The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Post by brian »

While I'm sure it started on Jan. 20, this shows that the law-breaking started -- at a minimum -- on the fourth day of Trump's presidency.

https://twitter.com/sarahcwestwood/stat ... 9331921921
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So assuming this is as big as it feels, what's step 2 in Trump's attempt to destabilize everything after he fires Mueller?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

LOCK. HIM. UP.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:So assuming this is as big as it feels, what's step 2 in Trump's attempt to destabilize everything after he fires Mueller?

Attack North Korea.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Remember when stuff like that was as close to a 0% chance as possible and it could be joked about?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

brian wrote:
mister d wrote:So assuming this is as big as it feels, what's step 2 in Trump's attempt to destabilize everything after he fires Mueller?

Attack North Korea.

Would you trust him to nuke the right Korea if he can't get the British PM correct?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Baloney wrote:
brian wrote:

Attack North Korea.

Would you trust him to nuke the right Korea if he can't get the British PM correct?

I'd like to think that they've built a special room for Donald Trump, right down to including actors playing the part of generals, majors, lieutenants, technicians and desk jockeys to simulate a war effort. Right there with big screens to display all the trajectories ala War Games.

"Sir, should we nuke North Korea?"

"YES!"

And then have it all play out. Then rush him to the bunker underneath the White House, cuz you know, gotta protect the president.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:LOCK. HIM. UP.

Fuck yes. Happy Happy Happy Day.

And if he's flipping, Kushner and Trump Jr can't be far behind.

It can't be a coincidence that this plea was made public right after Mueller interviewed Kushner about Flynn. Talk about an Obstruction trap.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote:
Baloney wrote:
brian wrote:

Attack North Korea.

I'd like to think that they've built a special room for Donald Trump, right down to including actors playing the part of generals, majors, lieutenants, technicians and desk jockeys to simulate a war effort. Right there with big screens to display all the trajectories ala War Games.

"YES!"

And then have it all play out. Then rush him to the bunker underneath the White House, cuz you know, gotta protect the president.

Oh, that is a beautiful idea. Have him stashed away in an underground bunker living the Truman Show. Fuck it, let's take it up a step and televise it, we can all enjoy watching him living in a bunker thinking the world blew up.

As for the Flynn stuff, I think it's an enormous sign that that Flynn pled guilty to the least serious charge possible. He could be charged with failing to declare he was working as an agent of Turkey (while acting as NSA), they could get him on conspiracy to kidnap charges based on his accepting money to lobby for the extradition of a guy Turkey wanted, collusion with Russia, amongst many other potential charges. It's almost certain he pled guilty to the least serious crime, and prosecutors are holding off on more serious charges because Flynn agreed to cooperate to get a bigger fish.

LOCK. HIM. UP! This is one fucker I feel zero guilt about my schadenfreude.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Tweeting anti-Muslim hate videos. Or maybe falsely accusing a media critic of murder. Or falsely inciting hatred of immigrants by accusing an illegal immigrant of violent crimes he was not guilty of.

But probably not. No President would ever do something like that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:
Baloney wrote:
brian wrote:

Attack North Korea.

"YES!"

Oh, that is a beautiful idea. Have him stashed away in an underground bunker living the Truman Show. Fuck it, let's take it up a step and televise it, we can all enjoy watching him living in a bunker thinking the world blew up.

As for the Flynn stuff, I think it's an enormous sign that that Flynn pled guilty to the least serious charge possible. He could be charged with failing to declare he was working as an agent of Turkey (while acting as NSA), they could get him on conspiracy to kidnap charges based on his accepting money to lobby for the extradition of a guy Turkey wanted, collusion with Russia, amongst many other potential charges. It's almost certain he pled guilty to the least serious crime, and prosecutors are holding off on more serious charges because Flynn agreed to cooperate to get a bigger fish.

LOCK. HIM. UP! This is one fucker I feel zero guilt about my schadenfreude.

Wait and see on this. I'm as excited as the next guy that you're right, but it could be all they've got so far.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know you're a lawyer so you know more about this shit than me, but that seems pretty unlikely.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd say it's likely, but still no guarantee.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/1/16706534/ ... arged-deal

Man... It's been a shitty week... This sure is a nice way to cap things off. Sometimes I forget how much is out there, tying things together and pointing to SERIOUS problems for Trump. This article is a very good overview of how fucked the WH is if Flynn has direct knowledge of collusion.

ETA - It's not the collusion that makes Flynn dangerous, it's the obstruction stuff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote:I'd say it's likely, but still no guarantee.

Can you think of a reason why Flynn would plead guilty right off the bat if he didn't have a deal?

And if Flynn has a deal with Mueller, doesn't that mean Flynn is flipping? Is there another reason why Mueller would make a deal that didn't involve cooperation against others?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think there's a tiny percentage chance that this is all they have on him now. This could be all that they feel they'd ever have on him.

Again, I think that chance is quite small. However, with something this important, I've decided to not count my chickens before they hatch.

Really looking forward to the next Stay Tuned with Preet. I bet he does an emergency pod today.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:
Baloney wrote:
brian wrote:

Attack North Korea.

"YES!"

[...]

Think about it. They could mock up a version of Google Earth.

