Kevin Spacey's Career?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Kevin Spacey's Career?

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Simmons was implicated in another story a couple of weeks ago. Something about being part of a crew that kind of helped wrangle girls into compromising situations.

Crazy that there's been so much going on that I can't remember the details. It was very shady stuff.

With Ratner, I believe.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Simmons was implicated in another story a couple of weeks ago. Something about being part of a crew that kind of helped wrangle girls into compromising situations.

Crazy that there's been so much going on that I can't remember the details. It was very shady stuff.

With Ratner, I believe.

THERE it is. Yep, that's right. I was too lazy to go look it up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Barf. This is my congressman. And this is a pretty swingy district and the GOP challenger is currently my city councilman and I hate that fucking guy.

So this really, really, really, really sucks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Three of the women who have accused Masterson were members of the Church of Scientology at the time they say they were raped. Church doctrine says that contacting law enforcement to report another Scientologist is a high crime and will lead to being declared a suppressive person ― meaning that person will be shunned from the church, and their friends and family members who are church members must stop speaking to them.

Despite that edict, Victim B filed a police report against Masterson in 2004. But the case was quickly thwarted when dozens of Scientologists filed affidavits with the LAPD claiming that Victim B wasn’t telling the truth.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:

Three of the women who have accused Masterson were members of the Church of Scientology at the time they say they were raped. Church doctrine says that contacting law enforcement to report another Scientologist is a high crime and will lead to being declared a suppressive person ― meaning that person will be shunned from the church, and their friends and family members who are church members must stop speaking to them.

Despite that edict, Victim B filed a police report against Masterson in 2004. But the case was quickly thwarted when dozens of Scientologists filed affidavits with the LAPD claiming that Victim B wasn’t telling the truth.

Wow! So Scientology is just like a real religion.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I geeked out on Scientology stuff some years ago. It is a criminal enterprise.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Metropolitan Opera conductor James Levine. This had been heavily rumored in the classical music world for decades, to the point it was basically an open secret. In publications it would be hinted at without explicitly naming him because of legal concerns. I remember even on classical forums the allegations would come up and people would argue if it was "allowed" to discuss them.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I geeked out on Scientology stuff some years ago. It is a criminal enterprise.

I did to. Fascinates the hell out of me.

Ever read this book - Image

Amazing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Dustin Hoffman confronted over abuse allegations by John Oliver at public Q&A

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/d ... -interview
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Conyers retiring, per my TV (CNN).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The semantics of this matter so much. Only these weak-ass Dems would let him retire versus being forced to resign because he's their old man and they don't want him sad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Conyers retiring, per my TV (CNN).

Yeah, while still denying the accusations, claiming his legacy can't be tarnished, and trying to appoint his son to replace him. Fuck that guy. Twice. He's no less delusional or egotistical than Trump.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And you guys have only seen 5 percent of what a sleaze Conyers is.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:And you guys have only seen 5 percent of what a sleaze Conyers is.

Just the tip, huh?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Question for the lawyers: can an employer ask things like "have you ever been accused of sexual harassment/misconduct?" in an interview? Just wondering if organizations are going to be able to proactively protect their employees.

(As an aside, our new office has glass walls facing the hallway in every office except maybe 2-3 (and those have glass doors) which everyone hated at first, but in hindsight, it might have been a lucky break in terms of being transparent (ha!) and might be something that becomes more en vogue. If I were starting a business I'd consider it for sure.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:Question for the lawyers: can an employer ask things like "have you ever been accused of sexual harassment/misconduct?" in an interview? Just wondering if organizations are going to be able to proactively protect their employees.

Good question, and one I've surprisingly never heard before. There is a movement towards "Ban the Box" laws, that prohibit employers from asking about convictions on job applications. The laws are different in every state and municipality that has passed them, but typically, you can only ask about convictions during the interview process, and only if there is a connection to the conviction and the job duties. I think you could say conviction for sexual misconduct is relevant to every job, unless the person works from home with zero chance of contact with any coworkers or customers. Asking about workplace complaints against a job candidate, I can't think of anything preventing an employer from asking.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:Good question, and one I've surprisingly never heard before. There is a movement towards "Ban the Box" laws, that prohibit employers from asking about convictions on job applications. The laws are different in every state and municipality that has passed them, but typically, you can only ask about convictions during the interview process, and only if there is a connection to the conviction and the job duties. I think you could say conviction for sexual misconduct is relevant to every job, unless the person works from home with zero chance of contact with any coworkers or customers. Asking about workplace complaints against a job candidate, I can't think of anything preventing an employer from asking.

