2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

That kid from South Park Colorado just scores goals.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also I am glad a kid names Weah picked playing for his mom's country. Going to like seeing these kids develop.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Maybe I should try this for my Tuesday night league at the Maryland Soccerplex...This is great!
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-toe ... -york-city
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

USA announced 6 game fall set
September 7th Brazil At MetLife Stadium (7:30 FS1)...tickets go on sale Friday at 10 Eastern
September 11th Mexico in Nashville (8:30 ESPN)...tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10 Central

October
2 home matches

November
15th at Wembley v. Engerland (3pm ESPN2)
20th at TBD v. Italy (3pm FS1)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So the Bundesliga website posted their Wunderkids to watch team. Yanks put 4 in the 11. Christian Pulisic, Josh Sargent, Jonathan Klinsmann and Weston McKennie
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Did I see a note yesterday that Sargent had scored for Werder?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:41 pm Did I see a note yesterday that Sargent had scored for Werder?
Yeah 2 minutes into a 45 minute scrimmage. Aron J. (who has been fighting injury for a bit) also scored in the 5-0 drubbing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

SBI is reporting Giovanni Reyna (son of Claudio) is leaving NYCFC Academy to go to Dortmund when he turns 16 in November. Plays U-17 national team and U18/19 NYCFC team.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jermaine Jones hangs them up. I thought he already had but guess it was just he was not able to latch on to a team. But ending with a single appearance for a PDL squad is tough.

on a related note...where did Onyewu go? Same with Maurice Edu.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 pmon a related note...where did Onyewu go? Same with Maurice Edu.
Both played for the Philadelphia Union in 2017.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think JJ was the first soccer player I loved but then realized maybe wasn't all that great towards the end.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:39 pm I think JJ was the first soccer player I loved but then realized maybe wasn't all that great towards the end.
I love JJ because he shit all over Jordan Morris for signing with the Sounders instead of playing in Germany.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 pmBut ending with a single appearance for a PDL squad is tough.
Depends on if he came or not. I mean, if he did, that's a pretty badass way to go out, IMHO.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Legit LOL.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

On a more positive spin. Think the youngster squad will show well tonight against a pretty experienced Brazil side?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:06 pmLegit LOL.
Happily I read the other thread at random just ahead of this one and this reference was hella fresh.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So listening to Grant Wahl's podcast this morning there was a reference to Sarachan not being real happy with Pulisic. I think he did not think he played well in his last outing and was not a great presence in the camp. Sounded like it came up in an interview with Ives Galarcep, but I had not seen that. Anyone have a link or some info? Grant's point was if you are working hard to get your young team playing together having him miss out is not a good thing. Pulisic has played less than 90 minutes for the USMNT in the last year.

Also hope US stomps on Mexico tonight.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 am So listening to Grant Wahl's podcast this morning there was a reference to Sarachan not being real happy with Pulisic. I think he did not think he played well in his last outing and was not a great presence in the camp. Sounded like it came up in an interview with Ives Galarcep, but I had not seen that. Anyone have a link or some info? Grant's point was if you are working hard to get your young team playing together having him miss out is not a good thing. Pulisic has played less than 90 minutes for the USMNT in the last year.

I hope not. I desperately want to continue to believe that Pulisic is a perfect person with a perfect locker room presence. I read somewhere that Sarachan was told not to call in Pulisic, because they wanted to bring in kids that don't have first team experience, and to allow him to stay with Dortmund, while Bobby Wood gets called in because he wasn't playing well with his clubs, and they wanted to get him going. If that's true, not sure when Yedlin keeps getting called in, unless it's a numbers game, and we don't have options at right back, while we have a lot of attacking options.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 am So listening to Grant Wahl's podcast this morning there was a reference to Sarachan not being real happy with Pulisic. I think he did not think he played well in his last outing and was not a great presence in the camp. Sounded like it came up in an interview with Ives Galarcep, but I had not seen that. Anyone have a link or some info? Grant's point was if you are working hard to get your young team playing together having him miss out is not a good thing. Pulisic has played less than 90 minutes for the USMNT in the last year.

I hope not. I desperately want to continue to believe that Pulisic is a perfect person with a perfect locker room presence. I read somewhere that Sarachan was told not to call in Pulisic, because they wanted to bring in kids that don't have first team experience, and to allow him to stay with Dortmund, while Bobby Wood gets called in because he wasn't playing well with his clubs, and they wanted to get him going. If that's true, not sure when Yedlin keeps getting called in, unless it's a numbers game, and we don't have options at right back, while we have a lot of attacking options.
found the article
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/should-u ... vmy25m9taj
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What that article doesn't say, and it's a massive issue, is that because Pulisic is pretty much the ONLY player on the MNT that is dangerous with the ball at his feet, opposing teams spend most of the game kicking the shit out of him.

