Kevin Spacey's Career?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Kevin Spacey's Career?

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 pm Welcome man! If there is one thing Giff's place can always use, it’s another dick.
FTFY
Awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 am
rass wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 pm Welcome man! If there is one thing Giff's place can always use, it’s another dick.
FTFY
Awesome.
On father's day when Giff posted a pic on FB with his two beautiful daughters, I was going to comment, NOW THAT'S A THREESOME. Then I re-read it, reconsidered and just liked the picture.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am
FTFY
Awesome.
On father's day when Giff posted a pic on FB with his two beautiful daughters, I was going to comment, NOW THAT'S A THREESOME. Then I re-read it, reconsidered and just liked the picture.
While funny, I appreciate your restraint.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:55 am
FTFY
Awesome.
I’ve met Mrs. Giff. I couldn’t do that to her.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:55 am
FTFY
Awesome.
I’ve met Mrs. Giff. I couldn’t do that to her.
I haven't met Mrs. Giff, but from the things I see on Facebook, she seems like quite the catch and counterpart to Mr. Giff. Nice work boys.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Oh yeah, I'm punching way above my weight class in more ways than one.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Chris Hardwick story... I stated really early on that I had some filters or guidelines on these things, and this one smelled a little funny to me from the jump.

Criteria
1) People come out and corroborate the story the victim is putting forth. She relayed the bad stuff to someone or multiple folks in "real time," and they in turn show up in the stories done by reputable journalists fact checking the story.

2) The reputable journalist part, that's a thing. This whole posting a bunch of stuff on Insta, and we're just supposed to take the person's word?

3) Almost as big a deal as #1... Other women come out of the woodwork and tell their own story of what shitbird dude was...

None of these boxes are checked with Hardwick.

https://uproxx.com/news/chris-hardwick- ... legations/

And now, in addition to his wife, other women are coming out saying... Hey, wait a fucking minute, this guy was good to me.

We really need people to be more questioning with this stuff. This one really was problematic on a lot of levels.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can’t everyone be telling the truth here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:17 pm Can’t everyone be telling the truth here?
My first thought too.

But I know none of these people and only have a perception of them from TV and internet land.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:41 pm We really need people to be more questioning with this stuff. This one really was problematic on a lot of levels.
We do have to watch that the pendulum doesn't swing to far in one direction. But, let's remember that the whole #MeToo movement began because the pendulum was swung so far in the opposite direction.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Multiple writers for Nerdist responded to the company's actions (see here for full article) in tweets. Here's one:

There is a thread coming from that tweet and she states she has never had personal interaction with Hardwick, but has been told several things.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah. Without saying he definitely did or didn't ... I'm sure there are lots of women who Roethlisberger didn't rape within hours of meeting them. One or more negatives don't prove all negatives.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:20 am Yeah. Without saying he definitely did or didn't ... I'm sure there are lots of women who Roethlisberger didn't rape within hours of meeting them. One or more negatives don't prove all negatives.
These are women who spent multiple years as his partner.

I get, and have been very vocal in support of the MeToo movement. But this particular case is very problematic for the reasons I stated above. I'm fine frying people in the court of public opinion (chucking "due process" out the window), but there needs to be a pause button on this stuff. Saying a guy is a piece of trash, I heard from others... That's sketchy as fuck.

Ultimately, Hardwick is gonna be "fine." But I'm not OK with just tar and feather approach without SOME of the usual reporting/corroboration going on.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I almost posted something about this a week or so ago (but I was on my phone and it was a pain). He's had three or four long-time girlfriends come out in support of him, including (I think) the girlfriends just before and after the accuser. From reading her story - the way he quickly set up very strict rules, publicly abused her, raped her, etc. - it's really hard to believe that she's the only person he'd done that to. It just doesn't add up. I mean, people are complicated and anything's possible, but this definitely seems like a case where she's giving a very slanted version of this story. That's not to say he wasn't a dick to her or that their relationship wasn't fucked up, but if it were all his fault, it's hard to understand why other ex-girlfriends are taking his side.

I take the Tweets from current Nerdist writers with a giant grain of salt since A) they had just read that awful story about him, B) he sold the company in 2012, and C) he apparently has had nothing to do with Nerdist for 2+ years. It's quite likely that these people have never actually met or worked with him.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What a disaster, bro!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Yuck. What happened with Craig Carton's criminal case? What a bizarre story that was.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... on-1129835

Hardwick back to Talking Dead after investigation.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

CNN reporting Kevin Spacey's new movie made $126 on Friday and $162 on Saturday for a two-day total of just $287. Now the movie did go VOD first.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Asia Argento
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bourdain's girlfriend, no?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep, and Weinstein victim. Apparently she had a mother/son relationship with a kid that was in a movie of hers, and that relationship turned sexual while he was 17, and there's been a payout from her to him. NYT was on it.
Last edited by govmentchedda on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yes, they met on an episode he was shooting in Rome.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am Yep, and Weinstein victim. Apparently she had a mother/son relationship with a kid that was in a movie of hers, and that relationship turned sexual while he was 17, and there's been a payout from her to him. NYT was on it.
Hate that this will be used by mouth breathers to try to discredit the #metoo movement.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am Yep, and Weinstein victim. Apparently she had a mother/son relationship with a kid that was in a movie of hers, and that relationship turned sexual while he was 17, and there's been a payout from her to him. NYT was on it.
Hate that this will be used by mouth breathers to try to discredit the #metoo movement.
It should be seen as proof that it shouldn't be discredited, IMO.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 am
C’mon. If there’s ever been a group that’s been given the short end of the stick in society, it’s men. Especially white men here in America.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't expect Sigur Ros to get mixed up in this, but since 2018 is another huge ball of suck...

