Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

A Top-Tier Pro Sporting First

Post by howard »

North Carolina man rolls 1st PBA 900 series

But reversion to the mean is a bitch
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Re: A Top-Tier Pro Sporting First

Post by brian »

Damn. Very impressive.

My bowling center, because they're a bunch of fucking morons, have been making our league bowl on an oil pattern used for the USBC National Championships for the last several weeks* and it has been a bloodbath on our scoring. I'm always impressed when the pros are throwing rocks on that shizz.

* - the why's of which probably too boring to get into unless you're a bowler
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That would be interesting to do, once. But, damn, like shooting on 11 foot baskets.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

brian wrote:Damn. Very impressive.

My bowling center, because they're a bunch of fucking morons, have been making our league bowl on an oil pattern used for the USBC National Championships for the last several weeks*
Two suggestions:

1) Stop being fancy and just roll the fucking ball straight.

2) Adapt.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It's probably similar to playing from Championship tees, Zman. Same game, different fucking sport.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I read an article one time that said that back in the old days, bowling drew higher ratings on ABC Saturday afternoons than most other sports. But, because it was viewed by the network execs as a blue-collar sport of schmoes, the networks didn't want to be associated with it, and bowling, as a widely televised sport, faded. Sorry, just going from memory - no link.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I remember that analysis, sck. But I also remember the bowling ratings declining, and college hoops gaining in popularity. Bowling in the society fell in popularity over the 70s and 80s. College hoops were much more often syndicated on local stations rather than a network staple. Much less a staple of three different broadcast networks. Dropping bowling in favor of college hoops was in part keeping up with NBC and CBS. There was more going on than just a blue-collar demo, and I think other factors were more important. But this easy, simple excuse was oft told.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:It's probably similar to playing from Championship tees, Zman. Same game, different fucking sport.
Yeah, I wish it had occurred to me to follow ZMan's suggestion and try to adapt to the different lane conditions. Kind of kicking myself here.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:Bowling in the society fell in popularity over the 70s and 80s.

Ever read Bowling Alone? I think it would be right up your alley.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote:
howard wrote:Bowling in the society fell in popularity over the 70s and 80s.

Ever read Bowling Alone? I think it would be right up your alley.
You know, back when I read that it had caught Bubba Clinton's notice, I tracked it down and read it.* I fell asleep before finishing it. Thought it was a waste of time.

But, I try to be open minded. I'll give it another go. Giants' game doesn't start for a bit.

ETA: *The essay, not the subsequent expansion into a book. That is all I am committing to, the essay.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I was close. I read the title and said, "OMG Pete Weber finally came out."
mini puke to 1,558
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:It's probably similar to playing from Championship tees, Zman. Same game, different fucking sport.
Yeah, I wish it had occurred to me to follow ZMan's suggestion and try to adapt to the different lane conditions. Kind of kicking myself here.
IMHO, suggestion #1 was more realistic.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And Brian, I think I'd be interested in the differences in oil pattens and what it changes. Because, much like Zman, my method is throw the ball as straight and as hard as possible at all times.

Which leads to my sterling 104 average or something like that. I bowled a 194 one time. Had a chance to break two hundred with my last ball. Hit two pins.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:And Brian, I think I'd be interested in the differences in oil pattens and what it changes. Because, much like Zman, my method is throw the ball as straight and as hard as possible at all times.

Which leads to my sterling 104 average or something like that. I bowled a 194 one time. Had a chance to break two hundred with my last ball. Hit two pins.
Can't believe I actually have to explain this to ZMan, but OK.

For one thing, basic geometry dictates that if you can throw a hook to strike the 1-3 pocket at a 90 degree angle you will be able to wipe out a lot more pins with your ball. There is no "perfect" angle or shot of course, but it has been pretty extensively studied and the issue with a straight ball is that you're at the mercy of pin action which is essentially random (of course you are still subject to some -- though much lesser -- degree of randomness with a hook shot).

There are a couple half-decent bowlers in my league who throw a straight ball. It's not to say that it can't be done. But you're never going to be able to consistently score well.

To answer AB's question, it mostly has to do with where on the lanes the oil is applied. Generally speaking, less oil is good because it gives you better control over your shot if you're a consistent bowler. Much like golf, the game rewards players who have good muscle memory and can throw a consistent shot especially over lane patterns that stay consistent. Of course, the latter is where the issue comes in.

