Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:01 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:19 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:04 pm
having watched heck of a lot of NJ high school soccer this fall... route 1 soccer is still the way... far too many long balls and headers back and forth. physical play is prized above technique and the refs are better than travel but far below EDP... our HS won their state division -- and it was exciting.. but not pretty. frustrating for those w actual talent -- and it wasn't just ours (which is surprising considering the coach) but didn't' see one game where either team was putting more than 10 passes together.
I think the issue with high school soccer is that the best players are at academies, and often not allowed to play high school soccer. Before academies started to take off, most of the kids on a high school team played together for years on travel teams. Now that kids aren't playing club soccer with kids from the same town, they don't have all the experience and time playing together, so it makes sense that there is less of a passing game. When you have players who aren't as skilled, you are going to see a lot more physical play and long ball. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a sense that high school soccer is watered down from what it used to be. I think that may be changing, as more academy teams are allowing their players to play on high school teams. My understanding is that the US Development Academy limited the number of players clubs could allow to play for their schools. Now that the DA is gone, I think the restriction is gone.
I think this is probably a big part of it (academies), but...

1) The coaching is often very spotty. You've still got a lot of old heads that think Rt 1 is the only way... And a MASSIVE focus on being the most in shape team, often buoyed by a desire for the team to be "physical."

2) But here's a more fundamental issue: The coaches that actually want to run a system are severely hampered by the amount of time they have with the kids. A couple of weeks of pre-season, then you're right into the mix, and a lot of places, you can't really afford to shit out a bunch of losses to sort out your squad.

Overall, a high school coach has his kids from mid-August until about mid-November if they make a run at a state title. Realistically, it's about 10 weeks give or take. You take the talent you are dealt, and you try to scrabble together a style often with the cream of the crop gone. Tough gig.
So a few weeks ago I got invited to a DC United chalk talk (they really want me to buy season tickets). The topic was youth development. One thing that came up was what metrics do they use as a club from a stats perspective. The youth coach says that all ages they are looking at "vertical passing". I know that is not really route 1 soccer, but I found that very interesting.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

B.T.W. FTMFS for tonight's game. ESPNNews....not part of my fios package......GRRRRR...not part of the streaming options I have....I was all excited to dent the sofa from 5-10 (Terps v. Clemson right into the US Game).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:25 pm B.T.W. FTMFS for tonight's game. ESPNNews....not part of my fios package......GRRRRR...not part of the streaming options I have....I was all excited to dent the sofa from 5-10 (Terps v. Clemson right into the US Game).
You can't log on to ESPN directly with your fios credentials?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:39 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:25 pm B.T.W. FTMFS for tonight's game. ESPNNews....not part of my fios package......GRRRRR...not part of the streaming options I have....I was all excited to dent the sofa from 5-10 (Terps v. Clemson right into the US Game).
You can't log on to ESPN directly with your fios credentials?
If I tried to do that with my Xfinity package that doesn't have ESPNU, it doesn't let me watch it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Made me double check. I set the game to record, but I wasn't sure if my FiOS included ESPNNews. Apparently it does. I should make sure I have the cheapest plan, because I barely watch cable anymore.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Could also try UniMas.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm Could also try UniMas.
I can't remember if I get UniMas or Telemundo. I know I get one but not the other. Not on my usual channel flipping rotation.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 pm So a few weeks ago I got invited to a DC United chalk talk (they really want me to buy season tickets). The topic was youth development. One thing that came up was what metrics do they use as a club from a stats perspective. The youth coach says that all ages they are looking at "vertical passing". I know that is not really route 1 soccer, but I found that very interesting.
What does that mean? They are looking for guys that want to pass through lines? Skip mids?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Lol i forgot about this one. MLS boys been reading The Swamp for motivation.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

January camps..some new faces. Obviously some missing folks in Europe
Senior team
GOALKEEPERS: Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)
DEFENDERS: Tristan Blackmon (LAFC; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 18/3), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 13/2)
MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 24/2), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 17/4), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0)
FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC; 115/42), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 34/6), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 1/2)

U-23/Olympic team
GOALKEEPERS: JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Brady Scott (Austin FC)
DEFENDERS: Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), George Bello (Atlanta United FC), Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
MIDFIELDERS: Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)
FORWARDS: Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC), Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