"SIR! While Twitter is still inoperable, Google has cooperated and lifted their blurring of North Korea. You can survey the damage on your computer."

"YES!"
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

https://twitter.com/joyindc/status/9366 ... arged-deal

I mean, if Trump directed Flynn to contact the Russians during the campaign that's pretty much game over, right?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The best part about Flynn flipping is that he's such a dishonest scumbag, he'll squeal on Trump even if Trump wasn't actually involved.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Was coming to post the same ABC report.

The FUCKING AMAZING thing about all of this is that there's no credible way for Trump to discredit Flynn. He's on the record dozens of times talking about what a great guy he is, even after he fired him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Was coming to post the same ABC report.

The FUCKING AMAZING thing about all of this is that there's no credible way for Trump to discredit Flynn. He's on the record dozens of times talking about what a great guy he is, even after he fired him.

Which, in hindsight, can be seen as sucking up to Flynn to hope he didn't turn.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:

Which, in hindsight, can be seen as sucking up to Flynn to hope he didn't turn.

No doubt. He probably thought Flynn would be loyal. Not sure Trump even yet realizes that this is the big-time and people aren't going to do 20 years in prison to protect him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This feels like magical Christmasland right now.

And one other thing that absolutely sticks in my craw with Flynn...he's a retired 3 star general. He's a person that I am, by design, having to look up to and follow orders from and trust.

This mother fucker is a near literal modern day Benedict Arnold. Disgusting. Could've had a very nice life on his retired pay and worked anywhere, but he chose this life instead. Fucking nuts.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Benedict Arnold was awesome until he wasn't.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:This feels like magical Christmasland right now.

And one other thing that absolutely sticks in my craw with Flynn...he's a retired 3 star general. He's a person that I am, by design, having to look up to and follow orders from and trust.

This mother fucker is a near literal modern day Benedict Arnold. Disgusting. Could've had a very nice life on his retired pay and worked anywhere, but he chose this life instead. Fucking nuts.

Money is a hell of a drug.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Here's where I'll be the wet blanket (again). No one else is reporting what ABC has reported. Others are reporting that Flynn will say that he was directed by Trump transition team officials to contact the Russians - after the election.

That would still be illegal, apparently, but in my mind, not that big of a deal. By December, Trump had been elected. He was going to be sworn in within a few weeks. If he initiated contacts with the Russians on December 20 instead of waiting until January 20, meh. That seems like a technicality rather than conspiring with foreign agents to win an election.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, it's good to be circumspect about all of this. I'm not giddy, by any stretch.

But like I said before, all this tax cut bullshit and Moore being up in AL is just depressing.

While you're right that we don't really know how deep the Flynn stuff actually is, there's zero percent chance this is anything but trouble for Trump and Co. Might not be the homerun we're looking for, but at a minimum this (combined with previous pleas) is rounding into a shit sandwich for the WH.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I agree with Steve...unless there is an actual tape from pre-election day 2016 of Trump on the phone with Putin saying "help me win this election" I'm afraid this will be a lot of buildup with no payoff. There will be enough doubt and spin to keep Trump afloat.

Which is a shame since this is probably the most corrupt administration since Harding.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote:While you're right that we don't really know how deep the Flynn stuff actually is, there's zero percent chance this is anything but trouble for Trump and Co. Might not be the homerun we're looking for, but at a minimum this (combined with previous pleas) is rounding into a shit sandwich for the WH.

Oh hell yes. I doubt Mueller would let Flynn plead to a single false-statement count if the best Flynn could give Mueller was contact with the Russians after the election. There will be more.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:While you're right that we don't really know how deep the Flynn stuff actually is, there's zero percent chance this is anything but trouble for Trump and Co. Might not be the homerun we're looking for, but at a minimum this (combined with previous pleas) is rounding into a shit sandwich for the WH.

Oh hell yes. I doubt Mueller would let Flynn plead to a single false-statement count if the best Flynn could give Mueller was contact with the Russians after the election. There will be more.

Don't forget Flynn also probably (in fact very likely) flipped on other people in the Trump White House as well, including some that might have even more incriminating evidence against Trump. So this isn't the end of the marathon, it's just the beginning.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, and don't forget Ivana and Jared pushed hard for Flynn to be in the NSA chair. And it sure seems like Junior was running around quite a bit on the Russian angle.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote:Benedict Arnold was awesome until he wasn't.

Treasons Greetings!
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:This feels like magical Christmasland right now.

Money is a hell of a drug.

I can't find it but Josh Marshall made a pretty convincing case that Flynn is in some kind of deep shit that required him to come up with a ton of $ very quickly. If he wasn't, he could easily coast on military benefits and get very lucrative consulting gigs as many ex-government security experts do, and probably make just as much as all his shady shit, but of course over a longer stretch of time. He needed money so bad that he was literally plotting felonies on US soil (the kidnapping thing).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tax bill passing in case anyone was feeling any sort of good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't care if it is 20 years from now with Trump long dead, I don't feel like this whole thing is going to be really be over until the pee tape is released.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Senator Richard Blumenthal sent Pence a letter regarding Flynn. It's spicy.

PDF alert...

https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/imo/m ... letter.pdf