Kevin Spacey's Career?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: Kevin Spacey's Career?

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:Maybe this can expedite leadership turnover.

Seriously. Not that these decisions should necessarily be about political considerations, but Conyers is 88 years old, from a solidly blue district. There's virtually no downside to the party asking him to step aside. Even apart from this issue, I think it's time for some new, younger leadership. Pelosi has done a lot of good throughout her career, but it's time for new blood.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Lauer.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:Lauer.

At the risk of sounding like the clueless neighbor...he seemed like a good dude.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or asexual? Interested to see my mom's reaction on this one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Or asexual? Interested to see my mom's reaction on this one.

How about Great Uncle Willard's?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Guys, you're being glib
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:

At the risk of sounding like the clueless neighbor...he seemed like a good dude.

he did seem that way. But there was a LOT of chatter behind the scenes about him for years. I am not at all surprised.

Oh, and he was one of media men along with Halperin and Rose hammering Clinton for emails in 2016 and otherwise shaping that narrative that comes off as particularly pointedly mysoginistic in hindsight (and seemed so at the time).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:
A_B wrote:

he did seem that way. But there was a LOT of chatter behind the scenes about him for years. I am not at all surprised.

Oh, and he was one of media men along with Halperin and Rose hammering Clinton for emails in 2016 and otherwise shaping that narrative that comes off as particularly pointedly mysoginistic in hindsight (and seemed so at the time).

I did not know that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You just can't trust people who went to Ohio University.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Lauer has been rumored to be a guy that ran around on his wives for many years. Recently there was a lot of heat around a rumor he was having an affair with Natalie Morales and that's why she left to go to Access Hollywood.

That said, sleeping around doesn't equal what is being alleged, so I'm still surprised by this.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Lauer has been rumored to be a guy that ran around on his wives for many years. Recently there was a lot of heat around a rumor he was having an affair with Natalie Morales and that's why she left to go to Access Hollywood.

That said, sleeping around doesn't equal what is being alleged, so I'm still surprised by this.

I'm not saying the two are related, but it seems more likely than less if you're dealing with someone who's having multiple affairs if you get what I mean.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Lauer has been rumored to be a guy that ran around on his wives for many years. Recently there was a lot of heat around a rumor he was having an affair with Natalie Morales and that's why she left to go to Access Hollywood.

I'm not saying the two are related, but it seems more likely than less if you're dealing with someone who's having multiple affairs if you get what I mean.

Oh, absolutely, no question that it shows a certain mentality that seems more prone to it. Guys like that seem to find it difficult to draw appropriate lines. I'm surprised by Lauer, but not shocked by any stretch. If that makes sense.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

He's also one of those guys that still famously gets the old school puppy love thing from hundreds of thousands of everyday women. If you're already prone to dirtbag behavior, that's gotta add to whatever carte blanche he may have given himself.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote:Or asexual? Interested to see my mom's reaction on this one.

Ryan wrote:He's also one of those guys that still famously gets the old school puppy love thing from hundreds of thousands of everyday women. If you're already prone to dirtbag behavior, that's gotta add to whatever carte blanche he may have given himself.

Don't love how this played out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

See avatar

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Garrison Keillor:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/935921836856172546

Where the harrassers are also above average?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was in a sort of free-form all-day G&T program in elementary school and middle school and I remember listening to PHC regularly in class in 5th or 6th grade. I've always recognized his name, but I don't think I've heard or read anything by him since. If you had told me he was dead I probably would have believed you.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm pretty sure I mentioned here a few years ago that, while not having anything against him, I had never read/seen/listened to anything by Keillor.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:I was in a sort of free-form all-day G&T program in elementary school and middle school and I remember listening to PHC regularly in class in 5th or 6th grade. I've always recognized his name, but I don't think I've heard or read anything by him since. If you had told me he was dead I probably would have believed you.

