NFL 2017 Week 11 - the week the Millennials ruined football

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL 2017 Week 11 - the week the Millennials ruined football

Post by Joe K »

Peterman in one half threw more picks than Taylor has all season, and 1/3 as many INTs as Taylor has thrown in all 38 of his games as the Bills' starter. But at least he's whi.., I mean, a "pocket passer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:If only it were possible to foresee a potential disaster like this.

I have been a Bills fan for 40 years or so.

I have never, ever seen anything as abysmal as this. Who thought that this, this THING, was an NFL-ready quarterback?

And because this is the sort of stat that keeps Bills fans from enjoying their lives, let me just mention that Tom Brady has thrown 5 pickoffs in his last 29 games.

Some idiot in the Bills Mafia posted this on Thursday.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:If only it were possible to foresee a potential disaster like this.

I have been a Bills fan for 40 years or so.

I have never, ever seen anything as abysmal as this. Who thought that this, this THING, was an NFL-ready quarterback?

Did you read the Mina Kimes piece about Taylor from a few weeks ago? It was published when the Bills were 5-2, and in first place in their division, and she pointed out how many Bills fans were clamoring for Peterman.
On Monday during the following bye week, the bar at Duff's Famous Wings -- the best or second-best wings place in the city, depending on whom you ask -- is brimming with Bills fans. Baseball is on, but the conversation turns, as it so often does around here, to football. A middle-aged woman in a Bills sweatshirt starts to explain why she's optimistic about the team (then 3-2), with its unexpectedly strong defense, but she's interrupted by her friend. "Tyrod blows," he says. "He can't throw the ball far enough." He adds that Taylor is no better than draft bust EJ Manuel. "They're the same quarterback."

The woman sighs. She's partial to rookie backup Nathan Peterman, a pocket passer selected in the fifth round, and she wants Taylor to sit. "He hasn't done anything for us for the last couple of years," she says.

I wonder why fans thought Taylor was "the same" as Manuel, or that Peterman would be preferable?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Because they’re both black #mysterysolved #detectiveD
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Because they’re both black #mysterysolved #detectiveD

No doubt about it.

Listen, Taylor is average at best - but the team was winning and the alternative was a 5th rounder. And of course, they didnt want to sign Taylor after the season. God I hope he goes to Denver and wins a Super Bowl.

And the problem with this team is that for some reason, what looked like a top five defence reverted to playing like the Ryans were still in charge.

And now? Who the hell does this misbegotten squad beat? Young coach McWhitey went from being a great hire to a complete f-ing moron in three weeks. 135 points (and counting) surrendered in that time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

texans finally use d'onta foreman in a game and he suffers a season ending achilles injury...goddamnit this season is cursed. watson lost, watt lost, mercilus lost, covington lost, fuller cant stay healthy, cushing suspended, and now foreman lost? why the fuck cant somebody take out tom savage
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's a little late for the Cowboys to tank for the #1 pick if that's what they're thinking.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Broncos outsuck the Bengals to move Cincinnati to 4-6. The Ravens currently the 6th playoff team at 5-5 in a terrible AFC.

My waking nightmare --- the Bengals limp to 7-9, the last playoff spot is 8-8, and Marvin is brought back because he kept the Bengals in it...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote:The Broncos outsuck the Bengals to move Cincinnati to 4-6. The Ravens currently the 6th playoff team at 5-5 in a terrible AFC.

My waking nightmare --- the Bengals limp to 7-9, the last playoff spot is 8-8, and Marvin is brought back because he kept the Bengals in it...

Hopefully the Lions beat the Ravens and the Bengals to make that scenario plausible.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:The Broncos outsuck the Bengals to move Cincinnati to 4-6. The Ravens currently the 6th playoff team at 5-5 in a terrible AFC.

Hopefully the Lions beat the Ravens and the Bengals to make that scenario plausible.

The Bengals are REALLY bad, and so are the Ravens. Rest easy, there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:

Not sure you're acquainted with the Lions run defense...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:

Wow, just wow. Behind the Ravens are the...

Buffalo Bills (5-5). Six teams -- the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Texans, Chargers and Raiders -- are 4-6.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Chargers are by far the best of these teams?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the Chargers are by far the best of these teams?

Looks right to me. In theory, the Raiders should be better, but that's a straight-up tire fire at this point.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There's a thread on the NFL reddit where someone worked out a scenario that the Browns still make the playoffs.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:

Wow, just wow. Behind the Ravens are the...

Buffalo Bills (5-5). Six teams -- the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Texans, Chargers and Raiders -- are 4-6.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Chargers are by far the best of these teams?

The Chargers are by FAR the best of those teams. And, yes, the Bengals et al are just one game out of the last wild card spot. It's a joke.