Oil is typically applied about half way down the lane and the main difference between the typical bowling center/house league and a pro/national championship shot is the consistency of where the oil is applied across the entire lane (i.e. from channel to channel). That's a vast oversimplification because there are literally many, many specific oil patterns that the pros/tournaments use, but that's a good enough Cliffs Notes version.

The main issue is that when you and all of the other people you are bowling with (even the ones who throw a straight ball) throw your ball you are dragging that oil further and further down the alley. This is where the problems occur and where consistency becomes harder and harder.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The above is also why lefties tend to have (relative to their numbers in the general population) a lot more success in pro bowling. Since there are fewer lefties there are fewer bowlers dragging their oil down that side of the lane. Meaning they can throw their shot more consistently and don't have to adjust as much to the changing lane conditions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The difference between straight balls and hooking is like the difference between punching somebody in the forehead and the temple.

As brian explained, it's certainly not to be fancy. And in my experience, it's easier to consistently roll it into the right spots.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

My lefthandedness must explain my 215 game in college.

Or blind squirrel finding a nut and all that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I went bowling last night with a friend of mine. I haven't bowled in probably two years, and my friend said he hadn't played in almost 20.

Somehow I managed to score a 202 in the second game, which is my new personal best. It beat my previous personal best of 201, which I rolled when I was 14 or 15 years old.

I might need to visit a bowling center a little more frequently than every couple of years.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I've gone bowling at least three times in the last two weeks, and I'm probably going again tonight. I'm also considering buying a ball and join a league next winter. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy gear or recommend a specific kind of ball? I usually line up on the fifth board from the right, roll it straight and try to get it to break into the 1-3 pocket. I tend to roll the ball medium to medium-hard.

It sure seems bowling ball technology has changed a ton since I last looked at them. There are so many options these days I have no idea where to start.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ZMan will be along shortly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo moves into the lead in the "Most Like Mister D's Dad" race.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:Sabo moves into the lead in the "Most Like Mister D's Dad" race.
I just turned 43, so I figured I'd better start pursuing every old man activity there is. I'll save the shuffleboard for later.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:I've gone bowling at least three times in the last two weeks, and I'm probably going again tonight. I'm also considering buying a ball and join a league next winter. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy gear or recommend a specific kind of ball? I usually line up on the fifth board from the right, roll it straight and try to get it to break into the 1-3 pocket. I tend to roll the ball medium to medium-hard.

It sure seems bowling ball technology has changed a ton since I last looked at them. There are so many options these days I have no idea where to start.
Do you have a pricepoint?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Sabo wrote:I've gone bowling at least three times in the last two weeks, and I'm probably going again tonight. I'm also considering buying a ball and join a league next winter. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy gear or recommend a specific kind of ball? I usually line up on the fifth board from the right, roll it straight and try to get it to break into the 1-3 pocket. I tend to roll the ball medium to medium-hard.

I'd say the max I would pay for a ball is about $150. I looked at some stuff on bowlingball.com, and I found a Pyramid model that looks like it would be a good fit for my game. It was about $80 on that site.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

also ten pin bowling is for the birds....Duck Pin is the only way to roll. (Now just waiting for tb to once again showing his ignorance of all things good about the town he choose to reside.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I'd say the max I would pay for a ball is about $150. I looked at some stuff on bowlingball.com, and I found a Pyramid model that looks like it would be a good fit for my game. It was about $80 on that site.
While it's tempting to buy online, after you factor in getting the ball drilled, you're going to pay about an extra $60 for that $80 ball. I'd start by going to the pro shop of your favorite bowling center and talking to the staff there, talking about exactly what you've said here -- you don't want to spend a whole bunch, it's your first ball, looking to maybe join a league here soon, etc., etc. Tell them how you throw the ball -- if you go during a time when they're not too busy, most will even watch you throw about 5 or 6 house balls to get a feel for the ball you throw.

If you buy a ball from most pro shops, they'll either include drilling in the cost or it will be really cheap so it works out to be pretty close sometimes. (Sometimes. Depends on the pro shop and their level of expertise and honesty. Regardless, when you're talking to them about the price of the ball(s) you're looking at make sure the total price you're getting from them includes drilling the ball.)