He just retired from PHC (for the second time) a few years ago. My parents listened every saturday so I kind of grew up listening to him. My brother and I took my mom for a birthday present to see him in DC for a live PHC recording four years ago. Post-retirement, he was on some kind of tour last year and Geep took mom again to DC to see him. This time he said that the show was kinda...odd. Some weird stories from his past and what not.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Hopefully ketchup will remain untainted.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Keilor penned a very bizarre defense of Franken just within the last day to so. I saw a live PHC show about 10 years ago, as my then-GF was a big fan. Keilor absolutely strikes me as the type of guy who would creepily hit on staffers while trying to play it off as just being a classic romantic.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"This is a name that sounds familiar but I would get very insecure if I were put on the spot in public and asked who he is."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:

Really? I've always gotten a creepy vibe from Lauer, and never understood the housewife infatuation with him. Not trying to call you out, as that is the image he tried hard to develop for 20 years, but I've always found him insincere. I also think he is flat out dumb, and cringe watching him try to perform a nuanced interview, or discuss a topic with any substance beyond a feel good fluff piece.

I didn't realize Natalie Morales moved to Access Hollywood. That's a huge embarrassment, I held her in the highest regard as a news reader, and had a crush on her. Oh, well. Sad to hear she sullied herself (if true) with the likes of Matt Lauer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I grew up in a hippie household. I grew up listening to PHC and continued to listen to it while on road trips. Part of that is nostalgia, part of it is genuinely finding it entertaining.

The fact that I don't find this one surprising probably speaks to just being totally numb to these revelations at this point. Men are fucking creeps.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Really? I've always gotten a creepy vibe from Lauer, and never understood the housewife infatuation with him. Not trying to call you out, as that is the image he tried hard to develop for 20 years, but I've always found him insincere. I also think he is flat out dumb, and cringe watching him try to perform a nuanced interview, or discuss a topic with any substance beyond a feel good fluff piece.

I didn't realize Natalie Morales moved to Access Hollywood. That's a huge embarrassment, I held her in the highest regard as a news reader, and had a crush on her. Oh, well. Sad to hear she sullied herself (if true) with the likes of Matt Lauer.

When does AB_TheHousewife make the rounds?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

https://twitter.com/AP/status/935921836856172546

Yesterday, the Washington Post had a column by Keillor that positively dripped with snark...

"Al Franken should resign? That’s absurd."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I see Pruitt has me on ignore...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:I see Pruitt has me on ignore...

Not at all - it's just that when I quote a tweet, only the URL comes up.

Having the original tweet visible made the follow up that much more dramatic!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote:Not at all - it's just that when I quote a tweet, only the URL comes up.

Having the original tweet visible made the follow up that much more dramatic!

Who are you talking to?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Variety story about Lauer is pretty bananas. He comes off like some kind of supervillain.

Lauer, who was paranoid about being followed by tabloid reporters, grew more emboldened at 30 Rockefeller Center as his profile rose following Katie Couric’s departure from “Today” in 2006. His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy. It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer.

Emphasis mine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:The Variety story about Lauer is pretty bananas. He comes off like some kind of supervillain.

Lauer, who was paranoid about being followed by tabloid reporters, grew more emboldened at 30 Rockefeller Center as his profile rose following Katie Couric’s departure from “Today” in 2006. His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy. It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer.

Emphasis mine.

Kinda sucks that NBC scooped them. But kinda great that they did it on Lauer's own show.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can we please see the NBC inter-office work order for the installation of the "Bond SuperVillian Remote Control Door Lock"?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dems are going to look even better if Conyers pulls a Paterno here. "Look, the right thing happened despite us trying to prevent it!"
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

An NBC spokesperson said those buttons were in place for many high-profile employees for security reasons.

Yeah... Right.

That's higher level creepdom right there.

And I didn't really realize that the reporter that broke the Weinstein story was actually an MSNBC reporter. Missed that somehow.

NBC is looking REALLY bad this week. Like, Fox News level bad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Add Russell Simmons to the list.

HBO is distancing themselves from him.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:Add Russell Simmons to the list.

HBO is distancing themselves from him.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Simmons was implicated in another story a couple of weeks ago. Something about being part of a crew that kind of helped wrangle girls into compromising situations.

Crazy that there's been so much going on that I can't remember the details. It was very shady stuff.