I would assume a private employer can ask anything he or she wants, unless there is a specific anti-discrimination law that inhibits that. The ADA prevents or limits questions about disabilities, but I'm not aware of any law that would prevent an employer from asking a question about sexual harassment accusations, or criminal convictions, or anything else, during the interview process.

But if you're going to ask, you probably should make sure to ask every applicant. Asking sensitive questions only of certain applicants (such as only asking women about childcare arrangements, or African-Americans about whether they've been convicted of crimes) can be used as evidence of discrimination.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I WAS SAYING CROCS!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not saying that you can always judge a book by its cover, but he looks like a guy who you wouldn't want to be alone with.,
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Saw a headline earlier today, saying something like "AP report points to possibility that restaurant industry rampant with sexual harassment." Something like that...

NO SHIT.

I think that once you got past entertainment, I would have said the restaurant biz would be neck and neck with politics and wall street for harassment... If you'd asked me a couple years ago, I wouldn't have known to through silicon valley in there, as well.

And prior to all this, I really would've been incredulous if you'd pointed out the Non-Fox News media as being so chock full of assholes.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I feel like the two other places where people are internally debating whether to do a similar push, for fear of what they'd find upending their perceptions too much, are:

1. Music
2. Sports
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I feel like the two other places where people are internally debating whether to do a similar push, for fear of what they'd find upending their perceptions too much, are:

1. Music
2. Sports

Women reporters have detailed so many cases of sexual harassment already over the years I'm not too sure anything would really move the needle too much there (sadly). Though maybe because of that it's actually not as bad as you might think now? I suppose that's not impossible.

It's not quite the same for music, but I think both of those fields (music and sports) have had sexual harassment become so normalized that it would take something REALLY big to move the needle very much compared to politics or media, etc.

(None of that is an excuse or justification for something that's completely unacceptable -- just an observation.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Damn Ike.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I know it's tough to quit a job, but shit that's a lot of stuff she put up with to keep working there. I hope she lodged complaints every time something happened.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Should be a fun day at work for a couple of my friends (not named in the suit). Also, might be a fun day for Heath Evans' girlfriend (if they're still together), who I am working with on my current project.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Should be a fun day at work for a couple of my friends (not named in the suit). Also, might be a fun day for Heath Evans' girlfriend (if they're still together), who I am working with on my current project.

Girlfriend, huh? So is he divorced or having sex outside of marriage?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Should be a fun day at work for a couple of my friends (not named in the suit). Also, might be a fun day for Heath Evans' girlfriend (if they're still together), who I am working with on my current project.

Girlfriend, huh? So is he divorced or having sex outside of marriage?

Guessing divorced, but I don't know for certain.

A quick google search of "Heath Evans divorce" leads to some fun, like him claiming to have had his twitter account hacked when trying to pick up ladies back in 2012 and shutting down his foundation, which worked against sexual abuse (his wife was a victim as a child).

Him spending so much time in LA and her... not... was probably not helping matters.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I can't remember which thread where we discussed danger of alt right types weaponizing #metoo with false accusations, but the Schumer things falls squarely in that:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-cern ... -complaint

I hope Johnson or Cernovich are going down for this - love that Schumer quickly went to police and he and the former aide were able to substantiate the forgery from the jump...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Cernovich is a licensed attorney in California, and it was pretty easy getting his work address, phone, and at least one of his email addresses that are required to be public, so...
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good lord, this first person Hayak piece on Weinstein in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... p=cur&_r=0
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:Good lord, this first person Hayak piece on Weinstein in the Times:

Jeez...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote:Good lord, this first person Hayak piece on Weinstein in the Times:

Yeah...read that last night. Holy shit.

And...'Frida' was a great movie!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:

With Ratner, I believe.

THERE it is. Yep, that's right. I was too lazy to go look it up.

It's way worse than that now. 9 new accusations, including 4 of rape.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I guess not everything is great at ESPN.