College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Was going to watch Army-Navy but had to turn it off thanks to Gary Danielson and the jingoistic America! boners every time there’s a pause in the game.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
L-Jam3
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by L-Jam3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Too bad. The Linc looks really cool with the snow, like that Lions-Eagles game a few years back.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Starting backwards from 100, #98 (actually in a three-way tie at 97) is Dave "The Cobra" Parker with 339.

teeteebee
Brandt
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by teeteebee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Was down the game today. Sat in the end zone where the final FG attempt just missed. Great time. Had my dad and son with me. Always great to see this game in person - my first in over a decade. Pageantry, tradition and pride in country.

LJAM - was thinking of that Lions game while sitting there and watching the snow fall the entire game. My second favorite Eagles-Lions game next to the shit kicking the Birds gave them in the playoffs back in 95. Was there at the Vet day. I think Lomas Brown was there too.
oh shit...

User avatar
L-Jam3
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by L-Jam3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 pm

I guarantee Lomas Brown was at that game.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Starting backwards from 100, #98 (actually in a three-way tie at 97) is Dave "The Cobra" Parker with 339.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:04 am

Sure, Pentagonz jumps into a bunch of threads but doesn’t note how screwed Wyoming is to draw Central Michigan in the Potato Bowl.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Square Rob
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Square Rob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 am

It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 am

Square Rob wrote:It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.


I was just kidding. It actually should be a good game. They're pretty evenly matched.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Square Rob
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Square Rob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:21 pm

brian wrote:
Square Rob wrote:It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.


I was just kidding. It actually should be a good game. They're pretty evenly matched.


It really depends on if Josh Allen is healthy or not. If not, Pokes get killed.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Jesus.



I might literally have more pot than that stuck in the bowels of my keyboard.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Downtown Boise for the Potato Bowl is a little different than what Bourbon Street is like before the Sugar Bowl.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10505
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by rass » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 am

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Kind of genius how the Potato Bowl has the MAC as a tie-in. Almost verbatim quote from every CMU fan: “Yeah, it’s cold but it isn’t as bad as Kelly/Shorts in November.”
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Flyover from F-14s from Mountain Home AFB. Pretty badass.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 5285
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Charlie Weis Jr. moving from Falcons to Offensive Coordinator for Lane K at FAU. He is 24 years old
http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/17/lane-kiff ... ordinator/

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Urban Meyer is about 50/50 to be Ohio State's head coach by the end of the week (and even that might be charitable.) Fucking football coaches looking the other way at abuse when it's convenient for them.

Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 pm



I put his odds at about closer to 10 or 20 percent at this point.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11323
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Pruitt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm

A fine "Leader of Men."
The way Meyer views himself as a coach, the difficult calls are eventually made very simple by his sanctimonious, self-appointed sense of justice. Whether it was Aaron Hernandez running wild at Florida with no repercussions, Gators running back Chris Rainey texting “Time to die” to his girlfriend or star running back Carlos Hyde caught on video in a violent act before the 2013 season at Ohio State, Meyer needed nothing more than another stroke of his ego to justify giving someone chance after chance.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by mister d » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 pm

I don’t know, man. All that evidence says he’s a spineless opportunist at best but, on the other hand, he says he’s a good guy.
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11098
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by A_B » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am

1-2 odds Meyer throws his wife under the bus a la Colangelo.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

tennbengal
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4315
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by tennbengal » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:46 am

Nothing he or tOSU can do other than accept his resignation.

User avatar
phxgators
Brandt
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by phxgators » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am

I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Giff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am

phxgators wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am
I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.
Sounds like UF has really cleaned up its image.
Muh.

User avatar
phxgators
Brandt
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by phxgators » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 am

Giff wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am
phxgators wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am
I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.
Sounds like UF has really cleaned up its image.
Yeah, it's been quite a couple of weeks, hasn't it?

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3429
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am

The MSU coaches have some level of plausible deniability with what happened over there.

I don't see how Meyer survives this one. The fact that he helped cover this up while at UF, brought this guy with him to Columbus, and he's been a serial abuser for about a decade?

