Final Jeopardy! Challenge November 2017 and the ToC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Final Jeopardy! Challenge November 2017 and the ToC

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am Also I'll put down 500/1 that our current champ is single and struggling mightily to mingle.
I noticed that his t-shirt under the big boy shirt had a frayed collar.
I'm not a huge male fashion advice guy, but ffs people, the crew neck under a button down is a bad look. Always has been always will be. Wear a v-neck, an a-shirt, or button that motherfucker up and put a tie on.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 am To be fair, sports categories can be like that - sure you may pick up that Tom Landry = Cowboys even if you've never watched a game in your life but "offsetting penalties"? No way.

Even the very first one, where they even wrote in a secondary way to get at "option" was not a gimme, especially for a top row clue.
I answered "run pass option" aloud and am not sure they would have accepted that answer. I ran the rest of them though.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Were you mumbling "fucking Marvin" after every response?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 amI'm not a huge male fashion advice guy, but ffs people, the crew neck under a button down is a bad look. Always has been always will be. Wear a v-neck, an a-shirt, or button that motherfucker up and put a tie on.
Or just either/or? I'm a v-neck guy too, but a crew is fine if you have a tie on. That dude just looks bad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The shirt is too billowy. A slim fit would've been a lot neater.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sartorial frog dot com
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 am Sartorial frog dot com
Thought we had it already.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:49 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 amI'm not a huge male fashion advice guy, but ffs people, the crew neck under a button down is a bad look. Always has been always will be. Wear a v-neck, an a-shirt, or button that motherfucker up and put a tie on.
Or just either/or? I'm a v-neck guy too, but a crew is fine if you have a tie on. That dude just looks bad.
If you leave the top of the shirt open, there shouldn't be another shirt visible under there imo. If you're buttoning up for a tie, crew neck it all you want, you can't see it.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

In all seriousness, whatfuckingever to how the guy dresses
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I friggin hate vnecks. My crew necks aren't shit like his are, though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am Also I'll put down 500/1 that our current champ is single and struggling mightily to mingle.
I noticed that his t-shirt under the big boy shirt had a frayed collar.
The first comment in the Deadspin piece on this was a guy saying, "at least he gets laid a lot!"

We watched it real time last night, and my wife and daughter (who are both way smarter than me) both also whiffed on every single football question, so I am not going to judge the contestants too harshly.

But, without question, the best part of the segment was Alex's incredulous half-mocking of them for knowing nothing about football. I was waiting for the champ to give us an "Oh, Alex!", like somebody famously once did.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bought the Jeopardy! wardrobe yesterday.

Taping is on the 21st - we fly to LA on Saturday (making a vacation of it).

I can not think of anything but the show. Woke up three times last night.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Don't be the stupid idiot who forgets half his (or her) outfits on the second day of taping because he (or she) doesn't get picked the first day and things get a little crazy the next morning and so he (or she) has to wear the same shirt twice

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm Bought the Jeopardy! wardrobe yesterday.

Good luck, Pruitt. Hope you do great.

We watch Jeopardy most weeknights. The thing that always intrigues me is the psychology of how much to bet on the Final Jeopardy question, in a very tight game. Some players bet big, on the presumption they will answer correctly. But, we've all also seen the instances where the player won the game by betting low, because they all missed that final question. I have no suggestions or opinion. Just find it interesting to watch.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sent you a little something for good luck. Should be there Wednesday. Postage to Canada in a reasonable amount of time is a motherfucker.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm

We watch Jeopardy most weeknights. The thing that always intrigues me is the psychology of how much to bet on the Final Jeopardy question, in a very tight game. Some players bet big, on the presumption they will answer correctly. But, we've all also seen the instances where the player won the game by betting low, because they all missed that final question. I have no suggestions or opinion. Just find it interesting to watch.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48 pm Sent you a little something for good luck. Should be there Wednesday. Postage to Canada in a reasonable amount of time is a motherfucker.
Awesome! A bottle of Highland Park is just what the doctor ordered.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Half of Jeopardy! is watching for the trivia, the other half is yelling at people for poor game theory and wagering. It happens an infuriating number of times per week.

P1: 12000
P2: 9000
P3: 1000

Say P1 hits the DD on the second to last clue, leaving a 2000 clue as the final clue. Then that dumb motherfucker wagers 4000. WHY??!?!
There are 2 acceptable wagers in that situation: 11,000 or anything below 1000. Such stupid, stupid geniuses. Frustrates me to no end. Don't be that guy Pruitt! Know your wagers going in!

