Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Podcasts

Post by bfj »

Well put. It's a podcast about how Reagan and the GOP created a lot more poverty and demonized black people even more. Then it ties tragic deaths of black basketball players into it. He was a great guest on Conan's podcast though.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just started Cocaine and Rhinestones and it's great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:24 am Well put. It's a podcast about how Reagan and the GOP created a lot more poverty and demonized black people even more. Then it ties tragic deaths of black basketball players into it. He was a great guest on Conan's podcast though.
Yeah feel like I was sold one thing and got something else. And I am just not sure Adam M is the right voice for what he produced.

Yesterday I did the 2nd episode of American Prodigy (2nd series is Ken Griffey Jr.). They used Kid Sensational (I think that is his name) to help tell the story. Kid S was in Sir Mix-A-Lot's crew and is friends with Junior because they were both young Seattle phenoms at the same time. That seems odd but really worked.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

'Sensation'

I had his album.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Good Assassins - Hunting the Butcher is pretty damn good. Even though not all who wear swastikas are bad people according to some on this board, The Butcher of Latvia was a pretty huge asshole.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1558899516
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anybody listen to Opening Arguments with Andrew Torrez and Thomas Smith? It's a really good lawyerly podcast for people who don't speak legalese.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hoping someone can help me remember the name of a podcast. Pretty sure it was brought up here. I thought it was part of Conan O'Brien's podcast network, but it was a satire documentary series where an eccentric billionaire would invest in a company. The first one was about a company that was like an Airbnb for pools and the algorithm turned racist. Driving me nuts, and I can't find anything.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Fall of Civilizations is really good

https://fallofcivilizationspodcast.com/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

PAGING AB!

Actually, most of you guys on Twitter probably follow this guy anyways...

Rex Chapman has a new podcast out, called "Charges with Rex Chapman." First ep, he turns the focus on himself and has Michael Rappaport interview him on his being arrested for stealing/shoplifting and opioid drug addiction that preceded it. I, honestly, had no idea about any of that and found it fascinating. Even if you're fully aware, I get the impression he hasn't talked about it much, so...

I just finished listening to the Meta World Peace Artest interview and it's pretty good. Ron is a thoughtful guy, just doesn't have the gift of gab, so not super insightful. But I KNOW he doesn't like talking about The Malace, so it was interesting to walk through that night. I will say, he's very self-aware about his mental health issues and why he was viewed the way he was, especially early in his career.

I forgot how young he was, having dipped St. Johns after just one year.

Upcoming eps include Ryan Leaf, Lamar Odom and Mike Vick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Baloney wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 am Fall of Civilizations is really good

https://fallofcivilizationspodcast.com/
THANKS!

I'm trying to break a cycle of Celebrity Interviews Celebrity, Comedians Talking to Other Comedians and True Crime.

I mean, those can be entertaining, I'm just trying to mix it up more. I'm over all the political shit...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:51 pm PAGING AB!

Rex Chapman has a new podcast out, called "Charges with Rex Chapman." First ep, he turns the focus on himself and has Michael Rappaport interview him on his being arrested for stealing/shoplifting and opioid drug addiction that preceded it. I, honestly, had no idea about any of that and found it fascinating. Even if you're fully aware, I get the impression he hasn't talked about it much, so...

I just finished listening to the Meta World Peace Artest interview and it's pretty good. Ron is a thoughtful guy, just doesn't have the gift of gab, so not super insightful. But I KNOW he doesn't like talking about The Malace, so it was interesting to walk through that night. I will say, he's very self-aware about his mental health issues and why he was viewed the way he was, especially early in his career.

Does he discuss all of the memes and videos that he steals online currently?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm

Does he discuss all of the memes and videos that he steals online currently?
Actually said today that he posts stuff that people send to him at this point... I didn't know he was pulling a Big Fat Jew act. I'm not a Twitter person.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He was @fatjew we aren’t related.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I thought it was @TheFatJewish.

But dude was ahead of his time though. Every memer borrows from every other memer. And they're all getting paid.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm I thought it was @TheFatJewish.

