The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... 1512168710

These fuckers. Now they're making bullshit claims that Obama approved Flynn's contact with the Russians. Cynical pieces of shit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote:https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/02/trump-flynn-russia-no-collusion-claim-276017

I mean...

It's a Saturday, so Trump's tweet essentially admitting to obstruction isn't blowing up like it normally would. I'm sure they will try to spin this that he was mixing up past/present, but as written, Trump admitted to firing Flynn because he lied to Pence AND the FBI. Which makes pressuring Comey following that all the more obstruction'y.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/02/trump-flynn-russia-no-collusion-claim-276017

I mean...

It's a Saturday, so Trump's tweet essentially admitting to obstruction isn't blowing up like it normally would. I'm sure they will try to spin this that he was mixing up past/present, but as written, Trump admitted to firing Flynn because he lied to Pence AND the FBI. Which makes pressuring Comey following that all the more obstruction'y.

and the KT McFarland email
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

naked capitalism is a lot of fun today.

In the comments:
To paraphrase the Beatles, you say you want a revolution…but you don’t really mean it. You want more of the same because it makes you feel good to keep voting for your Senator or your Congressman. The others are corrupt and evil, but your guys are good. If only the others were like your guys. News flash: they are all your guys.

America is doomed. And so much the better. Despite all America has done for the world, it has also been a brutal despot. America created consumerism, super-sizing and the Kardashians. These are all unforgivable sins. America is probably the most persistently violent country in the world both domestically and internationally. No other country has invaded or occupied so much of the world, unless you count the known world in which case Macedonia wins.

This tax plan is what Americans want because they are pretty ignorant and stupid. They are incapable of understanding basic math so they can’t work out the details. They believe that any tax cut is inherently good and all government is bad so that is also all that matters. They honestly think they or their kids will one day be rich so they don’t want to hurt rich people. They also believe that millionaires got their money honestly and through hard work because that is what they learned from their parents.

Just send a blank check to Goldman Sachs. Keep a bit to buy a gun which you can use to either shoot up a McDonalds or blow your own brains out.

And some people still ask me why I left and don’t want to come back. LOL

Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote:without condoning the ABC report -- it's very possible the source was so trusted that the information was deemed valid. and then when the source backtracked and said well actually, ABC was left in a tough spot

that's my theory anyway. again, not condoning, so let's not try to give the guy who fucking does this shit on a daily basis a journalism ethics lesson

and anyway -- you can write an entire story that is "true" based on the quotes and stories from sources and it can be entirely "false."

ABC suspended the reporter who ran that story.
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/ ... 3899618304
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If only the Republican party held such as standards.

The president can literally tweet that he obstructed justice and once everyone goes "Holy shit. You obstructed justice!" then blame of who actually wrote the tweet goes to someone else when called.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:without condoning the ABC report -- it's very possible the source was so trusted that the information was deemed valid. and then when the source backtracked and said well actually, ABC was left in a tough spot

that's my theory anyway. again, not condoning, so let's not try to give the guy who fucking does this shit on a daily basis a journalism ethics lesson

and anyway -- you can write an entire story that is "true" based on the quotes and stories from sources and it can be entirely "false."

it's very possible the source was so trusted that the information was deemed valid. and then when the source backtracked and said well actually, ABC was left in a tough spot
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s possible.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:

it's very possible the source was so trusted that the information was deemed valid. and then when the source backtracked and said well actually, ABC was left in a tough spot

It's also "very possible" that ABC recognizes that its reporters should make sure their sources are rock solid before reporting out such explosive allegations. It would seem to me that the level of confirmation required should be proportionate to the gravity of the story. Ross' report that Trump *personally* ordered Flynn to contact Russian officials during the campaign led to calls for impeachment and caused the stock market to plummet. That's not a garden variety story where you can just say, "whoops, I trusted my source."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote:naked capitalism is a lot of fun today.

In the comments:
To paraphrase the Beatles, you say you want a revolution…but you don’t really mean it. You want more of the same because it makes you feel good to keep voting for your Senator or your Congressman. The others are corrupt and evil, but your guys are good. If only the others were like your guys. News flash: they are all your guys.

America is doomed. And so much the better. Despite all America has done for the world, it has also been a brutal despot. America created consumerism, super-sizing and the Kardashians. These are all unforgivable sins. America is probably the most persistently violent country in the world both domestically and internationally. No other country has invaded or occupied so much of the world, unless you count the known world in which case Macedonia wins.