What does one do at a 12 person camp?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hikes, roast marshmallows, tell ghost stories and make new best friends for life!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I mean are there extra squads around to work against that can hang with national team guys? Maybe in the same spot as the olympic camp. Just wondering. Cant go 3v3 5v5 all the time.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Man we are just swimming in good players these days. Matt Olosunde needs to get to the PL stat. Scored and was clearly MOTM against Everton today.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The hell?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's still our biggest hole, right? Sargent's role if he claims it but otherwise not nearly at the same level as the rest of the squad?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Natural playmaker? Holding mid? Maybe they have those. Pulisic doesn't seem either to me. Haven't seen lots of the presumed squad. Adams in particular so not sure if he is either. Assume Reyna but maybe not his dad.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am Natural playmaker? Holding mid? Maybe they have those. Pulisic doesn't seem either to me. Haven't seen lots of the presumed squad. Adams in particular so not sure if he is either. Assume Reyna but maybe not his dad.
I think Reyna is going to be better than his father. He is faster and more of an attacking threat. Adams and McKennie have holding midfield locked down, with McKennie having more attacking presence. They have a handful of potential playmakers coming up, hopefully a couple pan out and we have a solid attacking threat.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've also heard Adams is from an area where only the coolest people are born.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm

The hell?
Yeah, WTF is this guy?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't think mckennie is either of those. Like a defensive mid that gets forward more than most. Don't see him driving the ship.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am Don't think mckennie is either of those. Like a defensive mid that gets forward more than most. Don't see him driving the ship.
Adams is way more 6 than 8. My understanding is that McKinnie can sort of do both, but when with Adams, he'd be the 8. Pulisic and Reyna are more wingers, but can likely play some as a 10. Reyna seems tall for a wing, but CR7 is pretty tall.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:58 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am Natural playmaker? Holding mid? Maybe they have those. Pulisic doesn't seem either to me. Haven't seen lots of the presumed squad. Adams in particular so not sure if he is either. Assume Reyna but maybe not his dad.
I think Reyna is going to be better than his father. He is faster and more of an attacking threat. Adams and McKennie have holding midfield locked down, with McKennie having more attacking presence. They have a handful of potential playmakers coming up, hopefully a couple pan out and we have a solid attacking threat.
That would be something, if true. I think Claudio is probably one of the 5 best field players in US history.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:54 pm
That would be something, if true. I think Claudio is probably one of the 5 best field players in US history.
He's on track to be better. Claudio wasn't doing this at 18.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I would totally agree with that, while also stating Reyna is likely one of the most (historically) under-rated US players over the last 25 years or so. He was better than Harkes (who I loved as a player), in terms of translating a higher level on-field IQ with elite level skills.

He didn't score a bucket load of goals, so he never really got hyped. You could build a squad around him, which is saying something for a US player from his generation.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Definitely. And it's way harder to find that than speed or goals.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:54 pm
I didn't mean to take anything away from Claudio's achievements, I think he was the single most important field player for the US. He was the bridge between the National Team going from a rag tag bunch of college grads to becoming a proper team of professional players. He was the leader and the engine on the field. His ability to hold the ball and dictate the game was a first for a US player. His role was never to score goals and I don't think his lack of goals is at all a ding against him. He carried the team to a new level of professionalism off the field and competitiveness on the field. Claudio was one of the first players to excel on top flight teams (though Man City was a pre-oil Sheikh money and a middling smaller club) in Europe.

Gio has the potential to be world class player. He is already a star in the Bundesliga at 18 and putting in impressive performances in the Champions League against some of the best teams in the world. His physical skills and talent are better that his father's, and I think his soccer IQ and understanding of the game at 18 are close to his father's at the end of his career. I've always loved Claudio, he was a hero, which makes my comments that Gio will be better an even bigger compliment to Gio.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's interesting how comparing the two really shows the development of US soccer. When Claudio was 18 he was the #1 high school player in the country (a huge recruit) and then a key piece as a freshman of UVA's national championship team. He went on to be a 1st Team AA and national player of the year his next two years (with two more national championships) before turning pro early (which was largely unheard of in soccer then). That's about as glittery an amateur career as you could possibly have.

If the same opportunities in Europe were available to young Americans then that they are now, he likely would have taken a very different path. It's unimaginable today that the best 18-year-old American soccer player would just go off to play college soccer.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:40 am It's interesting how comparing the two really shows the development of US soccer. When Claudio was 18 he was the #1 high school player in the country (a huge recruit) and then a key piece as a freshman of UVA's national championship team. He went on to be a 1st Team AA and national player of the year his next two years (with two more national championships) before turning pro early (which was largely unheard of in soccer then). That's about as glittery an amateur career as you could possibly have.

If the same opportunities in Europe were available to young Americans then that they are now, he likely would have taken a very different path. It's unimaginable today that the best 18-year-old American soccer player would just go off to play college soccer.
That's an excellent point. Imagine how good Claudio, or any of the American MNT players of the 1990s could have been, if they went to European academies at 15 yo instead of playing high school and college soccer. Claudio didn't even get to play in youth soccer academies as good as my daughter is getting to play. He probably played on a travel team coached by a father who may not have even played the game, and at best a summer ODP team. Maybe he had something better, but that would have been very rare back then.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:40 am It's interesting how comparing the two really shows the development of US soccer. When Claudio was 18 he was the #1 high school player in the country (a huge recruit) and then a key piece as a freshman of UVA's national championship team. He went on to be a 1st Team AA and national player of the year his next two years (with two more national championships) before turning pro early (which was largely unheard of in soccer then). That's about as glittery an amateur career as you could possibly have.