But dude was ahead of his time though. Every memer borrows from every other memer. And they're all getting paid.
Except for the ones who have their shit stolen and amplified by bigger accounts without attribution.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:44 pm He was @fatjew we aren’t related.
It's a common surname.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

His south beach session (Chapman's that is) goes into detail about the painkillers and stuff. It's very good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My bad, that was lazy attribution.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

chapman is a top 10 worst "sports" twitter account
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

With Kenny Mayne leaving ESPN I got enjoyed this

Also saw Seth Rogan and Chappelle are both launching podcasts.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 am Adam McKay has created a podcast called "Death at the Wing". Just heard him promote it. It is all about the late 70s/early 80s NBA players who died. 2 episodes are out. Second one is on Terry Furlow.
So I've been listening to this podcast when I have time and I thought the episode where they talk about Ricky Berry's suicide and his mental health issues was a particularly good episode. The discussion about Ron Artest/Meta World Peace (in this thread) made me think about it because they discussed how Artest being so open and honest about his mental health issues helped bring the issue of mental health and the NBA to the light.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:44 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 am Adam McKay has created a podcast called "Death at the Wing". Just heard him promote it. It is all about the late 70s/early 80s NBA players who died. 2 episodes are out. Second one is on Terry Furlow.
So I've been listening to this podcast when I have time and I thought the episode where they talk about Ricky Berry's suicide and his mental health issues was a particularly good episode. The discussion about Ron Artest/Meta World Peace (in this thread) made me think about it because they discussed how Artest being so open and honest about his mental health issues helped bring the issue of mental health and the NBA to the light.
I have never read Ricky Berry's story. How tragic.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

bfj wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:44 pm
I've enjoyed the podcast some (it's pretty good, not great). Looking forward to this week's episode, which is a roundtable with Chuck D and Bomani Jones.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Rogan:
“You can never be woke enough that’s the problem, it keeps going,” he explains. “It keeps going further and further down the line and if you get to the point where you capitulate, where you agree to all these demands, it’ll eventually get to straight white men are not allowed to talk, because it’s your privilege to express yourself when other people of color have been silenced throughout history.”
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just another GQPer playing the "victim" card. Fuck me if I'm ever complaining about how I get paid $100 million for my idiot opinions and then turn around and use that soapbox to complain about my opinions are being "silenced".
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Furthermore, I'd really like to hear about someone who was "cancelled" and didn't really deserve it.

Right-leaning, obviously. We all know that under their definition Kaepernick would qualify, even if they'd never admit it. Fucking pussies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:59 pm Furthermore, I'd really like to hear about someone who was "cancelled" and didn't really deserve it.

Right-leaning, obviously. We all know that under their definition Kaepernick would qualify, even if they'd never admit it. Fucking pussies.
Don't forget about the Dixie Chicks...They definitely got cancelled, 20 years before that became the term. Sinead O'Conner probably as well.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Subway Jared.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:53 pm Just another GQPer playing the "victim" card. Fuck me if I'm ever complaining about how I get paid $100 million for my idiot opinions and then turn around and use that soapbox to complain about my opinions are being "silenced".
Right and if you're not just some random podcaster trying to get by on Patreon donations and are earning a salary while expressing your freedom of speech from what ever huge media corporation I'm certain pays Rogan, you have absolutely no right not to be silenced.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 pm
brian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:53 pm Just another GQPer playing the "victim" card. Fuck me if I'm ever complaining about how I get paid $100 million for my idiot opinions and then turn around and use that soapbox to complain about my opinions are being "silenced".
Right and if you're not just some random podcaster trying to get by on Patreon donations and are earning a salary while expressing your freedom of speech from what ever huge media corporation I'm certain pays Rogan, you have absolutely no right not to be silenced.
I can see how that quote, out of context, sounds horrendous, but I actually listened to that episode, and it was hyperbole. Rogan says a lot of stupid shit, and he is aggregating at times because he buys into whatever his guest is saying whether it’s Dan Crenshaw, Bernie Sanders, Andrew Yang or Tulsi Gabbard. But calling him Q or GOP or Alt-Right is just ignorant and proves the attacks against the Left correct. Rogan is far from ideal, but he lets people on both sides speak freely for 3 hours, and there is tremendous value in that. When it comes to political issues, he isn’t educated enough to counter anyone, and he is easily be persuaded and isn’t looking to debate, but just listen. He is actually Liberal on 90% of issues, but the SJWs jump all over him for what his guests say. And I agree with the Right when they criticize the SJWs for silencing opposing speech. I’m all for consequences for voicing bad or hateful speech, but sunlight is the best way to kill bad ideas.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’d argue “letting people speak for three hours but being too dumb to counter” is actually really bad and should render someone unable to be influential, especially at like 50 years old.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 pm
I can see how that quote, out of context, sounds horrendous, but I actually listened to that episode, and it was hyperbole. Rogan says a lot of stupid shit, and he is aggregating at times because he buys into whatever his guest is saying whether it’s Dan Crenshaw, Bernie Sanders, Andrew Yang or Tulsi Gabbard. But calling him Q or GOP or Alt-Right is just ignorant and proves the attacks against the Left correct. Rogan is far from ideal, but he lets people on both sides speak freely for 3 hours, and there is tremendous value in that. When it comes to political issues, he isn’t educated enough to counter anyone, and he is easily be persuaded and isn’t looking to debate, but just listen. He is actually Liberal on 90% of issues, but the SJWs jump all over him for what his guests say. And I agree with the Right when they criticize the SJWs for silencing opposing speech. I’m all for consequences for voicing bad or hateful speech, but sunlight is the best way to kill bad ideas.
I would say it's getting less than 90% liberal view and decreasing. His view on the vaccine is irresponsible.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:16 pm I’d argue “letting people speak for three hours but being too dumb to counter” is actually really bad and should render someone unable to be influential, especially at like 50 years old.
Or just being dumb enough to think that Ben Shapiro, Alex Jones, Gavin McInnis, etc, are are "good people" that you happen to disagree with in some areas.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I agree with Syb on all of this. Dude has thousands of hours of podcasts with a massive array of guests. He's going to say something at some point that someone will disagree with. Even better if it's a snippet of a larger contextual point being made which means he's totally a GQP operative!