This tax plan is what Americans want because they are pretty ignorant and stupid. They are incapable of understanding basic math so they can’t work out the details. They believe that any tax cut is inherently good and all government is bad so that is also all that matters. They honestly think they or their kids will one day be rich so they don’t want to hurt rich people. They also believe that millionaires got their money honestly and through hard work because that is what they learned from their parents.

Just send a blank check to Goldman Sachs. Keep a bit to buy a gun which you can use to either shoot up a McDonalds or blow your own brains out.

And some people still ask me why I left and don’t want to come back. LOL

delete
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A dude on Reddit said "Jared Kushner failed to disclose..." would be a great Cards Against Humanity prompt.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/ ... 2360421381

Saban has been one of the biggest donors to Hillary Clinton and the DNC, which goes to show how dysfunctional US policy is towards the Middle East.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:

It's also "very possible" that ABC recognizes that its reporters should make sure their sources are rock solid before reporting out such explosive allegations. It would seem to me that the level of confirmation required should be proportionate to the gravity of the story. Ross' report that Trump *personally* ordered Flynn to contact Russian officials during the campaign led to calls for impeachment and caused the stock market to plummet. That's not a garden variety story where you can just say, "whoops, I trusted my source."

for the love of motherfucking god that's part of my goddamn point. jesus christ.

just because a source is really fucking good does not mean you automatically get to skip the step of second confirmation. I kind of figured that part was clear enough to be left unspoken, but it clearly wasn't.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:

for the love of motherfucking god that's part of my goddamn point. jesus christ.

just because a source is really fucking good does not mean you automatically get to skip the step of second confirmation. I kind of figured that part was clear enough to be left unspoken, but it clearly wasn't.

Everything about your two posts, both the suggestion that Ross likely relied on a source that was "so trusted that the information was deemed valid" and that the story could have "been 'true' based on the quotes and stories from sources" was giving Ross and ABC the benefit of the doubt for the initial story. Are you aware of Ross' history of extremely consequential reporting mistakes? Like this beauty, for example:

Back in October 2001, Ross reported that an anthrax-laced letter sent to then-Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle's office contained traces of bentonite. Ross went on to report that "as far as is known, only one country, Iraq, has used bentonite to produce biological weapons."

I may not have gone to journalism school, but I'm not going to be overly sympathetic to a reporter who ran a bogus story that Saddam Hussein was trying to murder US politicians, and thus helped fuel the buildup to the Iraq War. Especially when that same guy subsequently relied on a "really fucking good" source to run a since-debunked report that the CIA's use of torture was stopping terrorist plots.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:

I may not have gone to journalism school, but I'm not going to be overly sympathetic to a reporter who ran a bogus story that Saddam Hussein was trying to murder US politicians, and thus helped fuel the buildup to the Iraq War. Especially when that same guy subsequently relied on a "really fucking good" source to run a since-debunked report that the CIA's use of torture was stopping terrorist plots.

I'm not going to be overly sympathetic to a message board poster who clearly doesn't see that I'm simply explaining what could have plausibly happened without condoning what happened because it does me no good to start throwing stones at news organizations on a message board.

I bolded that last part so it's pretty fucking clear that I AM NOT CONDONING WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS CASE and would appreciate not being mansplained about journalism

ETA: yes, it's slightly annoying to feel obligated to say "this is bad" so that it's clear that I think something is bad to make it obvious to the people who didn't go to journalism school that I don't believe "this is not bad."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this kind of shit is why I typically don't talk about college football here. there's very limited upside. pretty clear I need to apply that rule to media stuff now too.

anyway, back to the topic at hand.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:this kind of shit is why I typically don't talk about college football here. there's very limited upside. pretty clear I need to apply that rule to media stuff now too.

Naw, we value your input as a journalist. I get what you were saying, and I didn't think you were excusing or condoning, just explaining how a fuckup like this could happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fucked up that Bronto is condoning what happened with ABC and Ross.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Fucked up that Bronto is condoning what happened with ABC and Ross.

He really could have short circuited it my explicitly stating that he didn't condone it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm glad Bronto didn't throw rocks at ABC News for managing to botch a simple report-the-facts on a story involving an investigation that is as big as any we've seen in our lifetimes.

I'd have preferred he'd have thrown a grenade. To remind the peanut gallery that their actions dinged the view of journalists as not only arbiters of truth, but as arbiters of facts as well.

Insert pithy lyric here that sums up my feelings about everything.

It gets me real pissed off, it makes me wanna say
It gets me real pissed off, and it makes me wanna say
It gets me real pissed off, and it makes me wanna say
FUCK!
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Bronto used a gif of Steve Carell's character Michael Scott." - Brian Ross
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Pelosi/Schumer Liberal puppet" is the new Trumpian phrase.

