Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Podcasts

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

I tend to listen to podcasts when I'm doing mundane shit around the house. I've recently come to the conclusion that I am getting really sick of my usual podcast rotation, which consists primarily of Grantland/ESPN offerings. What podcasts (if any) do y'all regularly listen to? Any recommendations?
Popin' ain't easy
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Podcasts

Post by A_B »

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is about it for me, podcast-wise.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick
Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler
SmodCast with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier
WWDTM from NPR

I used to listen to more, but I just really found I like interview podcasts. These are all pretty pop culture heavy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

My own
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

Here's the Thing
EPL Talk
Football Weekly
Keith Law's one
Grant Wahl's/SI one
BS Report
Men in Blazers
All Things Considered
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

WTF with Marc Maron

Men in Blazers

That is all.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Marek vs Wyshynski (hockey, daily)
Firewall and Iceberg (tv, weekly)
Judge John Hodgeman (humor, weekly)
Jay and Dan Podcast (TSN/sports/humor, weekly) If you like Onrait and O'Toole on Sportscentre you'll like this, and even if you don't I think it's still pretty funny.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

5 Live Football Daily
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Men in Blazers - two funny brits about the Premier League and USMNT
Slate's Hang Up and Listen - Sports talk from more intelligent sportswriters
The Football Ramble - four british comedians discussing world soccer, with a focus on UK leagues
The Bugle (John Oliver from The Daily Show) - Audio newspaper for a visual world. 40 minutes or so of cross-atlantic comedy on current events.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Swampcast :/
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Mohr Stories (Jay Mohr) - Has become hit or miss, but I'll always tune in to see if the guest is compelling.

The Crabfeast - Comedians Ryan Sickler and Jay Larson. I found them through Mohr. I really encourage folks to try them out. They basically just focus on telling funny stories (usually get on one topic and then just go at it.)

Smartest Man in the World - Jeff Probst. Very liberal, very smart, very funny. Sometimes his references fly over my head, but it's worth the listen.

Adam Carolla. I know a lot of folks don't like him, but he is actually unbelievably good at what he does with this format. I also like the others on his team. If nothing else, try to find the episode where David Allen Grier came on and did a Teddy Pendergrass "impersonation." It's possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

This American Life. Consistently thought-provoking.

-=-=-==

I was deeply into Maron for at least a year. Never missed an episode. But then his guests started, IMO, kind of declining in quality. I also started skipping through his opening, because neurotic people kind of annoy me. No offense.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Rush2112 wrote:Swampcast :/
Merits a reboot.

There's two things I forgot (or just plain didn't get around to doing). One, a "The Swamp" app for mobiles. Of course, I can still do that (if there is any interest in such an animal). The other is getting a few of us together to figure out how to have a podcast where a number of us are part of "the show" on a weekly or monthly rotation.

Any ideas on how to create such a podcast, Rush? Anyone else?
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Mohr Stories (Jay Mohr) - Has become hit or miss, but I'll always tune in to see if the guest is compelling.

The Crabfeast - Comedians Ryan Sickler and Jay Larson. I found them through Mohr. I really encourage folks to try them out. They basically just focus on telling funny stories (usually get on one topic and then just go at it.)

Smartest Man in the World - Jeff Probst. Very liberal, very smart, very funny. Sometimes his references fly over my head, but it's worth the listen.

Adam Carolla. I know a lot of folks don't like him, but he is actually unbelievably good at what he does with this format. I also like the others on his team. If nothing else, try to find the episode where David Allen Grier came on and did a Teddy Pendergrass "impersonation." It's possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

This American Life. Consistently thought-provoking.

-=-=-==

I was deeply into Maron for at least a year. Never missed an episode. But then his guests started, IMO, kind of declining in quality. I also started skipping through his opening, because neurotic people kind of annoy me. No offense.
I agree about Carolla. I can't listen to him all the time, but he's very good at what he does. Maron is great, but his opening is the weak part of the show, IMO. Stuff You Should Know is also a really good podcast.