That's disgusting.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3429
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:18 am

But hey, Jay Paterno says this is all unfair, driven by "giddy" fans out for Urban's scalp.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootb ... meyer.html
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by mister d » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 am

The only good thing about the present state of everything is how pitch perfect the worst people tend to be. A Paterno has to be top 5 funniest Meyer defenders, right? One of them, Briles, Slava Voynov, Adrian Peterson and Warren Moon or something.
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by sancarlos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am

mister d wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 am
The only good thing about the present state of everything is how pitch perfect the worst people tend to be. A Paterno has to be top 5 funniest Meyer defenders, right? One of them, Briles, Slava Voynov, Adrian Peterson and Warren Moon or something.
Larry Nassar told me that Meyer is innocent. All he needs now is a supportive tweet from Trump.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am

Do NOT read the mentions at Eleven Warriors or any other tOSU-slanted Twitter account (the coverage from 11W itself and the other pro-tOSU outlets have been fine so far, FWIW, but the mentions. Oh lord, the mentions. We're not talking about the most rational, intelligent fanbase to begin with, but good god.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Sabo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 am

LIKE A BOSS

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11098
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by A_B » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:17 pm

We should do one of those thread split things and start the 2018 thread. We being shirley.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

tennbengal
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4315
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by tennbengal » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:29 pm

brian wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am
Do NOT read the mentions at Eleven Warriors or any other tOSU-slanted Twitter account (the coverage from 11W itself and the other pro-tOSU outlets have been fine so far, FWIW, but the mentions. Oh lord, the mentions. We're not talking about the most rational, intelligent fanbase to begin with, but good god.
It's...not great.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Donny
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am

I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

But fuck him and his lying ass. He needs to be fired, tonight.

TT2.0
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by TT2.0 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 am

A_B wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am
1-2 odds Meyer throws his wife under the bus a la Colangelo.
five swampbucks on this please. Ive always wanted to bet on a spineless coward throwing his wife under a bus
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2763
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Joe K » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:05 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am
I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

But fuck him and his lying ass. He needs to be fired, tonight.
This is really a test of how much college football (and college sports in general) cares about off-field morality. There’s obviously a pattern, going back at least to his Florida days, of Meyer turning a blind eye to off-field criminality. It feels like this *should* be it for him but a big part of me remains skeptical that OSU would fire a guy who’s without question the #2 most successful coach in the sport.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Donny
Posts: 2935
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am

I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

Why does Meyer not fire Smith at Florida? Or, if he really wants to do him a favor, makes him leave so as to not present it as a firing after the charges were dropped? He was a graduate assistant (or "intern", as Meyer called him).

And why hire him at tOSU? You're the fucking head coach at Ohio State and you can't find a different wide receiver coach?
Stick this in your trophy case.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11098
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by A_B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:55 am

Joe K wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:05 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am
I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

But fuck him and his lying ass. He needs to be fired, tonight.
This is really a test of how much college football (and college sports in general) cares about off-field morality. There’s obviously a pattern, going back at least to his Florida days, of Meyer turning a blind eye to off-field criminality. It feels like this *should* be it for him but a big part of me remains skeptical that OSU would fire a guy who’s without question the #2 most successful coach in the sport.
Ohio state has more experience firing successful coaches than most places, though.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2763
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by Joe K » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 am

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am
I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

Why does Meyer not fire Smith at Florida? Or, if he really wants to do him a favor, makes him leave so as to not present it as a firing after the charges were dropped? He was a graduate assistant (or "intern", as Meyer called him).

And why hire him at tOSU? You're the fucking head coach at Ohio State and you can't find a different wide receiver coach?
I was wondering this too. I read that Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, the former OSU coach who gave Meyer his start on coaching and then served as a career-long mentor for him. That has to be part of it, because otherwise it seems completely irrational for Meyer to go to such lengths to protect Smith.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13330
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 am

Joe K wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am
I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

Why does Meyer not fire Smith at Florida? Or, if he really wants to do him a favor, makes him leave so as to not present it as a firing after the charges were dropped? He was a graduate assistant (or "intern", as Meyer called him).

And why hire him at tOSU? You're the fucking head coach at Ohio State and you can't find a different wide receiver coach?
I was wondering this too. I read that Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, the former OSU coach who gave Meyer his start on coaching and then served as a career-long mentor for him. That has to be part of it, because otherwise it seems completely irrational for Meyer to go to such lengths to protect Smith.
Yeah, that's the only reason. Smith was like a surrogate son to Meyer because of the relationship with Earle Bruce. That doesn't excuse it, but it at least explains it. Meyer seems like a guy who thinks by force of will that he can turn shitheads like Aaron Hernandez and Chris Rainey into decent citizens, but he's just a fucking football coach, not Captain America.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

Post Reply