I agree with the article: If he turns around and plays on the weekend, that's some bullshit. But if he's carrying a knock around, it's absolute bullshit to take a shot at him and his commitment to the national team.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

1.) If you have not seen Matt Miazga's minor incident with Diego Lainez from last night...worth the 2 minutes

2.) I understand the red card, but the announcers made it sound like he went in to break ankles. Looked to me from the replays that he just slipped trying to cut. Still dangerous but not sure it was vicious.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:09 am 1.) If you have not seen Matt Miazga's minor incident with Diego Lainez from last night...worth the 2 minutes

2.) I understand the red card, but the announcers made it sound like he went in to break ankles. Looked to me from the replays that he just slipped trying to cut. Still dangerous but not sure it was vicious.
Diego Lainez is going to be a force for Mexico. He played really well and made Trapp look like a stumbling fool a couple of times. I'm still not sure why Lainez and Miazga got into that altercation, though. It looked like two determined players trying to win the ball. My guess is Miazga tried to intimidate Lainez, and frankly, I thought he looked stupid doing so.

I don't think the announcers made it sound like it was malicious, but it's always going to be a straight red when you make a studs up tackle, regardless of whether the player slipped or the ball forced the spikes up.

Julian Green played really well after he came on for McKennie, and having Antonee Robinson replace Eric Lichaj greatly improved the US attack. But otherwise, this looked like the same USMNT as before, one that lacks the guts to try something new.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Look, short dudes love getting in the face of bigger stronger guys on a soccer field because they know nothing's going to happen. Miazga is just pointing out how ridiculous it is for Lianez to get in his face.

I thought it was hilarious, but I also found Dempsey mean mugging that Jamaican hilarious, so... YMMV.

I think the US and Sarachan are doing a decent job mixing in young guys, which is going to result in a lot of choppy, disjointed play. They still won this game, and I thought they did a decent job against Brazil the other night.

I'm getting old. I just don't get worked up for games when we're a solid 18-20 months away from qualifying. Next summer and the Gold Cup... New coach will be in place... Let's start to really analyze the squad at that point. Now? Just seems really premature to take much of anything on a squad level all that seriously. Individuals can make a name, and guys like Weah are stepping up. That's all I really take from these.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

From what I have read Miazga is known as a trash talker. He had some body language after the shirt pull and then when Lainez reacted to that, he decided to just give him the short-business.

I like that Mexico's coach said the US tried to play dirty last night. Sounds like what a US coach would say after a loss.
"You see what their values are, they don't know how to win," Zaldivar told Univision afterward. "They poked fun, [and] tried to play a dirty game that honestly we don't think is how you should play. That's their game and we couldn't do anything about it."
http://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico/story ... how-to-win
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, just to be fair, that quote is from the guy that got red carded, the quote in the article from the coach is pretty measured.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm What that article doesn't say, and it's a massive issue, is that because Pulisic is pretty much the ONLY player on the MNT that is dangerous with the ball at his feet, opposing teams spend most of the game kicking the shit out of him.

I agree with the article: If he turns around and plays on the weekend, that's some bullshit. But if he's carrying a knock around, it's absolute bullshit to take a shot at him and his commitment to the national team.
Dortmund is playing right now, no Pulisic. Not even on the bench. Seems like a legit injury.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:23 am
I'm getting old. I just don't get worked up for games when we're a solid 18-20 months away from qualifying. Next summer and the Gold Cup... New coach will be in place... Let's start to really analyze the squad at that point. Now? Just seems really premature to take much of anything on a squad level all that seriously. Individuals can make a name, and guys like Weah are stepping up. That's all I really take from these.
Totally agree. I look at these camps as an opportunity to let the kids get some experience. Give them a taste of camp and international games, see who responds and get past the nerves. I think they should have a couple vets in there to bring stability and some gravitas in the locker room. I think there is something to be said for the kids practicing with Josie or Bradley and feeling like it's a men's team camp, not a youth squad. I'm happy with the maturity these kids are showing. It wasn't always pretty or the quality I'd love to see, but they all showed they belong, and as a team, they played well together. That was a stacked Brazil side, and while we never looked like we were going to win, we held our own and every player looked like they belonged on the field with Brazil.

I had completely forgotten that a neighbor was a mascot for the Brazil game. His academy team got to walk out with the players for the anthem. He walked out with Fred. His mother told me about it a month ago, and I forgot to tell my kids, They were watching the pregame, and started yelling "Will is on TV!!!" What a cool experience. I'm slightly disappointed the kid was hoping to get paired with a Brazilian rather than American player, but I get it.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm I had completely forgotten that a neighbor was a mascot for the Brazil game. His academy team got to walk out with the players for the anthem. He walked out with Fred. His mother told me about it a month ago, and I forgot to tell my kids, They were watching the pregame, and started yelling "Will is on TV!!!" What a cool experience. I'm slightly disappointed the kid was hoping to get paired with a Brazilian rather than American player, but I get it.
So what did that cost?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm What that article doesn't say, and it's a massive issue, is that because Pulisic is pretty much the ONLY player on the MNT that is dangerous with the ball at his feet, opposing teams spend most of the game kicking the shit out of him.

Dortmund is playing right now, no Pulisic. Not even on the bench. Seems like a legit injury.
They fucking shamed him into skipping a club game, the bastards.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pulisic torn calf muscle.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dammit! I'm going next Thursday night, and was really looking forward to seeing him live.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure he'll live. Hahahahahahaha!!!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This is an interesting game. U.S. attacking well but playing terrible defense. Also the U.S. has not found a starting goalie yet. Steffan looks really uncomfortable in his positioning. I think Hamid is the choice as a shot stopper but he has not played well with the USMNT. Kenny S and Acosta are making a mark.

Also Bradley is not looking good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s not a great sign for the squad, but it’s pretty dope that Ben Sweat got capped tonight.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 pm It’s not a great sign for the squad, but it’s pretty dope that Ben Sweat got capped tonight.
In his hometown. The crowd was like 20 or 30 to 1 Colombia. So much.yellow.

They were quite good natured though, and I really enjoyed the game. James is amazing, and I was impressed with our right side. Not so much the left side.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Robinson is going to be very good, but hoo boy was a mess on the left. And it's hard to say without going back and paying more attention, but his partner on the left Saief, probably didn't help him out too much.

If you locked down that left side just a little bit better, the US might've gotten a result last night. I thought Acosta, Weah, eventually Woods, flashes of Green, and I disagree about Bradley - thought he was a steadying presence and he wasn't constantly turning around and playing it backwards.

The adjustment of putting two forwards high changed everything to the good in the second half. I really hate playing with a lone striker. We don't have anyone good enough to do that. Zlatan aint walking through that door.

I also disagree on Steffen. I'm not saying he was amazing, but you can't really fault him on any of those goals. The defense was just bad. I mean, you're playing one of the better teams on the planet, they're going to make you look bad at times. But the marking and positioning and frankly the work rate (Brooks and Yedlin) were just bad.

Back to Weah... That kid is going to be AMAZING in Concacaf. Pulisic and Weah on opposite ends... There're going to be terrors.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 am Robinson is going to be very good, but hoo boy was a mess on the left. And it's hard to say without going back and paying more attention, but his partner on the left Saief, probably didn't help him out too much.

If you locked down that left side just a little bit better, the US might've gotten a result last night. I thought Acosta, Weah, eventually Woods, flashes of Green, and I disagree about Bradley - thought he was a steadying presence and he wasn't constantly turning around and playing it backwards.

The adjustment of putting two forwards high changed everything to the good in the second half. I really hate playing with a lone striker. We don't have anyone good enough to do that. Zlatan aint walking through that door.

I also disagree on Steffen. I'm not saying he was amazing, but you can't really fault him on any of those goals. The defense was just bad. I mean, you're playing one of the better teams on the planet, they're going to make you look bad at times. But the marking and positioning and frankly the work rate (Brooks and Yedlin) were just bad.

Back to Weah... That kid is going to be AMAZING in Concacaf. Pulisic and Weah on opposite ends... There're going to be terrors.
Look at Bradley on the counter attack goal. He just did not run back with the guy. The back took the blame but his lack of effort was a reason the Colombian made the run.

Not blaming Steffen on the goals, but rather his positioning on some of the other plays. Just got lost out there a few times.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well England is putting value into this friendly. Rooney will get his 120th cap and a farewell at Wembly.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/england/stor ... at-wembley
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So what happens to the United States Youth National team between U-20 and U-23? I know the Olympic qualification process is harder because of fewer slots BUT this is ridiculous. Yes competition in the early round is garbage, but Mexico is not beating teams this badly. and T&T is not terrible.

The US is playing in the U-20 Concacaf qualification tournament.
First game 7-1 (Puerto Rico)
Second game 13-0 (Virgin Island)
Third Game 6-1 (Trinidad & Tobago)

Historically we have been very strong at U-18 and U-20. Then the drop off hits. Maybe we are at a turning point.

Next Up St. Vinny and the Grenadines. Then Suriname before moving onto the 2nd round of group games.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This is the tournament down here at IMG, I think. I considered going down for a few games, but it just barely didn't line up with the wife and kids being out of town.