Also, look into tapatalk if we're going to do a mobile app. It works pretty seamlessly with one of the other boards I've been on.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I regularly listen to Football Weekly, WWDTM and Car Talk. I occasionally listen to This American Life but only if the topic is of interest to me.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

govmentchedda wrote:Also, look into tapatalk if we're going to do a mobile app. It works pretty seamlessly with one of the other boards I've been on.
Thanks. Mind pointing me to one of those forums so I can see how it works? (You don't have to post the URL here, if you don't want to. PM it if you wish).
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

This American Life
Your Mom's House--Married comedians Tom Segura and Christina Pazitsky
The Bert Kreischer Podcast
The Crabfeast-Baltimore comedian Ryan Sickler and Jay Larson
Risk!
The Moth Podcast
Joe Rogan-depends on the guest
WTF-depends on the guest
Jay Mohr-depends on the guest
Allison Rosen is Your New Best Friend-depends on the guest

I'd like to be involved if we do a podcast. I don't know anything about the technology, but I have a microphone that I have never used.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote:I'd like to be involved if we do a podcast. I don't know anything about the technology, but I have a microphone that I have never used.
"Swampcast! - Because we Have a Microphone We've Never Used!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

bfj wrote:…I have a microphone that I have never used.
I have two turntables
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Scottie wrote:Any ideas on how to create such a podcast, Rush? Anyone else?
From my understanding John just recorded Skype conversations and posted them to Mediafire or some other distribution site. DropCanvas or the like would work quite nicely.

There are a number of apps that record, though John's seemed to work quite well so I can defer to him for recommendations.

ETA: I have two turntables (even a mobile one!) and a microphone as well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:
I have two turntables
That's where it's at.

On the Swampcast: Each person uses Skype. Each downloads CallBurner. And Viola! A recorded phone call conversation. Very simple. I'd then load the MP3 into Audacity, add an intro, and save as an MP3. I'd post it on ZShare. I could very easily create a YouTube Channel too.

On podcasts: Get the Stitcher App. GC turned me on to this years ago. It has nearly every podcast available. Highly recommended.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Smartest Man in the World - Jeff Probst. Very liberal, very smart, very funny. Sometimes his references fly over my head, but it's worth the listen.\
This is Greg Proops, not Jeff Probst. Although I 'm certain "Whose Line Is It, Anyway" and "Survivor" are almost the same show. It is very. very good. He had a 2+ hour podcast a couple weeks ago and it rarely lagged at all.

(I also listen to Jay Mohr, Adam Carolla, and This American Life, like Nonlinear.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I think I trust the collective advice of the Swamp on these matters more than anybody else.

I'll be sure to give some of those a listen when time allows.
Popin' ain't easy
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:
howard wrote:
I have two turntables
That's where it's at.

On the Swampcast: Each person uses Skype. Each downloads CallBurner. And Viola! A recorded phone call conversation. Very simple. I'd then load the MP3 into Audacity, add an intro, and save as an MP3. I'd post it on ZShare. I could very easily create a YouTube Channel too.

On podcasts: Get the Stitcher App. GC turned me on to this years ago. It has nearly every podcast available. Highly recommended.
Assuming many of us have the ability to record ourselves, this is what I had in mind. Something a bit more formal; consider this to be drawings on a white board. Four or five guys each record a four or five (or what have you) minute segment. On whatever topic they want; wide open and a blank canvas. Record in MP3 format. Then one guy "hosts" (and that can be rotating); it would be hosted in a radio format. And we stream it and make it also available for download/podcast convenience streaming. But the first streaming will be at an appointed hour and go "live" like Swamp Radio.

In a completely hypothetical world (stress "hypothetical"), it would sound like this:

Let's say, only for example, one of us was hosting the fist episode. (Remember this is all MP3s stacked up just like Swamp Radio used to be)

1. Opening remarks, comments, free space
2. Swamper Podcast recording #1
3. Host. Intro the next recording.
4. Swamper Podcast recording #2
5. Host. Intro the next recording.
6. Swamper Podcast recording #3
7. Host. Intro the next recording.

. . . and so on. Again, a blank canvas. We can add tunes in there, anything in there. Even recorded Skype conversations, scripted or otherwise, between the lads works as a segment, eh?

My reason for that framework is so Swampers can craft bits for the podcast. And, as with authoring a post, it gives the author time to edit/refine themselves before posting. The thing about a phone call is all of the uhmmms and uhhhhs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in our context. But we really could some up with a slick "show" if we put some effort in to it. I'll volunteer to help in any way.

Who knows? It might even result in an increase in membership.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Can I read scores for my segment?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:Can I read scores for my segment?
Are they musical scores?

We can save the town, Timmay! I can sing a bit and Johnnie can dance! We'll pay that mean old rent man!
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a podcast called Startalk. It's good.

He did a two-parter on Mars with Sarah Silverman and Jim Gaffigan. It's effing amazing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I listen to quite a few podcasts here. I think part of it is that its just nice to hear American voices, without the accent.