And while I don't condone his inviting on Alex Jones, he did push back on Steven Crowder and Ben Shapiro when he invited them on.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 am I agree with Syb on all of this. Dude has thousands of hours of podcasts with a massive array of guests. He's going to say something at some point that someone will disagree with. Even better if it's a snippet of a larger contextual point being made which means he's totally a GQP operative!

And while I don't condone his inviting on Alex Jones, he did push back on Steven Crowder and Ben Shapiro when he invited them on.
He flat out laughed at some of Shapiro’s beliefs. I get into debates with a friend who likes Shapiro, so hearing a 3 hour interview with him gave me a completely different perspective on Ben. Ive really only heard the absolute worst clips of Shapiro, but hearing him in a 3 hour conversation, I understand him now. He is just a wackjob religious extremist with a different set of beliefs than the usual Evangelical. As intelligent as he is, his hardcore Orthodox Jewish nuttiness overtakes all logic, reason and reality.

The Alex Jones thing is weird. He’s known Jones since the 90s and says it’s sad how Jones’ brain broke. I listened to the first time Jones was on, and he got so drunk and high, his wife used clips as evidence in their divorce case. Didnt listen the second time, as I’m not into listening to mental illness as entertainment. Although, I found the Jones impersonator on Stern hilarious because fuck Alex Jones.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whenever Joe Rogan acts like a douchebag, this is how you handle it:

He's really like that one dude in every group of friends that you roll your eyes at and want to sleep the shit out of over his ideas, but you've known him forever, is hospitable, and is fiercely loyal.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 am I agree with Syb on all of this. Dude has thousands of hours of podcasts with a massive array of guests. He's going to say something at some point that someone will disagree with. Even better if it's a snippet of a larger contextual point being made which means he's totally a GQP operative!

And the guy has a multi-million dollar deal on Spotify! White guys can't say shit, man!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He gives a massive platform to people who intentionally make the country a shittier place for personal gain. The fact that he also has regular people on just serves to normalize the fringe people he allows. That's an objective bad.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

mister d wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am He gives a massive platform to people who intentionally make the country a shittier place for personal gain. The fact that he also has regular people on just serves to normalize the fringe people he allows. That's an objective bad.
And add to the fact that he is just a huge douchenozzle. Can't stand the fucker. Burr had it right when he called him a knuckle-dragger. To much machismo bullshit.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am He gives a massive platform to people who intentionally make the country a shittier place for personal gain. The fact that he also has regular people on just serves to normalize the fringe people he allows. That's an objective bad.
De-platforming people works. Trump booted from Twitter. Milo Yiannopoulos. And so on.

If you don't give them oxygen, they go away.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”