2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

U.S. roster for the next friendlies. Wonder if Canouse will get a shot soon outside of the January camp. Also no Arriola.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew).

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes), Shaq Moore (Reus Deportiu), Antonee Robinson (Wigan), Jorge Villafaña (Portland Timbers), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle), Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles FC).

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Luca de la Torre (Fulham), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC), Romain Gall (Malmo), Julian Green (Greuther Fuerth), Sebastian Lletget (Los Angeles Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain).

Forwards: Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), Bobby Wood (Hannover).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 am So what happens to the United States Youth National team between U-20 and U-23? I know the Olympic qualification process is harder because of fewer slots BUT this is ridiculous.

In the past, I'd say players going to college kills their development, but I think most of the youth national team players go pro early.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Knowing little about what makes a friendly roster this far out but why are they all mids and defenders? Do they just not classify guys that way?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Klinsmann added to the USA Roster. Not confirmed but Hertha is saying so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 am So what happens to the United States Youth National team between U-20 and U-23? I know the Olympic qualification process is harder because of fewer slots BUT this is ridiculous.

In the past, I'd say players going to college kills their development, but I think most of the youth national team players go pro early.

What has been said historically is that the US relied on their athleticism, which can carry the day at the younger ages. When they played older teams, the years of their opponents being coached on a daily basis in a professional setting surpasses the US speed and strength.

Almost all of the players in the system over the age of 18 are either playing in Europe or MLS. And the kids under 18 are mostly playing for MLS-run academies. If you go back and read my ranting-stepping back from ledge after we lost to TnT, one of the biggest problems with that WCQ round was there weren't enough guys in their mid-twenties... We either had Pulisic and few others, and then Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, etc.

You need those guys in the early- to mid-twenties to drive the team.

And if you go back and look at the guys in their twenties at the time, you saw a weird mix of guys that kind of busted out, and they came up before the MLS-USSF got it together to start pushing the Academy system. This round of WCQ is going to have a USMNT squad where top to bottom, they've come up through a professional development system.

The issue is whether any of those young guns break out. We're going to be the deepest we've ever been, but who beyond Pulisic steps up and out? Weah? Sargent? Some dude we don't even know about yet?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US seems to be playing lots of d and now be chasing to tie it up.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

u20s qualify for the World Cup with a 4-0 win against Costa Rica. Honduras tomorrow with a shot at the final. Likely US v. Mexico on Wed for the concacaf championship.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just learned that the u17 women's world cup team (playing right now) has Dennis Rodman's daughter on the roster.

https://goo.gl/images/9YMV6v
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

well surviving until Fergie time without a goal is something to hang a hat on. Looks like Ethan H is going to be the #1 if you compare the performances. Bummer he got hung out to dry at the end.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

U20s under Tab Ramos get a dos a cero over Mexico for the title. Golden ball and gloves go to us players. Mexico won the fair play award.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems like pulisic has been beat out at least for the moment. Not good. Maybe will get him a step closer to a premier league team.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Kinda crazy that Dortmund has two of the best right sided young wingers in the world right now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well if the rumors are true he could have lost his spot so he does not pickup a knock for the $70M Chelsea transfer in the January window.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The replies are...skeptical:

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'm OK with the hire, but I don't get why they took so damn long to make it. It's one thing to wait a year to hire a Guardiola or Osorio or Lopentegui, but to wait that long to hire Berhalter is unusual at best.

And seriously ... how the hell can US Soccer justify not giving Lopentegui an interview?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am I'm OK with the hire, but I don't get why they took so damn long to make it. It's one thing to wait a year to hire a Guardiola or Osorio or Lopentegui, but to wait that long to hire Berhalter is unusual at best.

And seriously ... how the hell can US Soccer justify not giving Lopentegui an interview?
Co-sign all of this.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pulisic finished 2nd in Kopa Trophy voting (best player under 21). Trophy is voted on by all former Ballon d’Or winners. He finished with 31 points in the voting while Mbappe had 110, so not close. But finished ahead of Justin Kluivert, Patrick Cutrone, Gianluigi Donnarumma and England’s Trent Alexander-Arnold.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am Pulisic finished 2nd in Kopa Trophy voting (best player under 21). Trophy is voted on by all former Ballon d’Or winners. He finished with 31 points in the voting while Mbappe had 110, so not close. But finished ahead of Justin Kluivert, Patrick Cutrone, Gianluigi Donnarumma and England’s Trent Alexander-Arnold.
And yet can't find the pitch right now for Dortmund.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am Pulisic finished 2nd in Kopa Trophy voting (best player under 21). Trophy is voted on by all former Ballon d’Or winners. He finished with 31 points in the voting while Mbappe had 110, so not close. But finished ahead of Justin Kluivert, Patrick Cutrone, Gianluigi Donnarumma and England’s Trent Alexander-Arnold.
Think they're keeping him off so he doesn't get hurt before they sell him in January. Last I read Chelsea want him but he wants to go to Liverpool.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 am
Think they're keeping him off so he doesn't get hurt before they sell him in January. Last I read Chelsea want him but he wants to go to Liverpool.
Hope that is really it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

