operated on shoulder that you aren't supposed to move yet. OTOH, for injuries you need to rehab immediately after surgery, pain meds are probably necessary to be able to break through the scar tissue with physical therapy. With my shoulders, I'm sure I told my doctor I was taking meds for depression, yet nobody has ever questioned giving me abusable drugs. How is it the norm to give out highly addictive and easy to OD on narcotics to a depressed person without even asking if they are suicidal or prone to abusing drugs?
-Pruitt
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 pm God almighty San Carlos, that is terrible. Very sorry to hear that.

Hopefully things are changing, but when I had shoulder surgeries and wisdom teeth out, they gave me ridiculous amounts of oxycodone. For the wisdom teeth, they gave me 30 pills and a refill, I used 2 and saved the rest for recreational/self-treating yet to be diagnosed depression. Can't even remember how much they gave me for my shoulder surgeries, but the pain was bearable if I kept the sling on and was careful. Fuck, even if I moved wrong, the pain was bad for 5 seconds, then lingered. It's ridiculous that Drs give out pain meds so freely, unless you have severe, unbearable pain, they should make us suck it up. Pain serves a necessary purpose, and we would probably heal better and faster if we momentarily suffered from moving a freshly operated on shoulder that you aren't supposed to move yet. OTOH, for injuries you need to rehab immediately after surgery, pain meds are probably necessary to be able to break through the scar tissue with physical therapy. With my shoulders, I'm sure I told my doctor I was taking meds for depression, yet nobody has ever questioned giving me abusable drugs. How is it the norm to give out highly addictive and easy to OD on narcotics to a depressed person without even asking if they are suicidal or prone to abusing drugs?
It is a totally fucked up system with many factors involved. Not the least of which is input from Big Pharma which combined with the JCAH (hosptial accreditation) to make pain the "fifth" vital sign and promote the idea that not treating pain was the same as causing it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The NRA is a bunch of fucking babies.

The responses to this are excellent.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm The NRA is a bunch of fucking babies.

The responses to this are excellent.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Why does he destroy the tv with a sledgehammer, surely he should just blast away with an automatic weapon
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So is Bill O'Reilly jealous that not only is Trump's hush money payment $130k, but that it was paid by his lawyer?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 am So is Bill O'Reilly jealous that not only is Trump's hush money payment $130k, but that it was paid by his lawyer?
The difference is O'Reilly paid off a legal settlement, Trump paid hush money to avoid a salacious story. IIRC, FoxNews paid O'Reilly's settlements.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »