Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

Image
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5606
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by govmentchedda » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am

For some reason, this pod spends at least the first hour talking about the Japanese soldier who continued to fight the war in the jungles of the Philippines for 29 years, and not my grandfather. 1 out of 5 stars.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am

New podcast from Jon Favreau called The Wilderness is out.



It'll be 15 total podcasts. The first 4 have posted.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by bfj » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am

I'm two episodes into the 30 for 30 podcast about Bikram Choudry and his empire. Pretty good so far.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7279
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by degenerasian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am
New podcast from Jon Favreau called The Wilderness is out.

It'll be 15 total podcasts. The first 4 have posted.
Starting it now. This should be good as I really like Favreau.
I'm glad this is separated because I can't stand Pod Save America. I like Favreau and think he is fair but not his two co-hosts.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am
New podcast from Jon Favreau called The Wilderness is out.

It'll be 15 total podcasts. The first 4 have posted.
Starting it now. This should be good as I really like Favreau.
I'm glad this is separated because I can't stand Pod Save America. I like Favreau and think he is fair but not his two co-hosts.
I listen to Lovett or Leave It too and finally for the first time in what seems like ever, a person in his show completely disagreed with a pro Hillary stance Lovett took.

She brought up that institutional racism knows no one party and that if Republicans are defeated inevitably Democrat flavored racism will rule. She gave an example that a particular proposition passed in LA to give money to build some homes for the homeless. The city council, mayor, and others redirected that money to the police department.

Lovett was speechless. The crowd went silent. It was good to finally hear someone say something and pop their little bubble for a moment.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:10 am

Re: Podcasts

Post by Moreta » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

She brought up that institutional racism knows no one party and that if Republicans are defeated inevitably Democrat flavored racism will rule. She gave an example that a particular proposition passed in LA to give money to build some homes for the homeless. The city council, mayor, and others redirected that money to the police department.

Lovett was speechless. The crowd went silent. It was good to finally hear someone say something and pop their little bubble for a moment.
Apparently they cut the audio from that show when that person confessed she voted for Jill Stein. I didn’t hear it but supposedly it was... very tense.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Moreta wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:44 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

She brought up that institutional racism knows no one party and that if Republicans are defeated inevitably Democrat flavored racism will rule. She gave an example that a particular proposition passed in LA to give money to build some homes for the homeless. The city council, mayor, and others redirected that money to the police department.

Lovett was speechless. The crowd went silent. It was good to finally hear someone say something and pop their little bubble for a moment.
Apparently they cut the audio from that show when that person confessed she voted for Jill Stein. I didn’t hear it but supposedly it was... very tense.
The one constant throughout the Crooked Media owned podcasts is scapegoating anyone who voted for a 3rd party.

3rd party voters have existed for a very long while (didn't a 3rd party vote help Clinton win?), so while the numbers may help the case, the vast majority of non voters exceed that.

Not to mention only 72k voters across Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan swung the election. The Electoral College is well passed the point of its purpose.

Not to mention, no matter how well qualified Hillary was, she was a loathed politician, preordained to ascend after Obama. I've worked for commanders with excellent credentials but we're awful humans.

Anyway, I say that to say, I would love to hear that audio.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Joe K » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Also, I’ve made this point before but it’s a very shaky assumption to presume that Clinton would have benefited if no one voted for third parties. Gary Johnson got a ton more votes than Jill Stein and given his conservative economic policies I think most Johnson voters would’ve chosen Trump over Clinton. So blaming third party voters for Trump has never made any sense to me.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Joe K wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Also, I’ve made this point before but it’s a very shaky assumption to presume that Clinton would have benefited if no one voted for third parties. Gary Johnson got a ton more votes than Jill Stein and given his conservative economic policies I think most Johnson voters would’ve chosen Trump over Clinton. So blaming third party voters for Trump has never made any sense to me.
I agree. Johnson was libertarian. From knowing people who claimed being libertarian (I played that game once), they were basically Republicans with a punk rock streak. For legal weed. For gay marriage. But they were Republicans in every other sense.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm
degenerasian wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am
New podcast from Jon Favreau called The Wilderness is out.