If you do buy a ball online make sure to pay an extra $10 or whatever it is for the drilling insurance.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, Brian. I knew the drilling was going to be extra, but I thought the online cost savings would make it worth the hassle of having it drilled locally. I was going to get the drilling insurance if I bought it online.

My bowling center has a pro shop, but it's been closed every time I've been there. I'll try to swing down there during the day some time and see what they say.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Thanks, Brian. I knew the drilling was going to be extra, but I thought the online cost savings would make it worth the hassle of having it drilled locally. I was going to get the drilling insurance if I bought it online.

My bowling center has a pro shop, but it's been closed every time I've been there. I'll try to swing down there during the day some time and see what they say.
Buying online still might be the way to go -- let your feelings about how you're treated at the pro shop be your guide. The pro shop at my alley in Detroit was awesome -- I was always happy to give them the business. The pro shops here in Las Vegas -- not so much. I'm in the market for a new ball and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brian...as if there is a choice

Actually you better be the best guy in the state if you rock something like this.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:Thanks, Brian. I knew the drilling was going to be extra, but I thought the online cost savings would make it worth the hassle of having it drilled locally. I was going to get the drilling insurance if I bought it online.

I'm a big fan of supporting your local shop.

There are a lot of great balls at the 150$ marker. My girlfriend throws a Storm Tropical Breeze that we had drilled for under 100$. There are some nice median balls if you step up towards 150. Even though you're throwing a straight ball I would consider getting it drilled to tips and learning how to throw that way. You don't need to crank the ball to make it hook, and a pin up fingertip pattern would go a long way in helping you get some angle on the pocket. More angle gets you more carry.

I'm currently rolling a Brunswick C System Maxxed Out at 15lbs with tips. I've brought my average up close to 60 pins in the last year and a half with this ball and went from a straight ball roller to a very confident low hook stroker in that time too. I also carry an Ebonite Maxim plastic ball also 15 and tip drilled for picking up spares on the right side of the lane.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think BSF just broke the mister d signal.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:I think BSF just broke the mister d signal.
That was the plan halfway through

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote:I'm a big fan of supporting ... great balls ... My girlfriend ... would consider getting ... drilled ... and learning how to ... finger...

I'm currently ... a straight ... very confident ... stroker ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All the words were there but I couldn't make it flow.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Work was a little slow this afternoon, so I ran down to the local pro shop and got fitted for a ball. I ended up getting an Ebonite Cyclone, which is an entry-level ball. It's getting drilled tomorrow morning and should be in my hands by late afternoon. The cost of buying a ball online and then getting it drilled locally was a wash, so I just went ahead and got it done.

Looking forward to murdering some pins with that thing.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Make sure you hit 'em with the Fred Flintstone:

My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:Work was a little slow this afternoon, so I ran down to the local pro shop and got fitted for a ball. I ended up getting an Ebonite Cyclone, which is an entry-level ball. It's getting drilled tomorrow morning and should be in my hands by late afternoon. The cost of buying a ball online and then getting it drilled locally was a wash, so I just went ahead and got it done.

Let me know how it goes. Did you go tips or conventional drilling?

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Sabo wrote:Work was a little slow this afternoon, so I ran down to the local pro shop and got fitted for a ball. I ended up getting an Ebonite Cyclone, which is an entry-level ball. It's getting drilled tomorrow morning and should be in my hands by late afternoon. The cost of buying a ball online and then getting it drilled locally was a wash, so I just went ahead and got it done.

Let me know how it goes. Did you go tips or conventional drilling?
Went with tips and the rubberized plugs. The pro suggested I go with tips right away, as he said it would help me get more hook on the ball without really trying. He said when I get it tomorrow afternoon, he'll watch me roll it a few times to make sure I like the fit. I was surprised at how precisely measured the fitting process was. He took many more measurements than I expected.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What the hell are tips?
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote:What the hell are tips?
When you pick up a normal bowling ball, you insert your thumb and fingers up to the second knuckle. When you drill to the tips, that means you only put your fingers in up to the first knuckle. Most of the ball weight is back on my thumb and my middle and ring fingers are only holding ball into the first knuckle. This helps make it easier to put spin on the ball. The holes on my ball have a rubber insert that make grasping the ball with the finger tips much more comfortable.