The ones I listen to regularly:

Steve Czaben show - national sports talk out of DC
Hang up and Listen
BS Report
Filmspotting - movie reviews and stuff.
Sound Opinions - Music reviews, interviews and stuff
Doug Loves Movies - Silly movie trivia games, hosted by comedian Doug Benson
You made it weird - Comedian interviews by Pete Holmes
WTF - depending on the guest. His recent one with Dave Grohl was fantastic. And yeah, the openings are painful, but that's what the fast-forward is for
Savage Love - Sex/Relationship advice by Dan Savage, although these days its more Relationship stuff
Monday Morning Podcast - Comedian Bill Burr just ranting basically, but he also answers readers emails asking for advice
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

If Hodor isn't a guest on the Swamp podcast, I'm going to be very disappointed....
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And clearly, this calls for a Google Hangout. Duh.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:And clearly, this calls for a Google Hangout. Duh.
yeah, that's actually the simplest, as it records your conversations automatically.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

AussieDave wrote: WTF - depending on the guest. His recent one with Dave Grohl was fantastic. And yeah, the openings are painful, but that's what the fast-forward is for
I just listened to the Grohl podcast. Outstanding interview. I want to see the documentary Sound City now.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Todd Barry premieres his this week.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

garyclark wrote:Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a podcast called Startalk. It's good.

He did a two-parter on Mars with Sarah Silverman and Jim Gaffigan. It's effing amazing.
Thanks for that one
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Smartest Man in the World - Jeff Probst. Very liberal, very smart, very funny. Sometimes his references fly over my head, but it's worth the listen.\
This is Greg Proops, not Jeff Probst. Although I 'm certain "Whose Line Is It, Anyway" and "Survivor" are almost the same show. It is very. very good. He had a 2+ hour podcast a couple weeks ago and it rarely lagged at all.

(I also listen to Jay Mohr, Adam Carolla, and This American Life, like Nonlinear.)

Oh my God. That's embarrassing. Thanks for catching that, I'm not sure how I got those two mixed in my head.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

NORM MACDONALD HAS A PODCAST!?!?!?!?
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Nonlinear FC wrote:If nothing else, try to find the episode where David Allen Grier came on and did a Teddy Pendergrass "impersonation." It's possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
Thank you.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mini puke to 1,558
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Scottie wrote:
Assuming many of us have the ability to record ourselves, this is what I had in mind. Something a bit more formal; consider this to be drawings on a white board. Four or five guys each record a four or five (or what have you) minute segment. On whatever topic they want; wide open and a blank canvas. Record in MP3 format. Then one guy "hosts" (and that can be rotating); it would be hosted in a radio format. And we stream it and make it also available for download/podcast convenience streaming. But the first streaming will be at an appointed hour and go "live" like Swamp Radio.

In a completely hypothetical world (stress "hypothetical"), it would sound like this:

Let's say, only for example, one of us was hosting the fist episode. (Remember this is all MP3s stacked up just like Swamp Radio used to be)

1. Opening remarks, comments, free space
2. Swamper Podcast recording #1
3. Host. Intro the next recording.
4. Swamper Podcast recording #2
5. Host. Intro the next recording.
6. Swamper Podcast recording #3
7. Host. Intro the next recording.

. . . and so on. Again, a blank canvas. We can add tunes in there, anything in there. Even recorded Skype conversations, scripted or otherwise, between the lads works as a segment, eh?

My reason for that framework is so Swampers can craft bits for the podcast. And, as with authoring a post, it gives the author time to edit/refine themselves before posting. The thing about a phone call is all of the uhmmms and uhhhhs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in our context. But we really could some up with a slick "show" if we put some effort in to it. I'll volunteer to help in any way.

Who knows? It might even result in an increase in membership.
I like the storytelling/commentary idea. Maybe there is someway to combine the two ideas. A live Swampcast, with recorded bits inserted in between segments. I don't know. The live Swampcasts were entertaining. There were some pretty funny interactions on them.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

testy boxcar wrote:NORM MACDONALD HAS A PODCAST!?!?!?!?
#6 on the comedy charts right now. And don't yell at me.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Scottie wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Also, look into tapatalk if we're going to do a mobile app. It works pretty seamlessly with one of the other boards I've been on.
Thanks. Mind pointing me to one of those forums so I can see how it works? (You don't have to post the URL here, if you don't want to. PM it if you wish).
I use tapatalk to access clubwrx.net, vwvortex, & theindependentcharacters.

The other popular mobile forum program is forumrunner, but I haven't used it.