It'll be 15 total podcasts. The first 4 have posted.
Starting it now. This should be good as I really like Favreau.
I'm glad this is separated because I can't stand Pod Save America. I like Favreau and think he is fair but not his two co-hosts.
I listen to Lovett or Leave It too and finally for the first time in what seems like ever, a person in his show completely disagreed with a pro Hillary stance Lovett took.

She brought up that institutional racism knows no one party and that if Republicans are defeated inevitably Democrat flavored racism will rule. She gave an example that a particular proposition passed in LA to give money to build some homes for the homeless. The city council, mayor, and others redirected that money to the police department.

Lovett was speechless. The crowd went silent. It was good to finally hear someone say something and pop their little bubble for a moment.
This is why I stopped listening to all of the Crooked Media shows.

Yes, the Trump GOP hatred is entertaining, but they are real polyannas when it comes to the inherent goodness of the Democratic party.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by bfj » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

ESPN’s 30 for 30 on Bikram Choudhury is pretty good so far.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7279
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by degenerasian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 am

The Fourth Episode of the The Wilderness is really good.

It's from the Voters point of view. What does the Democratic Party stand for?
Voters want to be more progressive, more brave and stand up for these ideas.

and Democrats have abandoned red states, there are democrats who live there and they feel ignored.
For example, why has the democratic party totally dismissed southern Christians like religion is a bad word. Or liberal gun owners?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 am

S-Town - which many of us listened to and seemingly had the same reaction to - is being sued.

The lawsuit claims S-Town failed to secure John McLemore’s consent before airing his private life to the world.
In the episode, Reed defends his choice to air off-the-record information about McLemore and the alleged identity of another closeted, married man who still lives in Woodstock. Reed cites three reasons: First, he’s had on-the-record corroboration from other people about the substance of McLemore’s off-the-record comments. Second, he feels that the information McLemore shared led to a greater understanding of who he was, “and I think trying to understand another person is a worthwhile thing to do.” And third, since McLemore is an atheist, he doesn’t believe in afterlife repercussions, so according to his own belief, he’s dead and buried and can’t be hurt by any of this information.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

Chris_L
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Chris_L » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm
New Hardcore History OUT NOW!

Supernova in the East I - Asia Pacific War between 1937-1945

My grandfather was there. Radar on B-29. Looking forward to it.
Image

This is podcast #62 for Hardcore History which also happens to be the Red Sox current Magic Number

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm
New Hardcore History OUT NOW!

Supernova in the East I - Asia Pacific War between 1937-1945

My grandfather was there. Radar on B-29. Looking forward to it.
I don;t know why I never listened to him before - maybe because they're 4 hours long?

Just spent 2 hours trimming the hedge and cleaning the yard while listening to this. It is outstanding. Everything you guys raved about is true.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Podcasts

Post by BSF21 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 am

Pruitt wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm
govmentchedda wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm
New Hardcore History OUT NOW!

Supernova in the East I - Asia Pacific War between 1937-1945

My grandfather was there. Radar on B-29. Looking forward to it.
I don;t know why I never listened to him before - maybe because they're 4 hours long?

Just spent 2 hours trimming the hedge and cleaning the yard while listening to this. It is outstanding. Everything you guys raved about is true.
Please pay for/go back and listen to Blueprint for Armageddon and Ghosts of the Ostfront.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am

BSF21 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 am

Please pay for/go back and listen to Blueprint for Armageddon and Ghosts of the Ostfront.
Will do!
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Square Rob
Brandt
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Square Rob » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 am

I first listened to his Rome opus, which was incredible. One of my favorite one-offs, which was something I knew nothing about, was the one about the Muenster Rebellion.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:33 am

On the current Pod Save America during an ad placement, I think they accepted my tweet to Lovett about a formal name for spinach and artichoke dip by calling it the Monterey. Castroville, in Monterey County, is the artichoke capital of the world.

