Rap

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Rap

Post by govmentchedda »

Gunpowder wrote:I know people prefer their old school rappers and all but dropping Kendrick Lamar into 1988 would be like placing Khalil Mack on the 1958 Packers.

Agreed. Also, to bring this back a bit, I like the Roots, but had absolutely no idea what Black Thought was capable of.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ehhhhhhh, I’d argue that’s him being so much better than his peers than him being so much better historically. Public enemy, ATCQ, early common, Nas, Black Star ... is he really some next level above them?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's more a thing about flow and the complexity of putting the words together. Not necessarily "better" or "worse."

Plus, the beats these days (and for the last decade plus for that matter) are so far above anything, that it leads a rapper to rhyme in such a different way sometimes as well.

I think this was posted here before, but it's worth posting again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWveXdj6oZU

Sidenote: The new Eminem album came out just a couple days ago. If anyone is wondering.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can free spotify users make playlists?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Can free spotify users make playlists?

Yes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm going to spend way too much time making a rap playlist this week.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:I'm going to spend way too much time making a rap playlist this week.

When you're done, can you share it with me? (Can that be done with Spotify?)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've been enjoying more hip hop this year than in years past thanks to getting to see an old friend a couple times who always turns me on to artists in that genre. Here are some artists with my favorite releases this year:

Apollo Brown
Joey Bada$$
Your Old Droog
Run the Jewels
Oddisee
Vince Staples
Talib Kweli
Freddie Gibbs
Big K.R.I.T.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright, here's my ~ one hour attempt. Only east coast, mid-90s, not in order of preference but kinda tried to group similar songs. I'll probably do two more at some point, east coast artists established before the 90s and non-east coast songs.

https://open.spotify.com/user/lasalledj ... cRQ99FeSQ2

Two notes:
1. This is the version of Big L's MVP I would have used if I had the option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLYmxdc5CE

2. No Jay-Z on Spotify means I'm missing a top 5-ish song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCsxQg3NE4
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Can't overestimate how well illadelph halflife holds up. Took my own advice and listened over the weekend. No one should be shocked by the black thought freestyle that listened to this in the middle nineties. Brilliance but for a live drum...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Criminally underrated. You have to wonder if perception is totally different in if they released Do You Want More??? and Illadelph in 1990/91 or 98/99 rather than 95/96.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I just downloaded Spotify and put the playlist on. I really appreciate your putting that together.

I was going to share it with my son if you're okay with that, D.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Depends on how old your son is? Although I've been pretty hardcore since I was like 11 or 12 and it had no tangible effect on me.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Burn it
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:Depends on how old your son is? Although I've been pretty hardcore since I was like 11 or 12 and it had no tangible effect on me.

I just meant if there was some kind of internet security issue on your part with my sharing the list. I have no idea how Spotify works (I downloaded it specifically for that list.)

My son is 17. Young enough to be a dependent, but old enough that he won't qualify for the child tax credit under the new tax law.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This thread feels like the right place for this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc6HbPOFD1K/
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:This thread feels like the right place for this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc6HbPOFD1K/

Waitwaitwait. They cut the video right before HUMBLE. started? Weak.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, trying to find a longer version but I can't find one.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

After 28 years of consideration, I’ve officially decided my rap name would be Master Poop.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm probably misremembering, but weren't you and Alex Fritz going to be the white, suburban middle class Gang Starr and you were Biz Caz? (Short for Business Casual.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm I'm glad someone started a thread with this title, because I was thinking of starting one to ask for recommendations for beginner/classic rap songs for a 52-year-old white guy.

I have basically never listened to any rap. But I like the beats, and I really like the wordplay and rhymes. I'd prefer not to listen to songs about bitches (daughter), but otherwise I'm not offended by anything offensive.
So, as it turns out, Method Man and Redman did a show in Park City - the day I posted that. Fuck.

And Killah Priest is doing a show here on Thursday. While I will be in trial two hours away. Fuck.

Anyway, thanks again for that playlist, Mr. D. That shit has basically been like crack to me for the past two months.

I have to say, I was surprised how much rap is so mellow and jazz-based. Which I would have probably assumed I would like better, but that turns out to not be the case. Based on what I read, I've been trying like hell to get really into Illmatic, but I just can't get there. I can appreciate that it was a musical accomplishment, but the production and Nas's rapping style just don't grab me as much. It may be because I'm so new at this, so I can still be taken in by simplistic stuff like Straight Outta Compton or Hip Hop is Dead or whatever, but I find it hard to get into songs like The World is Yours or New York State of Mind unless I am listening with headphones and can concentrate on it 100%. I find that I like a lot of Nas's other songs from that album a lot more, and I prefer It Was Written to Illmatic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm I'm glad someone started a thread with this title, because I was thinking of starting one to ask for recommendations for beginner/classic rap songs for a 52-year-old white guy.

I have basically never listened to any rap. But I like the beats, and I really like the wordplay and rhymes. I'd prefer not to listen to songs about bitches (daughter), but otherwise I'm not offended by anything offensive.
So, as it turns out, Method Man and Redman did a show in Park City - the day I posted that. Fuck.

And Killah Priest is doing a show here on Thursday. While I will be in trial two hours away. Fuck.

Anyway, thanks again for that playlist, Mr. D. That shit has basically been like crack to me for the past two months.

I have to say, I was surprised how much rap is so mellow and jazz-based. Which I would have probably assumed I would like better, but that turns out to not be the case. Based on what I read, I've been trying like hell to get really into Illmatic, but I just can't get there. I can appreciate that it was a musical accomplishment, but the production and Nas's rapping style just don't grab me as much. It may be because I'm so new at this, so I can still be taken in by simplistic stuff like Straight Outta Compton or Hip Hop is Dead or whatever, but I find it hard to get into songs like The World is Yours or New York State of Mind unless I am listening with headphones and can concentrate on it 100%. I find that I like a lot of Nas's other songs from that album a lot more, and I prefer It Was Written to Illmatic.
Check out Madlib's Shades of Blue.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Thanks for that. That's a good way to start this day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I fear knowing ODB also hated Heineken will be my peak.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That was awesome. It's probably a miracle ODB lived to age 35.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A buddy of mine was writing for an Onion-type website back in the early-mid 00s and he wrote an obituary of ODB from the point of view of some stuffy British literature critic. It was so funny, but not only does he not have a copy of it, he doesn't remember it at all.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Two bangers:

The latter gets the seal of approval from me for one reason:

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Devils work track is awesome.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They'd have to thread the needle properly, but I think a name-but-not-mainstream older rapper (so Nas, not Ice Cube) could cover Folsom Prison Blues with a few words flipped to a more modern scenario and set off a far right firestorm before they realize what happened. Like it would have to be on an awards show or something so you can get instant backlash.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 am They'd have to thread the needle properly, but I think a name-but-not-mainstream older rapper (so Nas, not Ice Cube) could cover Folsom Prison Blues with a few words flipped to a more modern scenario and set off a far right firestorm before they realize what happened. Like it would have to be on an awards show or something so you can get instant backlash.
Speaking of Nas ... on 4/20 last month, Snoop Dogg and Nas did a show. In fucking Utah for some reason. Nas was great. He probably did three or four songs from Illmatic, though some were shortened versions, plus some newer stuff.

Snoop Dogg was pretty fun, though I felt a little uncomfortable when he brought out the bikini-clad pole dancers. (My 16yo daughter was supposed to go the show with me, but got sick and bailed out.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just an interesting article on How "La Di Da Di" went from B-side to most sampled song
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-la-di- ... lead_pos11
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 pm Two bangers:

The video:

Pretty awesome.