Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

bfj
Donny

Re: Podcasts

Post by bfj » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am

Pruitt wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 am
"The Dictators" looks at, well, dictators through history. I am currently listening to the 3rd of 4 parts on Tojo) and am learning a lot.
So funny. I just started this podcast yesterday with Kim Jong Il. Pretty good so far.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 pm

bfj wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am
Pruitt wrote:
"The Dictators" looks at, well, dictators through history. I am currently listening to the 3rd of 4 parts on Tojo) and am learning a lot.
So funny. I just started this podcast yesterday with Kim Jong Il. Pretty good so far.
If you're a fan of the classic comedy "Withnail and I," it's sometimes hard not to smile when the narrator (who played "I" in the movie) is speaking.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:04 pm
bfj wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm
A lot of the time I'm listening, I'm not in a position to stop and add a show (driving, doing yardwork, whatever)... So I'll do a "best of" search to see if I can find something that I can't quite remember the name of the show.

"Dead Eyes" is a perfect example. It's about a rather marginal actor that was cast onto the show Band of Brothers, only to have Tom Hanks (director) view his audition tape and nix him because of his "dead eyes." It may sound like a weird premise, but he interviews a bunch of noteworthy actors on his journey to figure out how everything went down, and what to learn from it.

Really really interesting and fun. He's mostly made his way as a comedian, so even though it could potentially veer into a dark place, he never really let's linger there.
From something you said in the television thread. I have tried listening to Smartless and it has potential, but the hosts spend so much time fellating the guest telling them how amazing they are that they never ask a question. When the three of them (Sean Hayes, Jason Bateman and Will Arnett) break each other’s ball, it’s funny. But that doesn’t happen enough to make me listen to their horrible interviews. The one they did w Conan is good.
It's very hit-or-miss... I think they'd benefit from addition by subtraction by getting rid of Sean Hayes. As in, if they went down the path of just letting Bateman and Arnett give each other shit AND give more space to do a decent interview...

I have definitely bailed on certain episodes. Especially ones where it's an athlete (Kershaw and then the hockey player, that is escaping me.) Blech. Constant fellatio, no questions.
It was Brendan Shanahan. Interesting, I never bothered with any of the athlete episodes. They aren't really interviews, more conversations. The (pointless) gimmick is that one host invites a guest to surprise the other 2, so they can't prepare any questions, so you are never going to get an interview out of it. I'll agree, Hayes detracts more than he adds, but I do love when he interjects and explains something so his sister in Wisconsin understands the reference. I think the Ricky Gervais episode was the best I've listened to, but I love Gervais, and I think most people probably don't. Speaking of Gervais, I highly recommend his Netflix show Afterlife. He plays a guy who has given up on life after his wife dies, but can't kill himself because the dog walks in and looks sad. It's a bit dark at times, but in a heartwarming way, with a couple zany characters along the way.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm

bfj wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am
Pruitt wrote:
Sold. I was just thinking I need either a serial podcast or an educational one. Really bored with celebrity interviews lately.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:41 pm

In the Chuck Yeager thread there was a tweet about how he fucked over Ed Dwight from being the first black astronaut.

He's the guest on the latest Larry Wilmore podcast Black on the Air.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 am

Dan Carlin dropped a Common Sense podcast.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Square Rob
Brandt

Post by Square Rob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 am

Excellent.

I’ve been listening to BBC In Our Time: History
45min or so blocks about random historical items. Interesting and informative if you can get past the upper crust British accents. The host does a decent job of challenging his guests on their points to make sure we are capturing what we can know and what points are surmised.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am

Square Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:18 am
Excellent.

I’ve been listening to BBC In Our Time: History
45min or so blocks about random historical items. Interesting and informative if you can get past the upper crust British accents. The host does a decent job of challenging his guests on their points to make sure we are capturing what we can know and what points are surmised.
This podcast is fantastic to fall asleep to. It's good to listen to normally as well, but the accents are almost ASMR like, and if you can find an episode that you're not interested in the subject matter, it's better than melatonin.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.