Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Podcasts

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:And clearly, this calls for a Google Hangout. Duh.
Yeah, I do Google hangout podcasts when the Kickball Circuit people invite me. I'M SO COOL!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

bfj wrote:
testy boxcar wrote:NORM MACDONALD HAS A PODCAST!?!?!?!?
#6 on the comedy charts right now. And don't yell at me.
THERE ARE CHARTS?!?!?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Must. Listen. This is either going to be fantastic or a complete train wreck. Or both at the same time. This thread has some fantastic suggestions, but is going to kill my reading/book listening.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Three more that I don't believe I've read yet:

Christopher Titus
Joe Rogan
Penn Jillette's Sunday School
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

bfj wrote:
Scottie wrote:
Assuming many of us have the ability to record ourselves, this is what I had in mind. Something a bit more formal; consider this to be drawings on a white board. Four or five guys each record a four or five (or what have you) minute segment. On whatever topic they want; wide open and a blank canvas. Record in MP3 format. Then one guy "hosts" (and that can be rotating); it would be hosted in a radio format. And we stream it and make it also available for download/podcast convenience streaming. But the first streaming will be at an appointed hour and go "live" like Swamp Radio.

In a completely hypothetical world (stress "hypothetical"), it would sound like this:

Let's say, only for example, one of us was hosting the fist episode. (Remember this is all MP3s stacked up just like Swamp Radio used to be)

1. Opening remarks, comments, free space
2. Swamper Podcast recording #1
3. Host. Intro the next recording.
4. Swamper Podcast recording #2
5. Host. Intro the next recording.
6. Swamper Podcast recording #3
7. Host. Intro the next recording.

. . . and so on. Again, a blank canvas. We can add tunes in there, anything in there. Even recorded Skype conversations, scripted or otherwise, between the lads works as a segment, eh?

My reason for that framework is so Swampers can craft bits for the podcast. And, as with authoring a post, it gives the author time to edit/refine themselves before posting. The thing about a phone call is all of the uhmmms and uhhhhs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in our context. But we really could some up with a slick "show" if we put some effort in to it. I'll volunteer to help in any way.

Who knows? It might even result in an increase in membership.
I like the storytelling/commentary idea. Maybe there is someway to combine the two ideas. A live Swampcast, with recorded bits inserted in between segments. I don't know. The live Swampcasts were entertaining. There were some pretty funny interactions on them.
I would be interested on a part time basis, if you think I had anything worth adding. I already have all the equipment needed (I think), since I still do some college hockey play-by-play here. For my part, I would stick with sports commentary.

Sidebar: I have been doing Williston State College Hockey the past two seasons, and this year they won the National JUCO Tournament in Rochester, NY, after losing the Title game last year. Now, that was a kick to broadcast! 3-2 over Monroe CC (Host team)in Championship game with wining goal scored with 3 minutes left.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

SportsDoc wrote:I would be interested on a part time basis, if you think I had anything worth adding. I already have all the equipment needed (I think), since I still do some college hockey play-by-play here. For my part, I would stick with sports commentary.

Sidebar: I have been doing Williston State College Hockey the past two seasons, and this year they won the National JUCO Tournament in Rochester, NY, after losing the Title game last year. Now, that was a kick to broadcast! 3-2 over Monroe CC (Host team)in Championship game with wining goal scored with 3 minutes left.
Fantastic, mate. Rush and I were just now on the phone and talked about how to make this happen. That is ideal. And it would be everyone on a part-time basis, eh? Even if we got 2-minute clips once a month from guys, that would be brilliant.

Blank canvas, talk about whatever you want. As blank a canvas as a Swamp post text field.

Just based on quite a number of PMs and phone calls alone, there certainly is some serious interest. Would I tune in to whatever SportsDoc had to say on a Swampcast/SwampRadio? Hell, yes. In a heartbeat. Straight away.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There's a thing called Google Hangout?

Yea, I could ramble about Korea. I could have done this weekly over the last year. That sounds fun.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote:Three more that I don't believe I've read yet:

Christopher Titus
Joe Rogan
Penn Jillette's Sunday School

I listened to Rogan for quite some time, but I just can't listen to anything for 2 hours (or whenever he decides to stop.) And, IMO, there are just too many times when they get down some drug/psychotropic tangent that just doesn't interest me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I loved the old Swampcast conversations. Johnnie, Bronto and everyone who joined in really did a great job. But the thought of the free form blank slate submissions with a host is incredibly intriguing. I'd love to see what people throw out there. Short form poetry reading? Why not? Discussion of National JUCO hockey championship game? Hell yeah, where else am I going to get a first hand account of that? I love it. And we could always throw in old school style Swampcast hour long conversation as well. This could be a really cool new format for the Swamp. Plus, everyone is free to submit whatever the hell they want to whenever they want.
-Pruitt
oilcanboyd
Jackie Treehorn

Post by oilcanboyd »