And, Brian, check out the bengals run offense. They have a chance to challenge running futility NFL league records dating back to at least 1946.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There's a 1-game difference right now between the 7th pick and the 18th pick (19th if SEA wins tonight)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Bengals' blocking is beyond atrocious. It's hilarious.

Of course, only everybody saw that as an issue coming into the season.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Rush2112 wrote:

There's a thread on the NFL reddit where someone worked out a scenario that the Browns still make the playoffs.

As it stands, according to last week's Scramble for the Ball on Football Outsiders, San Francisco is the first team out of the playoffs if Seattle wins tonight.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since we don't have a fantasy football omnibus thread, guess I'll share this here.

Just checked my email and had a cryptically-named message from my best friend titled "Playboy Mansion".

Turns out he tied for first in some weekly FanDuel thing where the weekly prize is a trip to watch the conference championship games at the Playboy Mansion with the other weekly winners. Since they had the same lineup, the two face off next week to decide who wins the trip, so in other words he has a 50/50 chance. And I would be his +1. Fingers crossed!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gunpowder wrote:The Bengals' blocking is beyond atrocious. It's hilarious.

It is actual comedy. Everything about it - from the fact that the team thought this could work to the coaching of same. People who haven’t watched it can’t properly comprehend how bad it is - especially the run blocking.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:

It is actual comedy. Everything about it - from the fact that the team thought this could work to the coaching of same. People who haven’t watched it can’t properly comprehend how bad it is - especially the run blocking.

Good lord - they are averaging 3.0 yards per carry!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

Good lord - they are averaging 3.0 yards per carry!

Is it that much? Feels like less. I’ve watched every game. It is a masterpiece of horrible blocking.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Besides everyone, who could've thought losing Whitworth would have such an effect?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote:Besides everyone, who could've thought losing Whitworth would have such an effect?

And Zeitler.

They had...reasons. Whitworth was old. They refuse to pay second contract rates for guards. They drafted two stiffs in Fisher and Obbuehi and it was their time and the team's time to prove everyone wrong. Etc. Etc.

So. Bad.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

But they lost a defensive player to injury!

(I'm all over the Seahawks tonight.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm hoping for a shootout for fantasy purposes
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:I'm hoping for a shootout for fantasy purposes

high five
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
A_B wrote:I'm hoping for a shootout for fantasy purposes

high five

Wasn't enough for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

With a son in law in Pittsburgh, and me an Eagles fan, I am hoping for a I-76 Superbowl.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ummm...Dion Lewis took a kickoff against the Broncos and handed to the ref without downing it whereupon the ref gave him the ball back so he could down it? Again...how the fuck do you sleep at night?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Jerloma wrote:Ummm...Dion Lewis took a kickoff against the Broncos and handed to the ref without downing it whereupon the ref gave him the ball back so he could down it? Again...how the fuck do you sleep at night?

going strictly by the rules, if the ball isn't considered dead at that point, what does the ref do, drop the ball? I'm asking because I don't know
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm not sure either. I'd think that once it touches the ref; it's a dead ball safety.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Ummm...Dion Lewis took a kickoff against the Broncos and handed to the ref without downing it whereupon the ref gave him the ball back so he could down it? Again...how the fuck do you sleep at night?

The referees are ALWAYS pretty lax on giving touchbacks after kickoffs into the end zone. I didn't see the play in question, but it doesn't sound like anything to get worked up over. I've seen a least a dozen times where a player didn't literally take a knee and backed up to about eight yards deep in the end zone and the referee just signaled touchback because the player made no effort to move forward (the player in each case might well have verbally signaled touchback).
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

That's too technical. Like in the NBA after a basket players don't always start the next sequence with both feet out of bounds
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That missed filed goal at the end of the game last night assured me of $400 in my confidence pool.

Blair Walsh is now my favourite player.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Really good breakdown on why Bills fans are loons:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/932257882917212160

Tyrod Taylor is not a great QB most likely, but he's so so so much better than a lot of people think and makes a ton of "NFL" reads and throws and such. In a shittastic offense, as was evidenced on Sunday. It's like they just say to him "well, uh, can you go and just like make 5 big plays happen? Thanks".
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And yes those are obviously chosen to prove a point but I bet there are a lot more of those and less bad plays than there are for guys like Flacco (RIP) and Dalton and even Goff and Watson. And fuckin' Osweiler? Come on. Cutler. JAMEIS. Guh.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote:Really good breakdown on why Bills fans are loons:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/932257882917212160

Tyrod Taylor is not a great QB most likely, but he's so so so much better than a lot of people think and makes a ton of "NFL" reads and throws and such. In a shittastic offense, as was evidenced on Sunday. It's like they just say to him "well, uh, can you go and just like make 5 big plays happen? Thanks".

As I've said, he is a very average QB, BUT he has the ability to make things happen out of broken plays.

Not saying much, but he's the best QB the team has had since Bledsoe's first season. Quiet guy too, but the QB is always the lightning rod...