And here I thought that kid had a good head on his shoulders.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I don't think there's much chance that Pulisic all of a sudden had some precipitous drop in his play.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 am Yeah, I don't think there's much chance that Pulisic all of a sudden had some precipitous drop in his play.
He could have been passed by another wunderkind.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd really rather he didn't go to Liverpool because I inherently link them to Red Sox fans.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He's dealing with injuries, and Jadon Sancho (who came out of nowhere) is better than he is.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eat shit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:23 pm He's dealing with injuries, and Jadon Sancho (who came out of nowhere) is better than he is.
Anyone catch his interview at halftime of either the Italy or England game? Something to the effect of "now that I'm older, injuries are becoming more of a problem." Bitch, you just turned 20!
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:23 pm He's dealing with injuries, and Jadon Sancho (who came out of nowhere) is better than he is.
Anyone catch his interview at halftime of either the Italy or England game? Something to the effect of "now that I'm older, injuries are becoming more of a problem." Bitch, you just turned 20!
Right. I guess I will go ahead and confess to being a bit worried about his trajectory at this point.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm
Right. I guess I will go ahead and confess to being a bit worried about his trajectory at this point.
An American teenager hyped as a potential superstar? What could possibly go wrong?

In fairness, Pulisic is completely different than all previous great American hopes, because so much of his talent comes from soccer intelligence and a deep understanding of the game, rather than Freddy Adu who physically peaked at 14, and seemed amazing simply because of his age. Pulisic has also proven he can make a major impact in Champions League and international games, but I refuse to let myself get too excited or have any expectations of him reaching his potential. He is better situated to succeed than any American before him, but I'm waiting to see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if Weah ends up having a better career, but I don't think Weah is a guy you can build the team around, even if he realizes his potential. I just hope with Pulisic, Weah, Sargent, McKennie, and Adams, we can build a new team identity, and actually compete. I'll be satisfied with qualifying for the WC at this point, but man we have some promising young talent.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Even though Sancho is better, I'm not worried at all. Pulisic is barely not a teenager, playing attacking right wing on a team that happens to also have the other best young attacking right winger in the world on the roster, and CP has been injured. He'll move on and be fine, or Sancho will move on and CP will be fine, or they'll both move on. Favre seems to only want to play either of them at right attacking wing, and TBH, who can blame him? Dude has Dortmund on top of the Bundesliga by 7 pts, and ahead of Bayern by 9.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US Soccer Foundation is suing US Soccer (USSF). Basically proactive approach as US Soccer was trying to get the foundation to change its name and logo and such. Oh and the US Soccer Federation President.....always was a board member of the Foundation. US Soccer is ending the relationship.

US Soccer Foundation was the result of $50M from the success of the 94 world cup. $125M invested in minority and under served communities. Figure they will get to 100,000 kids this year. Thought is USSF wants to grab control in advance of 2026 WC.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm not giving Wahl shit here, but that story obviously is missing what's really motivating the USSF in all of this. If they are essentially pulling their support from a non-profit that is fairly successfully tapping into inner-city and hispanic communities, they better have a better reason than some nebulous "using the name to fund raise to build a new national training center."

Sorry, but that doesn't really make any sense. Lots of ways to accomplish that without this behind the scenes drama.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm Yeah, I'm not giving Wahl shit here, but that story obviously is missing what's really motivating the USSF in all of this. If they are essentially pulling their support from a non-profit that is fairly successfully tapping into inner-city and hispanic communities, they better have a better reason than some nebulous "using the name to fund raise to build a new national training center."

Sorry, but that doesn't really make any sense. Lots of ways to accomplish that without this behind the scenes drama.
I hoping the reason is USSF thinks they can do more with those communities and the Foundation has gotten lazy, inefficient, or what not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm Yeah, I'm not giving Wahl shit here, but that story obviously is missing what's really motivating the USSF in all of this. If they are essentially pulling their support from a non-profit that is fairly successfully tapping into inner-city and hispanic communities, they better have a better reason than some nebulous "using the name to fund raise to build a new national training center."

I hoping the reason is USSF thinks they can do more with those communities and the Foundation has gotten lazy, inefficient, or what not.
Yeah, I could buy into a case where they want the in-roads to be a lot more about actually finding the elite talent. Foundation guy says at least 2 times in the Wahl article that it's not about finding those elite players, but helping the most kids they can.

While that's laudable, we need to be doing a lot more, and in a much more strategic manner. And I've met with Foundation guys in the past... They are really not all that focused (if at all) on building pipelines to better clubs (which puts kids on the national radar).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sargent will be in the 18 for Werder Bremen today
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am Sargent will be in the 18 for Werder Bremen today
He scored on his first touch ever in the Bundesliga. He headed in a goal from about a foot away from the goal line. Good for him!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:12 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am Sargent will be in the 18 for Werder Bremen today
He scored on his first touch ever in the Bundesliga. He headed in a goal from about a foot away from the goal line. Good for him!
Just saw the highlight on twitter. Probably stole the goal from Martin Harnik (who had one about 5 minutes earlier) as that ball probably would have gone in, but could not risk it (or even worse not head it and just have it bounce off him). But still good for him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Interesting read.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was awesome.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I get his criticism with the hiring process but why the hate for berhalter? How does he know whether the guy is the right answer. Seems like height have talked to guys that actually played for or with him. Only about 1000 guys around that could opine. With way, the games are pretty much the only arbiter and we are two years(?) out from a meaningful game. And why are all these other guys somehow better for this job, nevermind that they need to actually convince them to take it. Not so sure usmnt manager is a gig the top coaches would be but so interested in.