The Sybian wrote:
Must. Listen. This is either going to be fantastic or a complete train wreck. Or both at the same time. This thread has some fantastic suggestions, but is going to kill my reading/book listening.
And they're video podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCWiHJYoHWyO56dlo_vjTleA
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Last edited by Brontoburglar on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Do you talk about anything other than cars driving in circles?
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Do you talk about anything other than cars driving in circles?
I would hope someone could not know about NASCAR and still be entertained. We're definitely not talking about race strategy, but rather how gross the gum was that sponsored one of the cars this weekend.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:I loved the old Swampcast conversations. Johnnie, Bronto and everyone who joined in really did a great job. But the thought of the free form blank slate submissions with a host is incredibly intriguing. I'd love to see what people throw out there. Short form poetry reading? Why not? Discussion of National JUCO hockey championship game? Hell yeah, where else am I going to get a first hand account of that? I love it. And we could always throw in old school style Swampcast hour long conversation as well. This could be a really cool new format for the Swamp. Plus, everyone is free to submit whatever the hell they want to whenever they want.
Swamp Poetry Slam! (Oh, heavens, no!)

I, too, like the blank canvas idea. Swampers can fast-forward over my Celtic guitar segment. Okay, I'm kidding, I would not inflict that on anyone. Maybe some blues though. Or Jazz. Or a babbling rant.

Anything goes, right? From a Food Network style "how to" recipe to summing up whatever happened to Blackpool this season to anything else under the sun. I think it will be a lot of fun.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

So, how many swampers have voices made for radio vs faces made for radio?

I certainly have the latter...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm fucking handsome as hell but I'll stoop to radio to get in on this.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

devilfluff wrote:So, how many swampers have voices made for radio vs faces made for radio?

Good question. Most Swampers with whom I have spoken know that I sound like a drop-down Leonard Cohen Roger Waters Tom Waits FM Radio range as recorded by Jim Jarmusch after polishing off a bar's entire stock and in grainy disolve black and white. Lull, lull, lull, now here's some David "Honeyboy" Edwards. I could out-narrate the fuck out of that Morgan Freeman guy. Documentaries about penguins? Yeah. They picked the wrong dude.

In fact, I'd describe my voice as James Earl Jones after a week-long bender, waking up still drunk, and trying to describe concentric revenge circles in Hamlet while tuning a 12-string about to play some Delta blues.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Scottie wrote:
devilfluff wrote:So, how many swampers have voices made for radio vs faces made for radio?

Good question. Most Swampers with whom I have spoken know that I sound like a drop-down Leonard Cohen Roger Waters Tom Waits FM Radio range as recorded by Jim Jarmusch after polishing off a bar's entire stock and in grainy disolve black and whitre. Lull, lull, lull, now here's some David "Honeyboy" Edwards. I could out-narrate the fuck out of that Morgan Freeman guy. Documentaries about penguins? Yeah. They picked the wrong dude.

In fact, I'd describe my voice as James Earl Jones after a week-long bender, waking up still drunk, and trying to describe concentric revenge circles in Hamlet while tuning a 12-string about to play some Delta blues.
I think I know who about 3 of those people are...

I've been told I have a pleasant phone voice, so I'd assume it would carry over to radio. Certainly not at the depths Scottie is rocking, though.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

My voice sucks but I still podcast like a mofe.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If there's a hick demographic to reach, let me know.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Radio makes my voice sound fat.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:Radio makes my voice sound fat.

My fat makes my voice sound fat.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

bfj wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Radio makes my voice sound fat.
My fat makes my voice sound fat.
Can you harmonize? If so, you can be the back-up chorus hmmmmmmyeah. You know, those Rita Marley type chicks. I'm not accusing you of being Jamaican, Not at all. And I had you figured as a part of the band for a synchronized dance "collective sexual interest". That "Oooo yeah!" element.

In fact, "Collective Sexual Interest" should probably be our band's name. For sure. Or "The Collective Sexual Interest", just so we don't get those CSI initials confused; probably some copyright in there, maybe.

Howard plays a mean bass. Yes.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'd gladly offer my services of 8 chord rhythm guitar I've learned over the last 10 years of playing. I'm no Max...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Adam Carolla. I know a lot of folks don't like him, but he is actually unbelievably good at what he does with this format. I also like the others on his team. If nothing else, try to find the episode where David Allen Grier came on and did a Teddy Pendergrass "impersonation." It's possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
Speaking of Carolla....here he is, making an ass out of himself with Bill O'Reilly...

Carolla on the non-existant "Co-Exist" sticker on the Boston Bomber's car....
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The hijacked car was a damaged Honda? Really? Pfffft. These guys are amateurs compared to my wife. That's not even close to how you fuck up a Honda.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:The hijacked car was a damaged Honda? Really? Pfffft. These guys are amateurs compared to my wife. That's not even close to how you fuck up a Honda.

