2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Recognized Captain America en Espanol but he did nothing. Reyna did some things. McKennie gets to balls and pressure was excellent by all offensive players but 15 no bueno
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Missed the first half, but this second half has been fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

They’re really doing extra time? C’mon man
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Thinking of just turning in. I don’t need 30 minutes of pure uncut CONCACAF tonight.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:27 pm Missed the first half, but this second half has been fantastic.
so much better than the first half for sure.

Weah has been really good since coming in.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Did not see var going to give the ok there
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yeah i stayed up for that.

Now I’ll go to bed
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What a fucking week for our kid! He even had time to shush HaulCitgo!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jesus, Gio looks like he got hit with a soup can.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m glad I stayed up for all this nonsense.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Wow. Not a great PK but nice save
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

what a bananas game this ended up being.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yes for the us to get Concacafy.

Also saw in many countries you play these early in the day so fans don't get so drunk.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Watching the team reaction to this - this ended up being perhaps a really important win. A lot of growth from this one.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Huge win
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

One fortunate aspect I haven’t seen mentioned here or on Twitter is that by starting it so late on Sunday you don’t have to worry about any younger kids, even on the west coast, falling in love with the sport or national team in a match like this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:28 pm Watching the team reaction to this - this ended up being perhaps a really important win. A lot of growth from this one.
Yup. In the past, the US lose when shit gets CONCACAFy.

MOTM: VAR.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:32 pm One fortunate aspect I haven’t seen mentioned here or on Twitter is that by starting it so late on Sunday you don’t have to worry about any younger kids, even on the west coast, falling in love with the sport or national team in a match like this.
Such a great point. Fuck CONCACAF. OTOH, best no kids saw that shit. Mexico fans are the fucking worst.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Reyna looks like a tall 14 year old.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Truly. the worst
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dempsey is so damn funny on that desk.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This is very awesome - Horvath is from Denver...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What did Gooch say?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 am What did Gooch say?
Was it when he (jokingly but still) threatened to jump across the desk and "choke" the former Mexican women's team player for picking Mexico during the pre-game? Cause that was uncomfortable.

My poor wife was so into that game (and good thing for me because it was a long weekend and a late night and I made the mistake of watching the game from a very comfy bad so she kept me in the game) and ended up so jaded by the Mexican fans. She also didn't realize how late it was. Not sure the last time we've made it to 12:30AM watching TV.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 am What did Gooch say?
Was it when he (jokingly but still) threatened to jump across the desk and "choke" the former Mexican women's team player for picking Mexico during the pre-game? Cause that was uncomfortable.

My poor wife was so into that game (and good thing for me because it was a long weekend and a late night and I made the mistake of watching the game from a very comfy bad so she kept me in the game) and ended up so jaded by the Mexican fans. She also didn't realize how late it was. Not sure the last time we've made it to 12:30AM watching TV.
Must've been. They had her back on, and he apologized to her.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:51 pm Dempsey is so damn funny on that desk.
I love the interaction between Dempsey, Gooch and Davies, I even like the unprofessional or unpolished aspects, but I feel like I need subtitles. I can’t understand or miss half of what they are saying.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I made that comment right after Kate asked Deuce a question and he spent his entire answer turning his head from right to left superfast like he wasn't sure if he should be talking to Gooch or Charlie. It was almost like he was watching a tennis match from the umpire's chair.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I did like that Deuce was wearing the camo blazer that Men in Blazers folks gave him a few years back.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:51 pm Dempsey is so damn funny on that desk.
I love the interaction between Dempsey, Gooch and Davies, I even like the unprofessional or unpolished aspects, but I feel like I need subtitles. I can’t understand or miss half of what they are saying.
This. It seems like they're trying to replicate Fox's NFL pregame coverage, which is not a good thing in my book. I like Deuce's honesty, but Davies needs to stop yelling.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:45 am I did like that Deuce was wearing the camo blazer that Men in Blazers folks gave him a few years back.
Ha, I didn't pick up on that! Rog and Davo actually somehow seem respected. I'm always amazed at the celebrity guests they get, and wonder if the guests are thinking "how the fuck did my publicist get me on this crap show?"
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That reminded me of like 15-20 years ago when Mexico was technically superior but we'd grind out results with grit and luck. We shouldn't have to do that with the horses we have now. They were so much better organized and dangerous than us. It was entertaining and glad we won, but this match didn't exactly instill me with confidence.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Corners though. Pulisic looked to serve some bad balls but they still got repeated chances on corners. McKennie kind of a problem coming through. And pressure. Looked even better with Adams but maybe fresh legs. They got some chances on turnovers in the offensive half and at least won the ball back. If they can do that against mexico it will fly in all home qualifying.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:06 am That reminded me of like 15-20 years ago when Mexico was technically superior but we'd grind out results with grit and luck. We shouldn't have to do that with the horses we have now. They were so much better organized and dangerous than us. It was entertaining and glad we won, but this match didn't exactly instill me with confidence.
I again feel like I watched a different game. We crushed them in corner opps - and that was because of good consistent pressure like we have seldom had against quality sides. Dangerous chances in run of play and then really dangerous on corners. Could have had at least one more from a corner that Ochoa made a world class save on.