That's an excellent point. Imagine how good Claudio, or any of the American MNT players of the 1990s could have been, if they went to European academies at 15 yo instead of playing high school and college soccer. Claudio didn't even get to play in youth soccer academies as good as my daughter is getting to play. He probably played on a travel team coached by a father who may not have even played the game, and at best a summer ODP team. Maybe he had something better, but that would have been very rare back then.
Well, now, hold on a minute. While there wasn't anywhere near the number of elite clubs, they DID exist. Especially in hot bed areas like NY, NJ, MD, PA and parts of the midwest and out on the left coast.

Reyna grew up in Union, which was pretty close to Kearney... That's where Harkes and Meola... Maybe even Ramos? Played in the 80s. Those guys played at European-inspired clubs where they had bars/restaurants and the kids would play games in the morning and then hang around all day watching the older teams and playing pick up.

I played an O30 Open Cup game at a place like that in PA, outside of Reading. It was so freaking random. Out in the middle of nowhere and you drive onto these grounds and there were fields everywhere, tucked into the middle of these woods. We had rented a bus, so we couldn't take up the oppositions offer to grab drinks in their clubhouse after the game.

Anyways, the club where Reyna played had semi-professional coaches. And if I'm remembering the Soccer America article where I read this many moons ago, I think Bob Bradley was on staff or somehow affiliated with that particular club.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Farcher's Grove!

(long gone and still a fucking empty lot - was only there once, for Oktoberfest years before we moved here)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 am

Well, now, hold on a minute. While there wasn't anywhere near the number of elite clubs, they DID exist. Especially in hot bed areas like NY, NJ, MD, PA and parts of the midwest and out on the left coast.

Reyna grew up in Union, which was pretty close to Kearney... That's where Harkes and Meola... Maybe even Ramos? Played in the 80s. Those guys played at European-inspired clubs where they had bars/restaurants and the kids would play games in the morning and then hang around all day watching the older teams and playing pick up.

I played an O30 Open Cup game at a place like that in PA, outside of Reading. It was so freaking random. Out in the middle of nowhere and you drive onto these grounds and there were fields everywhere, tucked into the middle of these woods. We had rented a bus, so we couldn't take up the oppositions offer to grab drinks in their clubhouse after the game.

Anyways, the club where Reyna played had semi-professional coaches. And if I'm remembering the Soccer America article where I read this many moons ago, I think Bob Bradley was on staff or somehow affiliated with that particular club.
How dare you sully Reyna's name by associating him with Union! He grew up in Springfield (which borders Union), damnit ! Probably within 10-15 minutes of my house. Anyways, elite travel programs in the US in the 1980s were lightyears away from the Euro club academies like Dortmund today. I've read all about the Scottish social club Harkes grew up in, surrounded by immigrants talking soccer. Sure, that ingrained some Euro-soccer knowledge, but come on, that's light years away from living on academy grounds surrounded by professional players and training with world class coaches with state of the art equipment. Dortmund in particular puts insane money into their training program, which is why they turn out so many amazing young players. You can't compare the cultural education of living in the Dortmund Academy to playing on a shitty field outside an immigrant social club in a factory town in the industrial wasteland section of NJ. Sure, Kearney produced 3 USMNT teammates Harkes, Meola and Ramos, but only because most of the rest of the country lacked even that level of soccer culture. (Also helped that Meola's father was an immigrant from Italy who played professional soccer and Ramos immigrated from Uruguay). Even if Claudio played at the greatest program in country for the greatest coaches, his training couldn't come close to what the big Euro clubs provide.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Growing up during that area, I am 100% sure soccer development was the following
Rec
Travel--coached by dads
Better Travel/Clubs--mostly coached by dads
ODP

In the Maryland Area my team (coached by a dad) was a solid State Cup team. We had no tactics and in high school did not have training. It was just good kids from a few schools coming together. Maybe 1 or 2 kids would go to the 1 really good club (Post 182 or something like that...which was really designed for winning national champion indoor titles).

However the best players were recognized and found via the very flawed ODP system.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:14 pm Growing up during that area, I am 100% sure soccer development was the following
Rec
Travel--coached by dads
Better Travel/Clubs--mostly coached by dads
ODP

In the Maryland Area my team (coached by a dad) was a solid State Cup team. We had no tactics and in high school did not have training. It was just good kids from a few schools coming together. Maybe 1 or 2 kids would go to the 1 really good club (Post 182 or something like that...which was really designed for winning national champion indoor titles).