Reminded me of something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVWRetR4jg
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy crap. Manafort and the prosecutors had agreed to set of bail conditions, and on Thursday Manafort's lawyers filed the motion, with the government's consent, to modify the order of release.

The next day, the feds learned that Manafort was working with a Russian contact (tied to Russian intelligence) to ghost-write an English-language op-ed piece pleading his case. Despire the court's order that the parties not make public statements about the case.

So today the feds filed a response to the consent motion, indicating that they no longer consented.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So...Is bail revoked?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

..And how is this not a perfect example of a man who thinks the law simply does not apply to him?
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This says it all -
Richard Land told me that those who withhold their support from Trump because they’re uncomfortable with his moral failings will “become morally accountable for letting the greater evil prevail.”

Not just about Evangelicals, but about any people who back vile movements. The trains run on time, the economy is stronger... who cares about morality and what happens to those who do not stand with us.

A pox on all of them.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Not to defend Pence or anyone else, but I think a lot of the hypocrisy can be explained by just how singularly focused on abortion many evangelical voters are. Although my parents have always voted Democratic, many members of the church I attended growing up truly viewed abortion as an issue that supersedes everything. I'm not exaggerating to say that they viewed it as a moral crisis tantamount to a genocide. If you have that mentality, it's not so hard to view Trumpism as the "lesser evil," especially when you consider how he's remaking the judiciary.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie might be best suited for this answer...but what the fuck was with the whole South Korea show off our army exercise thing? Is that a thing we do? Or was that Trump flexing on NK?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote:Not to defend Pence or anyone else, but I think a lot of the hypocrisy can be explained by just how singularly focused on abortion many evangelical voters are. Although my parents have always voted Democratic, many members of the church I attended growing up truly viewed abortion as an issue that supersedes everything. I'm not exaggerating to say that they viewed it as a moral crisis tantamount to a genocide. If you have that mentality, it's not so hard to view Trumpism as the "lesser evil," especially when you consider how he's remaking the judiciary.

Yeah - that is clearly the case.

But it's really not "Christian" beliefs as much as a single Christian belief.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Joe K wrote:Not to defend Pence or anyone else, but I think a lot of the hypocrisy can be explained by just how singularly focused on abortion many evangelical voters are. Although my parents have always voted Democratic, many members of the church I attended growing up truly viewed abortion as an issue that supersedes everything. I'm not exaggerating to say that they viewed it as a moral crisis tantamount to a genocide. If you have that mentality, it's not so hard to view Trumpism as the "lesser evil," especially when you consider how he's remaking the judiciary.

I would think guns are a similar issue?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Johnnie might be best suited for this answer...but what the fuck was with the whole South Korea show off our army exercise thing? Is that a thing we do? Or was that Trump flexing on NK?

Both? Neither?

Not being sarcastic, but no way to know for sure even if they announced the reason behind it. It's definitely a move out of the Cold War playbook though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:Johnnie might be best suited for this answer...but what the fuck was with the whole South Korea show off our army exercise thing? Is that a thing we do? Or was that Trump flexing on NK?

Pretty sure stuff like this goes on regularly. I heard a South Korean military spokesperson on the radio this morning saying, "we are the military, we do training exercising. It's what we do." Is there a motive in making a show about it? Probably, but I don't think this is a sign of an imminent attack.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That's an excellent point, and it's hard to keep that in perspective. We have all voted for candidates we don't like, because we thought the other option was worse. Many people are convinced Christianity is under attack, and Dems controlling the Senate will mean the death of their religion. While we might think this is ridiculous, national TV pundits with very high ratings have people terrified about it. Voting for a guy with a deplorable personal "dating" history is understandable when they think the alternative is being forced to live in a Godless, oppressive society. When you listen to the description of Jones by the RW media, he is an ultra-Liberal extremist pushing George Soros' evil plot.
-Pruitt
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

The American Conservative is mainly filled with right wing garbage, but I found this article interesting (of course it is written by a woman) This kind of moral rectitude is rare among Rs lately

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -movement/
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote:this kind of shit is why I typically don't talk about college football here. there's very limited upside. pretty clear I need to apply that rule to media stuff now too.

Congratulations for the most condescending Swamp post in years. Please stop depriving us of your unassailable opinions on college football, journalism and NASCAR. We promise we'll never debate any of your points or fail to grant you benefit of the doubt for opinions you didn't otherwise express.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone have an idea why Trump's lawyers continue to run their mouths? Now Cobb is disputing the other moron about whether the president can obstruct justice or not.

Why? WTF?