I think we would look more consistently dangerous in the attack if Berhalter would play our better players. Weah was really helpful, for instance, when he came on. Musah never played. Pulisic should be more central, not out wide, IMO. When he was on the ball and attacking in the middle we had real chances second half. A lot of that is on Berhalter. But even with those flaws, I thought that was pretty evenly matched.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like I watched the same game as bengal.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:35 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:06 am That reminded me of like 15-20 years ago when Mexico was technically superior but we'd grind out results with grit and luck. We shouldn't have to do that with the horses we have now. They were so much better organized and dangerous than us. It was entertaining and glad we won, but this match didn't exactly instill me with confidence.
I again feel like I watched a different game. We crushed them in corner opps - and that was because of good consistent pressure like we have seldom had against quality sides. Dangerous chances in run of play and then really dangerous on corners. Could have had at least one more from a corner that Ochoa made a world class save on.

I think we would look more consistently dangerous in the attack if Berhalter would play our better players. Weah was really helpful, for instance, when he came on. Musah never played. Pulisic should be more central, not out wide, IMO. When he was on the ball and attacking in the middle we had real chances second half. A lot of that is on Berhalter. But even with those flaws, I thought that was pretty evenly matched.
I felt like Mexico looked more like a club team, more organized playing in a system, but the US looked more like individuals who more skilled, except for when Lainez came on. That dude scares the hell out of me. In the old days, the US was always the less skilled team, but made up for it with fitness and heart. It'll be really interesting if they can learn how to play together in a system. I just have no concept of how to find the right group of guys and right formation/strategy.

I love the idea of 3 CBs with Dest and Yedlin (or preferably Cannon) as wing backs, but McKenzie doesn't seem good enough and Ream sucks. Dest can be a huge threat going forward, but right now, he is a major liability defensively. I'm optimistic he'll improve there, but until then, I like the extra cover to allow him to go forward. I agree that Pulisic was incredibly dangerous when he got the ball centrally, and tends to disappear out wide, I just don't know what formation you can play with him central that'd be an improvement. Maybe a false 9 with a Jordan Morris or Arriola on the wings? I don't think the wings on the current roster are striker enough to play that role. I also don't know if Pulisic is good in that role. I think he is more of a dribble in space kind of guy than a shooter or playing in tight spaces.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pulisic gives you no hold up play. Had a couple moments to relieve pressure and not much. Just too small and no mentality to compensate if asked to do that.

With 5 defenders the outside backs can easily rotate to cover. Didn't notice yedlin too much beyond some decent throws but yeah let Dest roam a little and Yedlin try to overlap. Not sure the burners are still there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lainez looked Messi-lite-esque with that rocket of a left foot and short build.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:35 pm I again feel like I watched a different game. We crushed them in corner opps - and that was because of good consistent pressure like we have seldom had against quality sides.
We had 2 more corners then them. Meanwhile, we were out-possessed, out-shot, out-passed, and they had 23 crosses to our 11. And Horvath also saved our neck a couple of times.