Jeeves is out of the loop: Parental Computing

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Jeeves is out of the loop: Parental Computing

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone been in the market for a computer lately? I'm way out of the loop. Would like to find a nice desktop/All-in-one solution for my mother for Christmas. Something she can use to browse and upload pictures to and would interface with a wireless printer/scanner. Any thoughts on where to start? iMac seems like a logical starting place, but starting at 11 seems like a lot for the minimal stuff I need. She's not running Final Cut Pro or anything. She's all but computer illiterate ifit's not word/excel/internet.

Any suggestions appreciated Frogs.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Jeeves is out of the loop: Parental Computing

Post by EnochRoot »

Do you want a Mac?

Mac Mini will do the job for you. iMac is certainly overkill.
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF, if you decide to buy a Mac, let me know and I can order it through my company (as long as you can pay by credit card). We get a small discount on most Apple products (excluding iPhones and iPads), so I can get it for you cheaper than at an Apple store.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Why not just an iPad?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:Why not just an iPad?

She has one. I think the idea is something with a little more storage and ease of use when it comes to doing documents and the like.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

For $/value the Windows world is still superior. You can get a great machine for less than a Mac and a good enough machine for way less, and a disposable machine for a steal (but this low powered things are terrible).

Also if I am going desktop, I am building my own from here on out. It is easy to do(all in 2 hours), easy to incrementally upgrade, cheaper, and no OEM software bloat.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:For $/value the Windows world is still superior. You can get a great machine for less than a Mac and a good enough machine for way less, and a disposable machine for a steal (but this low powered things are terrible).

Also if I am going desktop, I am building my own from here on out. It is easy to do(all in 2 hours), easy to incrementally upgrade, cheaper, and no OEM software bloat.

I'd love to do something like this so I could eschew all the bloatware, but I have no idea where to even begin. I know less than nothing about building a PC. Even if I could, everything I find online seems to be PCMR assholes arguing about stuff instead of simple practical pieces of a PC for a normal person. Momma ain't trying to play FarCry over here.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:For $/value the Windows world is still superior. You can get a great machine for less than a Mac and a good enough machine for way less, and a disposable machine for a steal (but this low powered things are terrible).

I'd love to do something like this so I could eschew all the bloatware, but I have no idea where to even begin. I know less than nothing about building a PC. Even if I could, everything I find online seems to be PCMR assholes arguing about stuff instead of simple practical pieces of a PC for a normal person. Momma ain't trying to play FarCry over here.

I'm not sure you want to build a machine for your mother, and not only for the reasons you noted. If something goes wrong with it, it'll be your job to pinpoint the failure and then return that component to be fixed / replaced. Or you can take the machine to a shop to get fixed.

Or you can buy a machine that has a couple years' warranty, and if you're buying a PC - remove the bloatware yourself.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:... It is easy to do(all in 2 hours), easy to incrementally upgrade, cheaper, ...

... until you destroy a motherboard by bending all the pins trying to fit it into the slot.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

i agree and i have it in mind since I'm likely buying a laptop for my daughter for high school graduation. But what's the over/under for how long until the PC acquires debilitating virus/malware?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:... It is easy to do(all in 2 hours), easy to incrementally upgrade, cheaper, ...

... until you destroy a motherboard by bending all the pins trying to fit it into the slot.

My kid just did this. I managed not to say I told him so, but only barely.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Moreta wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

My kid just did this. I managed not to say I told him so, but only barely.

See, my kid asked me to install that piece because he wasn't able to fit it in. So I was the one who f'd the thing up.

And it's good to see you back here, Moreta.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:

I did not either when I built this one with my kid. I used
https://pcpartpicker.com/ and a trip to microcenter and one youtube video.

As for removing bloatware
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2337550,00.asp