I say think because they didn't mention my Twitter handle by name or my plea for them to come to Albuquerque.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Podcasts

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Both the latest Hardcore History, and a recent episode of The Dollop have talked about Hiroo Onada.

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Shirley » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 am

What podcast app do you guys recommend for iOS? I’ve always used the default app and it’s pretty mediocre.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 5367
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Podcasts

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

Shirley wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 am
What podcast app do you guys recommend for iOS? I’ve always used the default app and it’s pretty mediocre.
I am using Stitcher...pretty happy as I jump devices (echo, computer, phone, etc). has 2x play speed.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Podcasts

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 am

Shirley wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 am
What podcast app do you guys recommend for iOS? I’ve always used the default app and it’s pretty mediocre.
I use overcast.

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Shirley » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks. What drives me nuts is the lack of a visible queue of episodes that I'm listening too.

I subscribe to a number of different podcasts and don't listen to them in any particular order. I also often listen to different podcasts when one of my sons is in the car with me. We don't usually finish an episode in one ride, so I have to switch which podcast episode I'm listening too.

You'd think you could easily see what episodes you've recently listened to and haven't yet finished so you easily find and continue them. But I haven't found that in the Podcasts app.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm enjoying this soccer podcast:

https://gameofourlives.fm/
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5606
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 pm

I really like Pocketcasts app
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Like I mentioned in the other thread...Chapo Trap House. Holy crap.

It's like if Pod Save America if it was hosted by Ari Shaffir and Joe Rogan or something. It's raw unfiltered no bullshit talk from a liberal perspective.

I love it.

Why have I not heard about this sooner?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13664
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Podcasts

Post by brian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:41 pm

They would be offended by calling it a liberal prospective. It’s a socialist perspective. They have more vitriol for liberals than conservatives.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Whatever the correct words are I need to be schooled.

I'm just nodding and laughing about all of this. It's amazing.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:58 pm

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7279
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by degenerasian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 am

Johnnie wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm
Whatever the correct words are I need to be schooled.

I'm just nodding and laughing about all of this. It's amazing.
You should go back to the beginning and listen to the pre-election stuff. Episodes 1-60. They absolutely hammer Hillary.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by bfj » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:04 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 am
Johnnie wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm
Whatever the correct words are I need to be schooled.

I'm just nodding and laughing about all of this. It's amazing.
You should go...and...stuff...-...hammer Hillary.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 9503
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Podcasts

Post by The Sybian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:58 pm
That was brilliant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7279
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by degenerasian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:38 am

Serial is back. Season 3 starts Sept 20 and it's about common nothing cases in a Cleveland courtroom over a year and the shit that occurs in the justice system

https://serialpodcast.org
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Podcasts

Post by Johnnie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Apparently he gets high. I'll have to actually watch this one as opposed to listening via my app.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3522
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by Nonlinear FC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 am
Shirley wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 am
What podcast app do you guys recommend for iOS? I’ve always used the default app and it’s pretty mediocre.
I use overcast.
I know this is super random, but thank you! for this recommendation.

The iTunes app SUCKS compared to this. Also, my stupid as work phone has a block on Explicit content, but only on the iTunes app.

Fuck The Man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
EdRomero
Brandt
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by EdRomero » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Anyone else into season 3 of Serial? Lots of maddening cringe worthy stuff so far.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7279
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Podcasts

Post by degenerasian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:04 pm

EdRomero wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm
Anyone else into season 3 of Serial? Lots of maddening cringe worthy stuff so far.
Yeah Judge Gaul is nuts.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Podcasts

Post by DaveInSeattle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 pm

I've recently stumbled onto a podcast called 'Based On A True Story'. And, just like it sounds, it looks at supposedly factual movies, and compares them to the real story.

Its pretty dry, but still very interesting.

Post Reply