Also, Alex Jacob would tell you "bet it all" is almost always the best bet. I don't know how far I'd take that, but fortune certainly favors the bold on most of the Jeopardy! I watch.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

$10,001 to be exact if you're confident in the category, but I totally agree with the crappy wagers. I'm pleased to say I went for it all on my DD, albeit I missed it, and went all but $1 for FJ.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Had the first one in lime. No clue where it ended up.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Still have my gray with the red collar. Wear it when I travel in case I run into one of you.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 pm $10,001 to be exact if you're confident in the category, but I totally agree with the crappy wagers. I'm pleased to say I went for it all on my DD, albeit I missed it, and went all but $1 for FJ.
This egger's got an entire site dedicated to how to wager... http://thefinalwager.com/

And after running through dozens of scenarios, it comes down to a few rules: If you're in first, you have to bet at least $1 over 2 times the 2nd place guy.

If you are in 2nd - at least $1 over what the guy in first has before he bets (and more than double the 3rd place guy.

And obviously, if the category is "World Cup History" I bet like mad. If it's "Physics", I curse fate and bet the minimum.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Best wishes and break a leg. Take comfort in the knowledge that any mistake or wrong answer will be remembered and remarked upon for years to come by your homies here.

And that woman a couple of weeks ago who repeatedly made wrong bets in final but won in spite of/because of them, don't let that spook you.

Pruitt, Ryan, who was the third swamper on Jeopardy?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm Best wishes and break a leg. Take comfort in the knowledge that any mistake or wrong answer will be remembered and remarked upon for years to come by your homies here.

And that woman a couple of weeks ago who repeatedly made wrong bets in final but won in spite of/because of them, don't let that spook you.

Pruitt, Ryan, who was the third swamper on Jeopardy?
Ljam
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

How the hell did I forget that? This getting old stuff is for the birds, my brain used to work so much better.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Break a leg or whatever Pruitt! We know you have the knowledge to do well, so I wish you luck in the categories and competition.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Moreta wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm Break a leg or whatever Pruitt! We know you have the knowledge to do well, so I wish you luck in the categories and competition.
Thanks!

So worried that I'll get a bunch of shit categories.

But I must say, I crushed it the last two nights (including Final Jeopardy!) so my confidence level is decent right now.
Honestly - if I fuck up because of a miscalculated wager, I don;t even want to think about it.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You get basically unlimited time to figure out your FJ wager. You will stare at that scrap paper (index card) with that Sharpie in your hand for what seems like 45 minutes, making sure that your math is right.

Well I’m here to tell you that you’re on Jeopardy and it’s simple math so of course it’s right. Probably. Check it anyway though. Many times.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm You get basically unlimited time to figure out your FJ wager. You will stare at that scrap paper (index card) with that Sharpie in your hand for what seems like 45 minutes, making sure that your math is right.

Well I’m here to tell you that you’re on Jeopardy and it’s simple math so of course it’s right. Probably. Check it anyway though. Many times.
What he really needs, Turd, is your secret advice for buzzing in at just the right time. Do they open it up for you to buzz in as soon as Alex starts speaking, or do you have to wait?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm You get basically unlimited time to figure out your FJ wager. You will stare at that scrap paper (index card) with that Sharpie in your hand for what seems like 45 minutes, making sure that your math is right.

What he really needs, Turd, is your secret advice for buzzing in at just the right time. Do they open it up for you to buzz in as soon as Alex starts speaking, or do you have to wait?
The buzzing is a known - there's actually a guy in the studio who hits the buzzer release as soon as Alex is finished giving the clue, then lights flash on the board. Ken Jennings says that the key is to imagine that alex is saying another syllable and buzz to coincide with it. If you buzz too early, your buzzer is locked out for a half second.

That wagering thing is interesting though. So there's no excuse for people who mess up their bets?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Look what I got!

BSF sent this little lucky charm. He'll be shoved in my pants (pocket) on taping day. Thanks man!

And I was thinking about doing any sort of shout out that involved saying or writing the word "frog," and all I could think of was Pepe and the alt-right meat heads and having an issue with that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm Had the first one in lime. No clue where it ended up.

Funny, I don't know where mine is either. Still have two of the gambling habit shirts though.

(I only wear them under button ups though.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Hey he looks pretty good there! Never know when you buy online you know.

Kick some ass. Hopefully you'll win so many games you'll run out of stories and have to talk about us awkwardly for 15 seconds in 2-3 weeks.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 am Hey he looks pretty good there! Never know when you buy online you know.

Kick some ass. Hopefully you'll win so many games you'll run out of stories and have to talk about us awkwardly for 15 seconds in 2-3 weeks.
We should all come up with an anecdote for when he runs out of his own.

"So this one time I was on a cabbage soup cleanse..."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 am
BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 am Hey he looks pretty good there! Never know when you buy online you know.

We should all come up with an anecdote for when he runs out of his own.

"So this one time I was on a cabbage soup cleanse..."
"So this guy had to take like 50 calls about this Camaro he knew nothing about..."

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"I banged a girl from, I don't know, North Dakota maybe? over a kitchen sink"

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks man!

I could always tell the story about the time I had to get tampons for Sarah McLachlan.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

He's not back yet...we can only assume this means he is the next Ken Jennings.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am He's not back yet...we can only assume this means he is the next Ken Jennings.
Or it's tomorrow