However the best players were recognized and found via the very flawed ODP system.
My travel team growing up was one town, coached by fathers until U12 or so, then they would hire professional coaches, who were a huge step up from parents, but not even close to the trainers local travel teams have today, and I feel like most town travel programs today attract kids who would have been rec players when I was a kid, as most of the serious travel players move on to academy programs. We made it to the NY State Cup final pretty much every year, alternating with a regional rival. We lost most games at State Cup tournaments, but the other teams weren't much better, they were on a similar level. We did play a lot of large tournaments, and got absolutely destroyed by "select" teams that would draw from large regions. I don't think their training was anything better, just selected from 4 counties rather than one town. I'm sure the competition was much better in California and Florida and other regions, but from 1984-1992 or so, there weren't great options.

For several summers, most of the kids on my team went to a week long camp at the Lake Placid Soccer Center, which was run by Wiel Coerver (Creator of the Coerver Method and Champions League Winning coach of Feyenoord), England National Team all-timer Sir Stanley Matthews, and Chelsea legend Charlie Cooke. The coaches were mostly former top flight and National Team players. Looking back, I had no concept of how big that was for people of that caliber to coach kids in the US, but looking at the quality of day camps my kid attends in town, the training is infinitely superior from the local programs that import 20-something kids from England to coach here. The level of training available, even at travel level is astounding, then you look at the MLS academy programs, and what we had when we were goods is a pile of trash compared to the level of training today.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess I'll state the obvious: I wasn't trying to compare growing up around a soccer club in Jersey with joining a European academy system. Just making a point that even back in the 80s, you had pockets where kids that wanted to swim in Lake Soccer, with professional coaches, was an option for some.

Coaching is, really, what is making a huge, exponential leap the last 15-20 years.

I had to try out for the one Ann Arbor travel squad that existed for my age group, established in probably 1980 or thereabouts. We'd play teams from Birmingham (Lalas' stomping grounds*), Livonia, Troy, Grosse Pointe (fucking assholes), etc. We were part of the A2 club system, and there were a few really good coaches, but only really because their kid was on the club and they just happened to be former pros from random place on the planet.

(We were the Ann Arbor Arsenal and our big ass team flag ripped off an AC/DC album cover with a cannon... Actually pretty bad ass, thinking back on it.)

* - I must've played against him, at some point. We are separated in age by 2 months, and there just wasn't another option in MI to play travel/elite soccer at that time.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:27 pm I guess I'll state the obvious: I wasn't trying to compare growing up around a soccer club in Jersey with joining a European academy system. Just making a point that even back in the 80s, you had pockets where kids that wanted to swim in Lake Soccer, with professional coaches, was an option for some.

Coaching is, really, what is making a huge, exponential leap the last 15-20 years.

I had to try out for the one Ann Arbor travel squad that existed for my age group, established in probably 1980 or thereabouts. We'd play teams from Birmingham (Lalas' stomping grounds*), Livonia, Troy, Grosse Pointe (fucking assholes), etc. We were part of the A2 club system, and there were a few really good coaches, but only really because their kid was on the club and they just happened to be former pros from random place on the planet.

(We were the Ann Arbor Arsenal and our big ass team flag ripped off an AC/DC album cover with a cannon... Actually pretty bad ass, thinking back on it.)

* - I must've played against him, at some point. We are separated in age by 2 months, and there just wasn't another option in MI to play travel/elite soccer at that time.
While your soccer careers may not compare, you can say you had the same success as singer/song writers.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was actually at the Four Provinces (four Ps, as it's more commonly known) in Cleveland Park and in walks this tall red headed dude with a guitar. Very weird scene, as at the time I don't think he'd made much noise about his "signing career." This was back when he was still playing... Maybe he was in town for a Revs game? I was outside, so it was likely during the summer...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm

The hell?
More on this - from Ryan O'Hanlon

https://nograssintheclouds.substack.com ... ut-matthew
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The US has a ton of people playing soccer at a high level. What separates Hoppe from some guy who plays at another D1 level?...who knows, but there are probably lots of people who were afraid to make the move, did not get seen by the right college programs, had a bad day at the right tournament, got injured, etc. Not surprised that a relative no name has a great game in a top flight.

Every once in a while you get one of these kids where talent and luck come together at the right time (Jay DeMerrit, the guy who got his break from the Richmond Kickers when the USMNT almost went on strike for a qualifier)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

OH MY WHHHHORD. To end a thirty game skid? Sometimes they crack the door for you and sometimes you kick it in.