Kudos to the band for kicking him out though, even if they couched it as a "resignation".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm Really just this year?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/05/under-a ... isits.html
Heh, I have a friend who is a high-level sales guy for the largest brewery in America. He would take the purchasers from pro sports stadiums and the like out for a good time to keep their business. I can't remember the actual figure, but he submitted an expense report from a strip club with the most ludicrous number, and the CFO called him in, gave him a high five for showing the clients a great time. Fortunately for him, the receipt wasn't itemized, because it included paying to bring two of the strippers back to his hotel and fuck them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Feel the ass Tyson

H/T The Kid Mero
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person’s vital spirit energy — the pulse. I’ve never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom I’ve developed new friendships.
Oh?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reading through everything, it feels like Aziz part 2.

Nerdy person without full range of realizing they might say or do something that's socially awkward does it and the woman feels disgusted by it. But why it's brought up years later and couched as "assault"? Terrible.

I've known plenty of engineering and nerdy types in my life. There's a lack of awareness there. Like the person just wasn't taught or can't delineate what makes someone uncomfortable. They are either too afraid to talk to a woman or when they do they stumble badly into a cringey scenario or go full incel and hate women.

This seems like an opportunist taking advantage of the wide range of the Me Too movement.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am Reading through everything, it feels like Aziz part 2.

Nerdy person without full range of realizing they might say or do something that's socially awkward does it and the woman feels disgusted by it. But why it's brought up years later and couched as "assault"? Terrible.

I've known plenty of engineering and nerdy types in my life. There's a lack of awareness there. Like the person just wasn't taught or can't delineate what makes someone uncomfortable. They are either too afraid to talk to a woman or when they do they stumble badly into a cringey scenario or go full incel and hate women.

This seems like an opportunist taking advantage of the wide range of the Me Too movement.
I hate to agree... but I agree.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So, do newspapers just have a group of people who are just assigned a celebrity, they run the traps and kick the tires and see if anything turns up and then move to the next one or are these all coming from people who reached out to the paper?

I'm never talking to a woman at work again.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am Reading through everything, it feels like Aziz part 2.

I hate to agree... but I agree.
Trust me. I hate to say it out loud. (Or write it out and face the potential backlash of being taken out of context as "supporting" sexual assault.)

I think about the lieutenant I had in my office that recently went to another base. The man was exceptionally smart. He spoke and read Arabic fluently. Doing tasks was very simple. His mind always found the most optimal way of doing anything. He was very, very kind. Never said anything bad about anyone. I trust that dude with anything and I barely trust anyone.

But he could not read social cues. Just couldn't. Let's say you and someone were talking. He'd walk up to the both of you, remain silent, and listen suggesting he had to interject. But no. He'd just stand there and stare for an unreasonable amount of time at both of you. When it got too awkward and someone inevitably engaged he'd be like "Oh, I don't have anything to add." But would continue to stand there.

Extrapolate that into a dating atmosphere. How awkward is he going to be around women? And how easily would his actions be misconstrued? The dude wouldn't harm a fly, but one awkward interaction and he'd be labeled an assaulter. It's shitty.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The one woman alleges he roofied her and then raped her. So... As far as allegations, this is much clearer cut than the Aziz situation.

I do agree that "searching for Pluto" is WAY too thin to throw in the mix. That said, almost regardless of which version of the Production Assistant you choose to believe... That was pretty classic harassment. He was married at the time, she had told him she had a fiance. They had no business going to his apartment and drinking and it was pretty clearly a power move with a shitty dynamic involved.

=-=-=

Not to split hairs, AB, but this isn't a "newspaper" thing. This is "just about anyone can call themselves a news outlet." I'm not saying the story isn't accurate, I'm just saying this isn't about some bigger plot by The Media to go after all male celebrities. Not saying you're saying that, exactly, but it seems implied.

This story has been trying to get out for at least 4 years. This woman confronted him publicly before and has written about it at least 3 times. I'm not familiar with the site that broke this, "Patheos," but it seems like this woman has been trying to get this version of events out there for awhile and MSM hasn't been willing to touch it.

And I'm pretty sure you're safe. Just don't ask a subordinate up to your apt/hotel room and talk about needing a physical release. You can do it! I have faith...
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

I'm not sure it's the same comparison. Tyson is in the public eye, does countless interviews and runs a very entertaining podcast where his co host is usually a comedian. He's also 60 years old and married for 30 years. i don't think he's socially awkward simply because of his profession. He's extremely cool.

He's not Anseri who is 30 and single, with girls wanting to date him outside of the work environment and giving him mixed signals.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If we're gonna make baseless assumptions about the parties involved here, then I say that handshake excuse is as lame as it is creepy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 am The one woman alleges he roofied her and then raped her. So... As far as allegations, this is much clearer cut than the Aziz situation.
I should point out that I was unaware of the rape allegation. I only read about the other two claims.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wait, there was rape allegations too? Oy vey. Let me read up on this.

Edit:

Well, shit. I don't know how I missed that part. I don't know what to believe.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.