No, the car with the Coexist sticker was a Honda (actually a Mazda), the hijacked car was a Mercedes SUV, but they look the same. Why ruin a hilarious joke that someone who wants people of all religions to get along got carjacked by a Muslim be ruined by insignificant facts, like the fact that it didn't happen? Just out of curiosity, but even if this did happen, how is it funny?
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've recently started listening to the WTF podcasts again. I've learned to skip the part where Maron rants about whatever at the beginning and just get right to the interview. I've heard some really great ones lately...like the episodes with John Fogerty, Cheech and Chong, David Sedaris, and Nick Cave. All really interesting.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

AussieDave wrote:I've recently started listening to the WTF podcasts again. I've learned to skip the part where Maron rants about whatever at the beginning and just get right to the interview. I've heard some really great ones lately...like the episodes with John Fogerty, Cheech and Chong, David Sedaris, and Nick Cave. All really interesting.
Check out Dave Grohl and J. Mascis also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's just debuted (the second episode came out today), but if you have interest in the entertainment industry and stories about it, I would recommend "Industry Standard w/Barry Katz". Katz is the manager of Jay Mohr (and others) and has been a guest on Jay's podcast multiple times.

In any case, I listened to the first episode last night where Katz interviewed Doug Herzog, who has headed Fox, USA, MTV, and Comedy Central during his career. The two told several great stories ranging from Dave Chappelle walking away from his show to the creation of "Remote Control" to a hilarious anecdote about Craig Kilborn's first meeting about hosting "The Daily Show".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

If you have even a slight interest in pro wrestling, you need to start listening to Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcasts. He's an impressive interviewer. I especially enjoyed his podcasts with Lance Storm, Terry Funk, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Tim White. White was a long-time WWF/E referee, and also traveled with Andre the Giant for many years. His stories about Andre are fantastic.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:If you have even a slight interest in pro wrestling, you need to start listening to Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcasts. He's an impressive interviewer. I especially enjoyed his podcasts with Lance Storm, Terry Funk, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Tim White. White was a long-time WWF/E referee, and also traveled with Andre the Giant for many years. His stories about Andre are fantastic.
Austin has been on Carolla's podcast a couple times and is one of his better guests. They've had him ad lib some public service announcements (the first was when it was announced knives would be allowed back on planes) where he speaks in a quiet, calm voice with soft piano music in the background. Simply hilarious to hear him calmly recommend packing a knife on your flight because you never know "what some crazy bastard is gonna do."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Interestingly enough, Carolla is Austin's guest on his latest podcast. I haven't listened to it yet.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Irish national broadcaster RTE has an incredible archive of documentaries that are available as podcasts. (Even one on Bloomsday...)

Listened to this one today http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio ... o-far.html a great, true story about two kids who on a whim went from their home near Dublin to New York City for the price of a bus ticket.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

From the Blatant Self-Promotion Department:

If you are interested in Syracuse football or, just want to throw a click and a listen a fellow Swamper's way...

http://sujuiceonline.com/2013/08/22/ade ... ojections/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since Andrea Adelson is not a Swamper (to the best of my knowledge), the self-promoting part starts at the 6:55 mark.

Commence mocking..... now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote:It's just debuted (the second episode came out today), but if you have interest in the entertainment industry and stories about it, I would recommend "Industry Standard w/Barry Katz". Katz is the manager of Jay Mohr (and others) and has been a guest on Jay's podcast multiple times.

In any case, I listened to the first episode last night where Katz interviewed Doug Herzog, who has headed Fox, USA, MTV, and Comedy Central during his career. The two told several great stories ranging from Dave Chappelle walking away from his show to the creation of "Remote Control" to a hilarious anecdote about Craig Kilborn's first meeting about hosting "The Daily Show".

What a recommendation. This pod is great. It's got a nice formula, the guests are entertaining. The host is well connected Great stuff.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:It's just debuted (the second episode came out today), but if you have interest in the entertainment industry and stories about it, I would recommend "Industry Standard w/Barry Katz". Katz is the manager of Jay Mohr (and others) and has been a guest on Jay's podcast multiple times.

What a recommendation. This pod is great. It's got a nice formula, the guests are entertaining. The host is well connected Great stuff.
Yeah, been faithfully listening every Monday since DSafe posted. None of the guests names meant anything to me, but every one of them has been a big industry insider with an amazing story. Each one has a great, feel good story about a guy with no connections hitting the Hollywood jackpot by forcing their way in the door. It's actually pretty inspirational.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:

Yeah, been faithfully listening every Monday since DSafe posted. None of the guests names meant anything to me, but every one of them has been a big industry insider with an amazing story. Each one has a great, feel good story about a guy with no connections hitting the Hollywood jackpot by forcing their way in the door. It's actually pretty inspirational.
I guess as Barry says to close it out, "If you like the podcast, tell your friends. If you don't like it, tell your friends."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:From the Blatant Self-Promotion Department:

If you are interested in Syracuse football or, just want to throw a click and a listen a fellow Swamper's way...

http://sujuiceonline.com/2013/08/22/ade ... ojections/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since Andrea Adelson is not a Swamper (to the best of my knowledge), the self-promoting part starts at the 6:55 mark.

Commence mocking..... now.

The team should print up "Toward the Middle" t-shirts.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.